PDA

View Full Version : Question for all you cooks..........

barbigrl
12-26-2006, 04:41 PM
So I am in the market for a nice set of pots and pans.....I want something that is going to last a long time if I am going to spend the money....
So what is the difference between teflon, Hard-Annodized and Porclian (sp?) enamel??????
Teflon gives ya cancer right???

h2oski2fast
12-26-2006, 04:45 PM
Haha, I so see this thread going downhill fast!:D :D :D

Jordy
12-26-2006, 04:47 PM
Ya think??? :D :D :D
Hey BG, what color is your kitchen??? :idea:

barbigrl
12-26-2006, 04:50 PM
Ya think??? :D :D :D
Hey BG, what color is your kitchen??? :idea:
As I was writing this post.....I was thinking to myself....."I bet Jordy is going to make an appearance"
So predictable!! HAHAA.....:D
I have no specific color theme..... I am afraid to ask why....... :)

barbigrl
12-26-2006, 04:51 PM
ANSWER THE DAM QUESTION D!!!!

Jordy
12-26-2006, 04:52 PM
I have no specific color theme..... I am afraid to ask why....... :)
With no color scheme, I'd go with a neutral kind of colored pot seeing how you change apartments almost as often as you change jobs. Besides, we all know you're really not going to cook with them, and they're more of just an eye pleaser so I'd worry more about the color!!! :D :D :D

barbigrl
12-26-2006, 04:54 PM
With no color scheme, I'd go with a neutral kind of colored pot seeing how you change apartments almost as often as you change jobs. Besides, we all know you're really not going to cook with them, and they're more of just an eye pleaser so I'd worry more about the color!!! :D :D :D
Hahahaa mother f-er!!! You make a good point as to the job and apartment change....(speaking of, I just started another job last week :D )
I REALLY DO COOK!!!!

Jordy
12-26-2006, 04:56 PM
Hahahaa mother f-er!!! You make a good point as to the job and apartment change....(speaking of, I just started another job last week :D )
Yeah, why do you think I posted what I did??? :notam:
I REALLY DO COOK!!!!
Burning water doesn't count. :jawdrop: :D

Ziggy
12-26-2006, 04:56 PM
I'd recommend the stainless ones you hang from the overhead rack, they look cool and stay clean when not intended for use. Gives the kitchen that real neato industrial appearance.
:D

barbigrl
12-26-2006, 04:59 PM
Ok people....I know its hard to imagine me actually cooking something other than water......but focus on the question!!!! If it helps pretend I am asking because I am buying a gift for someone. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

boatsnblondes
12-26-2006, 04:59 PM
Barbi, I'll be your first serious answer....we use All clad....great stuff, but all stainless, you can get it from Williams Sonoma, cooks food great, and cleans easy...just remember to use a sponge ONLY, and warm water.....hope this helps....

wildbillg
12-26-2006, 05:01 PM
If you want to buy some good cookware, Do yourself a favor and just buy ONLY stainless steel with NO coatings on it, No teflon no Cafalon, just buy something like this
http://www.chefscatalog.com/catalog/product.aspx?brand=Cuisinart+Cookware&productline=Stainless+Steel+Cookware&item=21999
Stainless steel is easy to clean and will last you forever if you take care of it. There are differnt grades of cookware, just clean it when your done..

barbigrl
12-26-2006, 05:01 PM
Barbi, I'll be your first serious answer....we use All clad....great stuff, but all stainless, you can get it from Williams Sonoma, cooks food great, and cleans easy...just remember to use a sponge ONLY, and warm water.....hope this helps....
Thank you!! I will check em out! :)

Cole Trickle
12-26-2006, 05:02 PM
I REALLY DO COOK!!!!
LOL.....
Ummmm Enchiladas:D :eek: :devil:
FIRE...FIRE.....FIRE!!!!!

Kindsvater Flat
12-26-2006, 05:04 PM
paper plates and stoufers lasagna... can't got wrong.

DILLIGAF
12-26-2006, 05:05 PM
Just don't buy the cheap stuff Melissa. If you do you will have to replace them soon. Assuming you do use them.

bordsmnj
12-26-2006, 05:05 PM
y'all know what's gonna happen the first time she puts that stuff in the microwave.:confused:

Tom Brown
12-26-2006, 05:14 PM
Stainless steel is easy to clean and will last you forever if you take care of it. There are differnt grades of cookware, just clean it when your done..
I second the recommendation for stainless. I bought mine at Walmart and they seem every bit as good as some of the spendy my friend bought from a kitchen store. Mine cost about 80 bucks for the set, my friend's cost about 80 bucks per pot/pan.
One thing I looked for was an oven rating to 400*F. I looked for this because I wanted to cook prime rib and it needs to be baked first, prior to browning. To get the oven rating, you will probably end up getting stainless handles. Don't worry, the handles don't get hot when you're cooking.

DILLIGAF
12-26-2006, 05:16 PM
y'all know what's gonna happen the first time she puts that stuff in the microwave.:confused:
LOL

Ziggy
12-26-2006, 05:31 PM
We have T-Fal that has lasted years and still looks nice.
I do believe I mentioned Stainless earlier too :D Maybe in a slightly different context though;)

Tom Brown
12-26-2006, 05:35 PM
i like LINCOLN pots/pans
I enjoy their logs also. :cool:

NOTALENT
12-26-2006, 05:48 PM
So what are you cooking me:D and im not talkin mac n cheese or tap ramen!:devil:
Message A catered life.....once again this is his fortae (or however you spell it):idea:

SmokinLowriderSS
12-26-2006, 05:54 PM
Spend good money, and you will only spend it once, but I would spend it this way, for the following reasons.
Go teflon coated, for cleaning ability. This year it causes cancer, 10 years from now, it'll be a damn health food. Remember Nitrites and bacon? Eggs & Cholesterol? The damn health/food industry has no valid idea what is REALLY good or bad for you. Remember when trans-fat was OK because it was better than real fat? New York just banned Trans-fat.
Go aluminum, for the even-heating properties. Steel does hot-spots.
Get a heavy copper plate bottom, 1/2" thick heavy, not piddly 1/4". This both heats very well, very evenly, but also is the ONLY way I know of to keep aluminum cookware flat on the bottom. It DOES stay flat, perfectly flat.
3 years or so ago I bought a new 12" skillet, fit the above criteria, no longer available at wal-mart, long steel handle rivitted to it (never going to loosen and no hot handle issues). This is a wonderful skillet, and is still as great as it was new. I scorched it some one time hurrying 3 pounds of chilli meat one night, so the teflon is no longer perfect, but it is still solid, flat, and very easy to cook with. Just no longer as non-stick as it used to be so takes more care.
If you want steel, go with the heavy copper plate bottomed steel. it will minimize the uneven heating you will get otherwise.

RitcheyRch
12-26-2006, 06:10 PM
We have Revereware that has the copperbottom. Am guessing they are 15-20 years old and still holding up very well.

Mandelon
12-26-2006, 06:11 PM
All Clad. Stainless, Williams and Sonoma. Lifetime warranty. 11 piece set is like $700, but they will last you a lifetime, and you can be proud of them.
They come all stainless, with an aluminum core. You can go copper core but they're over $100 a pan.
They are beautiful. Like they're made from billet.

C-2
12-26-2006, 06:14 PM
I agree - riveted steel handles, non-stick. Costco has some great sets - 5 years later and the non-stick is still performing well. Riveted steel handles, remember that part.
Don't get caught up in the high-quality garb, it really doesn't matter to the average wanna-be chef. It's the skillz which seperate men from boys, not the pans.
Stainless steel pans cook nice, no doubt - but are a pain in the arse to clean. Not worth the extra elbow grease.

clownpuncher
12-26-2006, 06:21 PM
Stainless is the way to go. If you're up for it, go with All-Clad brand and their copper core. Can't go wrong. A decent set will cost ya a lot, but, you'll only buy it once.
Like said before, try to stay away from Silver Stone or any other non-stick surface. Besides being prone to scratching, non-stick flat sucks for making sauces and gravy.
Don't get anything with pretty plastic handles cuz you'll want to put the pots/pans in the oven or not worry if the handle is positioned over a burner on the stove.
If'n ya don't wanna spend the $$ on All-Clad, there are other companies that make the similar "clad" pans. "Emeril" brand somes to mind.
Points to look for............
1 No fancy plastic handles
2 Copper core
3 Stainless. It's not really hard to keep clean, and just as good as non-stick if ya do it right.
4 Don't get the glass lids. Steel only.
You might think about getting a few cast iron pieces too. Dutch oven, fry pan etc. Love cooking with iron.
Good luck
ROC

Havasu1986
12-26-2006, 06:24 PM
All Clad. Stainless, Williams and Sonoma. Lifetime warranty. 11 piece set is like $700, but they will last you a lifetime, and you can be proud of them.
They come all stainless, with an aluminum core. You can go copper core but they're over $100 a pan.
They are beautiful. Like they're made from billet.
Sorry Mandelon....but read post #10..I wish I would get a $700 gift.

C-2
12-26-2006, 06:49 PM
For all you stainless fans - tell me, how do you sear something without it being a mutha to clean? The oil alone is gonna tarnish that nice purdy finish the first time out?

riverbound
12-26-2006, 07:11 PM
LOL.....
Ummmm Enchiladas:D :eek: :devil:
FIRE...FIRE.....FIRE!!!!!
LMFAO
"good luck" ;)

Nord
12-26-2006, 08:30 PM
AHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAHAHAH!!!!
WEll done!!

Phat Matt
12-26-2006, 10:53 PM
We got a nice set from Costco a couple of years ago. It wasn't $700 but we like them.
Pots and Pans (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11188568&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&N=4017652&Mo=22&No=4&ViewAll=23&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=54916&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&Sp=C&topnav=)