PDA

View Full Version : XBOX or PS3 ???

Sangerdude
12-26-2006, 03:42 PM
Which is the best and why? (assuming you can get a PS3...)

Redwing247
12-26-2006, 03:50 PM
PS3, especially with a 1080p tv :D

revndave
12-26-2006, 04:14 PM
I bought a PS3.But I have a bunch of PS2 games.

That Guy
12-26-2006, 04:32 PM
Just got the x-box 360...pretty amazing if you ask me....not at all a hard core gamer...but great graphics and you can find one to buy....:D :D

Froggystyle
12-26-2006, 04:35 PM
I have a 360 and frankly don't know the difference. From what I understand, the PS3 is just now catching Sony up with the XBox 360 with the PS3. The Wii seems really cool, but probably gimicky. If that input idea ends up working out and you can really swing for golf and play tennis with skill, that will be bad ass and I will probably get one. Until then, the 360 is pretty much twice the system I would ever need for gaming.
PS... if you have an XBox 360... get "Gears of War". Pretty much the hardest, hardcore first person shooter you will ever find.
Nutso... Your gun has a chainsaw for a bayonet.

beever_retreever
12-26-2006, 05:02 PM
PS3, especially with a 1080p tv :D
Not trying to threadcrap, but I think current PS3 and XBOX 360 games only play at 720p. Just want to clarify.

boatsnblondes
12-26-2006, 05:17 PM
I have a 360 and have been sitting here playing Gears of War all day...this is the post holiday do NOTHING day. Am having a blast and getting my ass handed to me at the same time. To me, the PS3 will be a consideration after more titles get released. The only reason I can see right now to get it is if you are looking for a Blu ray player. Sony built it into the PS3 platform as a marketing tool to try to sell a few more boxes. In comparison, if you were to try to go out and find a stand alone Blu Ray machine, the new sony machine is on Ebay for about 900, and the Pioneer Elite is about 1500...(My choice, if I was gonna do it.) that said, Xbox on the other hand, came out with a stand alone HD-DVD player for about 200 that jjust simply plugs into your Xbox and your ready to go. You will need to download some software for it, not to worry, the disk is in the box. Back to the PS3 vs. XBOX question, for the moment, XBOX is nice, but as more titles come out for the two platforms, it will be interesting to see who comes out of top....there are a LOT of great games coming out this year (2007) for Xbox, if you are not playing gears of war, you need to be. Halo 3 is due out summer 2007 also...of course, the best of both worlds is to have a high power gaming rig computer, and a high power console...right now, I have that. But Xbox is just plain fun.....hope this helps..I know it's long....let me know if you want to know anything else.....:D

Tom Brown
12-26-2006, 05:24 PM
What a bunch of nerds... :D

boatsnblondes
12-26-2006, 05:27 PM
What a bunch of nerds... :D
Coming from a guy who was all over the Wii machine a couple weeks ago, that IS funny....I found the Wii to be a little too far back of the curve Tom, sorry. :D

Tom Brown
12-26-2006, 05:34 PM
I was enjoying the Wii yesterday. :)
I like the Xbox 360 too so I won't ride you about that. :cool:

boatsnblondes
12-26-2006, 05:48 PM
Not sure you could Tom, while the Xbox is nice....I'll take an Athlon FX53 based gaming rig all day long. Blow the doors off it. As good as these consoles are, they are in the stone ages compared to computers....especially on the graphics side of the house.....

Tom Brown
12-26-2006, 05:53 PM
A half billion polygons per second is the stone age to you? Are you high?

boatsnblondes
12-26-2006, 05:59 PM
Take them and throw them up against a couple of tandem Geforce 8800's and yes, they are in the stone age...sorry to burst your bubble bro..always been like that...thats why Bill Gates came out with the Xbox, because it has a chip and a graphics card in it..just like a computer...I remember when the specs came out for the first xbox..how people lamented that the thing was gonna be a generation old technology before it hit the shelves....I use a Geforce 6800, and it is faster than anything you have...trust me..oh, and clearer also....bang..that sound was your bubble bursting.

Tom Brown
12-26-2006, 06:14 PM
Take them and throw them up against a couple of tandem Geforce 8800's and yes, they are in the stone age...
Perhaps your dual 8800 setup is working fine in SLI mode but none of the rest of us on the nVidia forums seem to be able to get it functioning as of yet.
sorry to burst your bubble bro..
Not at all. Go ahead and put me in my place. :D
I use a Geforce 6800, and it is faster than anything you have...trust me..oh, and clearer also....bang..that sound was your bubble bursting.
I wish I could trust you but you don't seem to have a clue. lol!
Personally, I'll pass on nVidia and their buggy driver of the week. My understanding, and this comes from nVidia, is some SLI modes aren't going to work with the current silicone, either.
Let's see how smart you are a month from now when nVidia has to recall the G80 series of GPUs for non conformance to their advertised specifications.
BANG! :D :D :D

boatsnblondes
12-26-2006, 06:28 PM
Oh?? funny, mine works fine, no problems, ever. Funny, no one else seems to be having probles matching them up, at least not from what I have read....as far as Nvidia is concerned, I'll stick with them for the moment, till the next gen comes out in the next couple of months.....

boatsnblondes
12-26-2006, 06:30 PM
And whoever said I had a set of dual 8800's?? not me....I just said that they were being used in tandem....I said I have a 6800, and it works far better than any console I have yet....I used that a referance point about the power available to PC folks vs. console folks....

Tom Brown
12-26-2006, 06:38 PM
Your bursting my bubble with a 6800? Come on man, at least step up to the GTs. It's not like I'm running a Hercules MGA over here. :D
If you're going to play the big man and throw down on people, it would help if you were bigger than the rest of us. :D :D :D

Huckleberry
12-26-2006, 08:45 PM
Believe it or not, I ended up with an extra 20GB PS3. It is still new in the unopened box. If interested pm me.

Nord
12-26-2006, 08:54 PM
The playstation 3 is now in stock at a bunch of places 60g and 20g. I have the ps3 and my buddy has the xbox360. They are both very good! I think the ps3 is awesome. It is the only Blue Ray player for less than a grand and yes it does play at 1080p so whoever said it didn't was pulling your leg. The Blue Ray technology is going to be a battle like Beta VS. VHS. Only time will tell which will stick.
Do a google search on blue ray and get educated. The games have the same technology. Anyhow, the 360 does have more games since it was released over a year ago.
BTW shelf life on these 2 systems are expected 10 years min.!!!
~NORD~

SHAKEN Not Stirred
12-26-2006, 09:22 PM
We purchased a X360 a few months ago......Prior to the PS3 coming out.....
I watched a couple games on a PS3 and really couldn't see any difference...
My son loves it.....There does appear to be a better game selection.....
Later,
CJG
:D

Redwing247
12-26-2006, 10:13 PM
Not trying to threadcrap, but I think current PS3 and XBOX 360 games only play at 720p. Just want to clarify.
PS3 is capable of playing 1080p is you have the tv and hd cable connection.
Those of you who play driving/racing game will be please when the F1 game comes out in early 07. As for shooting game, Call of Duty 3 is also very good.

boatsnblondes
12-26-2006, 10:33 PM
Your bursting my bubble with a 6800? Come on man, at least step up to the GTs. It's not like I'm running a Hercules MGA over here. :D
If you're going to play the big man and throw down on people, it would help if you were bigger than the rest of us. :D :D :D
Not throwin down Tom, and I never said I was "bigger" than you guys, just that I never met a console that could outrun a PC.....as for the diff between my very hot 6800 and a 8800, I don't thnink I would notice the difference too much, but I have heard the linked 88's are screamin fast, both quality and framerate wise.....:idea:

Froggystyle
12-27-2006, 08:20 AM
Not throwin down Tom, and I never said I was "bigger" than you guys, just that I never met a console that could outrun a PC.....as for the diff between my very hot 6800 and a 8800, I don't thnink I would notice the difference too much, but I have heard the linked 88's are screamin fast, both quality and framerate wise.....:idea:
I haven't seen a computer graphics card that had better resolution on a 65" HD TV yet... Maybe it is out there and I don't know about it, but I would way rather play on my TV than my computer.
I have Call of Duty 3 too. I got it along with Gears of War and only made it through a couple of levels before switching over to GOW for a try... it hasn't been back in since!
I hate work when it is raining...

TRIMM MANN
12-27-2006, 09:10 AM
While we are on the subject. I have a PS3 and my TV only has one HDMI input. Does Sony make a cable that plugs into the back of the PS3 that I can connect to my component input of the TV so I can view in HD?

boatsnblondes
12-27-2006, 09:15 AM
The main difference between the two consoles, in my opinion are. (And not counting BnB and Toms hijacking issues) The 360 is geared to the older gamer. More first person shooters etc... Where the PSanything is suited more for the family with a very wide range of games.
Now, about that PC vs Console debate. I'll take gaming from my recliner in the family room over sitting at a desk any day.,
Forensic, that would be great, except that the new recievers are coming out with hookups for computers, and people have been able to do just that for years now. Froggy, glad you like GOW, here is a great walkthrough, in case you get stuck....
http://www.mycheats.com/view/section/2394/18939/gears_of_war/xbox_360

Jyruiz
12-27-2006, 09:18 AM
While we are on the subject. I have a PS3 and my TV only has one HDMI input. Does Sony make a cable that plugs into the back of the PS3 that I can connect to my component input of the TV so I can view in HD?
I don't know if Sony makes something like that because of the copyright issues, but you can get and HDMI switcher. Also, if your TV has a DVI input, you can get a HDMI to DVI cable and go that route.

boatsnblondes
12-27-2006, 09:26 AM
Trimm man, PS3 is still a bit new, but it should not be long before you see that cable, monster is usually pretty good at getting those out. Just need to give them a bit of time, it'll be out. If it's not already....:)

boatsnblondes
12-27-2006, 09:29 AM
Trimm Man, it is out, here is a link to get one on line, or try Circuit City and those types of places....here ya go....
http://www.projectorscreenstore.com/Playstation-3-HDMI-Cables-s/734.htm?OVRAW=PS3%20HDMI%20cable&OVKEY=ps3%20hd
Hope this helps.....

TRIMM MANN
12-27-2006, 09:46 AM
Thanks Guys,
My TV has one DVI input which I am using for my HD Satellite receiver. I will try Circuit City. They should have one with a component hookup. That will also be HD.