PDA

View Full Version : Question for you cops....

NOTALENT
12-14-2006, 09:17 AM
While out riding a motorcycle waiting at a signal sometimes the singal will not notice your there. I have sat through 3 signals before waiting before I got pissed and went when it was clear. What would you do if you saw this happen and the rider explained what was going on?? If you ticketed them what would a judge say if the rider tried to fight it???
I ask because a guy on a motorcycle forum did this however he was rear ended by a woman while doing so. He got ticketed for this and is waiting to see whos fault it was via the police report...Kinda a weird situation.....

NOTALENT
12-14-2006, 09:52 AM
bump

HocusPocus
12-14-2006, 09:57 AM
i got a ticket for doing that 10 years ago. since then i never stopped in the middle of the road at a stoplight, i always stopped to one side and if the light didn't change by the time a car pulled up i just waved the car forward and it would trigger the light.

Huckleberry
12-14-2006, 10:02 AM
Something sounds off a tad. If he pulled forward and ran the red light...How did he get rear ended??? Did the other car also keep going forward faster than the M/C did and also blow the light???
Either was it happened, he is toast for running the red light. Normally it is recommended that when you come across this problem, you should make a right turn on red, go down and then flip a u-turn when it is legal. Then make a right on the original street. I know it's a pain in the arse, but this way it's legal. If this was just a trafic ticket he may have a chance explaining it to the judge. But when it causes an accident...I'd say he's toast.
The only time I can think of it being legal to run a red signal is when an emergency vehicle is approaching from behind rolling Code 3 and there is no other path for the emergency vehicle to take but through stopped traffic. When you see the lights and siren coming up on you and it is clear the emergency vehicle needs you to move out of the way, do so when it is clear to allow them through.

CampbellCarl
12-14-2006, 10:03 AM
I asked a LEO this same question and was told the "book" answer would be for the rider to merge into the through lane (when clear of course), go through the intersection and make another turn decision down the road.
He also said that unless your left turn on a red arrow was UNSAFE, he would ignore it. Having said that though, this would just be another opportunity to pull us over and check exhaust, helmet, etc.
Carl

C-2
12-14-2006, 10:05 AM
A MIRT will solve your problem.
.......OK, OK, kidding

NOTALENT
12-14-2006, 10:09 AM
Something sounds off a tad. If he pulled forward and ran the red light...How did he get rear ended??? Did the other car also keep going forward faster than the M/C did and also blow the light???
Either was it happened, he is toast for running the red light. Normally it is recommended that when you come across this problem, you should make a right turn on red, go down and then flip a u-turn when it is legal. Then make a right on the original street. I know it's a pain in the arse, but this way it's legal. If this was just a trafic ticket he may have a chance explaining it to the judge. But when it causes an accident...I'd say he's toast.
The only time I can think of it being legal to run a red signal is when an emergency vehicle is approaching from behind rolling Code 3 and there is no other path for the emergency vehicle to take but through stopped traffic. When you see the lights and siren coming up on you and it is clear the emergency vehicle needs you to move out of the way, do so when it is clear to allow them through.
I didnt post his whole story....He was making a U turn and she kept going thinking it was green since he was going....she then rear ended him.
If your in the far left lane there is no way possible to make a right turn on red...you would have to cross over a few lanes of traffic......Merging going str8 can be a bummer to if two lanes turn left....there has to be a give somewhere...right?

NOTALENT
12-14-2006, 10:10 AM
I asked a LEO this same question and was told the "book" answer would be for the rider to merge into the through lane (when clear of course), go through the intersection and make another turn decision down the road.
He also said that unless your left turn on a red arrow was UNSAFE, he would ignore it. Having said that though, this would just be another opportunity to pull us over and check exhaust, helmet, etc.
Carl
I guess it depends on how the cop is feeling that day.....Im legal so I have no problem him checkin it all out...Currently saving for a track bike.:)

Huckleberry
12-14-2006, 10:14 AM
I didnt post his whole story....He was making a U turn and she kept going thinking it was green since he was going....she then rear ended him.
If your in the far left lane there is no way possible to make a right turn on red...you would have to cross over a few lanes of traffic......Merging going str8 can be a bummer to if two lanes turn left....there has to be a give somewhere...right?
Common sense usually prevails if you go to court and explain the situation to the judge/commissioner. Keep in mind I said USUALLY! Some courtrooms have no room in them for common sense.

riverbound
12-14-2006, 10:19 AM
I asked this question in traffic school once. and the cop said it would be a red light ticket, unless you could prove that the light was malfunctioning.
You can "trigger" the light by coming up to the stop and then slamming on the brakes wich will cause the sensors to pick up the bike (have to do the same thing at my moms house, the gate in front has a sensor and the bikes arent heavy enough to trigger it)

NOTALENT
12-14-2006, 10:21 AM
I asked this question in traffic school once. and the cop said it would be a red light ticket, unless you could prove that the light was malfunctioning.
You can "trigger" the light by coming up to the stop and then slamming on the brakes wich will cause the sensors to pick up the bike (have to do the same thing at my moms house, the gate in front has a sensor and the bikes arent heavy enough to trigger it)
I will have to try that.....what actually triggers it....is there a certain amount of metal/lead that is the sensor expects or something???

Huckleberry
12-14-2006, 10:21 AM
Most traffic sensors work on a magnetic field, not weight. The case is usually that cycles don't have enough metal close enough to the ground to trip the magnetic field.

AZKC
12-14-2006, 10:30 AM
You can buy the magnetic traffic light trippers at most motorcycle shops. I know I sold them at the Harley store about 3 years ago.
If the lights red, its red:hammerhea you go through it its a ticket, now a flashing red is treated as a 4-way stop, yield and proceed.
This has been a problem on bikes for decades:(

uvindex
12-14-2006, 10:36 AM
I must have run 100 red lights that way when I used to ride in the '80s (always at deserted intersections late at night). Sometimes (when I didn't feel like running yet another red light) I'd put the bike on the kickstand then push the pedestrian "push to cross street" button.

riverbound
12-14-2006, 10:38 AM
I will have to try that.....what actually triggers it....is there a certain amount of metal/lead that is the sensor expects or something???
Weight. Usually if I pull up to a red and a car is coming up behind me I will scoot all the way up so they trigger it.
After reading what litlte you posted of the story, I would venture out to say he WILL get ticketed. If he made a U turn on a red, he should have at least waited till there were no cars coming the other way. sounds like he got impatient and made an unsafe maneuver.

riverbound
12-14-2006, 10:40 AM
Most traffic sensors work on a magnetic field, not weight. The case is usually that cycles don't have enough metal close enough to the ground to trip the magnetic field.
I always thought it was weight.....maybe the front sipping down causes enough metal to get close enough to trip the sensor:confused: I dunno all I know is it has always worked for me.

Kilrtoy
12-14-2006, 10:42 AM
While out riding a motorcycle waiting at a signal sometimes the singal will not notice your there. I have sat through 3 signals before waiting before I got pissed and went when it was clear. What would you do if you saw this happen and the rider explained what was going on?? If you ticketed them what would a judge say if the rider tried to fight it???
I ask because a guy on a motorcycle forum did this however he was rear ended by a woman while doing so. He got ticketed for this and is waiting to see whos fault it was via the police report...Kinda a weird situation.....
Somtething aint right.
but yes you can be cited for 21453(A) VC
the other driver that rear ended him can be cited for 21703VC
but something still aint right here.
and stopping on a bike at an intersection is very dangerous

AZKC
12-14-2006, 10:43 AM
I allways thought it was weight to till I started selling the magnetic dealio's, Bikers swear by them:)

uvindex
12-14-2006, 10:47 AM
I always thought it was weight.....
Huckleberry speaks the truth. :)
From humantransport.org:
"Inductive-loop traffic detector systems operate by sensing disturbances to the electromagnetic field over a coil of wire built into the roadway (Figure 1). When a conductive object (typically made of metal) enters the area over the wire loop, the magnetic field generated by alternating electrical current in the signal detector circuit induces weak electrical currents in the conductive object. (The AC frequency may be between 10,000 and 200,000 Hz, typically around 20,000 - 30,000 Hz.) The electrical currents induced in the object generate their own magnetic field that works in opposition to the magnetic field generated by the sensor coil (due to Lenz's Law). This opposition changes the resonant frequency of the sensor circuit by reducing the effective inductance of the sensor coil. This change in resonant frequency (an increase in frequency as the inductance decreases) is detected by the circuit instrumentation in the signal controller cabinet, which then tells the signal control electronics that a vehicle is present."
http://www.humantransport.org/bicycledriving/library/signals/aloop.gif

Jordy
12-14-2006, 10:48 AM
http://www.signalsorcerer.com/

Ziggy
12-14-2006, 10:53 AM
I allways thought it was weight to till I started selling the magnetic dealio's, Bikers swear by them:)
LOL me too. I must have looked like a complete dork jumping up and down on the seat to trigger the sensors......but for whatever reason it seemed to work a good % of the time :D

Rackman
12-14-2006, 10:58 AM
After waiting through two light changes. I ran one right in front of a CHP last year. He pulled me over, said "that was pretty blatant" (or stupid!). After explaining the situation, he let me slide...
Must have been a good day.

NOTALENT
12-14-2006, 11:15 AM
http://www.signalsorcerer.com/
I have heard of these things...alot of people think they work...I guess $20 bucks is alot cheaper then a ticket. Time for ebay.

NOTALENT
12-14-2006, 11:17 AM
Somtething aint right.
but yes you can be cited for 21453(A) VC
the other driver that rear ended him can be cited for 21703VC
but something still aint right here.
and stopping on a bike at an intersection is very dangerous
Good to know...yup...I hate having to stop....or ride in traffic:cry:

H20 Toie
12-14-2006, 11:46 AM
If the light is malfuctioning then you can go through it if safe to do so.

Froggystyle
12-14-2006, 11:51 AM
I have a light by my house I hit every day I rode the bike. I know it doesn't trigger from the bike... period.
Thing is, aluminum is non-magnetic... period. The Ducati just wouldn't trigger it at all. I always went straight, turned around and turned right.
I bought a signal sorcerer. Same deal. No result. Then I heard the "hot tip" regarding this.
Start your bike. Shut it off, then start it. The magnetic activity of the starter spinning is enough to trigger most of them. Just get near the edge. It worked every time on my bike.

Baja Big Dog
12-14-2006, 04:49 PM
THE LIGHT NOT TRIPPING BECAUSE THE BIKE DOES NOT TRIP THE SENSORS DOES NOT MAKE THE LIGHT "MALFUNCTIONING".
Your ass will get a ticket. There are a couple of light trippers on the market that do work, but not always.
The restarting thing will work.
Turn right and do a louie...............

77charger
12-14-2006, 05:04 PM
You can "trigger" the light by coming up to the stop and then slamming on the brakes wich will cause the sensors to pick up the bike (have to do the same thing at my moms house, the gate in front has a sensor and the bikes arent heavy enough to trigger it)Thats what i have to do most times it works but there are some that wont budge sometimes the kickstand down on the sensor will work too.But if it doesnt go after 1 time i wait til it is clear then go thru

probablecause
12-15-2006, 11:34 AM
There is a red light left turn signal by my house that should not even be there (or should cylce of to the solid green light for yield type turning). I never wait for that P.O.S.