PDA

View Full Version : Watch out GM, Ford and Chrysler

BreastManWins
12-07-2006, 07:31 AM
Gojira is coming (with a six-speed transmission too):
Toyota will stage the introduction of its 2007 Tundra CrewMax pickup at the 2007 Detroit auto show in January.
The automaker promises that the four-door CrewMax will offer the most room, versatility, and storage in the Tundra lineup, which will encompass 31 model configurations, the company says.
The new Tundra will come with choices of three cab styles, three wheelbases, three bed lengths, three engines, and three trim levels, along with rear- or four-wheel drive.
The 2007 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited on display at the 2006 Chicago auto show earlier this year boasted a 145.7-inch wheelbase, a full ten inches longer than the '06 Access Cab model it will replace.
Under the hood, the new Tundra will offer a 5.7-liter V-8, a 4.7-liter V-8, and a 4.0-liter V-6. The big V-8 is mated to a new six-speed automatic.
Toyota will build the new Tundra in its new San Antonio, Texas, plant, and has capacity to build trucks at its Princeton, Ind. , plant as well. First-year sales are expected to reach 200,000 units.

Hardly Satisfied
12-07-2006, 08:08 AM
I think they all been watching the whole time,we are loseing to many jobs because of Toyota and Honda

Captain Dan
12-07-2006, 08:22 AM
Still can't haul a fifth wheel toybox fully loaded.....

GHT
12-07-2006, 08:25 AM
FOCK toyota....... :yuk: :yuk:

Taylorman
12-07-2006, 08:28 AM
Best quality truck on the road. Not strongest in tow capacity, but most realiable. I love my 04. Word on the street is the will be entering the 3/4 ton market in the coming years with a diesel. Well see.

BowTie Rick
12-07-2006, 09:11 AM
Wasn't General Toyota the guy that headed up the Kamakazi division during WWII ?

Some Kind Of Monster
12-07-2006, 09:11 AM
Buy American! It Could Be Your Job On The Line!

Hardly Satisfied
12-07-2006, 09:16 AM
Buy American! It Could Be Your Job On The Line!
Well said , you are so right, I have a honda, GMC truck and a Ford F250. Everyone needs to think about what's happening to the big 3 automakers

rivercrazy
12-07-2006, 09:33 AM
Where are 90% + of GM, Ford, and Dodge trucks manufactured? NOT in the US (Mexico and Canada).
Where is the Nissan Titan and Toyota Tundras made? Right here in the USA.

All IN
12-07-2006, 10:16 AM
Just like Nissan trucks, Toyota will do well but nobody will sell more then Ford's F series. Which has been the top selling truck for 29 straight years

GHT
12-07-2006, 10:31 AM
Last time I looked both Canada and Mexico were in North America as well as the US. Nissan and Toyota are assembled in the US. Where are all the parts made? Where were they designed? Do the profits of those two companies stay in North America? Do they/have they payed the same into the economy as the big three have over the last 50 years?
Don't give me the better quality BS either
You are right... I always respond to the comments about the Japs assembly plants being in America.. I will ask where the bottom dollar ends up and where does the persons getting rich live?
JAPAN..

OCMerrill
12-07-2006, 10:32 AM
Gojira is coming (with a six-speed transmission too):
Toyota will stage the introduction of its 2007 Tundra CrewMax pickup at the 2007 Detroit auto show in January.
Under the hood, the new Tundra will offer a 5.7-liter V-8, a 4.7-liter V-8, and a 4.0-liter V-6. The big V-8 is mated to a new six-speed automatic.
The Big V8 :rolleyes:

GHT
12-07-2006, 10:36 AM
The Big V8 :rolleyes:
YES.... The one that tows up to TWO (2) Seadoos at one time.. :rolleyes:

