PDA

View Full Version : kidney stones

acatitude
12-17-2006, 06:01 AM
any one have a home remedy

Trailer Park Casanova
12-17-2006, 06:05 AM
What worked for me:
Prevention is avoid spa/Jacuzzi's, drink lots of fluids.
If you pass one, capture the stone by peeing through a paint strainer, have it analyzed (Quest labs all over Cali., 3 in Simi alone) and avoid food related to what produced the stone.
My case it was Sweet and Low.
Hope that helps.
Nothing tops the pain of a stone.
Wife told me she's delivered two babys and passed a kidney stone. The stone was far more painfull.

life's a river
12-17-2006, 06:06 AM
Ibuprofen is the only thing that will help a little.
I had one 3 years ago and thought I was going to die. Worst pain ever. I feel for ya bro!.

work2play
12-17-2006, 06:23 AM
Drink a gallon of water before noon and another afternoon. Let it float out. But yes it will still hurt. Sorry.

framer1
12-17-2006, 06:58 AM
What worked for me:
Prevention is avoid spa/Jacuzzi's, drink lots of fluids.
If you pass one, capture the stone by peeing through a paint strainer, have it analyzed (Quest labs all over Cali., 3 in Simi alone) and avoid food related to what produced the stone.
My case it was Sweet and Low.
Hope that helps.
Nothing tops the pain of a stone.
Wife told me she's delivered two babys and passed a kidney stone. The stone was far more painfull.
Why spa/jacuzzi's....What does that do:confused:

Tequila-John
12-17-2006, 06:59 AM
Ouch!

RitcheyRch
12-17-2006, 07:57 AM
I ended up in the hospital in beautiful Blythe due to a kidney stone. Basically, drink plenty of fluids. Mine didnt hurt when it passed. The doctor said some hurt and some dont when they pass depending on their chemical make-up. Mine was smooth and not jagged. Apparently the jagged ones hurt.

Trailer Park Casanova
12-17-2006, 09:40 AM
Why spa/jacuzzi's....What does that do:confused:
The spa de-hydrates your kidney leaving solids behind that form the stone.
I gave up spas and Sweet and Low, and haven't had a stone in 16 years.
Several friends the same results.
The only pain killer that worked for me was morphine.

sawtooth
12-17-2006, 10:36 AM
Had one a little over a year ago, was in the emergency room for 7 hours. 3 shots of morphine later :mix: I finally passed it, it was stuck in the tube between the kidney and blader and things were backing up and shutting down. I wanted to die, :cry: was praying for the sweet relese that only death could bring. Turns out I don't prosess calcium well and was doing Tums antacid's like candy (stress/ulser). Dr. told me to stay away from things containing Oxcalate (sp) it turns to bad calcium in the kidneys, kind of like good/bad cholesterol. Things I don't touch now are antacids, carmel colored sodas, chocolate, strawberries, celery, blah, blah, blah. Drink a bunch of H2o like people have said and lots of lemonade (the real stuff with citrus juice) and good luck.

blown65
12-17-2006, 12:05 PM
Ive had them many many times. (Like 8 times now)
Finally found out it was Dark soda products like Coke and Pepsi. I'm ok if I drink 7-up/Sprite stuff. Luckily Beer isnt affected. :) If I drink Pepsi for any prolonged amount of time, Ill develop a stone within 3 months. (Been good for 2 1/2 yrs now)
Ive actually had the Ultra Sound done a few times to break them up. Only choices are to get pain pills, or shots at the hospital. They def are painful though.

Rackman
12-17-2006, 12:17 PM
Had one a little over a year ago, was in the emergency room for 7 hours. 3 shots of morphine later :mix: I finally passed it, it was stuck in the tube between the kidney and blader and things were backing up and shutting down. I wanted to die, :cry: was praying for the sweet relese that only death could bring. Turns out I don't prosess calcium well and was doing Tums antacid's like candy (stress/ulser). Dr. told me to stay away from things containing Oxcalate (sp) it turns to bad calcium in the kidneys, kind of like good/bad cholesterol. Things I don't touch now are antacids, carmel colored sodas, chocolate, strawberries, celery, blah, blah, blah. Drink a bunch of H2o like people have said and lots of lemonade (the real stuff with citrus juice) and good luck.
Was told by doctor I have an 8mm stone that has not broke loose yet.. also used to eat tums by the truckload. Not looking forward to the day it breaks loose...

acatitude
12-17-2006, 12:20 PM
Thanks guys, this was my 3rd one in about 10 years now. started yesterday about 3pm and I just sucked down vicaden every 2 hours until 6am this morning. now about 1/2 hr ago all the pain just went away, but I dont think I passed anything.
Doc told me last time to cut out dairy products and the soda.. Guess Ill listen from now on (dam I love ice cream).. like sawtooth said, just fockin kill me and put me out of the misery.
And drug stores dont sell anything over the counter for it. well hopefully its gone disolved or whatever it does.
GUess I'll go back to drinking beer.
hey sawtooth was the lemonade particular to your situation or was that in general?

NashvilleBound
12-17-2006, 02:16 PM
I had on while living in San Diego. Doctor said it was due to me drinking lots of tap water. Said its way too hard. Drink LOTS of bottled water. Avoid soda and alcohol too. They dry your body out. I had to go on Alopuranol for about two years. It was while we had a band and were drinking every other day......
If your pain just "Went away"...you better get your gallbladder checked!!!

RitcheyRch
12-17-2006, 02:19 PM
I've also heard that Orange Juice has the same affect as Cranberry Juice at preventing stones

Jbb
12-17-2006, 02:25 PM
Brown is ...."The Kidney Stone"......of the ***boat Forums...:p

acatitude
12-17-2006, 02:49 PM
I've also heard that Orange Juice has the same affect as Cranberry Juice at preventing stones
well guess I can start throwing a liitle juice in with goose:mix:

HYPNAUTIC
12-17-2006, 06:44 PM
I passed 3 of them this year. Wife thinks it from all the Rockstar I drink, I told her its from a lack of sex. So she lets me drink all the RS I want. Theres just something mentally damaging when you watch yourself piss blood. And I hate that feeling of always having to pee.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
12-17-2006, 11:24 PM
I wanted to die, :cry: was praying for the sweet relese that only death could bring.
Well....
I have had them twice and this statement is very accurate.....:cry:
Hard to believe you would want to die, but that's what I was thinking....:cry:
I use to think I had a high pain threshold.....then I was "Re-Calibrated"....:cry:
Good luck....
CJG
:(

Mattman
12-18-2006, 09:32 AM
Spent this weekend in the E.R. with two 3mm stones. One in each kidney. Woke up from a sound sleep at 2am like somebody was standing on my nuts while stabbing me in my lower back. I'm 6'3 270lbs and it knocked me on my ass. Straight to the floor and immediately threw up from the pain. E.R. Doc loaded me up with dope and that was great...... until they hit me with a catheter:cry: Passed the stones over the last couple of days..Holy good Fuk! NEVER AGAIN! If it takes me drinking water and eating toast for the rest of my life, that's what I'll do!

DILLIGAF
12-18-2006, 07:09 PM
Lots and lots of water and then MORE water. I have had them before and a couple of weeks ago I had them returning and jacked up the water intake and now I am fine. They may just be hanging around but for right now no issues.

DILLIGAF
12-18-2006, 07:12 PM
Thanks guys, this was my 3rd one in about 10 years now. started yesterday about 3pm and I just sucked down vicaden every 2 hours until 6am this morning. now about 1/2 hr ago all the pain just went away, but I dont think I passed anything.
Doc told me last time to cut out dairy products and the soda.. Guess Ill listen from now on (dam I love ice cream).. like sawtooth said, just fockin kill me and put me out of the misery.
And drug stores dont sell anything over the counter for it. well hopefully its gone disolved or whatever it does.
GUess I'll go back to drinking beer.
hey sawtooth was the lemonade particular to your situation or was that in general?
All I will take is Advils. I don't like that other stuff. Good luck

JAY4SPEED
12-18-2006, 07:53 PM
any one have a home remedy
I get them also about once a year in winter. Its usually when my water intake is at its lowest. I don't drink much water in winter because of not being thirsty. The latest episode I has was about 2 weeks ago. I've got a perscription for Percocet when it hits. I can tell when they are on the way when I get a dull backache like someone has been punching me in the lower back. Then the shooting pain goes straight from my side to my nuts. The only way can I deal with the pain is to strip naked and pace up and down my hallway until the pain pills kick in. I usually end up fall asleep after a while. When I wake up, I take out the strainer and catch the little sucker. Mine are caused by brewed products like coffee and tea, choclate, and dark leafy mineral rich foods like spinach.
Be careful of bodybuilding suppliments some multivitamins and Creatine, they are known to cause stones in certain people.
Keep your kidneys flushed out with lots of water, it doesn't give the crystals time to accumulate and grow. Good luck with it, God knows I feel your pain (literally)
Jay

acatitude
12-18-2006, 08:17 PM
You know Jay , I kinda felt little cringes of pain every once in a while for the last month. Ill be much more aware of it from now on.
I know what you mean mattman, The last one i was all drugged up in ER for about 5 hrs. This one wasnt as bad as that one, not as much sweating, but what confuses me is I have never (at least that im aware of) passed one. Even in hospital just had me morphined up and made me stay until I convinced them I could drive. Not sure it ever passed. I still dont know what caused them but I will eat toast water juice forever if it doesnt happen again. Ill surely be much more aware of that feeling in the lower back. its A CATCH 22, I guess, Id like to see what causes them , but I dont want them again to find out. so I guess no soda, ice cream, dairy products. shit nothing left .. oh well maybe I wont be so damned fat anymore.:idea: