PDA

View Full Version : The CHP are a bunch of idiots...

Havasu Hangin'
01-24-2006, 07:49 AM
...period.

Jordy
01-24-2006, 07:51 AM
C'mon HH. Don't sugarcoat it. Tell us how you really feel. :D

Havasu Hangin'
01-24-2006, 07:53 AM
C'mon HH. Don't sugarcoat it. Tell us how you really feel. :D
Straight from the "Jordy School of Posting".

HighRoller
01-24-2006, 07:55 AM
Sounds like another "How do I beat this ticket" thread in the making.

JetBoatRich
01-24-2006, 08:00 AM
so what happened? or do we have to guess :rolleyes:

Havasu Hangin'
01-24-2006, 08:01 AM
Look...if there's an accident, your goal should not be to:
1. Roll as many cars to the scene as possible
2. Block as many lanes as possible
3. Stand around and talk/laugh with each other
Either help the guy with the clipboard, grab a broom and sweep...or get the hell back on the road where you can do some good.

Jordy
01-24-2006, 08:08 AM
What, no Krispy Kremes???? :)

Eliminator 4 Life
01-24-2006, 08:35 AM
Either help the guy with the clipboard, grab a broom and sweep...or get the hell back on the road where you can do some good.
come dude thats cal trans job Im not makin 90k a year to get my hands dirty :cool:

MagicMtnDan
01-24-2006, 08:40 AM
Sounds like someone was stuck in traffic on the way to an important meeting (with a beer or maybe a "nooner?"). :D

Mr. Pixilated
01-24-2006, 08:42 AM
Wow, isn't that the truth. Move out that's what keeps it going. The CHP should take a bunch of pix's, then go to Denny's or Dunkin Donuts talk about what went on and then file their report...

blackcloud75
01-24-2006, 09:25 AM
come dude thats cal trans job Im not makin 90k a year to get my hands dirty :cool:
........I don't get paid for what I do...........
.......I get paid for what I am willing to do......

Havasu Hangin'
01-24-2006, 09:44 AM
........I don't get paid for what I do...........
.......I get paid for what I am willing to do......
Are you willing to not stand around and laugh with your buddies when a person has just died in an accident?

DCBDaytona
01-24-2006, 09:49 AM
$90k...How much overtime are you working? I wouldn't brag too much. I hope that soon enough California Legislation steps in to correct how overpaid you are.

Moneypitt
01-24-2006, 09:56 AM
In non injury accidents, (accidents where no one is trapped in their car), take 3-5 minutes to take pictures, and move the wrecks out of there. The CHP should go through some "Nascar track crew" training, clean it up and give 'em the green! ................MP

blackcloud75
01-24-2006, 10:01 AM
Are you willing to not stand around and laugh with your buddies when a person has just died in an accident?
I don't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am usually long gone by then..........!
There is an investigation process!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kilrtoy
01-24-2006, 10:02 AM
Its called protection from all the idiot drivers that , may and alot of the time crash into them, killing them, trying to get a better look at the accident...

blackcloud75
01-24-2006, 10:04 AM
$90k...How much overtime are you working? I wouldn't brag too much. I hope that soon enough California Legislation steps in to correct how overpaid you are.
A LOT..................to make that?????????????

4DAY4PLAY
01-24-2006, 10:14 AM
Im not a cop or chp....but when was the last time someone died in the line of work that you do, you selfish ass......get a life. If all cops and/or chp make 90k a year its well worth it....dont be a hater just cause at one time in your life you tried to be a cop, chp or fireman and couldnt pass the test-.

little rowe boat
01-24-2006, 10:24 AM
Huh,overpaid???? :confused:

Havasu Hangin'
01-24-2006, 10:25 AM
Its called protection from all the idiot drivers that , may and alot of the time crash into them, killing them, trying to get a better look at the accident...
But if you are not at the scene, do you need protection?
Put your damn coffee down, help the guy finish the investigation, and get the hell out of there.
I passed by the fatal on the 91 today. Everyone was long gone except 14 patrol cars and a couple Cal Trans guys. Do you really need 13 guys standing around in the middle of the freeway talking with each other? Get the hell off the freeway, and you won't get hit.

a catered life
01-24-2006, 10:27 AM
make sure you keep your license plate a secert :p

little rowe boat
01-24-2006, 10:28 AM
Put your damn coffee down, help the guy finish the investigation, and get the hell out of there.
I passed by the fatal on the 91 today. Everyone was long gone except 14 patrol cars and a couple Cal Trans guys. Do you really need 13 guys standing around in the middle of the freeway talking with each other? Get the hell off the freeway, and you won't get hit.
The Chp. vehicles stay on scene to protect the officers and the scene from drivers on the highway. The more vehicles on scene make it more visible to drivers on the highway.
They put their vehicles between the traffic and the T/C.

topless
01-24-2006, 10:29 AM
HH, if you are referring to the guy on the motorcycle going the wong way and had a head on with the SUV, I totally agree. They had all lanes blocked (except one) and there was no need for all of them to be there shooting the shit. Now HighRoller is probably only reading this to get some tips on beating traffic violations.

DCBDaytona
01-24-2006, 10:30 AM
Huh,overpaid???? :confused:
Yep...I know several of them, both firemen and Cops, and they will vouch for this too. Working either 3days/week or 10 days a month for base salary is ridiculous.

DCBDaytona
01-24-2006, 10:32 AM
Im not a cop or chp....but when was the last time someone died in the line of work that you do, you selfish ass......get a life. If all cops and/or chp make 90k a year its well worth it....dont be a hater just cause at one time in your life you tried to be a cop, chp or fireman and couldnt pass the test-.
Umm, millions of people die in my line of work...We PROTECT America. I've never tried to be a cop/chp, it's not my "cup of tea." Please educate yourself before you open your mouth next time.

Havasu Hangin'
01-24-2006, 10:33 AM
The Chp. vehicles stay on scene to protect the officers and the scene from drivers on the highway. The more vehicles on scene make it more visible to drivers on the highway.
I guess the Cal Trans flashing sign, Cal Trans cones, and Cal Trans workers wasn't enough? I also can see how some bad driver could do alot of damage at less than idle speeds.
So let's roll 10 cruisers, two pickups, and a couple Anaheim PD (just for good measure) to direct traffic (because the Cal Trans guys obviously don't know what they are doing, since they do it fo a living).
If you're gonna stand around and joke while a guy just died...at least grab a broom.

little rowe boat
01-24-2006, 10:33 AM
Yep...I know several of them, both firemen and Cops, and they will vouch for this too. Working either 3days/week or 10 days a month for base salary is ridiculous.
I am a fireman and I work for a base salary and believe me it's not 90 k a year.

DCBDaytona
01-24-2006, 10:36 AM
I am a fireman and I work for a base salary and believe me it's not 90 k a year.
I support you 100%. It's the firemen/cops around here boasting they make around $100k that angers me. Especially whoever has the boat on here dubbed, "More Overtime."

little rowe boat
I guess the Cal Trans flashing sign, Cal Trans cones, and Cal Trans workers wasn't enough? I also can see how some bad driver could do alot of damage at less than idle speeds.
So let's roll 10 cruisers, two pickups, and a couple Anaheim PD (just for good measure) to direct traffic (because the Cal Trans guys obviously don't know what they are doing, since they do it fo a living).
If you're gonna stand around and joke while a guy just died...at least grab a broom.
Honestly I have been on scene with a fire eng. protecting our scene and had people crash into the fire eng. which would have been us if we did not use it to protect the scene.
The freeways are dangerous and we do what we have to do to protect ourselves.

blackcloud75
....and a 56 hour work week, not 40 hours like the rest

little rowe boat
01-24-2006, 10:37 AM
I support you 100%. It's the firemen/cops around here boasting they make around $100k that angers me. Especially whoever has the boat on here dubbed, "More Overtime."
Believe me, working a shit load of overtime is the only way a fireman or cop is going to make 100k plus. Then you would never have the time to enjoy it.

little rowe boat
01-24-2006, 10:38 AM
....and a 56 hour work week, not 40 hours like the rest
Yep.

Kilrtoy
There is no street cop in so cal making that or even close. If they are making that much....
THEY HAVE NO LIFE.....So they can have at it, make all that if they so chose...

blackcloud75
I hear a lot of Fireman have more than 1 job................or 4......

DCBDaytona
01-24-2006, 10:42 AM
I hear a lot of Fireman have more than 1 job................or 4......
Based on the toys they all buy, I'd have to agree. How many do you have? LOL

totenhosen
01-24-2006, 10:42 AM
I know there are quite a few policemen and firemen here. But everytime I've seen financials from one of them the majority make over $80k a year with little overtime (or so they say including sevral friends of mine.)
If you ahve a college degree don't you make more as well?

Havasu Hangin'
01-24-2006, 10:45 AM
HH, if you are referring to the guy on the motorcycle going the wong way and had a head on with the SUV, I totally agree. They had all lanes blocked (except one) and there was no need for all of them to be there shooting the shit.
Exactly. Do you remember that accident in the Express lanes a few weeks back?
It was the same thing. It happened at like 3AM, and by 8AM it was reduced to a bunch of CHP standing around talking to each other.
At least grab a broom, guys.

THOR
01-24-2006, 10:45 AM
(because the Cal Trans guys obviously don't know what they are doing, since they do it fo a living).
HH, you actually think CTrans guys do work? Come on. I have never, EVER seen a CTrans guys doing a damn thing except stand on the side of the road. Remember a few years back when several Ctrans guys were killed when their work truck was struck from behind. The reason why they were killed is because two guys were leaning on the truck and 2 or 3 were inside the bed of the truck. This was a tragedy, but, if the guys were working, nobody would have died that day.

little rowe boat
01-24-2006, 10:46 AM
I know there are quite a few policemen and firemen here. But everytime I've seen financials from one of them the majority make over $80k a year with little overtime (or so they say including sevral friends of mine.)
If you ahve a college degree don't you make more as well?
Where is here? Yes some police and fire depts offer educational incentives.

4DAY4PLAY
01-24-2006, 10:47 AM
Umm, millions of people die in my line of work...We PROTECT America. I've never tried to be a cop/chp, it's not my "cup of tea." Please educate yourself before you open your mouth next time.
wow millions of people die in your line of work?... interesting. Education has nothing to do with it...your comment on getting legislature past was selfish...we all pay taxes here....90% of fireman and cops make in between $18-$28 an hour....I have friends that make that (or more) working jobs were they dont risk there life, health and the future well being of thier families...not to mention night, weekends and holidays off......

Havasu Hangin'
01-24-2006, 10:49 AM
Remember a few years back when several Ctrans guys were killed when their work truck was struck from behind. The reason why they were killed is because two guys were leaning on the truck and 2 or 3 were inside the bed of the truck. This was a tragedy, but, if the guys were working, nobody would have died that day.
Then make an effort to get everyone off the freeway. Don't stand around- do something.

blackcloud75
01-24-2006, 10:50 AM
Based on the toys they all buy, I'd have to agree. How many do you have? LOL
WCFD
RCC College
CHC College
RCFD Special Program Advisor
CA. State Fire Marshal Intructor
RCTOA
I spend more time with other jobs than my primary job...........

little rowe boat
01-24-2006, 10:51 AM
WCFD
RCC College
CHC College
RCTOA
Are you an instructor at Ben Clark??

famaffair
01-24-2006, 10:52 AM
[QUOTE=Havasu Hangin']But if you are not at the scene, do you need protection?
Absolutely, I was hit in a scene by some idiot who was not paying attention and drove straight into the scene of the accident. The #1 lane was shut down with two patrol cars, a tow truck, cones and flares. This person managed to avoid all of those and entered the scene. My partner was hit and had to retire from his injuries I was hit and was off work for three months. I wasn't standing around drinking coffee and laughing I was working to quickly clear the scene so that people like you could go on with their busy lives. We know that you are the only who is in a hurry to get somewhere right. I don't know what you do for a living, but I am sure I can't drive by and look for a few seconds and tell you that you are doing your job wrong. The CHP does not have fourteen units working on one shift in that particular area, so if there were fourteen units on scene, I assure you they were not all CHP.
So, before you call someone an idiot don't be ignorant of the facts. In doing so, you avoid looking like an idiot.

blackcloud75
01-24-2006, 10:52 AM
Are you an instructor at Ben Clark??
Yep...........

DCBDaytona
01-24-2006, 10:55 AM
WCFD
RCC College
CHC College
RCTOA
Awesome! I'm all for education, especially instructors.

dirty old man
01-24-2006, 11:05 AM
I agree that LE and firemen are worth it, but when you retire at 50/55 and get 80/90% of your highest pay, and we pay your replacement a good wage as well, the taxpayers are paying +/- 150% for that position. Your gov Arnold was right but no one listened

Havasu Hangin'
01-24-2006, 11:10 AM
So, before you call someone an idiot don't be ignorant of the facts. In doing so, you avoid looking like an idiot.
I was being facetious.
Obviously, not all CHP are idiots- just the ones that stand around on the freeway cracking jokes (with coffee in hand) when they could be doing something productive.
That was a joke, too. I know you can take a joke- you work for the CHP.

topless
01-24-2006, 11:11 AM
I've seen many accidents. One was actually in front of my house and before LE got there, I was directing traffic away. I know they need officers at the scene but why do they ALL have to be there? Shit, seems like a good time to rob a bank because no one would respond.

Kilrtoy
01-24-2006, 11:15 AM
Umm, millions of people die in my line of work
what are you a refugee from solimia or something....

CornWater
01-24-2006, 11:16 AM
Absolutely, I was hit in a scene by some idiot who was not paying attention and drove straight into the scene of the accident. The #1 lane was shut down with two patrol cars, a tow truck, cones and flares. This person managed to avoid all of those and entered the scene. My partner was hit and had to retire from his injuries I was hit and was off work for three months. I wasn't standing around drinking coffee and laughing I was working to quickly clear the scene so that people like you could go on with their busy lives. We know that you are the only who is in a hurry to get somewhere right. I don't know what you do for a living, but I am sure I can't drive by and look for a few seconds and tell you that you are doing your job wrong. The CHP does not have fourteen units working on one shift in that particular area, so if there were fourteen units on scene, I assure you they were not all CHP.
:idea:

Havasu Hangin'
01-24-2006, 11:19 AM
:idea:
Don't go bringing logic into this...he's on a roll.

MAINEVENT
01-24-2006, 11:21 AM
What's wrong with more overtime??? I do it and milk it at that but i am not a cop or chipper... Get up on the wrong side of the bed... plus if we lived in a perfect world maybe they would'nt need so many chipper on a scene but the truth of the matter is PEOPLE ARE FOCKN STUPID AND CANT DRIVE so there for extra cars are needed... I have an emergency vehicle and when i have my light bar going and a lit arrow bar and a fockn sign on the back of my truck that says "Makes emergency stops" and the idiot starts honking behind me it answers my question why we need so many chippers and PD patrolling the streets and highways.....
Just my .02

PlyaPlya22
01-24-2006, 11:22 AM
Where the hell is solimia??

topless
01-24-2006, 11:23 AM
Where the hell is solimia??LMAO!!! Sounds like food poisoning.

Sleek-Jet
01-24-2006, 11:24 AM
Based on how many hours a shift??? 8, 12, 24?? I don't know to many fireman that work 8 hour days.
When I was on shift work I worked 14 days a month... but 12 hour shifts. That actually comes out to more than 2080 hours a year. Oh yeah, I worked pretty much every holliday, and 2 weekends out of each month. Half those shifts were nights. I never complained about my schedule, but most people would moan and tell me they would never do it. It always amused me that people would say remarks about how much I made, for the what they preceived as the small amount of time I was at work.
Before piping off on how many "days" people work, it's hours worked that people get paid for. While most people are sleeping in bed or lounging at the river on a weekend, there are also people keeping the world going 'round.
FYI, I'm not a cop or a fireman...

Kilrtoy
01-24-2006, 11:33 AM
Where the hell is solimia??
OH sorry mr always spell F***in perfect..
Somalia

C-2
01-24-2006, 11:36 AM
C2<----- Enjoying the bar brawl that just broke out. :220v: :220v:

CornWater
01-24-2006, 11:38 AM
Don't go bringing logic into this...he's on a roll.
***boat, the illogical amusement roundtable for the masses....

