PDA

View Full Version : Beware Tarts and Gelatine

Debbolas
12-22-2006, 08:38 AM
--WARNING---NON BOAT RELATED THREAD--SORT OF A CHRISTMASY THREAD---REGARDING BAKING--NO WHERE IN THIS THREAD ARE BOATS MENTIONED--PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK--
Last night my daughter Mary Beth (who is 16) was baking for her friends and teachers.
My family and I were just relaxing on the couch....when....... Mary Beth asks for my help.....She is following this very detailed recipe.......the tart dough would not roll out (too crumbly) so we put little balls of dough into the tiny cupcakes pan and pressed it down with a wooden thingy. (like a wooden dumbell)
They came out pretty well. Although my son came into the room and asked what smelled so bad.(?) Then we made the filling which included cooking, straining and blending some poor razzberries. All was well until we had to add..............THE GELATINE!!!! The recipe called for one ounce of unflavored gelatine, the package I bought said one ounce but had four little packages in it (?) NO WHERE on the package did it say how much was in the little packages. (Isn't that against the law ) So we measured out one ounce into a measuring cup and it was all four gelatine packages. (did you know that gelatine is made from horse hooves? I haven't had the heart to tell Mary Beth, she won't even eat lamb)
It smelled awful, really bad, and at 11pm we were ready to throw in the towel. The gelatine when mixed with the cold water had turned into little clumps of gell. It looked like the inside of those bouncy balls that my dog chews up. So Scream gets involved and tries to heat the gelatine up, so it we can wisk it into the razzberry purree.....then add butter? ( What a strange recipe, why can't we just make a cranberry like sauce from the razzberries with sugar?)
Well he gave up and went to bed.....I had to TASTE the razzberrry purree with the gelatine added to it which now looked like just like silly putty . NO WAY we can put this into the tart cups. And her French teacher is counting on these tarts, he can be quite strange, he thinks French people are the "master race" and of course Mary Beth aggravates this by arguing with him all the time. These tarts are very important! So we decide to use some lovely razzberry jam, that Scream found at some gourmet food store. Now the tarts look great! We tasted one and they taste good, all the same Scream wouldn't taste one this morning. ;)
All is well, I just need to sandblast the mess from my kitchen, I should take a picture, it has NEVER looked this messy I'm sure!
Well you Have a Great day!!!
don't make any razzberry tarts with gelatine ;)
:)