PDA

View Full Version : Scotch Help

UnionJack
12-11-2006, 04:19 PM
I want to get my Mom a good bottle of Scotch, for Christmas... Is Johnny Walker Blue worth it, or is there others out there?

OnlyMoney
12-11-2006, 04:20 PM
Just call Chris.... :rolleyes:

Bense468
12-11-2006, 04:24 PM
I want to get my Mom a good bottle of Scotch, for Christmas... Is Johnny Walker Blue worth it, or is there others out there?
We drank a bottle at my buddies and didn't notice anything special about it...he wasn't happy about it so something was special about it. :hammerhea

Waldo
12-11-2006, 04:25 PM
Real whiskey = Makers

Ziggy
12-11-2006, 04:27 PM
The real Scotch expert is Miller19j but he's been awol for quite some time..........

Kilrtoy
12-11-2006, 04:28 PM
Its mom COME ON TAYLOR
http://www.laphroaig.com/shop/show_item.asp?shop_category_id=1&shop_item_id=66&expanded=the_shop.whisky

UnionJack
12-11-2006, 04:29 PM
If there's better I want better,

DILLIGAF
12-11-2006, 04:31 PM
I have them all and I rate them as follows:
Red
Black
Green
Blue
Gold (Lot cheaper than the blue)
Personally I would get her the Gold

UnionJack
12-11-2006, 04:33 PM
what makes it better

DILLIGAF
12-11-2006, 04:35 PM
what makes it better
The Gold is very smooth. The Blue is OK but I think the Gold is smoother and better. Just a preference of taste. The Green is more expensive than te Gold also but I really dislike it. It seems like it is well.....green and not ready.
If you got her the Blue she would appreciate it though because of the price.
Best bang for the $ with the JW's is the Gold by far.....

UnionJack
12-11-2006, 04:37 PM
Thanks fo the info

bocco
12-12-2006, 05:29 PM
I nomally drink Johnny Walker Red or Black but found their high end stuff over priced and not that great. The 18 year old Chivas Regal knocked my socks off though. Might want to start with whether Mom prefers blended or single malt.

voodoomedman
12-12-2006, 06:12 PM
I'll throw a third for Makers. It's all about the Tennessee Whiskey's and the Bourbon Whiskey's.
The following comments are just for Tom.
F Scotch
and
F Mohave
:D

Old Guy
12-12-2006, 06:33 PM
Glenlivet is a very good smooth single malt Scotch. It goes for $30+ a bottle here in Michigan

riverroyal
12-12-2006, 06:51 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2371ron_burgandy.jpg

gray909
12-12-2006, 08:20 PM
a lot of money for an ok bottle, Buchanans is great and probably less money. Not that the money matters - its mom

moneypit
12-12-2006, 08:30 PM
I bought a bottle of Blue for my friends who come over and drink scotch. They didnt think it was any better then the $30 dollar bottles. They were happy that I sprung for it so they could try it.

BajaMike
12-12-2006, 09:10 PM
I'll throw a third for Makers. It's all about the Tennessee Whiskey's and the Bourbon Whiskey's.
:D
Many people don't realize there are lots of whiskeys, basicly identified by the country of origin.
Scotch (obviously from Scottland)..... many experts say that because this is the only big export of the country of Scottland, they will not export a bad "Scotch"....so buy the cheapest one you see. Lots of people like the single malt scotches, and they can be very expensive.
Irish Whiskey....good in your Irish coffee or at your favorite Irish pub.
Bourbon Whiskey......aka....American Whiskey....like Jack Daniels and Makers Mark.....popular here in America (I wonder why:confused: ):DNot my favorite.
Canadian Whiskey...usually a blended whiskey....known for "smoothness"....Crown Royal (distilled for the royal family) is my favorite....I like it so much I had to give it up.....On the rocks or with a splash of soda....SO GOOD!! I shudder when I hear guys order "Crown and Coke".....like why ruin such a perfect whiskey????
:shift:

Hallett19
12-12-2006, 09:21 PM
McCallan for the win

voodoomedman
12-12-2006, 09:29 PM
Many people don't realize there are lots of whiskeys, basicly identified by the country of origin.
Bourbon Whiskey......aka....American Whiskey....like Jack Daniels and Makers Mark.....popular here in America (I wonder why:confused: ):DNot my favorite.
:shift:
Jack Daniel Whiskey is Tennessee Whiskey. It is Charcoal Mellowed. Maybe I need to try a single malt scotch. I'm not into blends. The only blending they should be doing is pouring all the barrels from the same batch together to get uniformity.

Jyruiz
12-12-2006, 09:42 PM
Another vote for Makers Mark. Ask Throttle about Makers, I gave him a bottle for his birthday.

voodoomedman
12-12-2006, 09:46 PM
Another vote for Makers Mark. Ask Throttle about Makers, I gave him a bottle for his birthday.
How come I didn't get one for mine? That's good stuff!!!

Jyruiz
12-12-2006, 09:49 PM
How come I didn't get one for mine? That's good stuff!!!
I wasn't invited to your birthday party.

voodoomedman
12-12-2006, 09:50 PM
I wasn't invited to your birthday party.
That's okay neither was I.
Maker's is good when your drinking straight

Jyruiz
12-12-2006, 09:51 PM
That's okay neither was I.
Maker's is good when your drinking straight
I like it on the rocks.

voodoomedman
12-12-2006, 09:55 PM
I like it on the rocks.
Yes. I guess I meant not mixed with Coke or something. You don't do that with the good stuff. I mix regular Jack with Coke. Single Barrel, Gentleman Jack, Makers or whatever go on the rocks.

hot_diggity_dog
12-13-2006, 05:05 AM
Just get a good 12 year old+ single malt.
GlenLivet
Glenfiddich
Dewars
There's a few others I forgot.
Or one of the classics
Chivas
Johhny Walker Black
HDD

Sleek-Jet
12-13-2006, 06:58 AM
Philistines... you guys probably drink Coors Light and think it's beer...
Talking about Burbon when he asked about Scotch... :D
Just about any 12 y/o single malt is going to be good. I like Highland Park, and it's about a quarter the cost of JW Blue.
For blended whiskey, my vote goes for Famous Grouse... if you can find a bottle of Gold Reserve (the 12 year stuff) it is superb, and not pricey.
JW Green is what is considered a Malt Scotch... a blend of single malts, with no grain whiskey added. It's interesting, and hasn't always been available here in the US. The Grouse also has a similiar whiskey.
And always remember that Scotch is like a woman... the older it gets the better it is... and the more it costs... :D