PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Toys of the past (true):

Trailer Park Casanova
12-19-2006, 01:56 AM
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3812atomic-energy-lab-01-med.jpg
Honey, why is your face glowing? In 1951, A.C. Gilbert introduced his U-238 Atomic Energy Lab, a radioactive learning set we can only assume was fun for the whole math club. Gilbert, who Americanmemorabilia claims was "often compared to Walt Disney for his creative genius," had a dream that nuclear power could capture the imaginations of children everywhere. For a mere $49.50, the kit came complete with three "very low-level" radioactive sources, a Geiger-Mueller radiation counter, a Wilson Cloud Chamber (to see paths of alpha particles), a Spinthariscope (to see "live" radioactive disintegration), four samples of Uranium-bearing ores, and an Electroscope to measure radioactivity.
MUTUALLY ASSURED INSTRUCTION Junior Einsteins had everything they needed, except a hazmat suit
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3812atomic-energy-lab-02.jpg
And what nuclear lab for kids would be complete without an Atomic Energy Manual and Learn How Dagwood Splits the Atom comic book? (The latter was written with the help of General Leslie Groves, director of the Manhattan Project.)
Kids do the darndest things, but not, apparently, nuclear physics. The toy was only sold for one year. It's unclear what effects the Uranium-bearing ores might have had on those few lucky children who received the set, but exposure to the same isotope—U-238—has been linked to Gulf War syndrome, cancer, leukemia, and lymphoma, among other serious ailments. Even more uncertain is the longterm impact of being raised by the kind of nerds who would give their kid an Atomic Energy Lab.

wsuwrhr
12-19-2006, 08:13 AM
Sweet, where can we get one?

Jordy
12-19-2006, 08:21 AM
Sweet, where can we get one?
No kidding. I can think of a few people who are in dire need of one of these!!! :D :D :D

wsuwrhr
12-19-2006, 09:23 AM
Osama would love a few of these

73kona455
12-19-2006, 09:33 AM
that may be how he got started..lol

Jordy
12-19-2006, 09:41 AM
I was thinking a little more locally... :D
Oh, and I was just reading the "SAFE RADIOACTIVE MATERIALS" on the box lid. It was safe back then, what the hell happened??? :D :D :D

UnionJack
12-19-2006, 10:19 AM
My dad has 11 boxes of Lawn Darts, we play every Christmas

wsuwrhr
12-19-2006, 10:22 AM
My dad has 11 boxes of Lawn Darts, we play every Christmas
I loved that game when I was a kid.
We played at a neighbors house one year to find out the previous owner was thrifty on digging trenches for the PVC.
We weren't allowed to play there again.
Brian

Jbb
12-19-2006, 10:24 AM
Lawn darts, plutonium, and BB guns......That's what Christmas is all about!:D

UnionJack
12-19-2006, 11:04 AM
He buy's them at Garage Sales

RitcheyRch
12-19-2006, 11:10 AM
Guess am not old enough since dont remember that game. :D