PDA

View Full Version : ford diesel

Havasubum
12-22-2006, 03:27 PM
im looking to get a new f-350 with the 6.0 diesel, and was wondering how good the motor is. ive heard story of injectors going out and stuff. just wanna make sure i get the right truck that wont break down

buzzaro
12-22-2006, 03:33 PM
My popcorn is in the microwave as we speak:D

BLOWN HOWARD
12-22-2006, 03:37 PM
Just saw one of the new Twin Turbo ones around the corner from my house. Dont know about any probs yet

JetBoatRich
12-22-2006, 03:38 PM
Very Happy with mine:D

Hal
12-22-2006, 04:04 PM
Have had my 05 a year and a half... love it, not a single problem with it.

TCHB
12-22-2006, 04:13 PM
I heard the transmission is the weak link compared to the Allison trans.

Jrocket
12-22-2006, 04:15 PM
I've got an 04 and its been great.
Have'nt heard of any weak link transmissions though.:confused:

Rackman
12-22-2006, 04:22 PM
We have 3 in our fleet. Two '06 and one '07. One of the '06s had a crack develop in the oil pickup for the HP oil pump that drives the fuel pump at about 25,000 miles. Wouldn't start when hot. Dealer covered all repairs including towing. Has over 100,000 miles now - no issues. The other 06 has been trouble free for 70,000 miles. The 07 started blowing coolant out of the overflow res. at 6,000 miles, dealer and factory rep could not fix. They replaced the truck with a new one from the factory.
Ford, GM, Dodge, they all have issues on occasion. Customer service is what makes the difference to me.

Sand Dawg
12-22-2006, 04:26 PM
go to dieselstop.com and do some reading
great site ford Ford guys and soon to be owners.

Jim W
12-22-2006, 04:27 PM
The correct way to refer to the 6.0 is....
6. Oh no!!!!
Be good, Jim

Trailer Park Casanova
12-22-2006, 04:35 PM
The new Ford diesel and trans will be released soon.
I'd wait.
That's all I'm going to say.

cc322
12-22-2006, 04:38 PM
This is a good site as well, lots of info and day of reading.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/

Fire Angler
12-22-2006, 05:08 PM
My 06 just turned 40k. It has been trouble free so far.

Rackman
12-22-2006, 05:11 PM
The new Ford diesel and trans will be released soon.
I'd wait.
That's all I'm going to say.
The new generation diesels are supposed to be awesome...downside is they are all going to require the new "Low Sulphur" fuel - expect to pay more $$$ per gallon, and somewhat limited availability.

shadow
12-22-2006, 05:18 PM
The new generation diesels are supposed to be awesome...downside is they are all going to require the new "Low Sulphur" fuel - expect to pay more $$$ per gallon, and somewhat limited availability.
Pretty soon all stations that sell diesel will have the low sulphur fuel.:)

ultra27jay
12-22-2006, 05:57 PM
one of my very good customers picked up his 06 f250 6.0. last week from a dealership here in orange. he got it with a 6 inch lift kit. he brought it to me with 300 miles on it. we put the banks 6 gun system,power pda,turbo back and intake on it, mag hytec trans pan. then he picks up his new full throttle weekend warrior and off to pismo beach, that was on tuesday.and as of thurs its at the ford dealer in san luis with a rear main seal leaking......700 miles total on the truck.

vee-driven
12-22-2006, 06:03 PM
ford 6.ohno and torqshit trans buy a chevy, because friends don't let friends drive fords!

Zaairman
12-22-2006, 06:12 PM
im looking to get a new f-350 with the 6.0 diesel, and was wondering how good the motor is. ive heard story of injectors going out and stuff. just wanna make sure i get the right truck that wont break down
Get it and run it HARD. Tow with it. Haul everything. Run the piss out of it. They break when they run an easy life. And the only 6.0s you want to steer clear of are the late 03's/early 04s. After that, they're pretty stable. I haven't heard of any transmission problems with them either...

Caribbean Jet
12-22-2006, 06:17 PM
I have an 04 and love it. It has nearly 40k trouble free miles all towing miles. I heard good and bad information on all of the trucks. I think that the Fords look better.

SUPERDUTYRHINO
12-22-2006, 06:20 PM
Jeckyle and Hyde motor, wait if you can, the 6.0 is a short run motor 03.5-06.5. Three and a half years of production? I love my 6.0 when it's not in the shop. Try (ford truck forum). They seem to have the bugs worked out of the 06/07's, but as far as diesels go it will always be a step-child.

SoCal_fun
12-22-2006, 06:58 PM
05 F250 4x4 6.0. 25,000 towing, hauling camper, etc. No real problems yet. Love it.

mxbundy
12-22-2006, 07:09 PM
Love the truck, but..................:devil:
2 turbos and all fuel injectors replaced twice.....
numerous check engine lights along with replaced various sensors. All within the first 100,000 miles.
Absolutly no tranny problems.

SummerBreeze
12-22-2006, 07:11 PM
I have an 04 with a 4 inch lift and 37 inch tires 45 k miles. Great truck only one issue at about 30 k. Some type of recall issue and they re maped the computer. Runs strong pulls great.

capone550
12-22-2006, 09:17 PM
If your gonna buy a new truck drive all three of them and let your mind decide for you. I drove eight different trucks and decided on the chevy due to pure comfort. They all run real similar.

Caribbean Jet
12-22-2006, 09:27 PM
If your gonna buy a new truck drive all three of them and let your mind decide for you. I drove eight different trucks and decided on the chevy due to pure comfort. They all run real similar.
I also had this.
I have a 6 inch lift with 35's

dumbandyoung
12-22-2006, 10:27 PM
I also had this.
I have a 6 inch lift with 35's
i loove mine

BoatPI
12-23-2006, 07:22 AM
I purchased a 06' crew and zero isues. Fuel mileage has increased from 16 unloaded on the freeway to 17.5 to 18.5. MPG. With 600 miles on it I drove to canada, seats on Larriot are great, no lower back pain. No XM so I have a module. I got 7K off of window sticker, and 4K rebate. Most dealers will give you 7K off. best truck that i ever owned, second best was 90' Z-71.

sleekcrafter
12-23-2006, 07:40 AM
NEWS FLASH.... we have been running the new fuels for a couple weeks already. Runs fine idle is a little lopey in the 7.3, and power is better:confused: the 6.0 seems there is no ill effects.
As for the 6.0 the early problems have been resolved, most all the issues were the PCM, and a few with injector problems. Everyone I know that has the 6.0 love them to death, with no problems, except the guy who got the early 03 6.0, he wanted to burn the thing to the ground. His issues were resolved as well, and love the truck.

NashvilleBound
12-23-2006, 07:53 AM
Dont do it....the new motor is only 1 month away from hitting the streets. IF you can afford it that is.............

cc322
12-23-2006, 08:26 AM
Twas the night before Christmas
And all though the hood
There were Super Duty’s pullin’
Deliverin’ the goods.
When way down the street
There rose such a clatter
All the V10 owners
Had to see what was the matter
Out of his truck
He grumbled in rage
A Power Stroke owner
Had seen better days
Black smoke belched
But the beast would not start
Just sat in the drive
Like a sick old fart
The V10 owners
With their heads held high
Said, “That is the reason
No Diesels we drive!”
With 10 pistons burnin’
And 4 tires turnin’
They delivered their goods
To the youngsters a yernin’
On Crew Cab, on Super,
And Regular Cab too,
We’ll take care of Christmas
When the sick diesels won’t do
So when Chritsmas is close
And the children all hope
Don’t try to depend
On a sick Power Stroke
To deliver the goods
And make the kids smile
Get a V10
And count down the miles

cc322
12-23-2006, 08:27 AM
On a more positive note
twas the night before christmas and down from the levy, not a diesel was chugging, not even a chevy
all the trucks were parked with there block heaters on, hoping this fridged weather soon would be gone
when out on the frontage road arose such a clatter, i sprange from my creeper to see what was the matter, away out the garage door i went in a flash, tossing my empty beer can into the trash
the flood lights illuminated the sight so truly, it was plump white bearded chap in red crewcab dullie, i thought to myself it sounded real good, he must have 600 horses under the hood
i turned and yelled to my good buddy rudy, i think thats santa in a new superduty, he stopped that big truck and trailer with not nary a bob, i new the tow comand was doing its job
the rig was all light from tip to tail, and had 6 inch stacks that made quite a wail
as he took of that night not a word was spoken, just a wave, a black cloud and 6 tires a smoking

Baja Big Dog
12-23-2006, 09:21 AM
Own 14 Ford Diesels, 4 6.0's on service trucks, mostly driven by guys that dont own them and most with the "drive it like your stole it" driving style.
Buddy bought on5 (06) and it had an oil leak, had to take it back three times before they changed the front cover, he bitched and complained about us talking him into buying a Ford, we didnt talk him into it he just drove our trucks during tours in Mexico. he was a "Chevy nazi" until now.
He went to the diesel website and said he should have read about these trucks before he bought one. I laughed, the guys complaining were bashing Fords, and it was funny to listen to them, I told him that not many people are going to go on the fourm and talk about how they like the truck.
I found the facts, Since 2001 Ford sold 1.3 million diesels, more than Chevy and Dodge combined......WOW says something for Fords!!

DAVEY B
12-23-2006, 09:41 AM
I have an '03 6.0L one of the first. 4" lift 35" tires exhaust, intake and the edge with the attitude it is the best truck I have ever had! It has 67,000 mile and the first 45,000 were towing a 28' race trail that weighed 14,000lbs. cross country. It's still running strong.:)

Havasubum
12-23-2006, 10:56 AM
i was told to look at anything between 05 and 06 since they solved most of there problems. what upgrades does everyone have? and how has the motor held up?

billet racing 1
12-23-2006, 10:56 AM
I have an 04 F350. Crew cab, daully. with the 6.0. 121,000 miles. Bought off the lot in Feb. 04. So you can see I put some miles on her.
Put stuff in the bed all the time, as much as 4,500 lbs.
Pull 44' gooseneck trailer. Scaled out at 24,000 lbs and change. Run up the hill to Havasu with the air on.
At 85,000 miles, I put new tires and front brakes on. With the Chevy, I did that every 30,000 miles.
Best truck I have ever owned. Issues? Yes, Ford replaced the Turbo, fixed the rear main seal, and remaped the ECM. Took it back to the dealer just prior to the 100,000 warrenty expired. they took care of everything. After owning 4 Chevy's, I will buy Ford again.
Jerry

reDECKulous
12-23-2006, 11:50 AM
I just purchased a 06 F350 6.0 in Sept, have 8k miles on it and not a problem at all. Lots of power and torque!

blown65
12-23-2006, 02:33 PM
Cant go into details on our GM, but lets say its not good.
Just ordered an 08 F450 King Ranch. Cant wait. :)

little rowe boat
12-23-2006, 03:00 PM
I have a 2000 7.3 which I love, I have several people I work with that have 05 and 06's and they love them. They pull like a raped ape.
Ford is the only true WORK truck.

HammerDown
12-23-2006, 03:16 PM
I have a 2000 7.3 which I love, I have several people I work with that have 05 and 06's and they love them. They pull like a raped ape.
Ford is the only true WORK truck.
The ol 7.3 is the ONE to have...GREAT ENGINE!

HammerDown
12-23-2006, 03:19 PM
i was told to look at anything between 05 and 06 since they solved most of there problems. what upgrades does everyone have? and how has the motor held up?
When a few Ford techs (at Pizza Hut for lunch) tell me the 6.0 is seriously (still) a coin toss...I'll keep my money in my pocket a bit longer. Till the odds are a bit better.

dmontzsta
12-23-2006, 04:10 PM
You cannot beat a Ford truck, there is a reason they are the #1 selling for the past 20 years.

MBlaster
12-23-2006, 06:33 PM
It's not the fuel but the increased emission controls and their that raised the cost of 07 clankers. I'd look for a 06.

