PDA

View Full Version : I'd love to forget the last 30 days

NorCalCat
12-08-2006, 03:02 PM
Wanna talk about a bad month... I go in for back surgery on Nov. 11, two weeks later go back to the ER room because of hrible abdominal pain to find out I have testicular cancer as well. Had surgery for that one week ago today. I start chemo on Monday for four months.
Anyone on here ever gone trough chemo? Not looking forward to it, I hear it is a real nasty time.

Windy
12-08-2006, 03:07 PM
I wish you the best...my younger brother went through chemo for a year and a few months.:(

ratso
12-08-2006, 03:09 PM
Wanna talk about a bad month... I go in for back surgery on Nov. 11, two weeks later go back to the ER room because of hrible abdominal pain to find out I have testicular cancer as well. Had surgery for that one week ago today. I start chemo on Monday for four months.
Anyone on here ever gone trough chemo? Not looking forward to it, I hear it is a real nasty time.
Dang man... good luck with it all. I have yet to go through anything like that, but during the rough times that I have had, this place is one of the best "boosts" I get to help me through the day.

Mrs Luvnlife
12-08-2006, 03:10 PM
:( Wow, Eric so sorry to hear this. My Dad went through it about 6 years ago and also just a couple months ago. The first scenario was much different than the most recent. He had good days and bad days. This past episode was kind of a walk in the park, they have so much more medicine for alot of the side effects. Thank god, today he is 100% free of malignant cancer. Just fight the hell out of it and keep your head high! We are thinking of you and your family and wish you all the best :clover: .

Water Romper
12-08-2006, 03:30 PM
It’s always hard when you hear the word “cancer” . The fear of the treatment can be as terrifying as the disease it’s self.
Cancer treatments are different for each individual; I have had cancer (Melanoma) for 2 years now and plan on living until my 90’s. My Chemo was not fun yet it was tolerable. The interferon was the same, not fun but you do what you got to do. My hair DID NOT fall out, I was not horribly sick and I never missed work (except for the surgeries)
Make sure you talk to your oncologist, ask him all the questions you have and let him/her know how you feel. Also ask about holistic therapy that works along with your treatment, it will do wonders.
Your life is NOT over; this is just a slight hiccup. Remember, you need to stay on top of your treatments and don’t miss your Dr. appointments.
You will be amazed how well you will adapt to this, and if you’re a family man, you will understand how precious life is and don’t sweat the small stuff.
You will be boating for many years to come.

OliverM5
12-08-2006, 03:34 PM
Sent you an IM.

THOR
12-08-2006, 03:35 PM
Good luck brother. Keep your head up.

Ryphraph
12-08-2006, 03:53 PM
I only know chemo from a second hand point of view as I sat with my wife when she went through it. As stated already,each person will experience it differently and it depends on what you are prescribed.
Looking back, it goes by quickly. Just keep in mind that it will be a distant memory one day.
Hang in there!
Ryph

bunny 166
12-08-2006, 04:22 PM
OMGosh, I'm so sorry! What a month is right! Just do exactly what the doctors say and keep up the fight--you'll be feeling like your old self in no time....Hang in there...:clover: :clover:

Kilrtoy
12-08-2006, 04:57 PM
Keep the faith and keep your head up. Its gonna get harder before it gets easier.
BEST OF LUCK AND WISHES

fat rat
12-08-2006, 05:09 PM
All in time.............one day this will just be a memory.
I wish you the best.

NorCalCat
12-08-2006, 05:37 PM
Thanks everyone. I think I have a pretty postitive outlook on this...Afterall, I don't have a choice. 2 little boys and a wife. Grim alternative...
Thanks again!

phebus
12-08-2006, 05:38 PM
Attitude, attitude. attitude. Kick it's ass.

Mrs Luvnlife
12-08-2006, 06:07 PM
Thanks everyone. I think I have a pretty postitive outlook on this...Afterall, I don't have a choice. 2 little boys and a wife. Grim alternative...
Thanks again!
Nothing better than the attitude you have.....awesome ;) ! Stay positive and be a fighter!! We'll see ya on the water next year :) .

phebus
12-08-2006, 06:15 PM
I've had several back surgeries, and I used to goof around, and say "I'd give my left nut for my back to feel better". I guess I'd better watch out for what I ask for, huh?
Best of luck, and if you get to Havasu, and don't quite feel good enough to take your boat out, look me up. We always have room.

