PDA

View Full Version : Rhino Rims & Tires, Help

ParkerRat
12-26-2006, 10:12 AM
I know there have already been a million threads on this but I searched for an hour through the old threads and could not find any. I am supposed to meet up with someone today to buy these rims and tire for $800. I am hoping someone can tell me if this is a good deal. I do about 50% of my riding in Ocotillo and the other 50% in Glamis. I am thinking if I buy these I will need a second, lighter set for the Dunes. Anybody have any advice? Thanks
"Six 27x8.5 R14 BFG ATS on new wheels. Tires are 99%. Wheels are perfect. Wheels bought from Dragon Fire Racing. Paid over $1500 sell for $1000obo..need to get rid of. Also have stock rhino suspension, axels, seats, radiator, ect... call "

Cole Trickle
12-26-2006, 10:18 AM
Post a link to pictures.
I would avoid a 27" tire due to rubbing and how much power it will rob from you.(Gearing)
Everyone is sticking with 25" tires now.
If they were real beadlocks with the right tires that would be a good deal.(I would probably pass)
I just got some Douglas Rockstars and ITP mudlights (mounted but un used) for $450.00 odd a guy on Dlamis dunes.They were used but brand new.

djunkie
12-26-2006, 10:19 AM
27's are gonna kill a lot of power. Do you plan on doing a lot of street driving? If not I'd go with Terra crosses or Big horns and stay with 25" or 26". I ordered my wheels and tires from this place and had them shipped to my door for a lot cheaper than $800. http://www.rockymountainatv.com/categoryDetail.do;jsessionid=E707FF24EC2C3C015A522 FBEF8A8306F.webrmatv?navTitle=Tires+and+Wheels&webCatId=8&navType=category

sigepmock
12-26-2006, 10:44 AM
I agree with these two knuckleheads.... :)
Stick with a 25 or 26" tire. I looked into the BFG A/T set-up and everyone I talked to that had them was selling them. Only the hard core desert racers are still running them and most have extensive power and clutch mods to handle them.
The ITP Terracross or Maxxis Bighorn are a good all around tires for hard pack and the ocassional sand runs. Bead locks are cool but not necessary.
Good luck,
Chris

ParkerRat
12-26-2006, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the advice, can anyone reccomend a good offset on the rims?

sigepmock
12-26-2006, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the advice, can anyone reccomend a good offset on the rims?
Stock is 5" + 2", the offset most are running is a 2" + 5" .....2 inches in from the mounting surface and then 5" outward. This is the offset to run to the wider stance with out running wheel spacers. Good safe thing to do....only down side is fitting in the bed of a truck...it get's tight and if you ever do a long travel you'll need to go back to a stock offset.
Good luck,
Chris
Should be able to get yourself a tires and rims for around $600 to $700 new. I like the 12" rim and 25" tire combo. Good sidewall protection against those rocks that sneak up on you and the 25" tire doesn't rob power. 14" rims look cool but less sidewall opens you up to the possibility of more blown tires or poped beads.
Jason at Rancho Motorsports has wheels and tires in stock and will hook you $$ wise, also Todd's boys at R&R in Havasu can get you good deals too. Rancho motorsports is in Ontario near the 10 and 15 fwy interchange. (909) 390-9722

Froggystyle
12-26-2006, 02:24 PM
I'll buy them right now for $800.
I have them on my Rhino with completely stock power and clutch and I am beyond impressed. They are twice as durable if you really go off road with it and the sidewalls are a lot stronger. With the weight of the Rhino they actually are able to be run flat with no problems.
I air down to 18 pounds with them no problem too. They look a lot cooler than anything else too. Plus, they are tons better for actual street use.
Figure the tires are $500 for the set and the wheels are probably another $500 or so with the tires mounted. Problem is, you can't get the tires right now... everyone with a Rhino is buying them up!
Perfect tire/wheel combo for OW in my opinion. I am running them with zero dramas.

sigepmock
12-26-2006, 02:33 PM
I'll buy them right now for $800.
I have them on my Rhino with completely stock power and clutch and I am beyond impressed. They are twice as durable if you really go off road with it and the sidewalls are a lot stronger. With the weight of the Rhino they actually are able to be run flat with no problems.
I air down to 18 pounds with them no problem too. They look a lot cooler than anything else too. Plus, they are tons better for actual street use.
Figure the tires are $500 for the set and the wheels are probably another $500 or so with the tires mounted. Problem is, you can't get the tires right now... everyone with a Rhino is buying them up!
Perfect tire/wheel combo for OW in my opinion. I am running them with zero dramas.
We're gonna have to run the Rhino together some time Wes... :) I've got a very similar long travel and I'd love to see how the tires work for you. I've heard nothing but bad reviews myself. Now if Toyo or BFG would make a 26" tire that was light enough I'd be all over it.
Any idea how heavy your wheel and tire combo is? I'd be curious to see a lb for lb comparison of the BFG A/T vs. a Bighorn or Terra Cross.
Chris

