PDA

View Full Version : Silverado Classic - Choice of mufflers between...

Jetaholic
12-11-2006, 10:58 PM
...Magnaflow and Flowmaster?

FryJet
12-11-2006, 11:09 PM
...Magnaflow and Flowmaster?
Go with a single 3" 3 chamber Flowee. I to this day still end up going back to Flow Master after trying the new BEST mufller out. I just dont think you can beat the sound of a chambered muffler compared to a straight threw (glorified glasspack) muffler. I just put a 20" Bullet on my V10 and i'm not happy with the sound so i'm going to go with a 2 chamber Flow Master and call it good.
F.J.

Jetaholic
12-11-2006, 11:44 PM
Go with a single 3" 3 chamber Flowee. I to this day still end up going back to Flow Master after trying the new BEST mufller out. I just dont think you can beat the sound of a chambered muffler compared to a straight threw (glorified glasspack) muffler. I just put a 20" Bullet on my V10 and i'm not happy with the sound so i'm going to go with a 2 chamber Flow Master and call it good.
F.J.
Now out of curiosity, why the 3 chamber? I had a Magnaflow installed on my truck, and it has a low rumble to it, but not that open, deep and throaty sound that I've heard with Flowmasters. Also the Mag is too quiet for me at idle.
Basically, I'm wanting the throaty sound, but without loosing too much backpressure too keep all the computerized shit working properly.

Beer-30
12-11-2006, 11:54 PM
On a 4.8, I don't see any possible way you could tell a performance difference between the two; so:
If you like it on the quiet side: MagnaFlow
If you like the throaty, louder side: FlowMaster
I put FM on all my stuff, including the wife's.
I put MF on the parents vehicles. They like the softer tone.

goneboatin
12-12-2006, 10:54 PM
Ante up the bucks and go for the Corsa. You'll only hear it when you get on it, it's silent at cruise.
www.corsaperf.com
Get your model number on their site and check eBay, you should be able to get it for about half of retail.
It'll be the last muffler you get on this truck and the first thing you replace on your next truck.

2forcefull
12-13-2006, 05:43 AM
On a 4.8, I don't see any possible way you could tell a performance difference between the two; so:
If you like it on the quiet side: MagnaFlow
If you like the throaty, louder side: FlowMaster
I put FM on all my stuff, including the wife's.
I put MF on the parents vehicles. They like the softer tone.
Thats right on the money there, I own a muffler shop in vegas

2forcefull
12-13-2006, 05:47 AM
Ante up the bucks and go for the Corsa. You'll only hear it when you get on it, it's silent at cruise.
www.corsaperf.com
Get your model number on their site and check eBay, you should be able to get it for about half of retail.
It'll be the last muffler you get on this truck and the first thing you replace on your next truck.
hey, if you just want to throw a lot of money in your truck, throw it in the glove box, at least you can have a chance of getting some back.
we sell flowmaster and magniflow for $110. installed!!!

Ultrafied
12-13-2006, 06:07 AM
hey, if you just want to throw a lot of money in your truck, throw it in the glove box, at least you can have a chance of getting some back.
we sell flowmaster and magniflow for $110. installed!!!
You get what you pay for. For the best, Corsa, second best, get Borla. All the rest are just noise makers. :D

Jetaholic
12-13-2006, 06:52 AM
www.corsaperf.com
OK, first off, this is the same problem I have with the Magnaflow. WAY too quiet at idle...matter of fact the ONLY time I really hear it is when I get on it (moreso when I'm towing of course) and it's a low, deep rumble with a lot of in cab 'resonance', which can get annoying at times. I still want some of the depth, but with more of an open and throaty sound reminiscent of a Flowmaster.
You get what you pay for. For the best, Corsa, second best, get Borla. All the rest are just noise makers. :D
Not to insult your post or question your intelligence (believe me, I'm not very edjucated on the subject of mufflers, I just am familiar with what certain ones sound like), when I think Borla for some reason 'rice rockets' or 'rice burners' are what come to mind. Wouldn't want my truck to sound like that, but then again my truck definitely doesn't have a 4-banger so I don't think it would either.

Arkansas
12-13-2006, 07:47 AM
I have flowmaster on my 01 Yukon 4.8L and have been very pleased.

goneboatin
12-13-2006, 03:33 PM
Hey, it's all personal preference. I've been burned by both Magnaflows and Flowmasters - They both sound great for the first 20 minutes then the droning gets to you. Then when you're trying to carry on a conversation you always have to turn down the radio. Then, if you do any towing, that's all you hear on every grade. You won't have these problems with a Corsa - guaranteed! No other muffler company will say that. If you run without cats it will get loud, but on a California smog legal truck you won't have any problems.
When I got the Corsa I was pleasantly suprised. I can hear it a idle and as the truck goes through the gears, you know it's there, but it's not obtrusive, when you get on it you really hear it. If you have no load on the engine you don't even know it's there, even as you slow down, it's still quiet. It's really an amazing muffler.

Cole Trickle
12-13-2006, 03:45 PM
You will make more power with the Magnaflow
You will make more noise with the Flowmaster
I would get a full bolton catback exhaust if you want to feel a noticable difference.
Magnaflow regularly dynoes 5-15HP more to the wheels vs. Flowmaster systems.(Not to mention it's polished stainless)

Zaairman
12-13-2006, 03:51 PM
How about.. NONE. But if you really want a muffler, then Flowmaster 40 Series.

FryJet
12-13-2006, 04:49 PM
Well to tell the truth I have never seen a change in performance with just a muffler change. Now with a full system then yes you would see the performance but I dont think a muffler does a darn thing except give you the psycological horse power................it sounds faster so it must be, lol. Im just saying Flow Master souly on the sound, not performance. The reason I like 3 chambers is that it has a nice deep tone and wont drive you crazy on the freeway. Now if you have front fiberglass fenders that are still white and you lifted the front and made it 4 feet wider but left the rear stock height with pooched fenders then go with th 2 chamber or better yet hack the exhaust off right behind the converter with a sawzall and you set. Make sure to put your hat on crooked......lol. :shift:
F.J.

squirt'nmyload
12-13-2006, 05:03 PM
flowmasters belong on mustangs!!! :shift:

707dog
12-13-2006, 05:05 PM
iv had flows on all most all of my trucks, cars new and old they always do it for me,but it all depends on what sound you wanna go for.i agree you dont feel a diffrence until out do the catback system and get that air flowin...to hell with them all..go "OL SKOOL" and get you some CHERRY BOMBS and cut the cats off..now thats da chit.the flows i got on my denali arnt like the rest they are black and are supposed to have some kinda resin on one side to keep some of the cabin noise out seem to do the job its not to bad inside(50series) or some chit like that..