DCBDaytona
01-24-2006, 11:38 AM
Based on how many hours a shift??? 8, 12, 24?? I don't know to many fireman that work 8 hour days.
When I was on shift work I worked 14 days a month... but 12 hour shifts. That actually comes out to more than 2080 hours a year. Oh yeah, I worked pretty much every holliday, and 2 weekends out of each month. Half those shifts were nights. I never complained about my schedule, but most people would moan and tell me they would never do it. It always amused me that people would say remarks about how much I made, for the what they preceived as the small amount of time I was at work.
Before piping off on how many "days" people work, it's hours worked that people get paid for. While most people are sleeping in bed or lounging at the river on a weekend, there are also people keeping the world going 'round.
FYI, I'm not a cop or a fireman...
You're entitled to your own thoughts and opinions. I know first hand, and wouldn't just spew out random facts.

DCBDaytona
01-24-2006, 11:39 AM
Yes, I'm a refugee. When are you going to the Boat Show Kilr?

4DAY4PLAY
01-24-2006, 11:57 AM
I agree that LE and firemen are worth it, but when you retire at 50/55 and get 80/90% of your highest pay, and we pay your replacement a good wage as well, the taxpayers are paying +/- 150% for that position. Your gov Arnold was right but no one listened
Yes i will retire at 55, after serving the public for 30 years, doing the same job day in and day out....dont see this as a complaint, because i love my job. Those of you in the private sector...how many spend 30 years with the same company? How many stick out the recessions, were theres no raises for 3-5 years? You dont, because you leave your company, job, etc, for better pay/benefits, or another career. Some of you may strike or walk off...guess what i cant. So when im 40, 45, 50...and im making an hourly wage that 25 year olds are making, i have to stay....so call it what you want...its a service pension, in which I pay into for 30 years. It is self funded. Also, the 90% of my highest pay does NOT include OT..it is base salary. So all the cops/fireman/teachers that make 50k a year base.(a conservative avg) will retire getting appx 3000 a month before taxes....not as much as most think. If you would like to educate yourself on Arnolds failure...go to www.cpf.org

PlyaPlya22
01-24-2006, 12:02 PM
OH sorry mr always spell F***in perfect..
Somaliahey sucka, I was just asking. I thought it was up north somewhere....don't be getting all bitter on me!

little rowe boat
01-24-2006, 12:10 PM
Yes i will retire at 55, after serving the public for 30 years, doing the same job day in and day out....dont see this as a complaint, because i love my job. Those of you in the private sector...how many spend 30 years with the same company? How many stick out the recessions, were theres no raises for 3-5 years? You dont, because you leave your company, job, etc, for better pay/benefits, or another career. Some of you may strike or walk off...guess what i cant. So when im 40, 45, 50...and im making an hourly wage that 25 year olds are making, i have to stay....so call it what you want...its a service pension, in which I pay into for 30 years. It is self funded. Also, the 90% of my highest pay does NOT include OT..it is base salary. So all the cops/fireman/teachers that make 50k a year base.(a conservative avg) will retire getting appx 3000 a month before taxes....not as much as most think. If you would like to educate yourself on Arnolds failure...go to www.cpf.org
Good post, thanks.

Kilrtoy
01-24-2006, 12:10 PM
Yes, I'm a refugee. When are you going to the Boat Show Kilr?
i will see you there with Jay on Sat

Sleek-Jet
01-24-2006, 12:12 PM
You're entitled to your own thoughts and opinions. I know first hand, and wouldn't just spew out random facts.
Still, I would like to know how many hours a shift they work.

totenhosen
01-24-2006, 12:28 PM
Also, the 90% of my highest pay does NOT include OT..it is base salary. So all the cops/fireman/teachers that make 50k a year base.(a conservative avg) will retire getting appx 3000 a month before taxes....not as much as most think. If you would like to educate yourself on Arnolds failure...go to www.cpf.org
Do you guys get lifetime health benefits as well after your retire?

Froggystyle
01-24-2006, 12:28 PM
I am all for Police and LE in general, and know a pile of SEALs that have transitioned out of active service and into LE in some form or another. Most like it, most say it is a pile easier, less dangerous and twice as lucrative as what we got paid to go into enemy countries and take out insurgents.
If you all want to get pissed at what some people make to do their jobs, how dangerous they are or what a service they have to the community/country... start looking at the abysmal wages armed forces make right now compared to the relative security of LE or firefighting.
Keep in mind, I was a firefighter before the Navy. I am not talking out my ass here, and I loved every minute of it, but there is a world of difference between standing near a freeway cleaning up an accident scene and fast roping out of a helicopter onto a building. Trust me.
I agree that one of the more visible wastes of resources is the multiple car respond to accidents and calls, and the seemingly non-existant visibility of the police in day to day beat prowling.
We have had a serious rash of theft out here in El Cajon around the airport recently, and the PD has really bumped up patrols. The folks out here are doing a great job, but it seems that it took a real spat of robberies to make this happen. I have been in our building for over a year, and in a building that was donut chucking distance from the Police Department for another year, and can personally testify to 30 plus minute response time to burglary calls. Now they swing by to make sure things are all right as I am closing up at 2:00 am.
I would like to see more energy diverted into fire department, local Sheriff, Border Patrol and local PD, and a little less diverted to CHP.
And don't get me started on CHP's 911 system. What a damn joke.
All that said, I have not met a single CHP officer in person that I didn't hit it off with. Most are very good people doing a shitty job. You couldn't get me to do the job for any amount of money, so I am glad that there are folks who will. Thanks for your service, and I hope that my tone does not offend. I have just recently realized that increase police presence has solved a lot of vagrancy problems around my shop, and I like seeing it. I would rather see this than more CHP officers personally.

Keith E. Sayre
01-24-2006, 12:44 PM
Havasu Hangin--I agree that their primary goal ought to be to investigate
and promptly get the traffic moving again and in the situation where there
are serious injuries and possible loss of life, they should show respect.
I know a great deal of police officers and firemen from my job and for the most part, I think the world of almost all of them. Maybe we could consider that they have a crappy job to do when out there with a corpse or two and
maybe the extra cops being there and the conversation and joking etc are
their means of dealing with what is really going on inside of them. I'm glad
that they're dealing with it so that I don't have to.
How can anyone say that $90,000 is overpaid???? I wouldn't put on a vest
and deal with the idiots that they have to deal with for twice that amount.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats

Havasu Hangin'
01-24-2006, 12:49 PM
C2<----- Enjoying the bar brawl that just broke out. :220v: :220v:
So it worked, huh?

blackcloud75
01-24-2006, 12:59 PM
Nope................

little rowe boat
01-24-2006, 01:04 PM
No, we don't.

little rowe boat
01-24-2006, 01:05 PM
Firefighter typically work 24 hr. shifts and a 56 hr work week.

Sleek-Jet
01-24-2006, 01:07 PM
That's what I thought... Thanks.

dirty old man
Good info coming in, some still leave q's

Froggystyle
No, we don't.
What about after a medical retirement? Suppose you were to get injured on the job, and retire as a result. Are you covered for life on the injury and all related medical items?
If not, that is one good thing about my military medical retirement. I am covered on that stuff.

Froggystyle
01-24-2006, 01:09 PM
But let's face it, being "on call" and potentially sleeping for around 20 of the hours is radically different than standing in front of a machine for 8 hours a day.
I understand the theory, and worked it myself, and it is nothing like being paid by the year. In the teams we called a 12 hour work day a "half day" since you only worked half of the 24 hours available... ;)

little rowe boat
01-24-2006, 01:16 PM
What about after a medical retirement? Suppose you were to get injured on the job, and retire as a result. Are you covered for life on the injury and all related medical items?
If not, that is one good thing about my military medical retirement. I am covered on that stuff.
If you get hurt on the job,the municipality will try to pay you off and get out of covering the injury. What will usually happen is you will see a Dr. until he/she considers you permanent and stable,they will then come up with a % that you are considered disabled with 30% being the magic # that they would retire you out.At that point the municipality is trying to cut their losses and get out of it as cheaply as possible. Then it's time to lawyer up.

little rowe boat
01-24-2006, 01:23 PM
But let's face it, being "on call" and potentially sleeping for around 20 of the hours is radically different than standing in front of a machine for 8 hours a day.
I understand the theory, and worked it myself, and it is nothing like being paid by the year. In the teams we called a 12 hour work day a "half day" since you only worked half of the 24 hours available... ;)
I work a 24 hr. shift and from 0730 til 1700 I am running calls, cleaning, doing pre-fire plans,fire inspections,training etc.... and everyone of those that I just mentioned generates paper work that needs to be entered on a computer.
After 1700, the time is usually mine to do with what I want at the station of course,I can't just up and leave, because I am still required to respond to emergencies.
I don't know where you got the 20 hrs. of sleep from. I am usually lucky to get 4 or 5 hrs.
The next day I go home and catch up on my lost sleep, while trying to watch my 16 month old.

