PDA

View Full Version : Duratec on black gel coat

BrendellaJet
12-26-2006, 11:02 AM
I sprayed some black gel coat on the floor of my boat. Its been sanded and has a very matte finish. I didn't spray enough to go through the entire sanding/polishing process. If I spray some duratec over it will it be shiny black? Im pretty sure it will(when its wet it is shiny), but I want to make sure it is before I buy it...

BrendellaJet
12-26-2006, 12:03 PM
40 views and not one post?

Sangster
12-26-2006, 12:12 PM
Sure will.... Probally take a gallon or so...Might be jest as easy to use Duratech Black Hi-Gloss, it flows jest as nice if not better than the Clear Top Coat and will leave a very High Gloss Finish...

Morg
12-26-2006, 12:17 PM
I sanded with a DA sander & I think 80 grit before we cleared the floors of my boat.
Use soap & water to clean out the entire boat before spraying the clear. Rinse & dry thuroughly.
If you need to add any black use the high gloss black duratec.
I know nothing about gel. I just don't know about adhering to the duratec. I would talk to duratec to be sure.

BrendellaJet
12-26-2006, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the responses, that should do. I know that people use the duratec with gel, so Im not worried about compatibility.
Also, Im thinking I can get a way with a quart. Im just spraying the transom, and the bilge/stringers for about 4 feet. This aint a v drive, so I can have carpet:D

Morg
12-26-2006, 03:09 PM
You will be surpsised how much you will use.
We used a gallon of clear.
2 quarts for just the black.
Sucks to run out while spraying.

wsuwrhr
12-26-2006, 03:20 PM
What really sucks is when you are spraying gel on a hot day and it sets up in the gun.
Brian

Kurtis500
12-26-2006, 04:26 PM
Its been sanded and has a very matte finish...
Are you saying the woven cloth pattern is on the surface?
A black gel will shine up nicely. One layer of unreinforced resin is better than two.
If you want the black gel to flow better you can thin a little with styrene. If you want it thinner, add some acetone to it and spray thinner coats to allow for evaporation. Sorta like lacquer.

BrendellaJet
12-26-2006, 04:38 PM
A black gel will shine up nicely. One layer of unreinforced resin is better than two.
If you want the black gel to flow better you can thin a little with styrene. If you want it thinner, add some acetone to it and spray thinner coats to allow for evaporation. Sorta like lacquer.
Nope, its just been sanded, no cloth exposed.

BrendellaJet
12-26-2006, 04:40 PM
Morg your boat is off the hook. Looks like I will need two quarts...

EXTREMEBOATS
12-30-2006, 12:38 AM
How true... most all the cracks on the floor in older boats has to due with the build up of resin when flow coating. I do my best to block sand off the excess and level the surface. And to richen the shine and depth top it with three coats of urathane clear. Then color sand and buff. Its lots of work but its worth it. JMO
Mike

victorfb
01-19-2007, 11:48 PM
all good tips, just make sure to only add the styrene to the final coat unless you plan to sand and re-spray.