PDA

View Full Version : Tonight I......

OGShocker
12-15-2006, 10:55 PM
... played Santa for our friends Cub Scout troop. The first little boy (very timid 8 year old) came up to me, I asked him what he wanted for Christmas and he looked me in the eyes and said..... "I just want my Grandpa back". Broke my heart to see the li'l guy's eyes. He didn't want toys, a PS3 or anything else, he just wanted his buddy back in his life. As most of you know, we lost my dad in 2005, my son has asked for the same thing for two years now.
Another boy (near the end of the night) asked for a shirt and a pair of pants. When I asked about toys, he told me they were "not important". It was a very sobering moment. Here was a kid in today's world, who wants no luxury items he only wants what he needs. He walked up to and away from me with one of the biggest smiles of the night.
Two years ago I played Santa for the same troop. I asked a little boy what he wanted and he replied, "I just want my daddy back" went I asked how long he had been gone (as I held back the tears) he said "one week, he is on a business trip and I really miss him". I almost jumped for joy when I found out the kids dad was OK! Tonight did not produce the same happy ending.
Goodnight all, I am spent.

Magic34
12-15-2006, 11:45 PM
Thanks for making a difference OG.

IN2-IN2MX
12-15-2006, 11:46 PM
That is really sad. :( OG, you're a kind person to take time out and do that for the kids. :)

RitcheyRch
12-16-2006, 08:51 AM
Good for you OG. Am sure you made the day for those kids. Now, did you go buy the one little boy pants and shirts?

SummitKarl
12-16-2006, 09:31 AM
... played Santa for our friends Cub Scout troop. The first little boy (very timid 8 year old) came up to me, I asked him what he wanted for Christmas and he looked me in the eyes and said..... "I just want my Grandpa back". Broke my heart to see the li'l guy's eyes. He didn't want toys, a PS3 or anything else, he just wanted his buddy back in his life. As most of you know, we lost my dad in 2005, my son has asked for the same thing for two years now.
Another boy (near the end of the night) asked for a shirt and a pair of pants. When I asked about toys, he told me they were "not important. It was a very sobering moment. Here was a kid in today's world, who wants no luxury items he only wants what he needs. He walked up to and away from me with one of the biggest smiles of the night.
Two years ago I played Santa for the same troop. I asked a little boy what he wanted and he replied, "I just want my daddy back" went I asked how long he had been gone (as I held back the tears) he said "one week, he is on a business trip and I really miss him". I almost jumped for joy when I found out the kids dad was OK! Tonight did not produce the same happy ending.
Goodnight all, I am spent.
This is why I love ya bud.......your a good man Charlie Brown:)

Mrs.Racer277
12-16-2006, 09:47 AM
Very touching. We all know I would have to have tissue on hand.

LHC30Victory
12-16-2006, 10:38 AM
Yup, gotta love those kids. There are a lot more needy kids in cub scouts than most would believe...
OG, Thanks for helping the boys..

Ziggy
12-16-2006, 11:14 AM
Ho, Ho, Ho to you Mark....what a great thing to do.
Kids are brutally honest too. Seems there is hope for the worlds future afterall.:)

little rowe boat
12-16-2006, 01:52 PM
Good job Mark. I hope you and everyone has a great time at your party tonight.
Merry Christmas.
Jeff

Keith E. Sayre
12-16-2006, 01:56 PM
A real eye opener. Thanks. Keith Sayre

Mandelon
12-16-2006, 06:36 PM
We can't help with grandpa, but where do we send the pants? :idea:

OGShocker
12-18-2006, 11:08 AM
I talked to the scout master over the weekend. The little boy who asked for the pants and shirt, did so only because he feels he has enough toys. I thought, at the time I posted, he was a child from a broken home with no resources of their own. I am happy to report this is NOT the case. He is just a boy, a boy with a kind a gentle soul. He told his mom to give the toys she was going to buy for him to someone who needed them. As cynical as I am, this kind of thing gives me hope for future generations.
Thank you ALL for wanting to send items to this young man! Keith, your PM made me tear up. It also made me think about sending some clothes to our near by shelter.:idea:
Merry Christmas, Hot Boaters!

BshyBvrGirl
12-18-2006, 11:59 AM
***boaters...there are some really good kids out there...and OG...sounds like there's one in that scout troop.
My good friend's little girl is one of those kids...let me tell ya..she's changed me for the better. I received her birthday party invite last year. On it she stated to not bring toys. Instead, she asked that everybody invited bring items to send to the soldiers overseas in Iraq and Afghanistan. When I asked her mom about it, she told me it was completely the child's idea. She had learned about the war in schoool and wanted to help. She was 8 at the time.:)

Wet Dream
12-18-2006, 12:22 PM
Its good to hear stories like that. Kinda chokes a guy up.

Outnumbered
12-18-2006, 02:06 PM
Merry Chistmas...thanks for sharing your story.

DMOORE
12-18-2006, 04:17 PM
It puts everything in perspective doesn't it.
Darrell.

mickeyfinn
12-18-2006, 05:34 PM
Not as touching of a story but,
We had our Cub Scout pack meeting saturday night and had Santa show up.We met in the school lunchroom and after Santa was seated, one of the kids asked "where are your reindeer". Santa tried to be safe and said "out on the playground" (located on the opposite end and behind the school. Very few of the adults heard this conversation when suddenly about 10 boys took off running at top speed. Going to see the reindeer! My wife was right behind them and caught them before they got anywhere near the playground. Funny as hell!! All the parents were just stunned, had no idea what was happening.:D

OGShocker
12-19-2006, 06:17 AM
Not as touching of a story but,
We had our Cub Scout pack meeting saturday night and had Santa show up.We met in the school lunchroom and after Santa was seated, one of the kids asked "where are your reindeer". Santa tried to be safe and said "out on the playground" (located on the opposite end and behind the school. Very few of the adults heard this conversation when suddenly about 10 boys took off running at top speed. Going to see the reindeer! My wife was right behind them and caught them before they got anywhere near the playground. Funny as hell!! All the parents were just stunned, had no idea what was happening.:D
Good story!
My kids asked the same thing. I told them they were on the roof, where all good reindeer stay. My friend walked out a minute or so before I did to find three scouts out looking for a way on to the roof. each of the boys had a cookie in their hands..:D North, South, East or West... boys will be boys!
I do have a problem now. My eight (going on 35) year old son is starting to ask "why is it when Santa comes, dad is not here"? "Mom is here:idea: Grandma is here:idea: but, not my dad"... I am looking for someone to play Santa for our house this year. I normally cover four of the eight houses on our block. I always hit our house last hoping I can get back to the house within minutes of Santa leaving. I know I can keep up his belief in ol' St. Nick, if I can just get thru this year...