Sleek-Jet
01-24-2006, 01:27 PM
If everyone actually got paid based on productivity... this place would be dead. :D :D :D

blackcloud75
01-24-2006, 01:29 PM
My station runs anywhere from 12 to as many 20 alarms a 24 hour period...
Each alarm averages around 45mins./alarm..........
(dispatch/onscene/avail./in-quarters)
Thats not to include that we have Fire Department ran Ambulances,(FF/Paramedics) add additional 30 minute wait times at Receiving Hospitals(YES, we wait w/ patients on the gurney's for up to 4 hours)
........that 1:15p/alarm
So we do the math on a slow day(12)=Avg. 10-15 hours on alarms( not in quarters) Don't forget we have to come back to the station and log these calls in 2 different computers(I won't count that time but I still have some to be logged from 07/05)
You are more than welcome to come ride with my station and see what it's all about...............
I know LRB's Dept. has even busier stations than mine.........
Did I Forget to mention I work 48 hour shifts every time I come to work.....

topless
01-24-2006, 01:37 PM
Thats not to include that we have Fire Department ran Ambulances,(FF/Paramedics) add additional 30 minute wait times at Receiving Hospitals(YES, we wait w/ patients on the gurney's for up to 4 hours)
So we do the math on a slow day(12)=Avg. 10-15 hours on alarms( not in quarters) Don't forget we have to come back to the station and log these calls in 2 different computers(I won't count that time but I still have some to be logged from 07/05)
You are more than welcome to come ride with my station and see what it's all about...............
Did I Forget to mention I work 48 hour shifts every time I come to work.....I don't think this thread was intended to dispute how many hours someone works. It was intended to show how many officers show up to ONE call and do nothing but joke around.

little rowe boat
01-24-2006, 01:38 PM
I don't think this thread was intended to dispute how many hours someone works. It was intended to show how many officers show up to ONE call and do nothing but joke around.
Read back these are answers to others questions. :rolleyes:

blackcloud75
01-24-2006, 01:39 PM
LRB...................Just for You!!!
T-Rex RIP
http://www.rcfa1067.org/Teran2005/ed%20with%20gear.jpg

little rowe boat
01-24-2006, 01:41 PM
T-Rex RIP
Thanks, we sure do miss him. :cry:

Sleek-Jet
01-24-2006, 01:42 PM
Yeah, but you only work 3 "days" a week.... :rolleyes:
The point in my first post was the fact that working 3 shifts is alot different then working 3 regular work days.
Thanks for backing up my point.

topless
01-24-2006, 01:43 PM
Read back these are answers to others questions. :rolleyes:I read the entire thing and this is not how it started but what in turned into. Should be titled "As the Thread Turns" I just hope it doesn't get gay.

djunkie
01-24-2006, 01:47 PM
I'm still waiting for someone to say "unions suck!!!!!!" :rolleyes:

blackcloud75
01-24-2006, 01:58 PM
Yeah, but you only work 3 "days" a week.... :rolleyes:
The point in my first post was the fact that working 3 shifts is alot different then working 3 regular work days.
Thanks for backing up my point.
O.K. your right.........
I only work 3.2 hours each day I am at work..........
You get to sleep every night.......at home.......................no interuptions
I can call you everytime, We get woken up the next time I'm on shift?????
I had to do that to the mrs.'s because she would get pissed when I would sleep my days off............

Sleek-Jet
01-24-2006, 01:59 PM
O.K. your right.........
I only work 3.2 hours each day I am at work..........
You get to sleep every night.......at home.......................no interuptions
I can call you everytime, We get woken up the next time I'm on shift?????
I had to do that to the mrs.'s because she would get pissed when I would sleep my days off............
Easy killer, I'm agreeing with you... :D

blackcloud75
01-24-2006, 02:00 PM
I'm still waiting for someone to say "unions suck!!!!!!" :rolleyes:
Dave Onions Suck!!!!!!!!!!!
Was that close enough.......

Big Warlock
01-24-2006, 02:10 PM
I am surprised that the Union issue hasn't reared it's ugly head. Oh well, we covered that yesterday right?
Public servants, specifically police officers, CHP and Firemen. They are needed in society and are paid by the community. I am not sure if their pay reflects what they are worth. They do a difficult job in a difficult environment. However, they chose that profession. They worked damn hard to get in to their positions. They knew the risks and the pay. I absolutely hate when someone calls me about the "widows and orphans fund" or some other cockymammy friggin deal. If they feel under valued or under paid they are free to change jobs to something more lucrative. It's America after all.
Here is an idea:
Buy life insurance!!! That's what the rest of us do. That's what I do for every single employee of mine that has met the requirements to be eligible for benefits. It's automatic. You get medical for you and life insurance. Additional medical for your dependents is available for you at cost. And every year I negotiate the best deal I can get for all of us. Me included.
I am not particulary fond of law enforcement. As a group, they have a certain personailty that doesn't jive with mine. That doesn't mean they are all bad. I have had a good encounter here and there. I do try to make it as safe an encounter as possible. At night I find a safe spot for both of us to pull over. I roll down all the windows, turn on the dome light and put the flashers on and dim the headlights. In the daytime I roll down the windows and make my hands visible. I don't talk very much as it can't help any situation.
I am sure it's always good to see a paramedic or a fireman. Different kind of personality.
My .02 cents

Froggystyle
01-24-2006, 03:36 PM
Did I Forget to mention I work 48 hour shifts every time I come to work...
No doubt you go home ready for bed... I know that is for sure.
Long days feel good sometimes though. Especially as a firefighter. Can you imagine working 8 hour shifts in that job? I can't. So much turnover, so many things happenning over extended periods.
I do really miss the camaraderie of both the firehouse and the teams though. Nothing like it.

Throttle
01-24-2006, 03:48 PM
who me?

RAZORSHARP
01-24-2006, 03:50 PM
T-Rex RIP
Is he related to someone who works for another dept. Name sounds familiar.

Throttle
01-24-2006, 03:57 PM
here comes some education for ya...

Biglue
01-24-2006, 04:01 PM
here comes some education for ya...
DId someone strike a sore spot there Throttle? LOL

Throttle
01-24-2006, 04:04 PM
beat me to it!

Throttle
01-24-2006, 04:04 PM
DId someone strike a sore spot there Throttle? LOL
get some popcorn...

Throttle
01-24-2006, 04:07 PM
24 hour shifts

Biglue
01-24-2006, 04:08 PM
get some popcorn...
Way ahead of you buddy. Got it with a cold beer on the side and a pizza on the way. :)

Throttle
01-24-2006, 04:10 PM
if you believe this to be true, you have been misled!

Throttle
01-24-2006, 04:10 PM
Way ahead of you buddy. Got it with a cold beer on the side and a pizza on the way. :)
workin my way to the jack right now... it will be my forht! lol

RAZORSHARP
01-24-2006, 04:12 PM
if you believe this to be true, you have been misled!
depends who you get your health benefits from.

Throttle
01-24-2006, 04:24 PM
Allrighty then,
first... To address HH's dis satisfaction with the system...
I am certain that the chp's first concern is safety... keep the freeways open and safe for all of us.
now, work with me for a moment... If some azz was payin attention in the first place, chances are there would not be a delay (accident) to begin with.
but now we have a delay and the road is blocked making it even more dangerous because other azzes still don't slow down and then crash into the previous incident... are you with me here?

Throttle
01-24-2006, 04:39 PM
I am certain that you were talkin about me... and since I have had a couple of drinks this afternoon... I am tryin to be respectful in my response to this. It is really as simple as this... my previous boat was named "overtime". I replaced that one and since it was bigger "more overtime" seemed to fit.
This is the best joke of it all... the peeps who know me have started this question, "how do you work overtime when you do not even work the regular time?"

Havasu Hangin'
01-24-2006, 04:45 PM
If some azz was payin attention in the first place, chances are there would not be a delay (accident) to begin with.
You guys are missing the target (but hitting the neighbor's yard).
I never said that CHP don't work hard or are overpaid. My main point is that you have a bunch of guys in uniform standing around laughing and drinking coffee, when they should be being productive.
For those of you who said how dangerous the accident scene is, you are proving my point. If it were me, I'd tell my boss that we need to "get this show on the road and get the hell off this pavement"...and work toward that end. Standing on a freeway, with your back turned to traffic, sipping on coffee, and joking with your buddies doesn't seem like the way I would act if I was in danger.
Here's the other thing to consider- perception is reality. If the public sees you standing around, it doesn't really matter why. All they see is the snapshot as they drive by, and the perception that you don't care about the driving public- just your own cup of coffee.

