PDA

View Full Version : LCD-DPL-Plasma...?

HammerDown
12-10-2006, 04:51 PM
50" area...talk to me people.
Longevity, manufactures etc...?
PS. Toshiba, Panasonic, JVC have been very good to me in the past, but now we have LG, Dell and a few others out there.

Wet Dream
12-10-2006, 04:57 PM
Plasma (don't bother with any other) Toshibai, Sony, Panasonic (no order)

MBlaster
12-10-2006, 04:59 PM
I don't own one but I hear many good things about the Panny plasma's.

Wet Dream
12-10-2006, 05:04 PM
I'm personally looking at the Pana 42". I really like the Tosh with the black panel or face but way too much glare/reflection.

707dog
12-10-2006, 05:06 PM
I Got A 56 Dlp(samsung) Im Happy And My Bro Has A 50 Plasma(pioneer) He Is Happy,pops Gots A 52 Lcd And Loves It!! So Guess It Just Depends On What You Looking For And Do You Wanna Hang It Up Or Use A Stand..check Them All Out And Tinker With All The Functions!! Ggod Luck

phebus
12-10-2006, 05:25 PM
JYRUIZ seems to really know his stuff when it comes to tv's. PM him.

little rowe boat
12-10-2006, 05:31 PM
I have a 52" LCD panasonic, the pic is beautiful. The Plasma pic is even better. Plasma's have come a long way . They have a 50 to 60 thousand hour life.

Beer-30
12-10-2006, 05:35 PM
I just got a Panasonic 50" TH-50PX6U. Fairly "entry-level" for plasma. $2290 out the door from Costco for that and the wall angle-mount. Has two HDMI ports, so it is plenty flexible. It is "just" our bedroom TV, so I didn't get too carried away with specs. Even with crappy 480 feeds, it has a clear and crisp picture.
It was $2399 and had a $400 instant rebate (at the register). That sale ended last Sunday.

hot_diggity_dog
12-10-2006, 06:26 PM
50" area...talk to me people.
Longevity, manufactures etc...?
PS. Toshiba, Panasonic, JVC have been very good to me in the past, but now we have LG, Dell and a few others out there.
OK Roz is the Guru on this subject.:rolleyes: :rollside:
Not all are equall!!:argue: :2purples:
Best out there.:hammerhea
Fujitu or Pioneer Elite.:rolleyes:
I know the prices are real good on all 42" models right now but they are cheaper for a reason. The difference in the quality is hands down. But some peeps would never see the difference.
HDD:cool:

Brian
12-10-2006, 06:43 PM
I've had a 56" LG DLP for a couple of years now, great picture (depending on input signal of course), lots of features, reasonable price. Nice to not have to worry about burning in, and moving pics are clean and crisp, no ghosting like with some other technologies (at least when I was shopping). I'll probably need to replace the bulb one of these days.
:cool:

Jyruiz
12-10-2006, 07:46 PM
It all depends on what you are going to use it for the most, Movies/DVD's, HD, NTSC, cable/SAT, gaming? Also, are you looking for something that will hang on a wall, go in an entertainment cabinet?

Jyruiz
12-10-2006, 07:48 PM
I've had a 56" LG DLP for a couple of years now, great picture (depending on input signal of course), lots of features, reasonable price. Nice to not have to worry about burning in, and moving pics are clean and crisp, no ghosting like with some other technologies (at least when I was shopping). I'll probably need to replace the bulb one of these days.
That bulb has a stated life of 6 to 8k hours, I would get one a spare around 3k though as the manufacturers stimates are always high, it also depends on how high you have your contrast and brightness at, the higher those are, the less the lamp will last.

Jyruiz
12-10-2006, 07:49 PM
[B}Fujitu or Pioneer Elite[/B].:rolleyes:
I know the prices are real good on all 42" models right now but they are cheaper for a reason. The difference in the quality is hands down. But some peeps would never see the difference.
One and two right there.

HammerDown
12-11-2006, 02:12 PM
The "burning in" etc is what worries me w/Plasma...kind-ah.
Last thing I want is a 2k+ TV that may be done in 5-7 years.
Also, from the little bit I've looked into the DPL's, they can be serviced somewhat easily.
Thanks for all the feedback.

HammerDown
12-11-2006, 02:19 PM
If I may add real quick...local stataions FOX, CBS, NBC, ABC etc all have their station symbols at the bottom the the screen...would something like this "burn in" the Plasmas?

Jyruiz
12-11-2006, 02:31 PM
If I may add real quick...local stataions FOX, CBS, NBC, ABC etc all have their station symbols at the bottom the the screen...would something like this "burn in" the Plasmas?
If you have the contrast set above 40%, then yes, there is a chance of burn-in. That is why I said that plasmas would not be good for gamers or people who watch a lot of news with tickers at the bottom of the screen, the potential for burn-in is there. A properly calibrated plasma or CRT display usually does not get burn-in. All these technologies have pros and cons, and burn-in is the biggest con for the plasmas. The picture quality of the plasma though, is only second to CRT, now that CRT TV's are being fazed out, plasmas will have the best PQ till SED technology gets here.

fat rat
12-11-2006, 02:39 PM
We got the Samsung DLP and love it, going on 3 years no problems. But hear Phillips is comming out with the LYCOS, which is suppose to be the shiat.

Jyruiz
12-11-2006, 02:46 PM
We got the Samsung DLP and love it, going on 3 years no problems. But hear Phillips is comming out with the LYCOS, which is suppose to be the shiat.
The LCOS displays are smoother than DLP and LCD and because of that, it is harder to see the pixels, but the lack of color accuracy and black level has a lot to be desire.

fat rat
12-11-2006, 02:51 PM
The LCOS displays are smoother than DLP and LCD and because of that, it is harder to see the pixels, but the lack of color accuracy and black level has a lot to be desire.
How would rate it, compared to the other's? I haven't seen one yet....just curious.

HammerDown
12-11-2006, 02:56 PM
If you have the contrast set above 40%, then yes, there is a chance of burn-in. That is why I said that plasmas would not be good for gamers or people who watch a lot of news with tickers at the bottom of the screen, the potential for burn-in is there. A properly calibrated plasma or CRT display usually does not get burn-in. .
Great feedback and thank you!
Key word..."usually" and with my luck yes to burn-in.
My living room is bright during the day so I'm thinking no to Plasma.
The DPL I viewed yesterday looked crisp and sharp...could be the one.

Jyruiz
12-11-2006, 02:57 PM
How would rate it, compared to the other's? I haven't seen one yet....just curious.
I would put LCOS right under DLP/SXRD, but above LCD. Unless Phillips is going to do something extraordinary, but JVC is leading the way with LCOS and JVC has gotten the technology farther than anybody and have used the technology longer than anybody in the business, so I doubt Phillips will over take them.

Baja Big Dog
12-11-2006, 03:31 PM
Vizio from Costco, 50 inch plasma for under 2 grand, dad bought a 42 inch Vizio plasma and I think it was less than 1300 bucks, and its a great picture.
And IM told they are made in America (Calif). Hows that for Red, White and Blue...................

HammerDown
12-11-2006, 03:42 PM
What ever happened to Zenith?
Ya know "the guality goes in before the name goes on":confused:
That was the name back in the day...back when gas was .35 cents a gallon.

No Regrets
12-11-2006, 03:45 PM
Ive been shopping as well.
Buy @ Costco if they have what you want-no need for extended warranty(even tho the Sony there has an 18 mo in home) as costco will allow return pretty much for life and usually w/out receipt.
I have no idea how they do it. Friend of mine took back a 1 year old plasma and they gave back full refund so he just bought newer technology for about same price as refund.
FWIW-LCD w/b better with brighter rooms with glare-no glassy screen-
1080p is newest technology, although most wont know the diff unless using Blueray-normal Direct TV & Cable HD are hard to tell.

Totally IncapASSitated
12-11-2006, 04:02 PM
My living room is very bright during the day and glare is pretty bad...what type of TV would you guys recommend???
Thanks,
Alan

Jyruiz
12-11-2006, 04:12 PM
My living room is very bright during the day and glare is pretty bad...what type of TV would you guys recommend???
Thanks,
Alan
A set with out a screen protector and a high contrast ratio. You can also remove the screen protector though, I did with my set.

Ivan Dan
12-11-2006, 04:13 PM
Jyruiz....
Kinda in the market for a 50ish wall mount in the neighborhood of $2000-$2500. Suggestions???

Cole Trickle
12-11-2006, 04:15 PM
Thanks,
Alan
Easy soultion.......
Get a job where you leave the house during the day and the brightness won't bother you;):D

Jyruiz
12-11-2006, 04:18 PM
Jyruiz....
Kinda in the market for a 50ish wall mount in the neighborhood of $2000-$2500. Suggestions???
With that budget, I would get this Panasonic,
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11165578&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=

Cole Trickle
12-11-2006, 04:22 PM
Jyruiz....
I got a smoking deal on my 50" Panny when it came out and Wallmart is now quite a bit cheaper.
www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4875626
That is a crap load of TV for the price.I want to Say MSRP was over $3500 6 months ago.:cry: :supp:

Jyruiz
12-11-2006, 04:25 PM
I got a smoking deal on my 50" Panny when it came out and Wallmart is now quite a bit cheaper.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4875626:hammerhea
That is a crap load of TV for the price.I want to Say MSRP was over $3500 6 months ago.:cry: :supp:
Yup, the 1080P plasmas are starting to roll out, so the 720P plasmas are getting lower and lower.

Cole Trickle
12-11-2006, 04:25 PM
With that budget, I would get this Panasonic,
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11165578&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=
you will be able to answer this better than me.
What does the TH50PX60U have in it that the TH50PX6U dosen't? (I know that extra 0 cost me a little bit)

Ivan Dan
12-11-2006, 04:39 PM
Yup, the 1080P plasmas are starting to roll out, so the 720P plasmas are getting lower and lower.
Would the average person be able to tell the difference between 720 and 1080?

Totally IncapASSitated
12-11-2006, 04:46 PM
A set with out a screen protector and a high contrast ratio. You can also remove the screen protector though, I did with my set.
Thanks JY!!

Totally IncapASSitated
12-11-2006, 04:47 PM
Easy soultion.......
Get a job where you leave the house during the day and the brightness won't bother you;):D
Then I will miss all my shows during the day....gossshhhhh!!!! LOL

Jyruiz
12-11-2006, 04:51 PM
you will be able to answer this better than me.
What does the TH50PX60U have in it that the TH50PX6U dosen't? (I know that extra 0 cost me a little bit)
I believe the 60U has the SD card reader and photo viewer, I think there is another difference as well, but I can't remember.

Jyruiz
12-11-2006, 04:54 PM
Would the average person be able to tell the difference between 720 and 1080?
Only if you have 20/20 or better vision and are going to sit 5' from the TV.

Ivan Dan
12-11-2006, 05:06 PM
Only if you have 20/20 or better vision and are going to sit 5' from the TV.
Well....the couch will be like 10 feet or so from where the TV is going to be so I guess it won't make a huge difference huh!?!? :cool: :D
What is the average life expectancy for one of these TV's??? I hear anywhere from 5 to 10 years? Is that about right?

Cat & Mice
12-11-2006, 05:26 PM
The thing that kills me about these threads is that nobody brings up the good Displays like RUNCO or VIDIKRON. Both are in a different catagory then all the other brands mentioned.
Its like someone asking about a new boat to buy and everyone recommends row boats and Bayliners. Dude by far the best and highest performance boat is a Bayliner, Dude you can smoke anything on the water with a Byaliner:hammerhea
Check out the best before you settle for the worst.
50" Vidikron runs about $5k or so and will look tons better then anything at that price. Plus it actually looks good with Standard Def which is what most people still watch more of. Runco would be about $1.5k more and worth every penny.
Plus if you have a problem with either a Runco or Vidikron they will replace or fix it fast, they ar based in the Bay Area not Bejing (sp?)
OK I will get off my soap box now.
Michael

beaverretriever
12-11-2006, 05:32 PM
Fujitu or Pioneer Elite.:rolleyes:
We have the 50" Fujitsu and it is great. We had a 50" DLP. It had tons of bulb problems and always seemed dark.
If you are a gamer, I heard stay away from plasma.

Jyruiz
12-11-2006, 05:54 PM
The thing that kills me about these threads is that nobody brings up the good Displays like RUNCO or VIDIKRON. Both are in a different catagory then all the other brands mentioned.
Its like someone asking about a new boat to buy and everyone recommends row boats and Bayliners. Dude by far the best and highest performance boat is a Bayliner, Dude you can smoke anything on the water with a Byaliner:hammerhea
Check out the best before you settle for the worst.
50" Vidikron runs about $5k or so and will look tons better then anything at that price. Plus it actually looks good with Standard Def which is what most people still watch more of. Runco would be about $1.5k more and worth every penny.
Plus if you have a problem with either a Runco or Vidikron they will replace or fix it fast, they ar based in the Bay Area not Bejing (sp?)
OK I will get off my soap box now.
Michael
I recommend depending on the budget, otherwise, it would be a Fujitsu fallowed by a Pioneer Elite, specially now that the Elites are out with 1080p. Runco and Vidikron are also very good, but they barrow their plasma screens from other manufacturers and tweak them better and install better components, so they are definitely worth the money for the vivd enthusiast who must have the best in PQ.

Jyruiz
12-11-2006, 06:01 PM
Well....the couch will be like 10 feet or so from where the TV is going to be so I guess it won't make a huge difference huh!?!? :cool: :D
What is the average life expectancy for one of these TV's??? I hear anywhere from 5 to 10 years? Is that about right?
Thats a perfect distance for that TV. 1080p is going to take advantage of HD DVD and BlueRay, if you are not going to go that route yet, then don't bother. I myself am waiting for the war to end before jumping on one of those formats, or maybe a universal player that will play both properly.
The Panny has a life of 60,000 hours, that is equal to 8 hours a day for the next 20 years, give or take. And nobody keep a set for 20 years now a days, not even 10 years.

HammerDown
12-11-2006, 06:21 PM
And nobody keep a set for 20 years now a days, not even 10 years.
Weeeellll actually I've got a 12 + year old 36" Toshiba (tube) that is simply great to watch, and never one problem.
But bigger is better and so the desire for a 52" something.:hammerhea

Beer-30
12-11-2006, 06:31 PM
The Pan 50" 6U works great for me. Especially for the bedroom. I am NOT going to replace all of my DVDs for blueray, when I probably wouldn't be able to tell the diff between 720P or 1080P, anyway. This TV will do 720P, and upscale to 1080i.
I didn't need the SD card slot. I would spend more $ on a living room TV that more people are going to see. In the master, though, no reason for all the bells and whistles.
There again, $2290 out the door with the wall mount.

Jyruiz
12-11-2006, 06:48 PM
Weeeellll actually I've got a 12 + year old 36" Toshiba (tube) that is simply great to watch, and never one problem.
But bigger is better and so the desire for a 52" something.:hammerhea
Wow, that is a long time, you will definitely enjoy a 52" something when you do finally upgrade.

Cat & Mice
12-11-2006, 06:51 PM
I recommend depending on the budget, otherwise, it would be a Fujitsu fallowed by a Pioneer Elite, specially now that the Elites are out with 1080p. Runco and Vidikron are also very good, but they barrow their plasma screens from other manufacturers and tweak them better and install better components, so they are definitely worth the money for the vivd enthusiast who must have the best in PQ.
It’s all relative!
I assume by the fact that this guy is on “***boat” forum that he does not have a old Glasstron. Not that there is anything wrong with Glasstron.
Kia’s are great cars for the money but how many guys on HB.com are driving them.
Point is that a guy needs to be educated and understand what his options are.
BTW- Runco and Vidikron shave had displays built to their specs for about 2 years. They no longer hotrod OEM displays.
I have 3 Runco Plasma in my house and I am blown away when I go to a buddy’s house that has a Costco bought plasma that looks like crap but has a $150k ***boat in the garage. Should have bought a Glasstron to go with his crappy plasma.
Sorry to pick on the Glasstrons, I actually know nothing about them.
Michael