Old Texan
12-07-2006, 10:48 AM
Last time I looked both Canada and Mexico were in North America as well as the US. Nissan and Toyota are assembled in the US. Where are all the parts made? Where were they designed? Do the profits of those two companies stay in North America? Do they/have they payed the same into the economy as the big three have over the last 50 years?
Don't give me the better quality BS either
Been in all the Nissan and Toyota plants. Have been doing business with them since they've been in the USA. 95% of all parts are manufactured in North America.
Nissan in Canton, MS is one of our biggest accounts.
Both companies have brought 1,000's of jobs to the areas they've located in. Nashville,TN and Jackson, MS are experiencing tremendous economic growth. New home and small businees startups are going wild. San Antonio is already experiencing tremendous economic gains and Toyota isn't fully functional yet.
Add Birmingham, Auburn, Opelika, Montgomery, and Huntsville all in AL to the mix and you have some of the fastest growing economies and job markets in the nation. All due to Japanese, Korean, and German auto plants.
Stamping plants, fabrication businesses, and other Tier 1 suppliers are here in the US employing US citizens. These are high technical well paying jobs.
I've driven 3 Nissan trucks over the last 7 years and was satisfied. Just replaced my wrecked/totaled out Titan with a Chevy Avalanche so I'm not predisposed to the Nissan by any means.
My whole point is these new to US manufacturers are good for our economy and have built modern state of the art facilities, something our Big 3 have neglected for to long, generally because of the past poor business practices they've negotiated. The quality IS better in many cases due to the technolgy in these factories. We sell pulse assembly tools to these manufacturers that aren't used except in isolated cases by the Big 3 and these tools alone make for better quality products.
I'm impressed with my new Chevy (120 miles so far) and my son in law's 3500 Duramax Dually, so I know what GM can do. But the Malibu rental I've been stuck with for the last 2 weeks is a piece of crap as was the last 2 Pontiacs I had the displeasure to own.
I imagine they take corporate profits home with them but they sure as hell spend a lot of money with domestic businesses and provide better than average incomes for hundreds of thousands of families in the USA working in their facilities and and the businesses that support them and their communities.
Get your head out of the snow Canuck and lookaround.... :p

OCMerrill
12-07-2006, 10:52 AM
I will use this line to no end. LOL.
Perfect.
I am still laughing.
I am waiting for their announcement of the huge and powerful diesel. There are allot of rumers on this. I suspect the size will be much smaller than everyone thinks. Something like a huge 3.0 v6 Diesel packing 150 hp or something like that.

Racey
12-07-2006, 11:06 AM
hahahahahah that is the funniest thing i've heard all day.

brianthomas
12-07-2006, 11:17 AM
You are right... I always respond to the comments about the Japs assembly plants being in America.. I will ask where the bottom dollar ends up and where does the persons getting rich live?
JAPAN..
What people do not realize is the net profit to a company like Toyota is around $150 per car. These profits go to the owners of the company. Want to see who owns Toyota now? http://moneycentral.msn.com/ownership?Symbol=TM It is almost all U.S. investors. The real money changes hands to the assemblers and the parts suppliers. This is also where the taxes are paid, over and over. Toyota and Honda also moved their R&D and Design studios to CA in the last 10 years to take advantage of using American employees who know what Americans want.
I am an investor in both Honda and Toyota but have not owned any Ford or GM stock for years.
http://moneycentral.msn.com/ownership?Symbol=TM

brianthomas
12-07-2006, 11:22 AM
Been in all the Nissan and Toyota plants. Have been doing business with them since they've been in the USA. 95% of all parts are manufactured in North America.
Both companies have brought 1,000's of jobs to the areas they've located in. Nashville,TN and Jackson, MS are experiencing tremendous economic growth. New home and small businees startups are going wild. San Antonio is already experiencing tremendous economic gains and Toyota isn't fully functional yet.
Add Birmingham, Auburn, Opelika, Montgomery, and Huntsville all in AL to the mix and you have some of the fastest growing economies and job markets in the nation. All due to Japanese, Korean, and German auto plants.
Stamping plants, fabrication businesses, and other Tier 1 suppliers are here in the US employing US citizens. These are high technical well paying jobs.
I've driven 3 Nissan trucks over the last 7 years and was satisfied. Just replaced my wrecked/totaled out Titan with a Chevy Avalanche so I'm not predisposed to the Nissan by any means.
My whole point is these new to US manufacturers are good for our economy and have built modern state of the art facilities, something our Big 3 have neglected for to long, generally because of the past poor business practices they've negotiated. The quality IS better in many cases due to the technolgy in these factories. We sell pulse assembly tools to these manufacturers that aren't used except in isolated cases by the Big 3 and these tools alone make for better quality products.
I'm impressed with my new Chevy (120 miles so far) and my son in law's 3500 Duramax Dually, so I know what GM can do. But the Malibu rental I've been stuck with for the last 2 weeks is a piece of crap as was the last 2 Pontiacs I had the displeasure to own.
I imagine they take corporate profits home with them but they sure as hell spend a lot of money with domestic businesses and provide better than average incomes for hundreds of thousands of families in the USA working in their facilities and and the businesses that support them and their communities.
The ticker symbols are TM for Toyota and HMC for Honda. Try it out. Buy their stocks like millions of americans have, more and more every day. More shares of both manufacturers are owed by americans or american mutual funds than any other single country. The compay I work for makes the piston skirt coating for Honda, GM and Ford. Great customers all!

djunkie
12-07-2006, 11:39 AM
But its still a tin can Toyota. :yuk: :yuk:

RitcheyRch
12-07-2006, 11:48 AM
I love my '02 Tundra but if wanted a truck that could haul or tow a lot of weight would definitely be getting an American Diesel powered truck.

rivercrazy
12-07-2006, 11:54 AM
The reason GM, Ford and Chrysler are at deaths doorstep is because the competition kicks the crap out of them in the areas of quality, reliability, R&D, engineering, manufacturing efficiency, management, etc.
Ford will likely not be the largest manufacturer of trucks in the US for long. They are out of cash and loosing money hand over fist. They are not the government and cannot print money. They will either go BK and/or be purchased by a foreign competitior. Sad but true.......The only reason GM is not in Ford's position is due to their current liquidity situation. If their next round of vehicle introductions are not home runs, they will suffer Ford's fate too.
All three domestics have had decades to address their issues. But they sat on their laurels and allowed the labor unions to dictate their expense structures. How is it that the foreign manufacturers can create and produce the same product at a profit and the US producers cannot? POOR MANAGEMENT and short sighted decision making processes.
Toyota has invested BILLIONS into many economic layers in the US. They are saving US manufacturing jobs that are being exited to Mexico, Canada, and China by GM, Ford, etc.

rivercrazy
12-07-2006, 11:59 AM
How much investment money supporting the economy comes from Mexico (its a negative number)? How much from Japan (staggeringly positive)? The results would really open your eyes.

Froggystyle
12-07-2006, 12:29 PM
My brother just bought a TRD Tundra and I think it is pretty bad ass. Hauls the shit out of Camaro's on a car hauler. It is no match for my Duramax 2500, but what is?
Difference is, his is very, very nice to drive. It is pretty good on fuel with a great warranty and was nearly half the purchase price of the Chevy.
I am strongly considering the new Tundra that is coming out with the supercharged engine and the "Lexus-like" interior... the one thing that has been a huge letdown to me with the imports. The new leather interior and gauge package coupled with the supercharged engine will tow the hell out of our 5800# on the trailer boat and will send a message to most of our clients that you don't need an HD to tow it.
It is that or the Caddy. I still like it, but it is double the price of the Tundra.
Who knows... maybe the Tundra for the shop truck and the Caddy for me.

rivercrazy
12-07-2006, 12:45 PM
I'm on my 2nd Tundra. I put 150K miles on the first one and nothing ever went wrong with it. Didn't even burn oil. My second one has 50K miles on it and not one problem.
And I tow and haul stuff constantly. Toy haulers, 25 foot boats, OHV's, construction materials, etc.

jbtrailerjim
12-07-2006, 03:24 PM
Where are 90% + of GM, Ford, and Dodge trucks manufactured? NOT in the US (Mexico and Canada).
Where is the Nissan Titan and Toyota Tundras made? Right here in the USA.
90% huh..... :rolleyes: Well I don't know about GM & Dodge but here is a little break down for ya on Ford plants. I took it right from there website.
Total USA Plants: 31
Total Employee's: 63,066
Total Mexico Plants: 3
Total Employee's: 4,940
Total Canada Plants: 7
Total Employee's: 11,067
Truck Plants USA: 6
Total Employee's: 20,340
Truck plants Mexico: 1
Total Employee's: 900
Truck Plants Canada: 0
I'd say you are just a little off with your 90% assumption. At least with Fords you are. :rolleyes:
Jim<-----Loyal Ford vehicle owner. :cool:

voodoomedman
12-07-2006, 03:34 PM
90% huh..... :rolleyes: Well I don't know about GM & Dodge but here is a little break down for ya on Ford plants. I took it right from there website.
I'd say you are just a little off with your 90% assumption. At least with Fords you are. :rolleyes:
Nice Jim.
And I'd rather put plants in Mexico than money into Japan. Don't get me wrong. I want the money and jobs here first but between Japan and Mexico I will take our neighbor. Especially because if there are good jobs there then that is less people coming over here illegally.
Yes we are moving more and more towards a global economy and my company profits from it.
The thing is though that if we continue to buy everything from foreign company's then the only jobs and economy that will be here is transportation. There are great things all over the world that those countries specialize in and we should buy that stuff but stuff that we pioneered then why should we let it go. Try exporting something to a country that is their lifeblood. The taxes and duties there will make it unprofitable to sell there. They do that to protect their industry. We get Clinton to sign a NAFTA agreement that we bend over for. Why is it that when I go to buy canned vegetables even that I see stuff from other countries. Go to another country and you eat from their farms not somewhere else. Again exotics are a different thing. I don't expect to eat Mango's from Maine but I do want my pineapple from Hawaii and damnit I want my trucks coming from the US of A.

house
12-07-2006, 03:39 PM
The new Tundra has a towing capacty of over 10,000 pounds. They are all being built in the US which means US jobs and US money.
I have owned both Chevy and Toyota trucks and have to say Toyota is MUCH better. The truck is put together better and handles wear and tear better. Nothing will compare to a Duramax Diesel for towing but fit and finish definitely go to Toyota. Don't knock it till you try it!
I have the first one at my dealership coming to me! I can't wait. About two months to go.

LAND_LOVER69
12-07-2006, 03:45 PM
As far as quality is concerned it has been noted that over the last few years Toyota's quality has dropped by almost 50% and GM's quality has risen by well over 50%.
On another personal note, Toyota, Nissan, or Honda will never make a truck as tough as the Silverado or Sierra.

Jyruiz
12-07-2006, 03:49 PM
The new Tundra has a towing capacty of over 10,000 pounds. They are all being built in the US which means US jobs and US money.
I have owned both Chevy and Toyota trucks and have to say Toyota is MUCH better. The truck is put together better and handles wear and tear better. Nothing will compare to a Duramax Diesel for towing but fit and finish definitely go to Toyota. Don't knock it till you try it!
I have the first one at my dealership coming to me! I can't wait. About two months to go.
I don't know about the wear and tear statement. I like the Tundras and the only reason I did not go with one over my Chevy, was because the back seats were so small. My father in law has an 01 Tundra X-cab and I have an 01 Chevy 1500 X-cab. He has had more issues with his truck than I have had, and I really haven't had any issues except replacing the water pump gasket that was leaking. He has had to replace sensors and has had some exhaust issues. My battery lasted 5 1/2 years and his didn't even make it to 4 years. My truck has 49k miles and his has 36k, his seats and interior is also falling apart and mine has not had a single problem.
I am glad the new Tundras are going to be bigger inside, cause the current ones are small and the styling reminds me of my 96 Toyota pickup I use to have, real plain. The Chevy right now is a lot more comfortable.

