PDA

View Full Version : iPod purchase - is there a way to save money?

BreastManWins
12-11-2006, 12:50 AM
I'm finally taking the plunge and buying an iPod. I figure I'll get the newest 80 Gb unit. It's on Apple.com for $349 - can I get the real thing with factory warranty cheaper somewhere else?
Any buying tips?

djunkie
12-11-2006, 03:04 AM
Wow your getting an IPOD? Whats next, a Rhino?

dumbandyoung
12-11-2006, 03:35 AM
same price everywhere

Trailer Park Casanova
12-11-2006, 04:18 AM
We bought them at the Apple strore.
Saw a big display of them at COSTCO,, not sure if the price was a break, but they may have offered more options.
Also, the teriffic COSTCO return policy.

mikec500s
12-11-2006, 04:29 AM
try www.tigerdirect.com

Trailer Park Casanova
12-11-2006, 04:53 AM
Wife has a really cool tiny little gadget on her iPOD that transmits the sounds to our cars and trucks radios.
About the size of your thumbnail.
The way to go if you want to run it in your rides.

Longtime Lurker
12-11-2006, 06:04 AM
If you know a college student, they can get a discount---I think it's 10 or 20%. Same thing with teachers and Federal employees. Otherwise they are basically the same price everywhere you look (costco is about $10 cheaper).

HavasuSelect
12-11-2006, 06:30 AM
EBAY! My friend got a brand new 60 gig IPod for the same price I got my 30 gig.

deltaAce
12-11-2006, 06:38 AM
Don't forget your accessories....................................... ...........................
http://www.***boat.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19019&stc=1

Hallett19
12-11-2006, 06:43 AM
The new Microsoft Zune looks like a better piece of gear, IMO

voodoomedman
12-11-2006, 06:58 AM
If you know a college student, they can get a discount---I think it's 10 or 20%. Same thing with teachers and Federal employees. Otherwise they are basically the same price everywhere you look (costco is about $10 cheaper).
That's from buying it online with the education discount. You can actually go on there and do it and just say your a college student at xzy school. They don't seem to check. The problem is though that when something happens then apples customer service sucks. They do everything in there power to blame it on you. My screen cracked on my first one after only a couple of months and they said that it was because I dropped it. It was never dropped. Your talking to minimum wage earners on the phone that have no technical abilities that state that lcd's just don't go bad on there own. I guess they've never opened up any brand new electronic equipment and plugged it in to have it not work. Anyways the second one I bought from Circuit City at full price. The warranty work is still sent directly to apple (even if you buy the extended) but at least you can go talk to someone in the store and get results.

BreastManWins
12-11-2006, 08:51 AM
Thanks for all your responses. I like the suggestion about Costco - I think I'll do that since they have the world's best return policy.
As for the Zune, I looked at it and here's some info I found online:
The good: The Microsoft Zune has very good playback performance of audio, video, and photos; intuitive and colorful interface; good FM radio with RDS; works well with Zune Marketplace software; integrated wireless allows sharing of songs (limited) and photos; many accessories available at launch.
The bad: The Microsoft Zune is not backward compatible with WMA-DRM9; weak native video support (cannot play protected content) and no video offerings from Zune Marketplace; cannot be used as a hard drive (and no UMS support); proprietary USB; cannot use Wi-Fi to sync, stream, or purchase content; minimal bundled accessories; no podcast directory; maximum capacity is 30GB.
The bottom line: The Microsoft Zune with its intuitive interface and solid playback performance will please most users. But lukewarm format support and the cool but limited Wi-Fi capability will have advanced users seeking more. The Zune is a very good start, though.
source: http://www.mp3.com/microsoft-zune/hardware/167/summary.html

Caribbean Jet
12-11-2006, 09:43 AM
Buy it at Costco,

HocusPocus
12-11-2006, 10:09 AM
Saw a big display of them at COSTCO,, not sure if the price was a break, but they may have offered more options.
Also, the teriffic COSTCO return policy.
i agree and im sure COSTCO isn't always your first choice for electronics but if anything ever happens to it, they will replace or refund your money.

Seadog
12-11-2006, 12:50 PM
As far as the Zuneis concerned, the only good thing about it is that it is not an ipod. The reviews are out and it sucks.
As for the ipod, if you can find it, the Apple store will often give great buys on refurbished units. The prices are great and I have always had no problems with the unit. I got the previous model shuffle for 25%, plus a free remote charging port. I got my wife an ibook for $300 off and it had 20GB more on the hard drive. Sometimes you have to be patient. The new stuff does not show up right away and in small supplies.

catman-do
12-11-2006, 02:06 PM
We just bought one at Overstock.com. It was refurbished but still has a warranty and works great. I saved 35 dollars and it was at the house 2 days after the initial order

BreastManWins
12-12-2006, 01:17 AM
How about headphones? Anyone buy/use the Bose QuietComfort units? They're quite spendy making them more costly than the iPod!
Their QuietComfort 3 headphones are $349!
http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_PRODUCT_PAGE_EVENT&product=qc3_headphones_index

ROZ
12-12-2006, 01:22 AM
Forget that.. Go to your closest University of California Bookstore.. Same price... Had an issue with mine within the first 30 days and they swapped it

HBjet
12-12-2006, 01:53 AM
www.macmall.com
Best prices anywhere for ipods.
HBjet

shueman
12-12-2006, 05:35 AM
Apple Store and get buy the extended service plan.
Had one fall in the water....replaced, with a refurbished unit, no problem.

catman-do
12-12-2006, 08:45 AM
Those Bose headphones are nice. I use them in my trailer when we are in Glamis. Once everyone is asleep i either watch movies with them on or play video games so everyone else isnt kept awake. Originally i thought i would try sleeping with them on so i dont hear the morons that decide to ride at 530AM in circles around camp, but they arent to comfortable when your laying on them!

BreastManWins
12-12-2006, 09:04 AM
www.macmall.com
Best prices anywhere for ipods.
HBjet
Thanks for the tip. By the way, their price is about $2.00 less than Costco.

Windy
12-12-2006, 09:09 AM
Best Buy is where we got ours.

Ziggy
12-12-2006, 09:13 AM
Best Buy is where we got ours.Just bought one yesterday at Best Buy too.