Not So Fast
12-08-2006, 06:58 PM
I have nightmares about what you have, literally, it scares the living shit out of me. What I can offer is this, My oldest son at age 30 was diagnosed with lympnoma (Lance Armstrong was his inspiration) and he went through Chemo. he is now 36 and been clean for over 5 years. I hope this helps. God bless! NSF (Bobby)

Never Too Old
12-08-2006, 07:28 PM
If you haven't already...
Learn as much as you can about the disease. Search the internet. Literally spend days doing it.
Find out what chemotherapy drugs you will be taking. Again, learn everything you can about them. Side effects, etc.
Learn about treatment options. Surgery, radiation, chemo, etc
Become an expert on testicular cancer and treatments. Learn the treatment history and evolution of current methods of treatment.
Sadly, we live in a cookie cutter world of medicine. Doctors aren't paid enough by insurance companies to allow them to spend the time that each patient requires. That is why you need to have enough knowledge to know if your on the right track. You need to anticipate and know if the side effects you may experience are normal or if dosages need to be adjusted. You need to know when to question your doctor's treatment plans. Make it clear that you have studied up on your condition and are aware of options and the latest treatments.
Don't be afraid to change doctors if you feel yours isn't giving you the attention and advice you need.
I don't mean too sound harsh, but if you have never experienced our healthcare system with a serious illness, you are in for a surprise. Be ready to get involved in your own healthcare and treatment. Be as prepared with knowledge as you can possibly be.
Best of luck to you.

Flyinbowtie
12-08-2006, 08:16 PM
Our very best to you, fellow Nor Cal'er.
At one point during my back deal this is what we thought I had.
It turned out to be something else; two completely failed discs.
My surgery was last January 17th.
Hanging out here, strangley, did help.:mix:
As everybody has said, hang in there, and NEVER be afraid to ask questions of anybody who is treating you. If you don't understand, ask again. Being in the mix with the treatment is critical to getting your mind wrapped around the healing process.

work2play
12-08-2006, 08:40 PM
You have received some good advice. Knowledge is power. Study up. Ask your doc questions to keep him thinking and you in the loop. My wife has had bone cancer, brain cancer, and lung cancer for two years now.(it is breast cancer that matastisized) We fight it every day. Her attitude is so good you would think she only had a head cold. Keep your atitude good. Fight. Our prayers are with you.

Nord
12-08-2006, 09:09 PM
Geez.......good luck. Not much more to add to what everyone else has said. It would be nice if you can keep us informed as you go along so we can all be educated on this as you do.
~NORD~

Mrs.Racer277
12-08-2006, 09:13 PM
Get Well Soon. You will be in our thoughts and prayers. Hang in there.

OliverM5
12-08-2006, 09:38 PM
My buddy will be calling you sometime this weekend....he is a great guy and is my inspritation in life....I'll give you the best piece of advice to beat what you are faced with: Attitude is EVERYTHING.

Huckleberry
12-09-2006, 02:40 AM
NCC,
Fourteen years ago I was diagnosed with Stage 4 Hodgkin’s Disease. At the time I was given a 20% chance of survival due to the advanced stage it had gotten to before being detected. After the initial shock, fear, "why me's", and anger I decided that I was not going to let some microscopic abnormality kick my ass. I decided right then that I was going to win this battle. As many have already said, your attitude is everything. You need to make up your mind that you are going to beat this shit…PERIOD!
Make sure you have the best oncologist money can buy. This is not the time to be bargain shopping, cause if they screw up there’s no return policy! You’re dealing with your life here, not looking for a new gardener. Do your homework like Never Too Old said. Become an expert on your cancer and your treatment. My oncologist told me something that made it easier for him to treat me and for me to deal with my cancer. He said, “The tumors inside your body are not yours to deal with, worry about, or cure. That’s my job. Your job is to deal with the rest of your body and your attitude. I’m damn good at my job. You be good at yours and together we will beat this.” He was right. Once you’ve picked out your oncologist and are comfortable with him, turn over the cancer to him. You need to keep your head screwed on right and keep your body healthy to help fight the cancer and to able to tolerate the chemo.
If I told you that chemo was easy I would be lying. It sucks! But consider the alternative and suddenly it is not so bad. Again…Attitude is everything. I went through 18 months of chemo with six weeks of radiation in the middle of it. There were times at the end when I was so sick from the chemo that I wanted to just say fock it and stop. That is when the fighter in you must come out. Stay strong, stay positive, and no matter what DO NOT GIVE UP. You can and will beat this.
Many of your friends and family will ask you if there is anything they can do to help you. Most of them do not know what you are going through, but are willing to do literally anything you ask of them. Even if it is the smallest task, let them help. It helps them feel better because they are helping, and it will help you too. This is a time to rely on your family and friends as your support group. Don’t try to be John Wayne and do everything yourself. Use their help and save your strength for your battle. Cancer is no longer a death warrant like it was many years ago. Most folks diagnosed with cancer these days go on to live long, healthy lives. You just have to muddle through this first.
You’re facing a ton o’ crap right now, and if you have any questions feel free to PM me and I’ll help ya with whatever I can.
Hang strong brother and God Bless.
Huck