rivercrazy
12-07-2006, 08:24 PM
The best-selling passenger car in the United States is a Japanese-brand car, the Toyota Camry. But the "imported" Camry is actually built in America -- at Toyota's plant in Kentucky.
• Ford's best-selling F-Series pickup, meanwhile, is built at a plant in Cuautitlán Izcalli, Mexico, as well as in other plants throughout North America.
• GM's popular Chevy Tahoe/GMC Yukon SUVs are also assembled south of the border -- at GM's Toluca, Mexico, plant.
• German automaker BMW has a large assembly plant in Spartanburg, S.C., where the 3 Series sport sedan, Z4 roadster and X5 sport-ute are built -- by American, not German, workers.
• Honda has six facilities in Ohio -- including plants in Anna, East Liberty and Marysville. The Accord, Civic and Element SUV sold here are built stateside -- not somewhere in the Pacific Rim.
Detroit, Far South
By ELISABETH MALKIN
MEXICO CITY, July 20 — For Mexico, the recent groundbreaking of a new $650 million auto factory was worth celebrating. President Vicente Fox and other dignitaries attended the event. Local executives from General Motors, the investor, flew in to the central state of San Luis PotosÃ*, where the assembly plant now under construction is expected to eventually employ up to 1,800 people and churn out as many as 160,000 compact cars a year.
During the last dozen years, many foreign manufacturers rushed to build factories in states like Alabama, Mississippi and Tennessee, inspiring the sobriquet Detroit South. Now Mexico is eyeing that nickname.
G.M., struggling with its own problems, did little to publicize the new factory outside Mexico. But while any talk of increasing production elsewhere or adding low-wage jobs in Mexico risks creating animosity in the United States, there is no hiding the relentless advance of the auto industry here.
Automotive production in Mexico is expected to hit record levels this year, surpassing two million cars, as automakers pour billions of dollars of new investment into their Mexican factories.
The expansion, being fueled by Mexico’s top five automakers — General Motors, Ford Motor, DaimlerChrysler, Nissan and Volkswagen — stands in contrast to the plans by G.M. and Ford to cut 60,000 jobs in the United States and close two dozen North American plants through 2012.
The reason for MexicoÂ’s new wave of growth is twofold. First, it is next to the worldÂ’s largest auto market, allowing greater production integration because auto companies can easily ship cars and parts by truck and rail.
And second, it is still cheap to operate here compared with the United States, where unionized workers earn at least $27 an hour and benefits can double or even triple the total cost. By comparison, Mexico’s typical auto industry wage of about $3.50 an hour for an experienced worker — which doubles with benefits — looks like a bargain.
Changing tastes are also starting to work in MexicoÂ’s favor. As AmericansÂ’ love affair with fuel-thirsty S.U.V.Â’s wanes, some analysts believe that MexicoÂ’s low costs make the country the natural place for automakers to assemble the next generation of smaller, cheaper cars.
“In the big picture,’’ asked Greg Gardner, an analyst with Harbour Consulting in Troy, Mich., “can Ford, G.M. and Chrysler build medium and small cars in the United States and survive?”
Other forces are also at play: MexicoÂ’s long track record of producing cars and trucks for the American market; a trained and experienced work force; a critical mass of auto parts suppliers who have migrated here and now produce $24 billion worth of parts annually with 430,000 workers. And more auto parts investments are coming, threatening jobs in the United States.
Automakers have spent $4 billion in Mexico since the beginning of 2005, the government says. They are introducing new models — from mega-trucks to sporty compacts — assembled in factories retooled to match the sophisticated plants north of the border.

work2play
12-07-2006, 08:41 PM
The only reason Ford isn't profitable is because unions dictate the number of hours the members work. Which means they dictate the number of vechiles built. When consumers dictate how many vechiles Ford builds they will be profitable. GM and Chrysler has the same problem. That is why the new gm at Ford was hired from the airline manufacturing industry. Because he has an ability to negociate with unions. And the uaw contracts are coming up. Don't forget Pearl Harbor buy American. Forever Ford

Tom Brown
12-07-2006, 08:59 PM
Thanks for injecting some factual information Tex. :cool:
:D :D :D
Those domestic plants are putting together parts that are made offshore. The 'import' marques build cars here from parts made here.
In terms of employment, Ford, GM, and Chrysler are the imports. Toyota, Honda, and Nissan are the domestics.
In terms of ownership, all of these companies are publicly owned. I don't know about all the domestics but there was a study done on GM issue several years ago and the vast majority of it was owned by non-Americans. .... so a company owned by foreigners is using a vast majority of foreign made parts.
..... so go ahead.... buy domestic vehicles to save jobs and the American economy.

G-Body
12-07-2006, 09:01 PM
As far as quality is concerned it has been noted that over the last few years Toyota's quality has dropped by almost 50% and GM's quality has risen by well over 50%.
On another personal note, Toyota, Nissan, or Honda will never make a truck as tough as the Silverado or Sierra.
You beat me too it. Everyone thinks that the imports are higher quality, but in the last couple years GM has pushed the mark up a lot.

LLGirl
12-07-2006, 09:01 PM
Well said!
And I must say, as an American - I thank Toyota for my job! I've been with the company for over 17 years and they've been very good to me! Oh yea - and my Lexus drives like a dream ;)

G-Body
12-07-2006, 09:08 PM
I can see the questions already.
" I have a toyota truck and I went for a ride in my friends silverado, now what do I need to swap a LS1 into my truck? Does anyone make mounts, which accessories fit, should I look for a 6.0L or is a 5.3L just as good?"

BreastManWins
12-07-2006, 11:10 PM
Wasn't General Toyota the guy that headed up the Kamakazi division during WWII ?
No, he was the guy who taught you how to spell :rolleyes:

RT21
12-08-2006, 09:18 PM
I wouldnt let my dog ride in a toyota truck. And I dont even like my dog.:)

DMOORE
12-08-2006, 10:30 PM
The japanese should just stick to mini trucks. Toyota has ALWAYS made a very under powered truck.And regardless of what the new one may be rated for, I have my doubts.The simply do not know how to make a truck. My son just purchased a Nissan , and I would not want to tow anything with it. He wanted a Ford 150 but being only 19, it was out of his budget. I guess if someone cannot afford a domestic, the japanese trucks will be able to fill a void, in the same manner as Lexus( compared to European brands). The other thing to keep in mind, there are a lot of people who will not buy a Ford, Chevy or Dodge because they are American. Sad but there a lot of Americans who hate everything about America(execpting thier "rights").
Darrell.

jdogginla
12-09-2006, 06:56 AM
Saw the new Tundra at the Auto show....it was the crew cab, not the Max Cab I was hoping to see. The max cab will be bigger than the Dodge Mega and will have a towing capacity of 12000lbs with plenty of torque. I believe many will consider this truck and while it may not overtake the fords and Gm's on the road due to american pride and loyalty, you will see plenty of em on the road come february/march...........................mine included.
:mix:

25dic
12-09-2006, 08:51 AM
If I am not mistaken the Dura Max is from Izuzu.