Throttle
01-24-2006, 05:31 PM
You guys are missing the target (but hitting the neighbor's yard).
I never said that CHP don't work hard or are overpaid. My main point is that you have a bunch of guys in uniform standing around laughing and drinking coffee, when they should be being productive.
For those of you who said how dangerous the accident scene is, you are proving my point. If it were me, I'd tell my boss that we need to "get this show on the road and get the hell off this pavement"...and work toward that end. Standing on a freeway, with your back turned to traffic, sipping on coffee, and joking with your buddies doesn't seem like the way I would act if I was in danger.
Here's the other thing to consider- perception is reality. If the public sees you standing around, it doesn't really matter why. All they see is the snapshot as they drive by, and the perception that you don't care about the driving public- just your own cup of coffee.
I am gonna have to agree here on both of your points... our whole job (mine as a firefigher) is in the publics view... I do not even want to speculate as to why the accident would not clear quickly, however plenty of times I have seen officers respond to incidents (accidents) and push disabled vehicles onto right shoulder (this can not always happen) but I know they try. For the peeps that are just drivin by, they only get a glimpse and think what they want unfortunately.

slink
01-24-2006, 05:43 PM
HH, not knowing at what point you drove by the scene, I can tell you that since it was a fatal accident, all those guys were probably standing around waiting for the M.A.I.T to arrive (Major Accident Investigation Team) and take control of the scene. Once MAIT arrived then things would get kicked into gear and guys would start following directions as to what needed to be done and who was going to do what. Sorry you were late for work, I'm sure most of those "Idiots" didn't get off work on time either.

Havasu Hangin'
01-24-2006, 06:24 PM
HH, not knowing at what point you drove by the scene, I can tell you that since it was a fatal accident, all those guys were probably standing around waiting for the M.A.I.T to arrive (Major Accident Investigation Team) and take control of the scene. Once MAIT arrived then things would get kicked into gear and guys would start following directions as to what needed to be done and who was going to do what. Sorry you were late for work, I'm sure most of those "Idiots" didn't get off work on time either.
I believe the MAIT was already there- there were a couple trucks, and a bunch of cruisers (and some Anaheim PD).
Since I don't have to punch a clock, I was not late. However, while I was stuck inbetween offramps for an hour (or so), I could not help but think of all the problems it causes people (not just being late for an appointment). For example, Mrs HH (and the little HH's) would have a tough time being stuck for that long without a bathroom.
To go through all that traffic hell, just to see that all the cruisers were on the shoulder, the crashed car and motorcyle was on the shoulder, the crashed truck was in the #4 lane, but they had all the lanes closed (except the #1), and the officers were (percieved as) just chatting, can't be good for public opinion.
Once again, if the CHP just gave the perception that they were trying to hurry things up would have gone a long way. The three CHP officers waving traffic were doing it half-heartedly, and two of them were talking to each other, and not watching us poor souls trying to just get past.
You guys know me- I'm not trying to solve the world's problems, but a "Yeah, HH...I see your 'perception' point. I'll bring it up at our next meeting"...would be nice.

Kilrtoy
01-24-2006, 06:34 PM
I believe the MAIT was already there- there were a couple trucks, and a bunch of cruisers (and some Anaheim PD).
Since I don't have to punch a clock, I was not late. However, while I was stuck inbetween offramps for an hour (or so), I could not help but think of all the problems it causes people (not just being late for an appointment). For example, Mrs HH (and the little HH's) would have a tough time being stuck for that long without a bathroom.
And to think of the poor dead guys family that now really has some serious inconvience happening....
get over it....
I actually heard it was all staged and they did this to piss off the ole HH since he had his new fandangle radar jammer and detector

Havasu Hangin'
01-24-2006, 06:38 PM
And to think of the poor dead guys family that now really has some serious inconvience happening....
At least I wasn't laughing at the dead guy.

slink
01-24-2006, 06:42 PM
And you know they were because.............?

blackcloud75
01-24-2006, 06:44 PM
They were laughing at the thread it was going to create..........................................

slink
01-24-2006, 06:47 PM
They were laughing at the thread it was going to create..........................................
exactly

Havasu Hangin'
01-24-2006, 06:49 PM
And you know they were because.............?
Because they were pointing at him and laughing. :notam:
You know, you LEO guys crack me up. You so blindly defend each other it's comical. Even if I tried, I can't come up with jokes that good.
You guys probably don't know this, but my occupation is a "Wal-Mart Greeter". However, even though I am perfect, I do know that there are some Wal-Mart Greeters out there that are not so good at their jobs. Some are even bad at it. I guess it comes with being human.
The last time I checked, CHP officers are also human. Are they still?
If they are, that probably means that they can make mistakes, just like the Wal-Mart Greeters.

DRMCAT
01-24-2006, 06:50 PM
When was the last time you investigated a fatal traffic collision? How long should it take? What exactly do you have to do while you are there? Do you take measurements, interview witnesses, take photos, examine the scene for reconstruction at a later time? I have probably forgot half of the stuff you would have probably thought of..........
Please enlighten us.....................!

slink
01-24-2006, 06:56 PM
Because they were pointing at him and laughing. :notam:
You know, you LEO guys crack me up. You so blindly defend each other it's comical. Even if I tried, I can't come up with jokes that good.
You guys probably don't know this, but my occupation is a "Wal-Mart Greeter". However, even though I am perfect, I do know that there are some Wal-Mart Greeters out there that are not so good at their jobs. Some are even bad at it. I guess it comes with being human.
The last time I checked, CHP officers are also human. Are they still?
If they are, that probably means that they can make mistakes, just like the Wal-Mart Greeters.
Come HH, get your story straight, were they standing around doing nothing or were they all gathered around pointing and laughing at the guy :) :)

little rowe boat
01-24-2006, 06:56 PM
Is he related to someone who works for another dept. Name sounds familiar.
No he did not have any family that worked for another FD.

Havasu Hangin'
01-24-2006, 06:58 PM
When was the last time you investigated a fatal traffic collision? How long should it take? What exactly do you have to do while you are there? Do you take measurements, interview witnesses, take photos, examine the scene for reconstruction at a later time? I have probably forgot half of the stuff you would have probably thought of..........
Please enlighten us.....................!
Man, I hate repeating myself. Since I guess "reading" isn't a requirement to become a CHP, I'll say it again.
The point was not how long it takes, but all the CHP standing around talking (coffee in hand) and joking, while they could be doing something productive.
I guess that begs the question, are you guys ever really "productive"?

H20Advantage
01-24-2006, 06:59 PM
Why does that anger you when we have actors making $80k plus for filming one episode of a TV show or a ball player making some obseen amount of money for somthing most of us gave up to go to college and live a productive life?
The days have passed when LE just slapped on a gun and badge and did the job. Because of liability and all the extra added duties they are trained in many areas and have more knowledge and training than most attorney's.

Havasu Hangin'
01-24-2006, 07:01 PM
Come HH, get your story straight, were they standing around doing nothing or were they all gathered around pointing and laughing at the guy :) :)
I think they were multi-tasking. In fact, I think a couple of them had beers in their hands, too.
:D

slink
01-24-2006, 07:02 PM
Man, I hate repeating myself. Since I guess "reading" isn't a requirement to become a CHP, I'll say it again.
The point was not how long it takes, but all the CHP standing around talking (coffee in hand) and joking, while they could be doing something productive.
Again, I would venture to guess that the MAIT guys weren't there yet.....Better yet, if those F'n CHIPPIES would have been doing their job, they could have stopped the guy riding his MC on the wrong side of the freeway before the crash ever occurred. :p

blackcloud75
01-24-2006, 07:06 PM
HH:[Since I guess "reading" isn't a requirement to become a CHP, I'll say it again.]
Or for "Wal-Mart Greeters" either......................

Rexone
01-24-2006, 07:10 PM
My main point is that you have a bunch of guys in uniform standing around laughing and drinking coffee, when they should be being productive.
If I didn't read the thread title I could be fooled into thinking this was about the ***boat.com membership login roster at any given time during most any given workday, lol.

Havasu Hangin'
01-24-2006, 07:12 PM
Since I guess "reading" isn't a requirement to become a CHP...
Yes, you are right. If it was a requirement, those MAIT guys wouldn't have to take so long to draw pictures with their new set of crayons.
What time do those guys roll out of bed, anyway? Noon? Us Wal-Mart Greeters are working 24/7.
PS- I guess since I was the only one there, you guys must be guessing who was there and who wasn't (just like you "guess" at everyone's speed before you cite them)

blackcloud75
01-24-2006, 07:16 PM
What time do those guys roll out of bed, anyway? Noon? Us Wal-Mart Greeters are working 24/7.
........Kinda like Firemen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

slink
01-24-2006, 07:17 PM
........Kinda like Firemen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
Now I have to go get my boots on......damn :rolleyes: :p :yuk:

4DAY4PLAY
01-24-2006, 07:27 PM
Good question....Some do, it is a negotiated benefit, my dept, NOBODY gets a dollar paid for medical benifits after retirement, not even the fire chief. Guys retiring recently are paying up to 1000k a month to continue thier benifits.....many still have children at home that need to be insured too.

blackcloud75
01-24-2006, 07:30 PM
Now I have to go get my boots on......damn :rolleyes: :p :yuk:
Here you go.......................Use these......
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1453100_0740-med.JPG

Tyson Ross
01-24-2006, 07:34 PM
Maybe they were taking a lil break. 10-12 hour shifts are long, expecially when you don't get an hour lunch break. :idea:

slink
01-24-2006, 07:43 PM
Here you go.......................Use these......
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1453100_0740-med.JPG
Two words......"Odor Eaters" :)

DRMCAT
01-24-2006, 08:10 PM
So exactly how long should it take? Please don't skirt the issue. By the way, I am not a CHP officer, just a concerned citizen!

Havasu Hangin'
01-24-2006, 08:26 PM
So exactly how long should it take? Please don't skirt the issue. By the way, I am not a CHP officer, just a concerned citizen!
I'm not skirting the issue- I'd say you are. I never said how long an investigation should take.
Here...I'll say it again- I never said how long an investigation should take.
Want it a third time, or do you finally get it?
Here's what I said:
If I was to stand around Wal Mart and talk with my friends while the customers waited to get in, I wouldn't have a job very long.
Sincerely,
A Concerned Citizen

hoolign
01-24-2006, 08:29 PM
Their union ..you expect something else?? :rolleyes:

DRMCAT
01-24-2006, 08:41 PM
I am sure where you are employed one guy does all the work , while no one else watches? You guys must be very efficient, and probabaly charge by the minute? I am sure you are worth it! Or wait, you are probably the owner, which explains everything!

hoolign
01-24-2006, 08:51 PM
I am sure where you are employed one guy does all the work , while no one else watches? You guys must be very efficient, and probabaly charge by the minute? I am sure you are worth it! Or wait, you are probably the owner, which explains everything!
Shut up and remove the pasties from your woman! it's only a three day punt! :D

DRMCAT
01-24-2006, 08:58 PM
No offense! We never get a break for investigating why some poor soul died! Unfortunately, some times we have to inconvenience others to make sure we know what happened. We never get a break for making others late for work. Sorry we inconvenienced you.

Havasu Hangin'
01-24-2006, 09:06 PM
No offense! We never get a break for investigating why some poor soul died! Unfortunately, some times we have to inconvenience others to make sure we know what happened. We never get a break for making others late for work. Sorry we inconvenienced you.
Hey...it didn't inconvenience me (I can't be late for work since I don't clock in). At work, I usually take my time, too. Heck, I've got a job to do, and that's waaaaay more important than any of those damn Wal Mart customers.
Usually hoolign does all the work, and we all stand around and investigate how fast it takes coffee to get cold while I'm drinking it.

clownpuncher
01-24-2006, 09:06 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/536tosser.gif this thread. Those of you that make blanket comments on the "overpaid" LE really ought to go on a few ride alongs. Couldn't pay me enough to do their job. **** that.

01-24-2006, 09:12 PM
HH
give me ur address and ill send you 2 applications 1 for chp
and 1 for la fire dept hell give it a rest

DRMCAT
01-24-2006, 09:17 PM
I just want to make sure you understand, we don't do it because we want too. It is unfortunately only because we have to, god forbid!

JetBoatRich
01-24-2006, 09:19 PM
What was this thread about :yuk:

blackcloud75
01-24-2006, 09:20 PM
I just want to make sure you understand, we don't do it because we want too. It is unfortunately only because we have to, god forbid!
Are you talking about your avatar????????????????/
"Shake it Pig!" :rollside:

blackcloud75
01-24-2006, 09:20 PM
Lady lumps....Lucious lady lumps........

DRMCAT
01-24-2006, 09:24 PM
The green eyed monster of envy! :boxed:

hoolign
01-24-2006, 09:24 PM
Hey...it didn't inconvenience me (I can't be late for work since I don't clock in). At work, I usually take my time, too. Heck, I've got a job to do, and that's waaaaay more important than any of those damn Wal Mart customers.
Usually hoolign does all the work, and we all stand around and investigate how fast it takes coffee to get cold while I'm drinking it.
Speaking of which..and I don;t want to spound unappreciative for the raise ..but..can I take next week off??

DRMCAT
01-24-2006, 09:27 PM
Speaking of which..and I don;t want to spound unappreciative for the raise ..but..can I take next week off??
Sounds like you might deserve it!

Red Horse
01-24-2006, 09:30 PM
Froggystyles post a few pages back was right on about the military.

hoolign
01-24-2006, 09:33 PM
Sounds like you might deserve it!
Well I got caught speeding and have to go to court,,,the cop smelled like beer and I really think I have achance of beating it! He wrote "Spleeding ....hittin 60 in a Fiddy" on the ticket! :mad: My lawyer thinks it will be thrown out!

JetBoatRich
01-24-2006, 09:35 PM
Well I got caught speeding and have to go to court,,,the cop smelled like beer and I really think I have achance of beating it! He wrote "Spleeding ....hittin 60 in a Fiddy" on the ticket! :mad: My lawyer thinks it will be thrown out!
You may have a chance :cool:

blackcloud75
01-24-2006, 09:40 PM
Froggystyles post a few pages back was right on about the military.
]That's for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They are the one's not getting paid enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOWRIVER2
01-24-2006, 09:56 PM
Wow Jeff,
2001 sure does seem a long time ago when I was one of the only two cops on this site. Boy how times have changed.
Here, I'll say it. Yes, we, as cops (I'll say LAPD Metropolitan Division as to not group anyone else) do things that can, have, and will be perceived as "wrong" in one way or another from time to time. I would'nt guess for a second what happened out there but I can say I've laughed at an unrelated joke on a double homicide scene when someone in the public might have seen me smile. Did I laugh at the person who will never see another day or enjoy the sweet freedoms we all enjoy? No.
Regardless, My actions might have been perceived as wrong by someone and for that I say "sorry".
Our profession has something called Gallows Humor. Right or wrong, it's a way guys deal with stress and the daily B.S. that gets thrown our way. Does it mean no one else has to deal with crap in their jobs? No. Does it mean we get looked at a LOT more due to our job and the information age we live in? You bet.
As for LE/FD guys backing each other up, well, what can I say, who else will? .....That's right, no one.
We all make mistakes. I wonder if you remember the time a member of this site posted information about another member that was wanted for a crime. Do you remember the backlash that member got for it? I recall you said he was wrong (the accused was convicted/served time and the want was public information). One of the detractors tried to implicate that the posting member's father, (cop killed in the line of duty), deserved what he got. As you recall, I wanted to meet the guy personally. I remember the PM you sent me trying to tell me those accusers were all decent guys at the river. Well, I have to say I see no difference in a lack of empathy and respect for that guy's father by you and that group as much as you might of saw in a cop laughing on that freeway. Was my perception of you correct? Probably not. Does it make anything "equal"? Not the point here.
Remember, perception is for a short time at individual instants. What may seem inherently wrong may be something else all together, just done at the wrong time. Kind of in the same context the media loves to edit police video to show whatever the station manager wants to "spin" on the news.
Anyways, I'm sure your river buddies are all great guys, that's why you've never met me in person.
I remember the guy who trashed talked cops to me on this site and then became all chummy when he realized he sold boats for a living and found out who his bread and butter customers are: that's right, LE/FD (hint: was'nt Keith)/ LOL.
Anyways, I've always said this site is for ranting, so rant away and remember to answer my PM questions about battery chargers on a timely basis/LOL
LR

acatitude
01-24-2006, 10:31 PM
Nice low River. Being ex le in inglewood for many years, id just say to those ragging on LE, do you have the balls to jump over a fence chasin some do raw with a gun??? for a lousy 90 grand a year?? and not knowin if he kept running or turned around and waitin for ya to pop your head over the fence?? and you have to go over that fence after him. so id not be so pushy about the standin around on the road. more problems come from drivers who have to slow and gauk at everything instead of just drivin.
The reason for blue lights were cuzz cops kept gettin run into on the road by drunks.
For fireman shit they just get paid to sleep (lmao) and any one who would go into a burnin building aint real bright. :) . DONT BE HATERS, or when your womans gettin raped and beaten, then just call a plumber

blackcloud75
01-24-2006, 10:41 PM
Nice low River.
For fireman shit they just get paid to sleep (lmao) and any one who would go into a burnin building aint real bright. :) . DONT BE HATERS, or when your womans gettin raped and beaten, then just call a plumber
That explains why they write Firemen text books to the Second Grade reading level with lots of pictures.......................................... ..

77charger
01-24-2006, 10:44 PM
HH
i hear chp use square speakers for pa systems,golf cart batts for the light bars power(while they stall traffic so they dont have to run the car),And want to add checkers to the hoods so while they stand next to the cars they can play games.
I also hate when they shut down fwy with no exit options leaves you SOL big time.(try driving to san diego while they shut the whole fwy down between san clemente and oceanside)I use to drive there on a daily basis for work seen it done twice caught it early and had to go 5 fwy over 74 to the 15s a 1.25 hr drive turned into a 3.5 hr trip

rvrpig
01-24-2006, 10:53 PM
Hey Havasu Hanging...your profile says born (June 2, 1945).....the CHP should (for safe measures....) revoke your license....Old fart drivers are worse than any other drivers.

Kilrtoy
01-24-2006, 11:05 PM
I remember the guy who trashed talked cops to me on this site and then became all chummy when he realized he sold boats for a living and found out who his bread and butter customers are: that's right, LE/FD (hint: was'nt Keith)/ LOL.
LR
Spill the beans, WHO IS IT....

Havasu Hangin'
01-25-2006, 05:09 AM
2001 sure does seem a long time ago when I was one of the only two cops on this site. Boy how times have changed.
Hey LR...I was wondering when you'd show up. :D
I knew when I posted it that it would ignite some emotions (like the old days). Obviously, not all CHP are idiots. The purpose was to make those CHP here think about how they are percieved on an accident scene. They could be the hardest working guys in California, but something as simple as a joke at the wrong time can give the wrong impression.
The impression I got when I finally made it up to the scene was that there was no sense of urgency. Whether that is true or not is beside the point- it is the perception. If I were a CHP, that would probably bother me....but hey, I actually care about my job.
(BTW- that was a joke, too)
For those of you that say "some times we have to inconvenience others to make sure we know what happened..." I completely understand. However, there is a fine line between "incoveniencing" and "disregarding". I challenge you guys think about the folks still in their cars on your next accident scene- they are noticing your actions.
PS- For the record, I never said being a CHP was an easy job, or that they are overpaid.
Hey Havasu Hanging...your profile says born (June 2, 1945).....the CHP should (for safe measures....) revoke your license....Old fart drivers are worse than any other drivers.
Yeah, tell me about it...us old folks do have their troubles.
The other day, I turned left out of where I live (Leisure World), and I didn't realize that I had left my blinker on all the way to Havasu!
It's a good thing I never went above 45MPH...

Jbb
01-25-2006, 05:18 AM
Wow Jeff,
Here, I'll say it. Yes, we, as cops (I'll say LAPD Metropolitan Division as to not group anyone else) do things that can, have, and will be perceived as "wrong" in one way or another from time to time. I would'nt guess for a second what happened out there but I can say I've laughed at an unrelated joke on a double homicide scene when someone in the public might have seen me smile. Did I laugh at the person who will never see another day or enjoy the sweet freedoms we all enjoy? No.
Regardless, My actions might have been perceived as wrong by someone and for that I say "sorry".
Our profession has something called Gallows Humor. Right or wrong, it's a way guys deal with stress and the daily B.S. that gets thrown our way. Does it mean no one else has to deal with crap in their jobs? No. Does it mean we get looked at a LOT more due to our job and the information age we live in? You bet.
As for LE/FD guys backing each other up, well, what can I say, who else will? .....That's right, no one.
We all make mistakes. I wonder if you remember the time a member of this site posted information about another member that was wanted for a crime. Do you remember the backlash that member got for it? I recall you said he was wrong (the accused was convicted/served time and the want was public information). One of the detractors tried to implicate that the posting member's father, (cop killed in the line of duty), deserved what he got. As you recall, I wanted to meet the guy personally. I remember the PM you sent me trying to tell me those accusers were all decent guys at the river. Well, I have to say I see no difference in a lack of empathy and respect for that guy's father by you and that group as much as you might of saw in a cop laughing on that freeway. Was my perception of you correct? Probably not. Does it make anything "equal"? Not the point here.
Remember, perception is for a short time at individual instants. What may seem inherently wrong may be something else all together, just done at the wrong time. Kind of in the same context the media loves to edit police video to show whatever the station manager wants to "spin" on the news.
Anyways, I'm sure your river buddies are all great guys, that's why you've never met me in person.
Anyways, I've always said this site is for ranting, so rant away and remember to answer my PM questions about battery chargers on a timely basis/LOL
LR
Damm Gary...that was a long time ago......anyways...RD said he could kick your ass........... :p

Jordy
01-25-2006, 07:51 AM
RD said he could kick your ass........... :p
But RD SUX!!! :D :D :D

little rowe boat
01-25-2006, 08:45 AM
That explains why they write Firemen text books to the Second Grade reading level with lots of pictures.......................................... ..
Dude, who's side are you on??? :jawdrop:

blackcloud75
01-25-2006, 09:03 AM
Sorry for misleading..............I was being facetious......
Cop vs. Fireman gig ya know......
We all know that College graduates have failed Paramedic
School (1 of my interns had Master's Degree but couldn't pass Medic school)

Havasu Hangin'
01-25-2006, 09:16 AM
We are all on the same side here. There is no "I" in "team".
However, there is an "I" in "fireman"... :idea:

C-2
01-25-2006, 09:37 AM
HH is on point with the perception thingy.
Thirty years ago LE had overwhelming support. Today it continues to wane, IMO, due to a better educated public and media exposure. People have too many outlets in which to form opinions – roadside accidents, televised trials, real-time car chases, uncompassionate statements by the chief – they all add up.
In the end, perception hurts you guys more than you realize. Voters are less likely to approve larger budgets; jurors no longer trust LE.
Is it right – I don’t think so. I support LE/Firefighters, truth and law and the many other crappy occupations people have that make the world go around.
Reminding us about how lucky we are to have you and how underpaid you are doesn’t help. At some point, preaching to the choir is not a productive thing. Maybe it’s not right, but that’s just the way it is

Jordy
01-25-2006, 09:40 AM
There is no "I" in "team".
However, there is a M E. :D :D :D

Froggystyle
01-25-2006, 09:45 AM
Lady lumps....Lucious lady lumps........
I just heard that song for the first time. Funny thing is, I actually like BEP, but that pretty much sucked.
I bet it slams the sandbar this summer though...

