PDA

View Full Version : Anyone See That Show On CNN, Battlefield Hospital

Hallett19
12-11-2006, 06:57 AM
Oh man, what a brutal show!! ER Iraq, Doctors brought one guy in who needed his leg amputated and he straight told him, "hey dude, we are going to have to take your left leg". U.S. Soldier said, "yeah, thats fine" :(
Another guy they were able to save his right hand, he kept saying, "just keep me alive doc", doc was able to but he died a week later of cardiac arrest while having surgery to keep his arm/hand back in D.C...... so f-ed up!!

Trailer Park Casanova
12-11-2006, 07:09 AM
Wife watched it.
Sad gig.
A real eye opener to the thousands of americans coming home in pretty bad shape or body bags.

Tom Brown
12-11-2006, 07:42 AM
Wouldn't it be interesting if there were a referendum on the war. :idea:
It would basically be a stay or go type of thing but with the twist that anyone voting stay gets put on a organ donation list that combat soldiers and veterans can use to pull organs, limbs, etc. from anyone on the list that matches them but for the purposes of combat related injuries only. No exceptions to the list at any level of government or power. This should apply to all wars in the future too.
If you think it's worth it when you're facing the possibility of eating your breakfast cereal with a magnetic spoon attached to a hook at the end of your arm, you're definitely pro war.
It's easier to feel it's worth it when it's someone you don't know paying the price.
The hawkish war mongering types should have no problem with this because who knows better than them that freedom isn't free? :)

vmjtc3
12-11-2006, 08:07 AM
With a son in the army it is a very hard show to watch. This show and a few other's like it give us a tiny little insite as to what goes on. :(

Jbb
12-11-2006, 08:15 AM
It would basically be a stay or go type of thing but with the twist that anyone voting stay gets put on a organ donation list that combat soldiers and veterans can use to pull organs, limbs, etc. from anyone on the list that matches them but for the purposes of combat related injuries only. No exceptions to the list at any level of government or power. This should apply to all wars in the future too.
If you think it's worth it when you're facing the possibility of eating your breakfast cereal with a magnetic spoon attached to a hook at the end of your arm, you're definitely pro war.
It's easier to feel it's worth it when it's someone you don't know paying the price.
The hawkish war mongering types should have no problem with this because who knows better than them that freedom isn't free? :)
Not enough bran lately....Brown....?

Froggystyle
12-11-2006, 11:58 AM
I see your point, but couldn't agree with you less.
People who join the military know that this choice includes the magnetic spoon/hook possibility. You also hope it doesn't happen to you.
I also wouldn't classify anyone who joins the military as "pro-war" though you can say by virtue of signing on the line that they would be.
With an all volunteer military, we already have that list. I have a young man working for me right now that has joined the Navy and leaves for boot camp then SEAL training in February. I know of many, many people that are joining the military today knowing that they are going to be going to war. I joined the military in early 1994 in the wake of the Gulf war, but I actually went to the recruiter the day that war broke out in 1991 or whenever. The situation wasn't right for me to go yet, and I figured I would go to college and enter as an officer. That didn't work out so well either so I just joined in '94
My parents took a different view of course, but they weren't signing up, I was.
Until they start drafting folks, I wouldn't worry too much about war-mongers running the whole thing. The ISG report shows what happens when you try to take a oblique view of the conflict. Very little in the report is applicable, and none hasn't been discussed. All is pretty much out of date already.
The world and that conflict changes daily. You need to react and plan daily. Your general plan has to be sound, and you need to follow it in order to have a clear view of your path. A purely reactionary approach will get you steamrolled.
There are no WMD's there because Colin Powell showed the UN where they all were. There are so many insurgents because we disbanded their armed forces. Both were huge mistakes played for political reasons.
And now the Democrats control Congress. Rig fenders and prepare for boarding... here is where stuff is going to start to suck.

Froggystyle
12-11-2006, 12:16 PM
On the flip side of that... I have never met a US servicemember... certainly not a team guy who would take someones arm, especially a supporter, just to be able to eat with a spoon again. The base drive to be a soldier is a basically selfless one. I would never make anyone pay for my decision to be a soldier.
How about it vets? Would any of you let some guy lay in hospital next to you, President included and pat you on the shoulder and say enjoy the leg?
I will find a way around the infirmity before I took someone elses. I wouldn't even take it from the enemy..

vmjtc3
12-11-2006, 12:45 PM
To understand the mindset of a us soldier take a look at what they all say as they are wheeled in to the er. I want to go back to my unit. They dont want there brothers out there on there own, and they dont want to let them down. I dont know of any soldier who would take an arm or a leg from anyone. They would put there magnetic gun on and head back to the front given a chance. But I do agree some what with what he is saying. And that is, the choice to go to war in a perfect world should be decided only by the ones who will be on the front lines................

Sleek-Jet
12-11-2006, 12:48 PM
Don't ever agree with Brown... it only encourages the "branning"...

Froggystyle
12-11-2006, 01:00 PM
To understand the mindset of a us soldier take a look at what they all say as they are wheeled in to the er. I want to go back to my unit. They dont want there brothers out there on there own, and they dont want to let them down. I dont know of any soldier who would take an arm or a leg from anyone. They would put there magnetic gun on and head back to the front given a chance. But I do agree some what with what he is saying. And that is, the choice to go to war in a perfect world should be decided only by the ones who will be on the front lines................
You don't want anyone I was ever serving with to make any of those decisions.
If we did, there would be a bunch of dead reporters and missing places on maps. ;)
I attribute 100% of our nations difficulties fighting wars to the media. Started going south in Korea, hit rock bottom in Vietnam and during both Gulf Wars we just started digging deeper.
Imbedded reporters would have been imbedded corpses with a SEAL Platoon. "Here dude... hold this and follow us..."
"Damn... little guy probably kept up for three or four miles, then he just gave up..."

spectratoad
12-11-2006, 01:09 PM
As a medically retired sailor I would have to say that I personally would not take any body part from another soldier that gave their all so that I could have an easier life. I knew there would be a chance to be in a war going in and that was fine. I didn't sign up for college either I joined because I think it is just somethings I should do as a young American male.
PS. The media should never have such open access to the battlefield. If they are out there then it should be on their own without the aid of the military. If they get killed, too bad. I have nothing but contempt for these piss a$$ excuse for journalists. Let's see the perky Katie Couric get out there and give us some real stories and earn her stripes.

vmjtc3
12-11-2006, 01:11 PM
You don't want anyone I was ever serving with to make any of those decisions.
If we did, there would be a bunch of dead reporters and missing places on maps. ;)
I attribute 100% of our nations difficulties fighting wars to the media. Started going south in Korea, hit rock bottom in Vietnam and during both Gulf Wars we just started digging deeper.
Imbedded reporters would have been imbedded corpses with a SEAL Platoon. "Here dude... hold this and follow us..."
"Damn... little guy probably kept up for three or four miles, then he just gave up..."
Good point.

SmokinLowriderSS
12-11-2006, 03:59 PM
On the flip side of that... I have never met a US servicemember... certainly not a team guy who would take someones arm, especially a supporter, just to be able to eat with a spoon again. The base drive to be a soldier is a basically selfless one. I would never make anyone pay for my decision to be a soldier.
How about it vets? Would any of you let some guy lay in hospital next to you, President included and pat you on the shoulder and say enjoy the leg?
I will find a way around the infirmity before I took someone elses. I wouldn't even take it from the enemy..
Same here Froggy. I've taken my chances, and will again if need be (haven't retired just yet). If for some reason, my luck were to run out and it would cost me an apendage or 2, so be it. I'll manage to work arround it with a fake piece before I'd ever take one from someone else who was still using it.:supp: