PDA

View Full Version : Any tool guys/mechanics in the house... I need Xmas help...

YeLLowBoaT
12-10-2006, 06:42 PM
My younger brother is going to school right now to become a mechanic, he is starting to buy his own tools. I am thinking about getting him a decent torque wrench. Any one have a good req for one that won't break the bank?
There are tons of brands out there that are all priced about the same ( under $300) I want to buy him something that will last a long time, be easliy recalibrated and accurate.

IMPATIENT 1
12-10-2006, 06:45 PM
i've got the 1/2 snap on digital read out wrench and love it. i'm a gm tech and use it all the time, still accurate after 8yrs of abuse. i think i seen it on the snap on truck for @280-300. if he's just beginning, the craftsman 65 buck special is ok till ya drop it, but good for beginners.

YeLLowBoaT
12-10-2006, 06:54 PM
um I just looked all they carry now for electronic torque wrenchs now are over $1300 :frown:
They do have tons of click type that are 200-300. I'm guessing that something like a 50-150 would be most useful? or would it be better to get him one thats like 20-80?

IMPATIENT 1
12-10-2006, 07:00 PM
get one that goes from 40ftlbs to 200ft lbs or somewhere in that area. i still use a craftsman click type at home, still works great(was the 100 buck 1). it'll cover doin heads and most torque needs. the smaller torque wrenches are for transmission work or where you need to torque down plastic type gaskets without stipping treads in alum., hell get him both for @180, he'll need em eventually.

wsuwrhr
12-10-2006, 07:06 PM
Don't be a cheap ass. Get someone to go in with you and buy the good stuff.
Cheap tools are just that. Cheap.
Brian
My younger brother is going to school right now to become a mechanic, he is starting to buy his own tools. I am thinking about getting him a decent torque wrench. Any one have a good req for one that won't break the bank?
There are tons of brands out there that are all priced about the same ( under $300) I want to buy him something that will last a long time, be easliy recalibrated and accurate.

beerjet
12-10-2006, 07:36 PM
Don't be a cheap ass. Get someone to go in with you and buy the good stuff.
Cheap tools are just that. Cheap.
Brian
Actually I think the saying goes " Cheap shit aint good and good shit aint cheap."

Infomaniac
12-10-2006, 08:27 PM
Mac Tools Chip Foose limited edition sets are still available. $700.00
Good assortment of stuff.
I got Info Jr. one for Christmas

Kachina26
12-10-2006, 09:02 PM
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/tools.asp?tool=all&Group_ID=953&store=snapon-store

Kindsvater Flat
12-10-2006, 09:08 PM
Mac Tools Chip Foose limited edition sets are still available. $700.00
Good assortment of stuff.
I got Info Jr. one for Christmas
Not a bad deal.
Tool Set (https://www.mactools.com/portal/site/mactools/menuitem.6c9db894a3743751f735c110f070c3a0/?vgnextoid=5928016e350fe010VgnVCM100000426fa8c0RCR D&vgnextfmt=default)

Kachina26
12-10-2006, 09:12 PM
Not a bad deal.
Tool Set (https://www.mactools.com/portal/site/mactools/menuitem.6c9db894a3743751f735c110f070c3a0/?vgnextoid=5928016e350fe010VgnVCM100000426fa8c0RCR D&vgnextfmt=default)
• 3 year warranty
Not so good IMHO, when you use 'em every day, they do break.

YeLLowBoaT
12-11-2006, 08:59 AM
3 year warrenty.... I would much rather have craftsmen with a life time... there is a old saying " if your not breaking tools, your not working hard"

Sleek-Jet
12-11-2006, 09:04 AM
• 3 year warranty
Not so good IMHO, when you use 'em every day, they do break.
No... the box has a 3 year warranty... Mac, as far as I know, still has lifetime on their tools... and no BS interigation like Craftsman when you need an exchange... you just have got to find a truck...

YeLLowBoaT
12-11-2006, 09:11 AM
you get intergated when you go to sears??? I've gone in with sockets that were cracked with heat discolouration and hammer marks on them, never had a prob. hell I just took back a 3/4" rachet I found( underneath a house) that was rusted solid, I walked out with a new one.

Sleek-Jet
12-11-2006, 09:16 AM
you get intergated when you go to sears??? I've gone in with sockets that were cracked with heat discolouration and hammer marks on them, never had a prob. hell I just took back a 3/4" rachet I found( underneath a house) that was rusted solid, I walked out with a new one.
I use one of their ratchets to brake the lug nuts loose on the Blazer after I've had tire work done at a tire shop... slide the handle from the floor jack over it and use it as a cheater. They tend to last about 3 or 4 tire rotations... give or take, then the guts break.
I always get the third degree when I take it in to get exchanged. :hammerhea
If I had any chrome handled Snap-On stuff I'd use that, but all of my good ratchets have urethane handles and the cheater won't fit over them. I've actually never had Snap-On replace a ratchet though, if they get all fooked up, the tool guy just repairs it right there on the truck...

Schiada76
12-11-2006, 09:25 AM
No... the box has a 3 year warranty... Mac, as far as I know, still has lifetime on their tools... and no BS interigation like Craftsman when you need an exchange... you just have got to find a truck...
You don't need a truck just call them and they ship direct.

Cheap Thrills
12-11-2006, 09:31 AM
I have a Matco TRC 250 , been using it for 10+ years. $268.45
http://www.matcotools.com/Catalog/toolcatalog.jsp?cattype=T&cat=2108&page=4&#40173
T.

Kachina26
12-11-2006, 09:32 AM
The website doesn't specify that the warranty is on the box only, I remember the Mac Black Hawk line that carried a limited warranty.
As far as Craftsman warranty goes, the package says "if you are dissatisfied with this craftsman tool for ANY reason......................." I knew a guy that went to yard sales, picked up old, rusty craftsman tools for pennies on the dollar and exchanged them for brand new ones due to wear. But, as far as tools for work, I didn't care for the craftsman stuff.

BIGJOEDUCKSLAYER
12-11-2006, 09:36 AM
Watch out for tool sets from mac, they are off-brand sold by mac,I bought my son jessie james set and it had off-brand tools
BIG JOE
PS BUY SNAP-ON 3/8 DRIVE CLICK TORQUE WRENCH

Sleek-Jet
12-11-2006, 09:52 AM
The website doesn't specify that the warranty is on the box only, I remember the Mac Black Hawk line that carried a limited warranty.
As far as Craftsman warranty goes, the package says "if you are dissatisfied with this craftsman tool for ANY reason......................." I knew a guy that went to yard sales, picked up old, rusty craftsman tools for pennies on the dollar and exchanged them for brand new ones due to wear. But, as far as tools for work, I didn't care for the craftsman stuff.
Must be the guys at my Sears store then...
It's almost like they take it personal.. :argue:
Wasn't Mac bought by Stanley a few years ago?? If so, that's where the Blackhawk stuff comes from, it's a Stanley brand also.

Kachina26
12-11-2006, 10:01 AM
Wasn't Mac bought by Stanley a few years ago?? If so, that's where the Blackhawk stuff comes from, it's a Stanley brand also.
Yes, they were. Never cared for the mac wrenches, the sides are squared off and hurt my hands.

SnoopJonnyJon
12-11-2006, 10:19 AM
I've noticed that the Mac special edition stuff only has a 3 year warranty. I was considering the S&S Engines toolbox for my dad for christmas but was turned off by the short warranty. My dad and I have quite a mix match of tools, and have never had much trouble with anything Mac or Snap-on. We've had really good luck with S-K tools as well. Never used any of their current stuff, but their stuff from 50 years ago was good.

Sleek-Jet
12-11-2006, 10:23 AM
Yes, they were. Never cared for the mac wrenches, the sides are squared off and hurt my hands.
They have the best angle offset stuff though... ask me how much a 1" angle offset wrench costs... :supp:
I've got a set of Proto 12 point combination wrenches that you won't get until you pry them from my cold dead hands... :D