PDA

View Full Version : Can Daycruisers (26' sleek) be used in the ocean?

LCexplorer
12-10-2006, 11:21 AM
Well I have always liked the look of the bigger daycruisers and started looking for a 26' to 28' old school daycruiser hull. I have looked at the 26' Sleekcraft Ambassadeurs and 28' Hawaiian Daycruisers. I know these boats were largely designed as jet boats with BBC.
From my understanding you can get decent performance for the size when equipped with an outdrive (50 mph for a 26' Sleek w/ sbc). I believe part of the reason would be because of the weight of these daycruisers, apparently the 26' sleek with a 350 sbc tipped the scales at 3000 to 3500 lbs from the factory. The daycruiser hulls seems to have a little less deadrise the the offshore boats of those years and the freeboard is a little less as well. Would the daycruiser be able to be used outside on the ocean with their light weight, low freeboard (comparably) and a shallower deadrise or are these boats strictly a lake/river boat?
I would love to have a daycruiser if I could use it in the local saltwater (around Vancouver) without to much worry. I believe the jetboat design of these old daycruisers would work well with my intended set up. I would like to use the BBC 454 Merc Magnum, sitting in my shop, coupled to either a Bravo 1 or more likely the old Arneson I have on the shelf. Any comments would be appreciated.
One last thing if anybody knows of a larger daycruiser hull, I may be interested in looking. Thanks!

SHOTKALLIN
12-10-2006, 02:52 PM
Spectra has some big ones out there. I think 32' maybe. Set it up with twin 377's.

spectras only
12-10-2006, 09:53 PM
I used my 21 Spectra daycruiser for 26 yrs around vancouver. Also my 24 Spectra V-drive , albeit much stronger hulls than the early Slicks ;)
here is a short video of the 24 [ 16 degree deadrise] on the Fraser river
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/Jason%20passing%20by.AVI
In the ocean >http://media.putfile.com/24-Spectra-in-English-Bay-2006-July-22
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=3092752
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=3092762
Find an old school superboat like this 24 footer, much more suitable for the ocean than the Slick .With twin SBC it would scream .
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/superboat.jpg

Zaairman
12-12-2006, 10:22 PM
28' Hawaiian Daycruiser Hull (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hawaiian-craft-28-day-cruiser_W0QQitemZ280058492536QQihZ018QQcategoryZ26 432QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

SPUDWIG
12-13-2006, 07:28 AM
There is a 24 Schiada in the Boat trader right now for only 40k. Great rough water boat, and excellent workmanship. Replacement cost on something like this would be close to 100k. It is a steal at 40k. If I were you I would take a good look at this one.

Keith E. Sayre
12-13-2006, 09:36 AM
If you like that old daycruiser look, (so do I) find a 24' Spectra, they're simply built heavier and stronger. Maybe
not quite as sexy as the Ambassador . Another good one
to check out is the 26' Nordic daycruiser. It's a single stepped daycruiser similar to the Sleek.
Those boats will all do fine in the moderate chop in the
ocean but will pound your brains out if it gets rough due to the flatter bottom of the boat. Good luck.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats

LCexplorer
12-13-2006, 11:03 PM
Thanks for all the feedback so far. As for the Hawaiian on Ebay I was looking at it and may stop by and take a look on my way through to LA this coming week. I am still not 100% sold on the daycruiser satisfying my uses out here. I was looking at old school offshores as well, a '78 Formula 26' Liberator actually but the owner wanted a little to much $$$ for the condition. I may just hold out until I find a "quality" daycruiser or old offshore because I don't hear a lot positive feedback about 26' Sleeks and Hawaiians.
Any other suggestions on a hull for a single Arneson and a BBC Merc Magnum 454?

bubbletop409
12-18-2006, 10:05 AM
Many years ago I took a ride in a buddy's 26 Hawaiian out in SF bay, the water conditions were what I would call moderate, and that hull was moving around like a flexy flyer. At that time I owned a 21 Howard DC and it was a much more solid ride in water much worse than the bay was that day in the Hawaiian, in fact I remember making a comment at the time about the flimsy construction. The view from inside the cabin in rough water was shocking, looked like the boat was ready to come apart at any moment. I would be looking for a Spectre, Howard, Campbell, Schiada etc., if your looking for a classic DC look.

boats&bars
01-06-2007, 06:56 PM
going to catalina in my 24 hawaiian day cruiser the owner before me went all the time

InKahntrol
01-22-2007, 05:13 PM
If you like daycruiser style but want a boat that will truly work in the ocean, you want a 32 Spectra. Strong hull, Deep-V, nice ride, fast. My dad happens to own one, and its for sale. Check it out:
Spectra 32 in Spam Section (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120909&highlight=32+spectra)

MBlaster
01-26-2007, 02:56 PM
Love the Spectra 32.

