PDA

View Full Version : now i feel dumb

76 sanger hydro
02-18-2002, 09:23 PM
ok i got a flywheel for my ski hydro but i was told a light one is best i got one for my engine a int bal 396 . a guy at the machine shop said use a small block flywheel for lightness . so tell me do i go with stock and either have it lightened or shall i go with the small block ,will it fit or was he full of shit help

DetroitJim
02-19-2002, 07:45 AM
Hey man don't be so hard on yourself. There has always been a lot of talk about flywheel weight, just ignore it. For a 396 it is true you can use a small diameter flywheel since it is the same for small or big block except 454. A super light flywheel might make a small difference on a fast revving drag car with 4.88 gears but for a boat, the difference would be minimal. Use what you have and focus on other things.
DJ

LeE ss13
02-19-2002, 06:45 PM
Be carefull about old after market flywheels that were made for small blocks. I bought an Aluminum Shaffer at a swap meet once for $20 only to find out that it wouldn't fit the bigger flange of a big block and somebody tightened it down anyway and bent the whole flywheel. I still have it.
---------
LeE ss13
P.S. Don't go any lighter than 10 lbs.

76 sanger hydro
02-19-2002, 11:10 PM
hey thanks for your imput guys you are always great help hope we can all meet at a regatta this year