PDA

View Full Version : Overhaulin

Jbb
01-24-2006, 06:02 PM
You West Coast peeps need to watch it tonight.... :)

HOOTER SLED-
01-24-2006, 06:07 PM
Porque??

HOOTER SLED-
01-24-2006, 06:08 PM
My neighbor does the interiors on that show.

Jbb
01-24-2006, 06:10 PM
Just watch it tonight.... :)

SummitKarl
01-24-2006, 06:22 PM
never miss it :)

hoolign
01-24-2006, 06:23 PM
You West Coast peeps need to watch it tonight.... :)
NO! :mad:

coolchange
01-24-2006, 06:24 PM
I'm assumin its the 4 month truck redo one?

SummitKarl
01-24-2006, 06:25 PM
why not
is your favorite episode of HB on tonight? :rollside:

hoolign
01-24-2006, 06:33 PM
why not
is your favorite episode of HB on tonight? :rollside:

Jbb
01-24-2006, 06:35 PM
You will watch it....and enjoy it.... :mad:

SummitKarl
01-24-2006, 06:42 PM
does somebody need a cigarette? :220v:

hoolign
01-24-2006, 06:43 PM
You will watch it....and enjoy it.... :mad:
http://dieselplace.com/forum/images/smilies/drop_mouth.gif

hoolign
01-24-2006, 06:45 PM
does somebody need a cigarette? :220v:
http://dieselplace.com/forum/images/smilies/exactly.gif :mad:

SOCALDETAIL1
01-24-2006, 08:03 PM
Saw the truck at the Roadster show this past weekend. Nice job

wsuwrhr
01-24-2006, 08:51 PM
So besides whos truck they redo, what are we supposed to watch for?
Brian

hoolign
01-24-2006, 08:53 PM
So besides whos truck they redo, what are we supposed to watch for?
Brian
Your not serious??? :rolleyes:

SummitKarl
01-24-2006, 09:08 PM
That was AWSOME!!!!! The truck looks incredible, glad to see Charlie painting again, and best of all the Nice guy finished first tonight :)

roostwear
01-24-2006, 09:09 PM
I've been waiting for this episode. The chromer Chip uses (Artistic Silver Plating in Long Beach) also does mine, and THIS truck pushed the stuff for my roadster to the back burner! It was absolutely no problem, cuz this OH couldn't have happened to a better, and more deserving guy.

BigDoug
01-24-2006, 09:38 PM
I agree with you Mike, Chip is one bad ass car builder. :)

Sleek-Jet
01-25-2006, 06:14 AM
I quit watching Overhaulin after I read about the fiasco that the 442 build from the first season turned into.
Long story short, the dork that hosts the show smoked the motor on the drive to the shop. Then the shows producers wouldn't step up and replace the powerplant. :skull:
Foose does build some nice cars though.

PowellScooter
01-25-2006, 06:40 AM
All right heres a question for you left-coast in the know show biz peeps, why did they get rid of Courtney Hansen and get this lame chick they have this year?

Jbb
01-25-2006, 07:16 AM
Another question...what was the deal between Foose and Boyd...why does Boyd and his crew....except Charlie..consider him the enemy?

Sleek-Jet
01-25-2006, 07:23 AM
Another question...what was the deal between Foose and Boyd...why does Boyd and his crew....except Charlie..consider him the enemy?
Now there is a good story.
From what I've gathered on the internet (it has to be true), Foose started out working for Boyd. They were the best of buddies it seems. When Boyd Coddington Wheels went public, back in the late 90's, the board of directors was not happy with Boyd's managerial and business skills and put Foose in charge of the company. This did not set well with Boyd. Shortly there after, the business went bankrupt. Somehow Boyd managed to get everything back, but Foose was out. My understanding is that Boyd blames Foose for running the company into the ground, even though it was well on it's way by the time Foose was put in charge.
If you go poke around the message boards for the two shows, lots of info has been posted on the fued between these two.

pjones
01-25-2006, 07:57 AM
All right heres a question for you left-coast in the know show biz peeps, why did they get rid of Courtney Hansen and get this lame chick they have this year?
Apparently she "graduated" to host powerblock on the weekends...
guess Danica got a little too busy...
You're right the new girl is a little weak.

BarryMac
01-25-2006, 08:05 AM
I thought that I heard Charlie is working for Foose now, last nights episode made it look like Charlie is running his own shop??? The truck turned out badass, Foose seems like a genuine guy, he was very appreciative of the efforts that everyone put forward building his truck back up...

ChumpChange
01-25-2006, 08:18 AM
Long story short, the dork that hosts the show smoked the motor on the drive to the shop. Then the shows producers wouldn't step up and replace the powerplant. :skull:
Ditto on this remark. Not sure what vehicle it was but one of the cars, I think the Camaro, looked nice but had some major engine/tranny problems which the owner then had to take to get fixed elsewhere, right after the show. I guess it's hard to put quality work in seven days.

BADBLOWN572
01-25-2006, 08:25 AM
Foose seems like a genuine guy, he was very appreciative of the efforts that everyone put forward building his truck back up...
Chip is a very nice guy. He lives up the street from my parents. Every time I have talked to him, he was extremely nice and would be someone that I could see hanging out with. :)
Not to mention, he always has some bad ass car sitting in the driveway. ;)

roostwear
01-25-2006, 08:27 AM
I thought that I heard Charlie is working for Foose now, last nights episode made it look like Charlie is running his own shop??? The truck turned out badass, Foose seems like a genuine guy, he was very appreciative of the efforts that everyone put forward building his truck back up...
Charlie went to work WITH Chip on Impression for the Riddler. Boyd is no stranger to driving businesses in the ground. He sold the wheel biz a couple weeks ago (again), and wait 'till the next fiasco is made public!

Sleek-Jet
01-25-2006, 08:45 AM
Ditto on this remark. Not sure what vehicle it was but one of the cars, I think the Camaro, looked nice but had some major engine/tranny problems which the owner then had to take to get fixed elsewhere, right after the show. I guess it's hard to put quality work in seven days.
I remember a couple of the cars having problems.
The owners are required to sign a waver at the time the cars are delivered (usually several months after the show is done filming) stating that they are excepting the cars "as is", and absolve the producers of any liability. If they don't sign it, they don't get the car. The guy with the Cutlass was not alowed to drive the car before taking delivery. Once he got it, he realized that they had spun a bearing in the engine.

HOSS
01-25-2006, 09:14 AM
Whats the deal with the sickness,,,,,,,,,,,,,?

Jbb
01-25-2006, 09:23 AM
Whats the deal with the sickness,,,,,,,,,,,,,?
Watch...This Video (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6626463504089188765&q=accidents%2Bhappen)
you Cajun mutant.... :p

SummitKarl
01-25-2006, 10:17 AM
is Boyds show even still on TV :confused:
That show really portrayed him as TOTAL Jacka$$...that Expects loyalty, rather than earning it from his employees :hammer2:
and Boyds shop manager came off even worse.
I much prefer Foose's show and his "CLASS ACT" status (in my book)
but it makes one wonder about the quality of the cars when all I see on every build is METAL being completely covered in putty :mad: :yuk:
I would like to see these car 2-3yrs down the road. or just see if they would survive even one summer day in the desert
maybe someday we will see a REAL CRAFTSMAN!!!! with a Hammer, Dolly and E-wheel do the body work properly :)
one of the most world renowned coach builders lives and works right behind me(our back yards butt up to each other) this guy hand rolls Cobra bodies and restores ALL!!! of Vic Edelbrock's museum cars, OMG Bruce is so talented, I watch, learn and help every chance I get, it really has put these slap'em together car show in perspective for me

Jbb
01-25-2006, 10:36 AM
That show really portrayed him as TOTAL Jacka$$...that Expects loyalty, rather than earning it from his employees :hammer2:
but it makes one wonder about the quality of the cars when all I see on every build is METAL being completely covered in putty :mad: :yuk:
I would like to see these car 2-3yrs down the road. or just see if they would survive even one summer day in the desert
maybe someday we will see a REAL CRAFTSMAN!!!! with a Hammer, Dolly and E-wheel do the body work properly :)
one of the most world renowned coach builders lives and works right behind me(our back yards butt up to each other) this guy hand rolls Cobra bodies and restores ALL!!! of Vic Edelbrock's museum cars, OMG Bruce is so talented, I watch, learn and help every chance I get, it really has put these slap'em together car show in perspective for me
I agree...partly...The way they prime everything and rush right to paint ....is sure to come back to haunt the owner later.....Bondo however is not what it used to be...and now that laquer products are a thing of the past ....and spot putty is catalyzed..... If you give primer coats time to dry and all the tail solvents to disappear.....you can paint it and expect it to look good for a long time....I used to have people years ago insist I do repairs in lead.....and I had way more reactivity problems with lead than I ever did with properly catalyzed and applied bondo........and shit... :p

roostwear
01-25-2006, 10:36 AM
They are taping, but as I said, wait till the next fiasco becomes public. My oldest son was on the show in the "Career Day" segment.. he goes to the same school as Duane's son. When it comes down to it though, the rodding industry is no more screwed up than the boating industry, just more visible. Is there a way to make the world BIGGER again?

Cole Trickle
01-25-2006, 10:46 AM
I quit watching Overhaulin after I read about the fiasco that the 442 build from the first season turned into.
Foose does build some nice cars though.
I worked on that build.
Lets just say that that car had alot of issues before it even showed up. Regardless of what you read that couple was the most unappreciatve bunch I ever had the displeasure of meeting.The motor was not toast and they were pissed that they didn't get a new big HP motor and a 5 speed manual tranny.
They tried to force a couple of the sponsors to give more and threatened with a law suit when they didn't get what they wanted.
The wife was a lunatic that sits at home and watches TV all day while her husband barely pays the bills.(She was omplaining how they had zero money in the bank and needed a roof yet she said her husband will have to figure out a way to come up with the gift tax)
That car had sat in his driveway/garage for 10+ years and would still be a peice of crap if Overhaulin didn't choose it.

Sleek-Jet
01-25-2006, 10:49 AM
I worked on that build.
Lets just say that that car had alot of issues before it even showed up. Regardless of what you read that couple was the most unappreciatve bunch I ever had the displeasure of meeting.The motor was not toast and they were pissed that they didn't get a new big HP motor and a 5 speed manual tranny.
They tried to force a couple of the sponsors to give more and threatened with a law suit when they didn't get what they wanted.
The wife was a lunatic that sits at home and watches TV all day while her husband barely pays the bills.(She was omplaining how they had zero money in the bank and needed a roof yet she said her husband will have to figure out a way to come up with the gift tax)
That car had sat in his driveway/garage for 10+ years and would still be a peice of crap if Overhaulin didn't choose it.
I remember reading her posts on a couple of the message boards. She did seem a little whacked out.
This is the first time I've heard anyone that worked on that build comment on it.
Two side to every story, right??
Thanks for the info...

Cole Trickle
01-25-2006, 11:06 AM
I remember reading her posts on a couple of the message boards. She did seem a little whacked out.
This is the first time I've heard anyone that worked on that build comment on it.
Two side to every story, right??
Thanks for the info...
It's next to impossible to please everyone.
It just baffels me how someone can complain about someone giving them 20K in parts along with a 5-10K paint job desinged by one of the industrys best designers.Not to mention the time that everyone puts into those cars working around the clock.
Basicly that 442 went from being a $2500 car to a 60K car in 7 days.I think they should have done a better job at wrapping up some of the details once the show is over but that isn't the builders fault.(TV and it's timeline play a real big part in what get's done.... When the producers walk up to you and say you have 10 minutes ant that is it you do your best)
One thing you will notice is that that is one of the last cars that got Fooses logo painted on it.I think the way those people reacted insulted alot of people and took some of the heart out of the show.
The cars are alot more basic now.

BarryMac
01-25-2006, 11:20 AM
I worked on that build.
Cole, what is your best estimate on what the gift tax would run on a build like this? 6, 8 10 thousand maybe???

XtrmWakeborder
01-25-2006, 12:25 PM
All i know is the lady that got the corvette done for her is a family friend and she brought it by work to show all of us and man it was nice. I would LOVE to have someone do up my car like that. How anyone could complain is beyond me.

SummitKarl
01-25-2006, 12:40 PM
I agree...partly...The way they prime everything and rush right to paint ....is sure to come back to haunt the owner later.....Bondo however is not what it used to be...and now that laquer products are a thing of the past ....and spot putty is catalyzed..... If you give primer coats time to dry and all the tail solvents to disappear.....you can paint it and expect it to look good for a long time....I used to have people years ago insist I do repairs in lead.....and I had way more reactivity problems with lead than I ever did with properly catalyzed and applied bondo........and shit... :p
yes the new products are much better, but I miss the laquer buzz.....and shiat :)

Jbb
01-25-2006, 12:47 PM
yes the new products are much better, but I miss the laquer buzz.....and shiat :)
Buzzzzzzzzzzzz :p

RiverDave
01-25-2006, 12:52 PM
I got an old 76 Caddy that would go nicely on that show.. :) :D
RD

BrendellaJet
01-25-2006, 12:53 PM
Cole, what is your best estimate on what the gift tax would run on a build like this? 6, 8 10 thousand maybe???
Amounts received as prizes and awards are generally included in the winner's gross income. A prize or award made in goods or services rather than money is included in income at its fair market value
There are two limited exceptions to this general rule. Prizes and awards may be excluded from gross income only if they: (1) are received for some achievement and are donated by the recipient to charity or (2) qualify as employee achievement awards.
Still a good deal, but not a freebie.

SummitKarl
01-25-2006, 01:05 PM
I don't think they are prize winners, one of my friend wifes looked into it and the info she got says your paying for the restore of the car.

BrendellaJet
01-25-2006, 01:31 PM
if you have to fill out a raffle ticket or in any way apply to be chosen, it is a contest.
Certain recognition awards are excluded from income. An award must meet four conditions to be a nontaxable recognition award:
(1) The award must be made primarily in recognition of religious, charitable, scientific, educational, artistic, literary or civic achievement.
(2) The recipient must have been selected without taking any action to enter the contest or proceeding.
(3) The recipient must not be required to render substantial future services as a condition to receiving the award.
(4) The grantor of the award must transfer the award to a government body or charitable organization under the award winner's designation.13