PDA

View Full Version : Why are we going to afghanistan ?

derail
12-10-2006, 11:32 AM
My brother ships out jan 5th to afghanistan what happened we took Iraq and Bush didnt find enough oil ? we have known for a few months now but I just started thinking more about it latley. I read that Canada is also sending troops .

Tom Brown
12-10-2006, 11:51 AM
I hope your brother stays safe, derail.
I don't understand the terrorist tactics of the Taliban. I wonder how long it will take them to understand that trying to kill everyone who doesn't share their religious beliefs will get them all killed.

boatnaked
12-10-2006, 11:54 AM
My brother ships out jan 5th to afghanistan what happened we took Iraq and Bush didnt find enough oil ? we have known for a few months now but I just started thinking more about it latley. I read that Canada is also sending troops .
we have been in afghanistan longer than Iraq! since just after 9/11! remember Osama?

YeLLowBoaT
12-10-2006, 11:59 AM
Stay safe... i would rather see troups sent to afghanistan then Iraq... atleast they can do something usefull there...

IMPATIENT 1
12-10-2006, 12:03 PM
I don't understand the terrorist tactics of the Taliban. I wonder how long it will take them to understand that trying to kill everyone who doesn't share their religious beliefs will get them all killed.
kinda like the spanish inquisition or the crusades,lol. worked for the catholics:)

Trailer Park Casanova
12-10-2006, 12:05 PM
The Talliban has regrouped and is coming back pretty strong.
Their latest tactic is to kill teachers. All teachers.
They are led by Omar, and he's on Irans shit list so we'll see how this develops.
All the best for your brother.

Flyinbowtie
12-10-2006, 12:51 PM
You're right, Tom.
But, until the rest of the world really believes that they REALLY do want to kill ALL of us who don't want to follow their lead, well, only some of us will fight them.

Trailer Park Casanova
12-10-2006, 12:55 PM
The big difference here is that the average Afgan doesn't want the Taliban back, and didn't want them in the first place.
But the Russian invasion changed all that.
So,, in turn,, the Taliban needs to kill even more people with terrorist tactics.
The Afgan militas seem to be slipping in their control.

Flyinbowtie
12-10-2006, 01:04 PM
Ross, you are on it, too.
With all the b.s. going on between Pakistan and Afghanistan, and UBL camping in the hills, it has got to be mighty tough for the average family to get any kind of feeling of consistency about what they are going to find when they open their front door, or, worse yet, who is going to kick the door in.
Based upon what I have been told by soldiers who had boots on the ground in Afghanistan, the general population there wants to be free of Taliban/UBL style rule, but needs constant re-enforcement that we are there for the long haul wiht them, and are going to help them shift their economy into a 21st century operation, which means the Poppy Fields gotta go.
I think this is where the largest challenge lies in the future for them.

SmokinLowriderSS
12-10-2006, 06:04 PM
Repeat after me derail ... "There are no oil reserves in Afghanistan. Afghanistan does not have oil."
On the other hand, there are still terrorists in Afghanistan, but fewer all the time.
My best to your brother. :)

Tom Brown
12-10-2006, 06:06 PM
On the other hand, there are still terrorists in Afghanistan, but fewer all the time.
Are you saying things are getting back under control in Afghanistan?
I haven't been following the news much in many, many months. It would be nice to hear that things are going well.