77charger
12-23-2006, 06:47 PM
I found the facts, Since 2001 Ford sold 1.3 million diesels, more than Chevy and Dodge combined......WOW says something for Fords!!
Might just be only chevy but what if you combined them with gmc both under GM!!some go with chevy for the different front end grilles vs the gmc or vice versa.I am sure the result would put furd at number 2

Trailer Park Casanova
12-23-2006, 06:53 PM
http://www.fordvehicles.com/Trucks/2008superduty/

vee-driven
12-23-2006, 07:10 PM
On a more positive note
twas the night before christmas and down from the levy, not a diesel was chugging, not even a chevy
all the trucks were parked with there block heaters on, hoping this fridged weather soon would be gone
when out on the frontage road arose such a clatter, i sprange from my creeper to see what was the matter, away out the garage door i went in a flash, tossing my empty beer can into the trash
the flood lights illuminated the sight so truly, it was plump white bearded chap in red crewcab dullie, i thought to myself it sounded real good, he must have 600 horses under the hood
i turned and yelled to my good buddy rudy, i think thats santa in a new superduty, he stopped that big truck and trailer with not nary a bob, i new the tow comand was doing its job
the rig was all light from tip to tail, and had 6 inch stacks that made quite a wail
as he took of that night not a word was spoken, just a wave, a black cloud and 6 tires a smoking

NashvilleBound
12-23-2006, 07:17 PM
http://www.fordvehicles.com/Trucks/2008superduty/
Only problem with the 08's....there is a hypothetical wait time of several months.....the bump for the single, two stage turbo Diesel motor is $6k. I priced one about two weeks ago at just over $60k. That would be a no.

Brian
12-23-2006, 07:26 PM
...Ford is the only true WORK truck.
That's funny. Heard that from several people and never understood it. I've owned them all, and the only one that never gave me any issues was an 04 Dodge/Cummins with a 6 spd. That thing had by far the most bulletproof motor and trans of anything out there. Axles and suspension were super stout as well. Overall engineering and packaging was way above Ford and GM if you care about wrenching on your own stuff. Currently driving an 04 Ford diesel, but only because the Excursion is the only big SUV with a diesel and I need the interior room. It's nice, but the POS has given me plenty of problems ever since I got it. If Dodge made an SUV with the Cummins there'd be one in my driveway. "Ford makes the only true work trucks", ha ha what a joke!
:devil:

dumbandyoung
12-23-2006, 07:53 PM
Twas the night before Christmas
And all though the hood
There were Super Duty’s pullin’
Deliverin’ the goods.
When way down the street
There rose such a clatter
All the V10 owners
Had to see what was the matter
Out of his truck
He grumbled in rage
A Power Stroke owner
Had seen better days
Black smoke belched
But the beast would not start
Just sat in the drive
Like a sick old fart
The V10 owners
With their heads held high
Said, “That is the reason
No Diesels we drive!”
With 10 pistons burnin’
And 4 tires turnin’
They delivered their goods
To the youngsters a yernin’
On Crew Cab, on Super,
And Regular Cab too,
We’ll take care of Christmas
When the sick diesels won’t do
So when Chritsmas is close
And the children all hope
Don’t try to depend
On a sick Power Stroke
To deliver the goods
And make the kids smile
Get a V10
And count down the miles
v10s suck nutts! they get what?.. like 3mpg towing. haha see you at the pump

rmarion
12-23-2006, 08:21 PM
thedieselstop.com
get all the correct info here

little rowe boat
12-23-2006, 10:42 PM
That's funny. Heard that from several people and never understood it. I've owned them all, and the only one that never gave me any issues was an 04 Dodge/Cummins with a 6 spd. That thing had by far the most bulletproof motor and trans of anything out there. Axles and suspension were super stout as well. Overall engineering and packaging was way above Ford and GM if you care about wrenching on your own stuff. Currently driving an 04 Ford diesel, but only because the Excursion is the only big SUV with a diesel and I need the interior room. It's nice, but the POS has given me plenty of problems ever since I got it. If Dodge made an SUV with the Cummins there'd be one in my driveway. "Ford makes the only true work trucks", ha ha what a joke!
:devil:
Whats a joke is Dodge, the only thing decent about dodge is the Cummins, other than that they are junk.
Fact Ford trucks out sell all others 20 yrs and counting.

