PDA

View Full Version : GM stereo: LOCKED...help???

al cole'holic
01-24-2006, 04:01 PM
...I took a 6 dick in dash head unit from an '06 GMC truck and put it into an '06 GMC work truck/Skaug body special...well the deck worked when I plugged it in and turned the key on, however after the truck was started it locked itself...any idea how to unlock the unit..??..also half of the volume dropped out, so when you turn the volume to 1/2 it's pretty much off..??.. :confused:

racecar.hotshoe
01-24-2006, 04:03 PM
the code should have been on a sticker on the radio when you got the truck.

Do F150's Float?
01-24-2006, 04:03 PM
...I took a 6 dick in dash head unit...
Hahahaa..... :D :cry: :D
...sorry...couldn't help it...

RAZORSHARP
01-24-2006, 04:04 PM
...I took a 6 dick in dash head unit from an '06 GMC truck and put it into an '06 GMC work truck/Skaug body special...well the deck worked when I plugged it in and turned the key on, however after the truck was started it locked itself...any idea how to unlock the unit..??..also half of the volume dropped out, so when you turn the volume to 1/2 it's pretty much off..??.. :confused:
May or may not work. Sometimes there is a sticker with a code around the dash or console. Have seen them on the bottom of pull out ashtrays.

24sleekenforcer
01-24-2006, 04:13 PM
The vin and options are programed in the radio, need to take to the dealer to program to the truck you put it in.

BajaMike
01-24-2006, 04:20 PM
Quit stealing radios......
:D :D :D
J/K
:rollside:

al cole'holic
01-24-2006, 04:31 PM
Quit stealing radios......
J/K
:rollside:
I've tried, but I can't...I make a good living on eBay. :)

al cole'holic
01-24-2006, 05:28 PM
I think I got the code....do you just punch it in or what?? Sorry, trying to splain it to someone on the road as it's not here.. :)

sigepmock
01-24-2006, 05:38 PM
I think I got the code....do you just punch it in or what?? Sorry, trying to splain it to someone on the road as it's not here.. :)
Best way I've seen to handle it is to get someone with a Tech II to reprogram it with the new vehicle VIN. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.
Check out www.dieselplace.com, in the audio section there's a dude who must be a GM electronics man because he knows those radio's in and out. Even can tell you the wire colors.
Good Luck,
Chris

HOOTER SLED-
01-24-2006, 05:46 PM
Call the dealer. They MAY just give you the code. If not, you can take it there. Takes 2 seconds if you got the code.

al cole'holic
01-24-2006, 06:01 PM
Call the dealer. They MAY just give you the code. If not, you can take it there. Takes 2 seconds if you got the code.
...do you just punch in the code or is there something special you gotta hit too??

HOOTER SLED-
01-24-2006, 06:10 PM
...do you just punch in the code or is there something special you gotta hit too??
If I remember right, you have to do it in sequence with other buttons or something. I believe the instructions are in the manual. But the code is not. So you should be good. Check the manual. It's been a while.

1Shockwaveguy
01-24-2006, 06:28 PM
Open the owners maunal on the truck, it will explain how to do it with the code you have

HOOTER SLED-
01-24-2006, 06:29 PM
Open the owners maunal on the truck, it will explain how to do it with the code you have
Good advice. :D

JAY4SPEED
01-24-2006, 08:27 PM
The radio stores the VIN over the class 2 data line from the previous truck. When the new vin doesn't match the stored VIN it locks up. There isn't a code that you can punch in for the '06 model. GM hasn't used the Theftlock system for a few years years now, last I remember it being used was in '98 if I'm not mistaken, so there are no codes only stored VINs. If the radio has Theftlock on the front of it then it uses the code system. If it does not, then it has to be programmed to accept the new VIN with a Tech 2. The vehicle's audio configuration also has to be set up with programming (bose systems, crew cab, extended cab, etc.) Only way to do it is to go to the dealer and see if they will help. I've done this before for some customers.
From the GM service manual...
"The theft deterrent system is a feature on all base and uplevel radios. There is no need to program a security code into the radio as in past model years. The theft deterrent system now utilizes class 2 serial data to determine if the radio is in the appropriate vehicle. Each time the radio receives the run power mode message, it compares the VIN information it has stored to the VIN information received from a module on the class 2 serial data circuit responsible for transmitting that information. If a mis-match occurs, the radio display will indicate to the user the radio is locked. Once this takes place, a DTC will set, the radio will not respond to any button presses and become inoperative. The 2 scenarios able to cause this condition are:
A radio is installed from another vehicle.
A module which communicates on the class 2 serial data circuit which supplies VIN information to the radio is replaced and not properly setup with the correct VIN information for that vehicle.
The only way to unlock the radio is by using a scan tool. Always refer to the table in this section to diagnose the Theftlock DTC for further information."
Jay

phebus
01-24-2006, 08:56 PM
Can you be a little more specific? :rollside:

JAY4SPEED
01-24-2006, 09:25 PM
Can you be a little more specific? :rollside:
Hey, I may not know a lot of things about boats but when I do know something, I'll speak up when it counts.....lol :)
Jay

phebus
01-25-2006, 07:12 AM
Note to self....Self, contact JAY4SPEED on any Chevy related problems I might have. :rollside:
Luckily, your not a Ford guy, or you'd be too busy for me to get hold of you.

riverbound
01-25-2006, 07:14 AM
The radio stores the VIN over the class 2 data line from the previous truck. When the new vin doesn't match the stored VIN it locks up. There isn't a code that you can punch in for the '06 model. GM hasn't used the Theftlock system for a few years years now, last I remember it being used was in '98 if I'm not mistaken, so there are no codes only stored VINs. If the radio has Theftlock on the front of it then it uses the code system. If it does not, then it has to be programmed to accept the new VIN with a Tech 2. The vehicle's audio configuration also has to be set up with programming (bose systems, crew cab, extended cab, etc.) Only way to do it is to go to the dealer and see if they will help. I've done this before for some customers.
From the GM service manual...
"The theft deterrent system is a feature on all base and uplevel radios. There is no need to program a security code into the radio as in past model years. The theft deterrent system now utilizes class 2 serial data to determine if the radio is in the appropriate vehicle. Each time the radio receives the run power mode message, it compares the VIN information it has stored to the VIN information received from a module on the class 2 serial data circuit responsible for transmitting that information. If a mis-match occurs, the radio display will indicate to the user the radio is locked. Once this takes place, a DTC will set, the radio will not respond to any button presses and become inoperative. The 2 scenarios able to cause this condition are:
A radio is installed from another vehicle.
A module which communicates on the class 2 serial data circuit which supplies VIN information to the radio is replaced and not properly setup with the correct VIN information for that vehicle.
The only way to unlock the radio is by using a scan tool. Always refer to the table in this section to diagnose the Theftlock DTC for further information."
Jay
Take it to the dealer...they will charge you between $50-75 to fix it ;)

Chase
01-25-2006, 07:30 AM
Note to self....Self, contact JAY4SPEED on any Chevy related problems I might have. :rollside:

JetBoatRich
01-25-2006, 07:33 AM
Sounds like you had a simple idea to improve your work truck radio :rolleyes:

JAY4SPEED
01-25-2006, 06:48 PM
You ought to see the ribbing I get for driving a F-150 to work everyday at a chevy dealer. Before that I drove a Ranger to work everyday...lol :p
Hey, if I can help you out just give me a shout. I work at a Chevrolet store but can usually help with any GM product. Electrical / Electronic systems are my speciality in particular. I've got both ASE and GM mastertechs, very shortly will be a GM World Class tech. All those fancy words just mean I don't work for Pepboys...... ;)
Jay

JAY4SPEED
01-25-2006, 06:51 PM
Take it to the dealer...they will charge you between $50-75 to fix it ;)
$25.00 cash and I'd have ya running down the road jamming to the tunes.....Thats the friends and family plan.... :cool:
Jay

riverroyal
01-25-2006, 06:51 PM
tranny will go next week :rollside:

al cole'holic
01-25-2006, 07:02 PM
...well I got the code that was on the radio, but it has a 9 in it..??..I read the manwell and it said something about the radio being married to the VIN...whatevertha****...some things are just not worth going nuts over :yuk:

1Shockwaveguy
01-25-2006, 07:18 PM
...well I got the code that was on the radio, but it has a 9 in it..??..I read the manwell and it said something about the radio being married to the VIN...whatevertha****...some things are just not worth going nuts over :yuk:
The code I am talking about it something you pick. Something you will remember to reset/restart the stereo. If the truck lost power the radio would lock thinking it was stolen and that code restarts it. I had to do it a bunch of times with my old one