Jordy
01-25-2006, 09:48 AM
I just heard that song for the first time.
How is that possible? Have you been living in a vacuum that is void of all radio, tv, and satellite transmissions??? That song has been played every 3 minutes on some station in every form possible since about last September... it does get the girls shakin' their asses though. ;)

Dave C
01-25-2006, 09:52 AM
HH,
you silver tongue devil.... I'm glad to see you are finally getting the response you deserve..... :rollside:
anywho, that is classic!! LOL

Froggystyle
01-25-2006, 09:59 AM
How is that possible? Have you been living in a vacuum that is void of all radio, tv, and satellite transmissions??? That song has been played every 3 minutes on some station in every form possible since about last September... it does get the girls shakin' their asses though. ;)
Yes. The underside of the helm appears to be a vacuum devoid of outside influence, and I have been living in it.
Nearly done though...
I hope everyone makes it out of this thread intact. I can see both sides, but agree that life on the freeway at an accident scene is like living in a fishbowl. As frogmen, we did a lot of stuff in the public eye on occasion, and when we were, we needed to represent the whole community. I can imagine how old this would get, but HH is right, you represent your entire profession basically all day every day as you spend most of it in the public eye.
I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I am thankful we have good folks doing the job, and I am thankful that there are some cops with the balls to work the real crappy areas and still have a sense of humor over it. I am willing to bet that any CHP officers on the boards here will consider HH's post at some level and react a little differently at the next TA scene they work.
To all of the LE and FF out there, thanks for the service, and as a lot of you know, when we meet, the beer will be on me.
(Also not the boat seller LR was talking about...) ;)

Havasu Hangin'
01-25-2006, 10:18 AM
you silver tongue devil....
So now I'm "the devil" too? :notam:

PBOCOP
01-25-2006, 10:33 AM
It's amazing how much people think they actually know about other people's jobs and or specialties.
Yes, cops and firemen can make pretty good money. I've made over $125k a year for the past 8 years and I barely work. When I'm around, I work 15 hour days and I roll out for to handle our fatal accidents. Oh yea, there are times at fatals that I stand around talking and having coffee too. I love it when people say "oh cops, no way I could do that job for 50k a year". Yea, I wouldn't do it for 50k a year either. But for 125k, take home BMW, ability to take a full month off anytime I want, probably working a total of 6 months per year, 95% paid retirement, medical, and a job I love, it doesn't get much better.
Anyways, yes at big fatal scenes you will have alot of cops around. There are alot of duties to do and there may be times when you drive by that it appears we aren't doing much. We are alotted breaks too, especially when we were just looking at multiple dead bodies in the cars.
So yea, I make decent money, I love my job, and yes, at times I stand around at fatal scenes and do nothing.
Deal with it.
PBOCOPP

Havasu Hangin'
01-25-2006, 10:38 AM
Deal with it.
Nice.

Jordy
01-25-2006, 10:41 AM
at times I stand around at fatal scenes and do nothing.
Couldn't you at least get the outline chalk out and play some tic tac toe or something so you at least look busy??? :D :D :D

Dave C
01-25-2006, 11:03 AM
if the shoe fits.....
I'm counting on one hand the number of people that "get" your sense of humor....... LMFAO......
keep up the good work.... :)
So now I'm "the devil" too? :notam:

Dave C
01-25-2006, 11:07 AM
yes we know, we already got the memo, thanks for the reminder.
LOL
Deal with it.
PBOCOPP

RP1
01-25-2006, 11:36 AM
I have investigated crime scenes which took place in roadways that were not completely shut down to through traffic. All of the sudden, an idiot driver runs right through the tape and hits a parked Patrol unit, injuring the officers to the point of retirement from the job.
Might seem pointless to many, but witness this first hand and it puts thing in perspective.

PBOCOP
01-25-2006, 12:04 PM
If there is a hole, they will find it. Roadways are very dangerous and that is why so many cops/firemen die at collision scenes. Very scary. Much easier to just shut it all down and let the people go around.
Yea, 2 memo's is ok at times too. :))
Life is good, can't complain about anything at this point. But then again, some people just live to complain.
PBOCOP

Havasu Hangin'
01-25-2006, 12:09 PM
...some people just live to complain.
Like cops complaining about posts?
Deal with it.

Seadog
01-25-2006, 12:09 PM
The ones that have the least knowledge are usually the first to complain. In utilities we are constantly getting complains about the guy standing over the manhole doing nothing. Even when we try to explain to them about federal law and the dangers of confined spaces, they always say that we ought to give that person something to do. What can be more important to do than making sure a human being gets home safetly to his family?

Jbb
01-25-2006, 12:46 PM
Like cops complaining about posts?
Deal with it.
That Jeffy is such a clever boy....lol...

famaffair
01-25-2006, 01:05 PM
[QUOTE=PBOCOP] , take home BMW,
Motorcycle Cop huh? :) :)

Dave C
01-25-2006, 01:42 PM
I have a small suggestion. Throw the A-hole into jail that crashes or speeds through these scenes. Any idiot that speeds through a construction/accident zone deserves it!
Why do the rest of us who obey the law by slowing down have to suffer???

Cole91
01-25-2006, 05:39 PM
relax! it's going to be Ok :argue:

Havasu Hangin'
01-25-2006, 05:42 PM
I have a small suggestion. Throw the A-hole into jail that crashes or speeds through these scenes. Any idiot that speeds through a construction/accident zone deserves it!
Why do the rest of us who obey the law by slowing down have to suffer???
Don't go bringing logic into this! :notam:
As the LEO Public Relations Spokesperson has pointed out:
"Deal with it."

PBOCOP
01-25-2006, 07:03 PM
Who's complaining ?
Was just pointing out that you complained about something you had no knowledge about. You just assumed that everyone was standing around doing nothing at that time. I think you are wrong. Maybe they were waiting for the coroner to get there to get that body off the top of the big rig ? Who knows. But with all the brass on a scene like that I can almost guarantee they were just standing around doing nothing.
And yea...haaa...I like that....Deal with it !!
:220v:

Havasu Hangin'
01-25-2006, 07:18 PM
Was just pointing out that you complained about something you had no knowledge about.
Let's see...I am
1. a motorist
2. With two eyeballs that work
I'd say that qualifies me to observe a bunch of people standing around drinking coffee in the middle of the roadway. That's what I observed. If you take a few minutes and read the thread, you'll see that I point out this:
The purpose (of this thread) was to make those CHP here think about how they are percieved on an accident scene. They could be the hardest working guys in California, but something as simple as a joke at the wrong time can give the wrong impression.
The impression I got when I finally made it up to the scene was that there was no sense of urgency. Whether that is true or not is beside the point- it is the perception.
You just assumed that everyone was standing around doing nothing at that time. I think you are wrong. Maybe they were waiting for the coroner to get there to get that body off the top of the big rig ? Who knows. But with all the brass on a scene like that I can almost guarantee they were just standing around doing nothing.:
Two observations:
1. I was there, you were not
2. See my quote above
Since you don't seem to take the time to read my posts, I'll quote myself again:
Who's complaining ?
You're right...my bad. You're not complaining, it's more like "whining."
Deal with it!

PBOCOP
01-25-2006, 08:42 PM
Typical idiot. You win. Don't forget to call 911.

Phat Daddy
01-25-2006, 09:20 PM
Have'nt had a chance to read all the way through this thread but I kind of agree with HH. I was on the freeway the other day, when a car cut me off. He then proceeded to cross double yellows into the carpool lane. All this time a CHP behind me(and I'm sure he seen it). Then the CHP crosses into the carpool. I was thinking, "yeah, finally an asshole driver is going to get popped"... nope. CHP just proceeds on his cell phone and cuts back across the double yellows and hauls ass out of there. WTF!!! :mad:

Dave C
01-26-2006, 09:06 AM
I disagree, I hear ol HH wrote the book on "standing around and not doing nothing."
So if anyone is qualified to tell if someone is doing nuthin, its him.... :notam:
Who's complaining ?
Was just pointing out that you complained about something you had no knowledge about. You just assumed that everyone was standing around doing nothing at that time. I think you are wrong. Maybe they were waiting for the coroner to get there to get that body off the top of the big rig ? Who knows. But with all the brass on a scene like that I can almost guarantee they were just standing around doing nothing.
And yea...haaa...I like that....Deal with it !!
:220v:

blackcloud75
01-26-2006, 05:06 PM
This is a CHP training Video...........
http://www.break.com/index/highwayaccidents.html
On how to stand around and do nothing.......and then point and laugh....
At all the idiot's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Look quick and you'll see HH all pissed off as he passes! WAVE WITH ALL YOUR FINGERS GHETTO RAT!

Liquid Courage
01-26-2006, 05:32 PM
You guys need to stop bickering about this. Here's my observations, and I don't think they can be denied by either side of this "arguement".
a) It does "look bad" to the public to see multiple police units and officers standing around a collision scene.
b) Most of the public are not informed to what exactly the officers standing around are doing. May it be traffic control or conducting a fatal investigation (which at times they close the whole freeway/roadway down and take their time).
Great video by the way.
Oh, and H.H., if you really wanted to make some progress with your issue, you should've called the chp office in that area and made a complaint.