Ken F
12-09-2006, 09:03 AM
Buy American Mention of the Week 11-29-06
American Perception Problems of the American Auto Industry
Ford and General Motors have taken turns besting the Toyota Camry in quality surveys for the past two years, but if you talk to many Americans - especially the ones who would never consider supporting home-based auto companies - youÂ’d never know it.
Last year, the Chevrolet Impala beat the Toyota Camry in initial quality according to J.D. Power & Associates, and Consumer Reports just announced that both the Ford Fusion and Mercury Milan scored higher than both the Toyota Camry and the Honda Accord this year.
After the announcement, Ford’s Director of Global Quality Debbe Yeager commented “It’s a perception gap,” referring to the struggle American companies have had overcoming the perceived and seemingly untarnishable reputation of their foreign rivals.
Even as GM and Ford have accumulated award after award on vehicle quality, you’d almost never know about such quality gains made by American companies - or quality declines of foreign companies - by listening to the media. Did you hear about it when the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration announced that Toyota recalled more vehicles than it sold in the U.S. last year? Probably not. Did you hear about Toyota making an “elaborate apology” for their “worrisome series of recalls” that has “tarnished its reputation for quality?” Probably not. Did you hear about the Toyota senior manager quote that stated “We used to do quiet recalls called ‘service campaigns’ to deal with defects but we’re not going to hide anything anymore?” Such a statement suggests Toyota ’s past recall numbers were probably much higher than we were led to believe, and they profited handsomely by having a perception of higher quality than they deserved. In Japan, prosecutors are looking into possible negligence on the part of Toyota for shirking recalls for the last eight years. How ironic. You probably didn’t hear about that one either because the American media doesn’t like to bash foreign auto companies – only American ones.
Then there’s the mythical perception that foreign automakers produce the most fuel efficient cars and that Detroit only makes gas-guzzlers when the truth is that all automakers - including Toyota , Honda and Hyundai-Kia alike – have allowed fuel economy to slide in the past 20 years since they all now sell bigger trucks and more SUVs. One of Toyota ’s senior executives was even quoted in the Wall St. Journal September 28 saying that both the Toyota Sequoia and Tundra “are big gas-guzzling vehicles” and expressed “concern about the longer-term prospects.” These longer-term prospects about their admitted gas-guzzlers are questioned because they know that Ford’s F-150 and Chevy’s Silverado have led the pack in sales year after year.
Yes, gasoline has been getting more expensive – at least until recently – but the fact that Americans continue to buy it in greater quantities qualifies us as hypocrites for suggesting GM and Ford stop building so many big trucks and SUVs. After all, GM and Ford are only responding to demand as any company would and should if they want to remain profitable in a cut-throat competitive market. According to a Business Week survey, we Americans bought 10% more gasoline in the first six months of 2006 compared to the first six months of 2000 even though gas prices rose 75% in that period. Maybe here I could also mention that the Chevy Tahoe beat the gas-guzzling Toyota Sequoia in quality surveys and gets better gas mileage to boot.
But what has happened since gas prices have been on the decline in recent months? The Wall Street Journal reported a “slight” increase in truck sales by American companies, as Ford Expedition sales were up 41% and Lincoln Navigator sales were up 44%. The American media even tries to restrain its applause for home-based auto companies by referring to gains of over 40% as “slight!”
Perhaps the biggest perception problem is that American automobile companies GM and Ford (Chrysler is now German-owned) squander all their money on plants overseas and foreign automakers build their factories in the U.S. Foreign car lovers will surely point to KiaÂ’s plans to build its first-ever U.S. plant in Georgia, but they probably wonÂ’t mention that they received $400 million in tax giveaways to do it, which translates into $160,000 per job. Among the many benefits for the foreign-owned company, your tax dollars are going to be used for road improvements surrounding the complex, complete with flower beds and other beautification features. Hey, as long as weÂ’re going to allow states to bid for private jobs with our public tax dollars, we might as well make it look good, right?
And the foreign car lovers will probably also not tell you (or maybe they just don’t know or don’t want you to know) that GM and Ford pour more money into existing American facilities than foreign automakers spend on new plants, usually with little or no tax breaks. GM has already spent over $500 million upgrading two transmission plants this year, and has spent nearly a billion dollars over the last decade, for example, for facility upgrades in Texas . And what do GM and Ford get for making their existing plants more efficient? It isn’t tax breaks. Instead, they get accusations of not being “competitive” enough! Maybe here I should also mention that the average domestic parts content for Kia is 3%, while the average domestic parts content of Ford and GM is 78% and 74% respectively. This means that buying a U.S.-assembled (or even foreign-assembled, for that matter) GM or Ford supports more American jobs than a U.S.-assembled car or truck with a foreign nameplate.
Fortunately for our benefit, the U.S. remains the overall global leader in research and development, and a big reason for that is that American automakers – according to the Level Field Institute – invest $16 billion in R&D (Research & Development) annually, which outpaces any other industry one could name. Admittedly, the Level Field Institute counts German-owned DaimlerChrysler as an American automaker, so Ford and GM’s combined R&D contribution to America is closer to around $12 billion. But who’s counting, right? Certainly not the American auto-bashing media.
Japanese companies do employ 3,600 American workers in R&D, but that still leaves the foreign competition behind in the dust staring at American rear bumpers. 3,600 sounds like a big number until you realize that 65,000 Americans work in R&D facilities in the state of Michigan alone. In fact, two of the top four R&D spending companies in America as reported by the Wall Street Journal are – you guessed it – Ford and General Motors. The other two are also American companies: Pfizer and Microsoft.
Ford has recently made headlines as the American automaker with the most challenges to its future, but these challenges certainly are not because they “aren’t making cars people want to buy.” Toyota did outsell Ford in July, but since then, Ford has reclaimed the No. 2 spot and has held it ever since. GM has the highest market share, increasing over 2 percentage points from a year ago. So apparently they can’t be accused of not making cars people want to buy either. Ford sales are also up in Europe, and Ford doubled their sales in China, where GM has the highest market share of any automaker.
General Motors also reported a 3.9% rise in August vehicle sales despite high gas prices and a supposedly slowing economy. And even though Toyota reported record sales that month, they couldnÂ’t match the non-record setting sales volume of Ford. GMÂ’s sales rose 17% in October from the same month in 2005 and Ford sales rose 8% in the same period. Ford also sits on $23 billion in cash, so they have plenty of money to focus on and fix any problems.
And for all the talk about the lack of fuel efficiency of American automakers, it seems three-fourths of all automakers failed to meet Europe ’s improved fuel-efficiency standards intended to cut carbon-dioxide emissions. Japanese and German automakers topped the list of the study’s worst performers, but according to an environmental group’s study, GM’s Opel division and Ford both “come out well.”
In closing, IÂ’ll leave some encouraging numbers for those of us who actually like to root for and support the home team. The J.D. Power 2006 Vehicle Dependability Survey reports that Mercury, Buick and Cadillac (in that order) grabbed the number 2, 3 and 4 spots to beat Toyota, Honda, Nissan, BMW and everyone else (except Lexus) in having the least number of problems per 100 vehicles.
Perhaps someday the American media will give GM and Ford the credit they deserve. And once they do, perception among the majority of the American public will rightfully change. GM and Ford arenÂ’t only doing what they should to make gains in the American market to deserve American consumer loyalty; theyÂ’re also doing what they should to make gains in the markets of China, Europe and across most of the rest of the globe.
Roger Simmermaker is the author of “How Americans Can Buy American: The Power of Consumer Patriotism.” He also writes “Buy American Mention of the Week” articles for his website www.howtobuyamerican.com and is a member of the Machinists Union and National Writers Union. Roger has been a frequent guest on the Fox News Channel, CNN and MSNBC and has been quoted in the USA Today, Wall Street Journal and US News & World Report among many other publications.
Roger Simmermaker, Author
How Americans Can Buy American
www.howtobuyamerican.com

TaylorJet
12-09-2006, 10:08 AM
My brother just bought a TRD Tundra and I think it is pretty bad ass. Hauls the shit out of Camaro's on a car hauler. It is no match for my Duramax 2500, but what is?
Difference is, his is very, very nice to drive. It is pretty good on fuel with a great warranty and was nearly half the purchase price of the Chevy.
I am strongly considering the new Tundra that is coming out with the supercharged engine and the "Lexus-like" interior... the one thing that has been a huge letdown to me with the imports. The new leather interior and gauge package coupled with the supercharged engine will tow the hell out of our 5800# on the trailer boat and will send a message to most of our clients that you don't need an HD to tow it.
It is that or the Caddy. I still like it, but it is double the price of the Tundra.
Who knows... maybe the Tundra for the shop truck and the Caddy for me.
you get what you pay for, the new silverado has better warr, tighter seams and built better than any truck out there, and even better than ones coming in january. drive the new body chevy before makeing a decision.

BreastManWins
12-09-2006, 10:44 AM
you get what you pay for, the new silverado has better warr, tighter seams and built better than any truck out there, and even better than ones coming in january. drive the new body chevy before makeing a decision.
Yeah that may be true but the styling is pathetically boring and the truck has a 4-speed transmission. I really like GM and want them to succeed but they won't with old technology and weak designs. At least their quality is top-notch.

catman-do
12-09-2006, 11:47 AM
Still can't haul a fifth wheel toybox fully loaded.....
Thats the ONLY reason i dont own a Toyota. If they had a Diesel available in the states that could haul the toys then i would get one in a heartbeat. By far the best car ive ever had.