LCexplorer
01-31-2007, 01:47 AM
Thanks for all the responses, the 32 Spectra would kick ass but unfortunately a little large for my needs right now (but if i had a 2nd Arneson w/another 454 and 45K)
I am more looking at 24'-28' daycruisers as a project or more of an exercise in learning about surface drive. From my figuring, a largish daycruiser (26'-28') were originally designed with a jet in mind with the thrust going straight out the back. Well applying the same prinicple of thrust, I think a surface drive would work well in a Daycruiser Hull. Hey I could be wrong but I figure it's a project anyways.

HALLETT BOY
01-31-2007, 08:27 AM
Nice looking 32 ! , I had a 1980 24 , love the woodgrain .

Tahiti350
02-02-2007, 08:27 PM
take a look at www.skagenboats.com one of the guyd there just posted a project 28' Hawaiian in the Vancuever Washington area for around $1500. Needs a lot of work, but might fit the bill for you.
actually here's the Craigslist ad: http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/boa/266209952.html

LCexplorer
02-07-2007, 09:06 AM
Thanks Tahiti350, I have been eyeing that Hawaiian but unfortunately have not been able to muster the time to take a look. Have you actually seen that boat? I am worried about the repairs done to it after a tree fell on it (the Starboard side by the window).

Tahiti350
02-07-2007, 07:42 PM
No, I haven't seen the boat other than the pictures. Wasn't even aware it had been hit by a tree. no wonder it's so cheap... sorry... looks like the ad has also expired

SummitKarl
02-08-2007, 09:09 AM
Well I have always liked the look of the bigger daycruisers and started looking for a 26' to 28' old school daycruiser hull. I have looked at the 26' Sleekcraft Ambassadeurs and 28' Hawaiian Daycruisers. I know these boats were largely designed as jet boats with BBC.
From my understanding you can get decent performance for the size when equipped with an outdrive (50 mph for a 26' Sleek w/ sbc). I believe part of the reason would be because of the weight of these daycruisers, apparently the 26' sleek with a 350 sbc tipped the scales at 3000 to 3500 lbs from the factory. The daycruiser hulls seems to have a little less deadrise the the offshore boats of those years and the freeboard is a little less as well. Would the daycruiser be able to be used outside on the ocean with their light weight, low freeboard (comparably) and a shallower deadrise or are these boats strictly a lake/river boat?
I would love to have a daycruiser if I could use it in the local saltwater (around Vancouver) without to much worry. I believe the jetboat design of these old daycruisers would work well with my intended set up. I would like to use the BBC 454 Merc Magnum, sitting in my shop, coupled to either a Bravo 1 or more likely the old Arneson I have on the shelf. Any comments would be appreciated.
One last thing if anybody knows of a larger daycruiser hull, I may be interested in looking. Thanks!
here is mine
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/Sleek1.jpg
sounds like you have done your research LC:D
your numbers are just about right, mine is a SBC with a Volvo I/O and 46mph "by the boats speedo" is the best it's gone, I am making the call here shortly on a new motor for this season, rebuild the SBC to a 383 or slap in a BBC, my neighbor has the same boat with a BBC and Bravo1 it runs 65mph.. so it's well worth finding one with the big block in it. I believe HavaPaul here on the board is selling his that is nearly identical to mine.
as for the ocean...NO PROBLEM!!!!! mine cuts through the CRAZY!! Havasu chop with ease..the mid 80's sleek's are basically TANKS of the water, not to mention (2) 6' couches, ice box and queen size bed below deck make it a very comfortable cruiser.
other good chioces for the era are
Nordic (nice design, but funky Helm position)
Campbell 24' cuddy (timeless design) just a sweet boat (most are V-drives)
I don't much about the 80's KSV day cruisers except they look great