Boatmaster
12-09-2006, 08:44 AM
Eric I wish you and your family the best, very sorry to hear this. Keep positive and lets get you back out on the water!

Trailer Park Casanova
12-09-2006, 09:03 AM
My wife is in ICU cancer treatment.
Outta the gate she recomends you ask your surgeon to do all the cutting and sewing,, ALL of it. 100%.
Why?:
Often the surgeon will do half the work, then hand it to a resident/intern, then the surgeon steps into the next operating room and begins another proceedure,, and the rookie doesn't stitch the internals correctly,, and it'll leak & you'll be sicker & take months and months longer to heal.
If you are in the dark about anything, I'll ask the wife and she'll come into the forum directly and answer your questions as she has done in the past.
She's asleep now, I'll ask her about your proceedure when she wakes up.
Might be soon, her buttfloss on her tight size 3 butt are exposed through the sheets as she sleeps.
I sit here typing, observing,, aroused,, erotic desires are entering my pea size brain, encouraged in the thought she's told me to wake her up whenever the urge arrives,,
You'll do fine, best wishes, it's perfected.

Devil's Advocate
12-09-2006, 10:22 AM
So sorry to hear this. I wish you the very best. A strong mind equals a strong body. You just hang in there and you'll beat this thing.

BreastManWins
12-09-2006, 10:36 AM
Keep your spirits up - we'll hope for the best for you!

Robbie Racer
12-09-2006, 10:53 AM
Eric, sorry to hear the bad news. I don't have any personal experiences to share (says while knocking on wood) but I wanted to let you know I'm wishing you the best of luck in beating this thing.

NorCalCat
12-09-2006, 11:32 AM
Thanks evryone! I am giong to get ths done with starting Monday...Keep my head up and look forward to the up coming boating season!
Happy Holidays everyone.

LUVNLIFE
12-09-2006, 12:05 PM
Eric I'm so sorry to hear of this. Head strong and listen to the Drs, they know best. Give our best to your family and we will see you on the water.

rrrr
12-09-2006, 01:52 PM
You have my best wishes......hope you kick this thing.

boater012
12-09-2006, 02:00 PM
I am sorry to hear this news. I just went through a battle with a brain stem tumor. I found out after a car accident last october and started my radiation almost immediately. You will feel really sick and very lathargic (sp?). I was in treatment for 9-1/2 months and they just told me in june that i was in the clear.
Dont be scared but ask as many questions as you can. You will be fine if you keep a positive attitude. The days following your treatment will be the worst and you will sleep alot.
Good luck and may god bless you!

Tom Brown
12-09-2006, 02:25 PM
I'm sorry you're having such a rough time, NorCalCat. You have my best wishes.
You've got a lot of friends here. This place would probably be great therapy when you're going through that type of thing.

NorCalCat
12-10-2006, 04:40 PM
I'm sorry you're having such a rough time, NorCalCat. You have my best wishes.
You've got a lot of friends here. This place would probably be great therapy when you're going through that type of thing.
Tom, I agree! Thanks for the support!

Trailer Park Casanova
12-10-2006, 05:05 PM
Wife says the chemo isn't too bad.
Ya loose weight, your hair loss is temporary, and ya get sick,, but you'll survive.
Just a few years ago ya died a miserable death.
You'll do fine sayz the wife.

deltarat
12-10-2006, 07:18 PM
Eric I am really sorry to hear that you have to go through all of this. Keep a positive outlook and we will all be praying for you in my house.

NorCalCat
12-12-2006, 09:01 AM
Eric I am really sorry to hear that you have to go through all of this. Keep a positive outlookand we will all be praying for you in my house.
Thanks Deltarat. At least I can get on the wireless here toblow time.
By the way what was the damage at the Cat Attack? Drive only?

Windy
12-12-2006, 09:05 AM
Wife says the chemo isn't too bad.
Ya loose weight, your hair loss is temporary, and ya get sick,, but you'll survive.
Just a few years ago ya died a miserable death.
You'll do fine sayz the wife.
Everyone is different when it comes to Chemo...and there are many different kinds of Chemo...it all depends on what type of cancer you have, and the stage of your cancer.

Windy
12-12-2006, 09:05 AM
I wish you the best NorCalCat.

deltarat
12-12-2006, 10:31 AM
Thanks Deltarat. At least I can get on the wireless here toblow time.
By the way what was the damage at the Cat Attack? Drive only?
Oil pump pick up fell off of the oil pump:mad:

DCBob
12-12-2006, 11:28 AM
Hey Eric. Really sorry to hear of your bad news. Stay strong and know we are all thinking of you and wishing you the best of luck during this ordeal. Hang in there.
Bob

acatitude
12-12-2006, 11:31 AM
Stay strong Eric, you'll beat it. we will see you on the water this summer..Ken

NorCalCat
12-12-2006, 11:31 AM
Hey Eric. Really sorry to hear of your bad news. Stay strong and know we are all thinking of you and wishing you the best of luck during this ordeal. Hang in there.
Bob
Thanks Bob! Just looking forward to some of them Mudslides in 07!
Happy Holidays!

HCS
12-12-2006, 11:33 AM
Sorry to hear.
Way to keep a positive attitude!
Wish you the best.
Tom.

NorCalCat
12-12-2006, 11:38 AM
Stay strong Eric, you'll beat it. we will see you on the water this summer..Ken
Thanks Ken. Looking forward to it. Luckly they have wireless here and I can try to keep myself sane for the 6 hrs a day treatment.
How are you and your friends doining since the poker run. I haven't talked to Dr. Evil once.
Happy Holidays!

out of bounds
12-12-2006, 11:39 AM
Attitude, attitude. attitude. Kick it's ass.
very good friend is going through the hole deal right now. His Attitude is possitve and he is kicking its ass. we also live in nor cal p m if you need any info that my help.

OGShocker
12-12-2006, 11:50 AM
The only thing I can add is we are thinking about you and your family. Our prayers go out for a speedy recovery and continued strength.
Mark & Denise
PS. I still like your Avatar!

abraman1326
12-12-2006, 12:21 PM
Eric, I'm very sorry to hear about all you've been going through. I'm sure the back surgery wasn't a walk in the park, and now this. If you need someone to talk to, hit me up. I haven't been through it personally, but my little brother went through all of the treatments, and I was by his side through all of it, so if you need to vent, let me know. It can be a very difficult time, but keep your head up, and a positive attitude, and it'll make it much easier. It sucks that this always seems to happen to the best people. Goood luck through it all, and I owe you a drink at the next get together...
BRA

Flyinbowtie
12-12-2006, 12:47 PM
NCC, better to be staring out those windows now watching it rain than in the middle of summer, I guess.
I had two artifical discs placed in my spine last Jan 17th at St. Mary's down in S.F. they went in from the front; I got me a nice scar from my navel to my, ah, nether regions...:mix: It was, and still is experimental surgery, scared the bejesus outta me. Still does.
Nothing like what you are going through, but when they told me I would be 50% back by summer, I knew I could get on Bullards, so I spent all last winter focused on the upcoming summer. when I got real down I went out into the garage and crawled up into the boat.
I guess it helped, maybe you can find a place in your head to do the same thing.
We've never met, but we're praying for you up here in the Gold Country.
FBT

BIGJOEDUCKSLAYER
12-12-2006, 01:03 PM
NCC GET WELL SOON AND I WILL BUY 1ST ROUND @TOWER PARK THIS SUMMER, IF YOU NEED SOMEONE TO DRIVE CAT IM YOUR GUY:mix:
MY SON WENT THREW CHEMO A FEW YEARS BACK,KEEP GOOD THOUGHTS.
BIG JOE

DCBob
12-12-2006, 02:00 PM
Thanks Bob! Just looking forward to some of them Mudslides in 07!
Happy Holidays!
You can count on it!!!!!!!
Happy Hollidays to you and yours!