thom
12-24-2006, 12:10 AM
I HAVE A 2003 f250 with the 7.3 ... replaced the batteries and altenator at 175k and no other problems.. she now has 205,000 the old 7.3 has been bullet proof for me

HammerDown
12-24-2006, 04:42 AM
Only problem with the 08's....there is a hypothetical wait time of several months.....the bump for the single, two stage turbo Diesel motor is $6k. I priced one about two weeks ago at just over $60k. That would be a no.
....I would agree about the "no" part also.

blown65
12-24-2006, 09:53 AM
....I would agree about the "no" part also.
dunno bout the 60k+ price
Our order was fully loaded F450 King Ranch. Pretty much every option for 55k. For that type of truck, you wont get it in a gm unless you get the POS Topkick.

NashvilleBound
12-24-2006, 01:33 PM
Our order was fully loaded F450 King Ranch. Pretty much every option for 55k. For that type of truck, you wont get it in a gm unless you get the POS Topkick.
Navigation? The new supper whammy stereo? (think thats what they are calling it) It was right at $60. That wasnt even with the registration(love this part) $65.00......but the sales tax IS a killer here at 9.75% At least its only once.

blown65
12-24-2006, 02:32 PM
Navigation? The new supper whammy stereo? (think thats what they are calling it) It was right at $60. That wasnt even with the registration(love this part) $65.00......but the sales tax IS a killer here at 9.75% At least its only once.
yup, nav, traction ctrl, sunroof, quad captain chairs. everything. Sticker was 62, but after neg it was 55. no sales tax for us. (Oregon)
I guess the 60+ was right though, just you should be able to deal down.

Baja Big Dog
12-24-2006, 03:20 PM
IM a Ford *****, but a buddy showed up last night with a new Dodge...WOW that Mega cab is a real cool deal.... Leather 4 door 5.9 automatic, but it only came in a short bed...40k...I want one!!!
Neibhor shows and throws in his 2 cents worth...claims the dodge is down on H.P. ...talking out of his ass, H.P the same as the Ford and the torque is 40lbs higher! 9 grand cheaper!!!!

NashvilleBound
12-24-2006, 03:34 PM
yup, nav, traction ctrl, sunroof, quad captain chairs. everything. Sticker was 62, but after neg it was 55. no sales tax for us. (Oregon)
I guess the 60+ was right though, just you should be able to deal down.
Price wasnt really the problem it was more that no one will give a firm date yet. They are forecasting 3-4 months for orders. And, the price for diesel right now is lame at $.40 more per gallon. The new Denali SUV is $60k and has way more hp and torque...smoooooooth, quiet....... Im getting soft in my old age;)

blown65
12-24-2006, 07:20 PM
Price wasnt really the problem it was more that no one will give a firm date yet. They are forecasting 3-4 months for orders. And, the price for diesel right now is lame at $.40 more per gallon. The new Denali SUV is $60k and has way more hp and torque...smoooooooth, quiet....... Im getting soft in my old age;)
Ya, but I need something that can tow heavy, and the Denali isnt it. We have a stacker car trailer that will be pushin 18-20k tag. (depending on whats inside :) )

Trailer Park Casanova
12-24-2006, 07:23 PM
IM a Ford *****, but a buddy showed up last night with a new Dodge...WOW that Mega cab is a real cool deal.... Leather 4 door 5.9 automatic, but it only came in a short bed...40k...I want one!!!
Neibhor shows and throws in his 2 cents worth...claims the dodge is down on H.P. ...talking out of his ass, H.P the same as the Ford and the torque is 40lbs higher! 9 grand cheaper!!!!
Transmission is the big weak point with Dodge,, and really poor dealer service IMHO.

Wheeler
12-24-2006, 08:38 PM
You cannot beat a Ford truck, there is a reason they are the #1 selling for the past 20 years.
Twenty years, how about 28 and counting! not to mention, the F-150 is the worlds best selling vehicle! Chevy's are ok, pick up the kids from soccer and such, but when work needs to be done, count on a Ford! Me I am retired, my next truck, might be a chevy, now that I don't work.

Zaairman
12-24-2006, 11:24 PM
Chevys just don't seem to hold up to me. Ever hear of tons of high mileage Duramaxes like you do Cummins and PSDs? Nope. I rode in a Chevy 1500 yesterday. It had the EXACT (I've got 115K, he's at 114K) same mileage as my truck. Our trucks were set up the same, same size tires, I think the same gears, etc etc. Not sure of the motor. The Chevy just didn't feel as solid. It felt like the motor was cutting out, or down on power at times. Also, the 4wd had a mind of its own. It would decide to try and engage whenever it would feel like. :eek:

blownrat
12-25-2006, 05:54 AM
i tow 10.000 pd 5th wheel,with 3500 pd boat new 06 f350 20.000 miles so far no issures, love the truck and the way it pulls

Trailer Park Casanova
12-25-2006, 06:04 AM
The '08 F450 is an entirely new truck.
Expect $65K+ asking prices from Ford.
23.500 lb towing, and some interesting innovations.
The yet-another-new-trans is a question mark to us.
The motor will probably be OK.
We'll consider one, but not at that price.
The GM top Kick is one butt ugly truck. Ridiculous.
GM strong points:
Brakes (100 k on our orig pads).
Trans
Engine

NashvilleBound
12-25-2006, 06:14 AM
I would buy another Frightliner 120 for the money. We have a crewcab with a 25k stereo/audio system that is comfy to say the least. Pulls doubles up the grapevine at 75.
GM strong points:
Trans
Engine

blown65
12-25-2006, 11:27 AM
GM strong points:
Trans
Engine
You forgot the GM weak point. 9 months ownership, 4 months in the shop. :rolleyes: (and not topkick directly related either. Engine, xfer case and rearend issues.)

EAZYKILLER2006
12-25-2006, 12:48 PM
YEP I HEAR YA ...I MIGHT HAVE TO GET ONE OF THEM ALSO...post a pic! ...i think i will wait till july, TO get something... still thinking about an escalade...the 07 are nice...

Baja Big Dog
12-25-2006, 01:32 PM
Horsepowr schmorsepower, find me a Danali with 200-300k miles on it. You may not drive it that long but it will make a lot more resale value than the danali!!!!
Diesel may be 18% higher, but the milage would be about 16% better, look at the big picture and you will bet the diesel.:) :sqeyes:

NashvilleBound
12-25-2006, 01:49 PM
Horsepowr schmorsepower, find me a Danali with 200-300k miles on it. You may not drive it that long but it will make a lot more resale value than the danali!!!!
Diesel may be 18% higher, but the milage would be about 16% better, look at the big picture and you will bet the diesel.:) :sqeyes:
I have not thrown it out the window....by the time my truck sells...which might be never....I will make up my mind. Hopefully by then Ford will have something on the road so i can get a clear picture of whats really going on time wise.

FreshTracks
12-26-2006, 11:13 AM
one of my very good customers picked up his 06 f250 6.0. last week from a dealership here in orange. he got it with a 6 inch lift kit. he brought it to me with 300 miles on it. we put the banks 6 gun system,power pda,turbo back and intake on it, mag hytec trans pan. then he picks up his new full throttle weekend warrior and off to pismo beach, that was on tuesday.and as of thurs its at the ford dealer in san luis with a rear main seal leaking......700 miles total on the truck.
GEE... I wonder why the main seal was leaking? Must be a factory defect, no way it could be the modifications that FAR exceed the factory tolerances...

H20 Toie
12-26-2006, 11:52 AM
GEE... I wonder why the main seal was leaking? Must be a factory defect, no way it could be the modifications that FAR exceed the factory tolerances...
Plus if he is towing a WW full throttle isn't he over the towing cap of a F250?

Zaairman
12-26-2006, 01:08 PM
Plus if he is towing a WW full throttle isn't he over the towing cap of a F250?
Yes but it's still Ford's fault. :rolleyes:

wright27
12-26-2006, 01:21 PM
I had a 05 Ford and a 06 GMC both good trucks. I have had lemons from both companies. So I say buy the body style you love the most. Although I do prefer the power of the Duramax.