Jyruiz
12-11-2006, 06:55 PM
It’s all relative!
I assume by the fact that this guy is on “***boat” forum that he does not have a old Glasstron. Not that there is anything wrong with Glasstron.
Kia’s are great cars for the money but how many guys on HB.com are driving them.
Point is that a guy needs to be educated and understand what his options are.
BTW- Runco and Vidikron shave had displays built to their specs for about 2 years. They no longer hotrod OEM displays.
I have 3 Runco Plasma in my house and I am blown away when I go to a buddy’s house that has a Costco bought plasma that looks like crap but has a $150k ***boat in the garage. Should have bought a Glasstron to go with his crappy plasma.
Michael
Lol, maybe he has bad eyesight.

YODA
12-11-2006, 07:16 PM
Just like when buying an expensive boat-try it out. Go to all the stores and check the ones that interest you. I researched for about two months before I settled on which one I liked. Just remember bigger is always better!! I bought a 61" Samsung and love it. my 0.02

Baja Big Dog
12-11-2006, 09:12 PM
Ive been shopping as well.
Buy @ Costco if they have what you want-no need for extended warranty(even tho the Sony there has an 18 mo in home) as costco will allow return pretty much for life and usually w/out receipt.
I have no idea how they do it. Friend of mine took back a 1 year old plasma and they gave back full refund so he just bought newer technology for about same price as refund.
FWIW-LCD w/b better with brighter rooms with glare-no glassy screen-
1080p is newest technology, although most wont know the diff unless using Blueray-normal Direct TV & Cable HD are hard to tell.
Thats why we refer to it as "Costco Rents"

Kiddunot
12-11-2006, 10:56 PM
THAT IS A GOOD DEAL, PLUS YOU GET FREE SUPPORT NOW FOR THE LIFETIME OF THE TELEVISION AS WELL AS IF YOU DONT WANT IT IN 5-10 YEARS YOU CAN TAKE IT BACK AND UPGRADE TO BIGGER AND BETTER. WHAT A DEAL ALWAYS SHOP AT COSTCO. I just got a Panasonic 50" TH-50PX6U. Fairly "entry-level" for plasma. $2290 out the door from Costco for that and the wall angle-mount. Has two HDMI ports, so it is plenty flexible. It is "just" our bedroom TV, so I didn't get too carried away with specs. Even with crappy 480 feeds, it has a clear and crisp picture.
It was $2399 and had a $400 instant rebate (at the register). That sale ended last Sunday.

ROZ
12-12-2006, 12:31 AM
It’s all relative!
Very true
I guess his priority is not tv..... Some people really don't care...
He probably think you're an idiot for spending so much on tv's :D

Dan Lorenze
12-12-2006, 05:48 AM
After looking for a couple of weeks of looking we decided on the Vizio 50" plasma at Costco (online) for $1499.00 I was set on the Panasonic TH-50px60u for $1999.00 but like others have said the sale ended, I should have bought one at that smokin price. I've read many reviews on the Vizios and it looks like all the bugs are out of them and people seem to be real happy with them. It's going in our bedroom so I'm sure it'll be good enough.. For our living room, I'm gonna wait it out until the 1080p's LCD's come down in price, hopefully by that time we'll be able to enjoy some good "true HD 1080" broadcasted television. Blu ray is here but still costly, that should change in the near future... I'm goin cheap for now..

BoatPI
12-12-2006, 06:05 AM
Like others here I have had a Pana 50" Plasma for over a year. It is flawless. I have a high end pro camcorder that I reply through it. The videos arte breathtaking.

Forkin' Crazy
12-12-2006, 06:47 AM
Why have one $150K cat when you could have fifteen Glastrons? :idea:
Don't let Tom Brown see this... :eek: