PDA

View Full Version : Digital cameras

buzzaro
12-12-2006, 08:56 AM
Looking at getting one but really dont know much about them other than more megapixels=better. What things should I be looking for/at? Also what's the price point where more money doesnt really get much more camera?

HM
12-12-2006, 09:03 AM
Me too, except I am looking at video cameras. I have no clue. I bought a displat model from BestBuy last time, and bought an extended waranty for the first time in my life. Turned out to be a good thing as we have sent that camera in several times under waranty. It is about out of waranty and we know the display is going to take a shit real soon, so I need to replace.

Trailer Park Casanova
12-12-2006, 09:10 AM
Just bought the wife the Panasonic at COSTCO.
Has everything, on sale price 10% of the already good price: about 3 bones.
Low lite, super hyperfast shutter, mega image stablize, digital and optical superzooms,, all kinds of card space, movie mode, looks awesome,,ect ect,,,,
Ya want an eye viewfinder, that is, don't rely on the screen only to aim kinda camera.
Her Olympus had no eye viewfinder and that way sux.
Daughters camera was no eye viewer too and it sux to use, and the results are not as good.

OGShocker
12-12-2006, 09:58 AM
We bought a 5 mega pixel Pentax from Costco. I like it because it is waterPROOF to 6 meters. Downside is it has NO veiw finder.
Good luck,
Mark

phebus
12-12-2006, 10:01 AM
A digital camera is only good if you have it when you need it, so I recccomend going with a small compact camera, so carrying it isn't a chore, and you have it when you need it.

NastyOne
12-12-2006, 10:10 AM
Looking at getting one but really dont know much about them other than more megapixels=better. What things should I be looking for/at? Also what's the price point where more money doesnt really get much more camera?
more mega pixels=better is the wrong thing to think.
more mega pixels=bigger images. In other words you can blow up the picture to a bigger size without distorting it. Anything over 6 mega pixels and the human eye can no longer tell the difference.
Are you looking to buy a "point and shoot" (pocket camera)? Or something more professional like a digital SLR? I just picked up the Canon Reble XTi and the pics are amazing. If your looking for a pocket camera I like the Canon Powershot SD630, or the Sony Cyber-Shot.
You really need to clarify what the camera will be used for.....

phebus
12-12-2006, 10:17 AM
I actually just bought a Canon SD600, as it had the optical viewfinder. The SD630, has a bigger LCD, but no optical viewfinder, and where I use my camera the most (bright light), a optical viewfinder was a must.

Havasu Luvr
12-12-2006, 10:18 AM
It all depends on what kind of photography you are planning on taking. A simle "Point & Shoot" will be more then anyone will need for general pics. If you're pursuing alittle more then the average person then I would reccomend a DSLR 8Mega pixels or higher.

mickeyfinn
12-12-2006, 10:24 AM
Read the reviews in whatever you decide to buy. If you are taking pictures of your kids, pets, sports or anything where the opportunity for a good photo may be short lived pay SPECIAL attention to shhtter lag times. Some cameras have .5-.75 secs of lag. Doesn't sound to bad but can make an otherwise good camera worthless.
Just my .02