Froggystyle
12-26-2006, 02:44 PM
We're gonna have to run the Rhino together some time Wes... :) I've got a very similar long travel and I'd love to see how the tires work for you. I've heard nothing but bad reviews myself. Now if Toyo or BFG would make a 26" tire that was light enough I'd be all over it.
Any idea how heavy your wheel and tire combo is? I'd be curious to see a lb for lb comparison of the BFG A/T vs. a Bighorn or Terra Cross.
Chris
My stock ones weighed 22# each and the new ones with 14" wheels and the 27.5" tires are 48# each. You can feel it for sure, but it is also faster on the top end, rolls over stuff with much greater ease and all of that additional weight is spent in plies of durability and stiff sidewalls. This thing smooshes a lot better than ATV tires, and resists sidewall punctures a million times better. Not as aggressive a tread, but I haven't gotten stuck in it yet.
If I was doing sand, I would have paddles. For dirt, I don't think it gets better than the BFG's.
There is a reason racers are using them. They are durable and work better.
As for the power loss... I am fixing that as well... ;)

djunkie
12-26-2006, 02:48 PM
My stock ones weighed 22# each and the new ones with 14" wheels and the 27.5" tires are 48# each. You can feel it for sure, but it is also faster on the top end, rolls over stuff with much greater ease and all of that additional weight is spent in plies of durability and stiff sidewalls. This thing smooshes a lot better than ATV tires, and resists sidewall punctures a million times better. Not as aggressive a tread, but I haven't gotten stuck in it yet.
If I was doing sand, I would have paddles. For dirt, I don't think it gets better than the BFG's.
Last I read was, racers were ditching them cause they're too big and heavy. Also paddles aren't that great on these in the sand. Research has shown 25" 489's seem to work the best. Yes even better than paddles.

Cole Trickle
12-26-2006, 02:50 PM
26lbs of rotating mass is a ton.... Like Chris said if I ran 90% on the street or hard pack and they offered a 26" tire I might consider it.
I would wager that your rhino with a basic 686 kit would perform as well power wise as mocks with boltons.
You need to come out and play with us so you can test it side by side with other similar equipped rhinos.

sigepmock
12-26-2006, 02:53 PM
Just got the 25" 489's mounted up, we'll see how they do in the sand this weekend.
I still need to find a good A/T tire for havasu next summer. The 26" mudlights I had didn't survive one summer of mixed street and offroad use. I'm leaning towards the Maxxis Big Horns, maybe someone will have something better by March :)
Thanks for the weight info Wes. That's too much weight for me...I like the added strength and durability of the BFG but that's too much unsprung weight for my liking.
Chris

sigepmock
12-26-2006, 02:54 PM
give tracy (rossman) a call over at "select race tires" 866-702-1711 (his website is down for some reason) ..... but give him a holla, he's the rhino tire guru .... makes his own bead locks and carries all kinds of rubber :eek: and glenn-g (hdd) is running them on his race rhino :D
Well if HDD actually ever finishes a race ....maybe we'll have to try those tires out :D

sigepmock
12-26-2006, 03:07 PM
the tires & wheels "are-not" the problem glenn-g's been having lately :idea: , it's been all of the other "nine-ballz" (motor & suspension) that have been working on his "sled" :eek: you wait, he'll get it figured out, then he'll be romping :devil: keyes
I know...just like giving him a hard time. When it runs...that Rhino ish thing of his is bada$$! Definitely nicer than mine.

Froggystyle
12-27-2006, 08:35 AM
Just got the 25" 489's mounted up, we'll see how they do in the sand this weekend.
I still need to find a good A/T tire for havasu next summer. The 26" mudlights I had didn't survive one summer of mixed street and offroad use. I'm leaning towards the Maxxis Big Horns, maybe someone will have something better by March :)
Thanks for the weight info Wes. That's too much weight for me...I like the added strength and durability of the BFG but that's too much unsprung weight for my liking.
Chris
What did the 25" 489's weigh each? Or the 26" Mudlights?

Froggystyle
12-27-2006, 08:39 AM
I would wager that your rhino with a basic 686 kit would perform as well power wise as mocks with boltons.
You need to come out and play with us so you can test it side by side with other similar equipped rhinos.
Why would I do that? If it is sluggish and I don't know it, who cares? :D
Whatever it lost in acceleration or perceived performance it gained in ride quality and durability. If I lost anything, I will get it back, but I can't tell personally.
Granted it is unsprung weight, which is a bad deal, but nobody else is popping in with weights for their larger combinations. Plus, I have better ground clearance, better top end effective gearing and it looks bad ass. The only thing I wish it did was go faster for longer. Make this thing go over 60 and I will be happy... and probably really happy I have real tires under it instead of ATV tires.

Magic34
12-27-2006, 09:03 AM
Do not get the 27" tires!!!!!! It will get stuck climbing most dunes! For the street or hardpack 27s are OK, but in the dunes, you could have a Rhino with CDI box and exhaust, and a stock rhino will pass you with 25s.
I can get you wheels and tires for $775 plus shipping from AZ today. My buddy owns a shop and has some in stock. They are ITP SS wheels and ITP Terra Cross Tires 26".

sigepmock
12-27-2006, 09:12 AM
What did the 25" 489's weigh each? Or the 26" Mudlights?
I didn't get a chance to weigh them last night but the mudlites were pretty heavy.....When I picked up the tires from being mounted I was pretty shocked when I picked up the mudlite by itself and it felt as heavy as the 489 mounted on the rim....:jawdrop: Never realized how heavy the mudlites were. I would guess the rims I have now with the 489's are lighter than the stock SE wheels and tires or very close in weight. I'll know this weekend how much difference the weight makes and how well the 489's do in the sand. I'll report back. I'll also weigh one of my tires and wheels tonight if I get a chance.
Don't think we are picking on you Wes....I agree the durability of the BFG is 100x better than any ATV tire out there just don't know if the benefits out weigh the disadvantages for me.
Chris

Froggystyle
12-27-2006, 12:07 PM
Well, to each his own for riding style, but I won't see the sand with this thing if I have any say about it, and all of my driving is in washes, hardpack and street.
Don't get me wrong, if they had a 26" BFG or even a 25" I would have bought it. They don't though, and the smallest DOT tire I could find that was for off-road use was the BFG 27".
To me, the advantages hugely outweigh the disadvantages. I wouldn't call my Rhino sluggish or underpowered though, and like I said, if I was going duning I would probably put different tires on it. With all of this expense already invested, why not have two sets of rims and tires?
The way I justify it is knowing that I have a set of the stock tires and wheels in my garage. If I wanted to use them... there they are.

house
12-27-2006, 12:15 PM
Stock is 5" + 2", the offset most are running is a 2" + 5" .....2 inches in from the mounting surface and then 5" outward. This is the offset to run to the wider stance with out running wheel spacers. Good safe thing to do....only down side is fitting in the bed of a truck...it get's tight and if you ever do a long travel you'll need to go back to a stock offset.
Good luck,
Chris
Should be able to get yourself a tires and rims for around $600 to $700 new. I like the 12" rim and 25" tire combo. Good sidewall protection against those rocks that sneak up on you and the 25" tire doesn't rob power. 14" rims look cool but less sidewall opens you up to the possibility of more blown tires or poped beads.
Jason at Rancho Motorsports has wheels and tires in stock and will hook you $$ wise, also Todd's boys at R&R in Havasu can get you good deals too. Rancho motorsports is in Ontario near the 10 and 15 fwy interchange. (909) 390-9722
Jason at Rancho is a great guy. I bought my 14" ITP's with Mudlites from him. He gives smokin deals and is trust worthy. I live in the OC and made the drive. Definitely worth it! (Thanks for the recommendation Chris!)

sigepmock
12-27-2006, 12:23 PM
Fair enough Wes. I have been hearing a rumor of Toyo or Nitto coming out with a Sisde by Side specific tire but we'll see. I'd love a 25" or 26" Toyo A/T:D
House ....Glad Jason took care of you. He's a good guy and I think the only reason he's selling the Rhino stuff is to get better pricing for his own Rhino :D

Froggystyle
12-27-2006, 12:50 PM
Fair enough Wes. I have been hearing a rumor of Toyo or Nitto coming out with a Sisde by Side specific tire but we'll see. I'd love a 25" or 26" Toyo A/T:D
There is certainly a market for it. I would probably buy them if they did...
I prefer BFG's though... I just like the brand a lot.

boatnam3
12-27-2006, 02:49 PM
House ....Glad Jason took care of you. He's a good guy and I think the only reason he's selling the Rhino stuff is to get better pricing for his own Rhino :D
planned on going to see him today,but it looks like yamaha is going to screw me on the promised delivery date on the rhino.....so no reason to have seats and other items taking up space in the garage with nothing to put them on....i hate when salesmen talk out of there ass cruised by today to see if was going to come in,ofcourse my salesman wasnt there and the one that was is acting like he knows nothing about a shipment.