PDA

View Full Version : Ford doing a Diesel in their F-150...?

HammerDown
12-10-2006, 06:17 AM
Coming to the States...?
This is what I heard the other day, 4. something diesel engine for the
F-150 ????
This I would consider, as I don't really need the F-250 anymore.

Sleek-Jet
12-10-2006, 06:32 AM
For shame... that is not the ***boat mindset we require around here...
You need at least an F-350 crew... perferably an F-550... at least... minimum... anything less and you're a danger to you and everyone else on the road...
:D :D :D

cc322
12-10-2006, 07:08 AM
Coming to the States...?
This is what I heard the other day, 4. something diesel engine for the
F-150 ????
Yep 2009...
Our plans also include some vehicles you haven’t seen yet – like the next-generation F-150.
Since January, we have dramatically expanded our original plans for the next-generation
F-150 which goes on sale in 2008. As a sign of just how serious we are about truck leadership,
we literally stopped development for two months earlier this year, and we took a look at every element of the product to ensure we remain America’s unquestioned truck leader.
The results are substantial, including a full redesign of the product from front to back,
more innovative customer features and technologies, and an even stronger powertrain lineup.
That, by the way, includes adding higher performance gas and clean diesel options for the
F-150 beyond 2008.
http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=24284

dmontzsta
12-10-2006, 07:45 AM
I was just kicking around a new F150 too, wonder if I should wait.

Trailer Park Casanova
12-10-2006, 07:50 AM
GM has a small V8 diesel coming out too.
Nothing less than the new F450/HD4500 for this family in the future.

NashvilleBound
12-10-2006, 07:50 AM
Yep 2009...
Our plans also include some vehicles you haven’t seen yet – like the next-generation F-150.
Since January, we have dramatically expanded our original plans for the next-generation
F-150 which goes on sale in 2008. As a sign of just how serious we are about truck leadership,
we literally stopped development for two months earlier this year, and we took a look at every element of the product to ensure we remain America’s unquestioned truck leader.
The results are substantial, including a full redesign of the product from front to back,
more innovative customer features and technologies, and an even stronger powertrain lineup.
That, by the way, includes adding higher performance gas and clean diesel options for the
F-150 beyond 2008.
http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=24284
You sound like you work for Ford.....true? I am trying to get info/pricing on the 07 F350. From what I gather the dealers should have pricing the 11th of Dec. With deliveries being VERY weak the first quarter of 07. My trucks for sale and as soon as it sells I will buy a new vehicle.....hopefully a new Ford if not it will be the new Denali SUV. Can you help?

cc322
12-10-2006, 08:11 AM
No I dont work for Ford that quote was taken from the media center. But I do follow the market very closley, kinda a obsession. I do get to give customer feedback to Ford on new products with a chance to give input,for product development. (Trucks) Here is some more good viewing.
http://www.fordboldmoves.com/episode.aspx?episode=17

bigq
12-10-2006, 08:18 AM
With diesel fuel reaching almost a dollar more then regular gas what is the point? they have a gas motor that has plenty of power to pull more then it is capable of. I don't get it. right now i am kinda widhing I had the Hemi instead of my Cummins right now.

Mandelon
12-10-2006, 08:21 AM
Bigq's right. what's the point? The diesel motor cost five or six grand more to start with, then 30% more to fuel up.....
60 cents a gallon MORE than gas around here for Diesel....its just retarded. There's no reason unless you have to tow ALL the time. :hammerhea :( :hammerhea :confused: :cry: :mad:

Baja Big Dog
12-10-2006, 08:21 AM
For the past few years ford has made (or used) a "Baby Powerstroke" that they put in their small city trucks, it is a V-6 version of the 6.0, looks exactly like the 6.0 only shorter, and I rode in one, had plenty of poop....would be a great motor for the 150, all the Chevy nazi's would crap if they do that!!!!

cc322
12-10-2006, 08:25 AM
With diesel fuel reaching almost a dollar more then regular gas what is the point? they have a gas motor that has plenty of power to pull more then it is capable of. I don't get it. right now i am kinda widhing I had the Hemi instead of my Cummins right now.
I agree with you to a point, GM is allready toying with the idea, so Ford needs to beat them to the punch. If they want to keep Truck leadership, as they allready offer more truck configurations then any other truck competitor, the diesel in the F150/Expedition will certainly help them do that.

bigq
12-10-2006, 08:28 AM
Now if they could make it pull all the weight the F150 could and get 35MPG then they might have something.:)
Doesn't that tall Dodge van (forget the name) get somewhere around that? I heard it is quite the ride.

YeLLowBoaT
12-10-2006, 08:34 AM
lets not forget about fleet sales...which is most likly the main target for Ford. having every thing run on one type of fuel is a real cost cutter. I know of several large contractors that have 3/4ton + trucks just bucz they run diesel. When they could get away with a 1/2( or less) for 90% of there needs. Saving 10k a truck, burning less fuel, cheaper maintance all add up to big time savings up front and over time.

Jordy
12-10-2006, 08:39 AM
Doesn't that tall Dodge van (forget the name) get somewhere around that? I heard it is quite the ride.
The Sprinter is what you're thinking of. They do get good mileage but are scary as hell to drive as they're very tall and there isn't much weight to them so they get blown all over the road. Try to tow something with them??? Yeah, you're taking your life into your own hands. I had one for my genset fleet and followed my guy down the road with the smallest generator I have behind him and it was scary. Told them no more, get me another 3/4 ton with a utility bed on it. The Sprinter is now parts duty only. Believe they even pulled the hitch off it so nobody else tries to tow anything.

maxwedge
12-10-2006, 08:49 AM
Now if they could make it pull all the weight the F150 could and get 35MPG then they might have something.:)
Dodge Sprinter..

maxwedge
12-10-2006, 08:55 AM
Sorry accidently pulled the submit button a little early there.
At the small construction company I work for, we drive an average of 150-200 miles a day hauling tools around, considered the sprinter for the mileage and extra space, but in the end went with the old standby E250 van with a 5.4. The mileage sucks but the fuel and initial cost is way cheaper, and as Jordy mentioned it's way easier to drive and park, and it can tow stuff.

NashvilleBound
12-10-2006, 10:07 AM
The upcharge to the new 6.4 DUAL stage SINGLE turbo is roughly $6000. Diesel here is $0.40 a gallon more. This is why I am thinking a new Denali SUV with 380 HP is the way to go. Damn that thing was quiet and comfortable.......never thought I would leave Ford tho....

HammerDown
12-10-2006, 11:18 AM
Now if they could make it pull all the weight the F150 could and get 35MPG then they might have something.:) .
This is along the lines Im looking at or should I say...hope for.

boatnaked
12-10-2006, 12:17 PM
Diesel may be more at the pumps but my last trip I got 21.5 mile to the gallon in my 2000 F-350, 4dr. L/B, my brother inlaw has an F-250 4dr. S/B, and gets about 10 to 12 out of his V-10, the only reason diesel more is that we are being screwed because it's cheaper to make! that's my 2cents worth!

Wet Dream
12-10-2006, 12:22 PM
Ford has a great product right now, but as the newer generation trucks gots heavier, the performance didn't take the same leap. The new 3V engine is very torquey and I like it, but I would like to see some major improvements in the drivetrain, including the engine, but it doesn't have to be as much as the Lightning. Most people that drive trucks aren't into it for the fuel mileage. I would also like to see a tranny that can handle the weight and power without having to worry about failure.