PDA

View Full Version : Manufactured home plumbing

19Kona
12-06-2006, 08:22 PM
Ok, I don't know where else to ask. I have a manufactured home in Parker (1994 vintage), it has the grey plastic water lines running throughout to all of the faucets, toilets, showers etc...
I am having problems with some of the fittings (leaks) - how do I re-crimp or.... what are you guys doing??? Can I buy a tool/parts to work with these things? and where can I get these things??

redneckcharlie
12-06-2006, 09:27 PM
the old grey piping has been the focus of many lawsuits over the years. the problem wasnt the line, it was the fittings. some rv places still stock the fittings. when i get involved with a home that still has this, i remove the existing fittings and use shark connects. a decent plumbing supply house, that supplies to the trade, should have the various fittings you'll need. they don't take any special tools, and can be used on any material. copper, plastic, galvanized, whatever. they are a little pricey but very dependable. they are rated to about two hundred psi. :rollside:

cnj
12-06-2006, 09:28 PM
First off, check your water pressure. I had the same issue. Turns out there was just over 100psi coming into my mobile. Had a pressure regulator installed and set it at 40psi....no more leaks. Yes there is a kit to install new bands and crimp them. Try Davis hardware (ACE). There also used to be a place just west of ACE, on the same street.....sold mobile home parts. Can't remember the name though.

Ultrafied
12-06-2006, 10:20 PM
Quest plumbing .... the bane to most mobile homes. There are a few places that carry them, but you may have to look hard.

86 catalina
12-06-2006, 10:53 PM
Tie into the gray with copper adaptors and then go copper.If you want to go big and if you plan on owning it for some time repipe the whole thing copper,last forever.

Seadog
12-07-2006, 07:01 AM
The best thing to use if you are going to replace any lines is PEX (Cross-linked Polyethylene) Polybutyl tubing like you have is perfectly OK, but the gaskets used on some of the compression fittings was susceptible to failure from chlorinated water. The manufactured homes fittings are copper with an aluminum band. You can recrimp them, but the tool is pricey. If there is room on the fitting, you can install a hose clamp as a fix.

OKIE-JET
12-07-2006, 07:47 AM
PEX fittings that screw together. did my whole non-manufactured home w/it and it works perfectly, you can cut into it and add anything you want at any place,. The good thing is the barbed screw together fittings dont require tooling, but they are kinda pricey.

19Kona
12-07-2006, 01:11 PM
Thank you for the replys.
What are the shark connects??? and the PEX??
I will try to buy some of this stuff in Los Angeles and truck it up with me to Parker to make the repairs, so if you know a place to buy the stuff in the San Fernando Valley I would really appreciate the tip.
Again, thank you for the help.

redneckcharlie
12-07-2006, 02:25 PM
try pexsupply.com. good luck.