PDA

View Full Version : A question about Resume writers/writing

Tremor Therapy
12-07-2006, 04:24 PM
A question for the HB brethren......
There have been serious trials and tribulations where I work, I've had enough, and have made the decision to move on.
So the question....does anyone have any experience with someone who writes professional resumes, or has used a professional resume writing service?
I could put mine together, but I have been amazed at some of the resumes I have read in the past. I would appreciate any information from those in the know!
Thanks!

voodoomedman
12-07-2006, 04:38 PM
A question for the HB brethren......
There have been serious trials and tribulations where I work, I've had enough, and have made the decision to move on.
So the question....does anyone have any experience with someone who writes professional resumes, or has used a professional resume writing service?
I could put mine together, but I have been amazed at some of the resumes I have read in the past. I would appreciate any information from those in the know!
Thanks!
I don't know how much it costs but they can't do anything you can't. Don't get me wrong if it's not too expensive then go for it but if it's like $500 or something ridiculous then go the library and look at some books on resume writing or go by one.
Basically though you need something that when a manager is looking through stacks and stacks of resumes then yours will stand out enough to get a second look. After that you need some good info on there that will get them to call you. After that it is all up to you to get the job. All a resume does is get the phone to ring.

bordsmnj
12-07-2006, 06:28 PM
I am an HR manager. I could fax you a bunch of nice resumes and you could get some ideas from them if you want. I think a professional resume writing dealio is a waste of money. When I read resumes, I look for simple, no spelling errors, no longer than one page etc. Ones full of bullshit do not get a second look.
pm me (mrs. bordsmnj) if you want some ideas.
Linda

buzzaro
12-07-2006, 06:31 PM
You still need to get all your relevent info together, skills and all that stuff as well as experience. The resume writer will put it all together and make it look and sound great though. Its definately worth it if you dont know much about writing resumes. My wife does hers every couple of years and the books she gotten make it seem really involved if you do all the particular things they say the recruiters/hiring managers look for. So if you dont feel like doing any research and getting the resume out there quickly it could definately be the way to go.

voodoomedman
12-07-2006, 07:10 PM
I am an HR manager. I could fax you a bunch of nice resumes and you could get some ideas from them if you want. I think a professional resume writing dealio is a waste of money. When I read resumes, I look for simple, no spelling errors, no longer than one page etc. Ones full of bullshit do not get a second look.
pm me (mrs. bordsmnj) if you want some ideas.
Linda
Take this advice. The one page thing is a huge tip. Who wants to look at some 5 page resume when you have a stack to go through. If you can't take the time to not have spelling errors then what's the quality of your work going to be like. This guy is an HR manager. Some of the theories in the books and such have got to be when your floating a resume to be a vice president at a fortune 500 company. Most 50 grand a year HR guys are not going all that in depth.

Froggystyle
12-07-2006, 07:28 PM
What I look for is a concise summary page. I also look for a personal narrative on another page as to why specifically you want to work there.
I also would like to see letters of reference, in full. Descriptions of work that has been accomplished, etc... I also like to see hobbies, other skills and goals.
All of that stuff can be in addendums. There should be a cherry cover page, with all of this stuff to put you on top of any other applicants.

C-2
12-07-2006, 08:44 PM
Your resume should be a reflection of your true personality type - and that will dictate how lengthy it is.
Remember - you know you better than anybody else!

Froggystyle
12-07-2006, 08:59 PM
Your resume should be a reflection of your true personality type - and that will dictate how lengthy it is.
Remember - you know you better than anybody else!
Exactly. Nobody cares more than you whether you get the job. Most people don't want to brag either... F that. Brag. They aren't going to find out if you don't. Your old boss probably won't brag for you, neither will your Mom. You need to tell your future employer how great you are, why you are going to be a great investment of time and money and how much better their organization will be because of your participation. Answer those questions well, and you will get the job.

Redwing247
12-07-2006, 10:44 PM
If all else failed, dazzle 'em with bull s chit :D

XtrmWakeborder
12-07-2006, 11:02 PM
My advanced business communication teacher and speech communication teachers were both professional interviewers. They both said, when looking through resumes they liked them 1-2 pages MAX! Also they said they liked the pre-formatted microsoft word templates for resumes, or the resume wizard. They were familiar with them already and could scan very quickly for the key points. I'm 2 for 2 so far with the template resume so its working for me. Additionally a cover letter is a pretty good idea.

BreastManWins
12-07-2006, 11:09 PM
Here's my tip: you don't need to go into detail about the jobs you had early in your career. Simply put the first few under a heading titled, "Previous Experience" and list each one very briefly. That will allow you to cover your most recent experiences in greater detail.
Be sure to brag about yourself and your accomplishments. If you don't who will?!
Good luck!