PDA

View Full Version : couple police questions

LAFD
12-27-2006, 03:34 PM
first question is when a cop uses his or hers radar to check your speed do they have to be stopped or can they be driving? second is there a quota that they have to meet like a certain amount of tickets written? reason im asking is i got pulled over friday night and the cop which looked to be a rookie really young kid comes walking up stating that i was doing a 110. i laughed at him and said aint no way i was goin that fast. he got real pissed and took my license and all that info walkin away sayin so you wanna agrue. 10 seconds later his bull dike partner comes walking up with all my stuff and says have a nice night.what the hell is up with that. granted i was doin 85 but 110 dude was smokin crack.

wolfie
12-27-2006, 03:46 PM
first question is when a cop uses his or hers radar to check your speed do they have to be stopped or can they be driving? second is there a quota that they have to meet like a certain amount of tickets written? reason im asking is i got pulled over friday night and the cop which looked to be a rookie really young kid comes walking up stating that i was doing a 110. i laughed at him and said aint no way i was goin that fast. he got real pissed and took my license and all that info walkin away sayin so you wanna agrue. 10 seconds later his bull dike partner comes walking up with all my stuff and says have a nice night.what the hell is up with that. granted i was doin 85 but 110 dude was smokin crack.
You should have thanked his bull dyke partner for not writing you up for 85.
Sounds like a rookie trying to prove himself. They're the most dangerous.

HMF'er
12-27-2006, 03:48 PM
Radar can be used stationary and while moving.
Quotas are illegal.
It appears as if you did not get a ticket, so thats good.

JetBoatRich
12-27-2006, 03:50 PM
no ticket:D what changed their mind:idea:

LAFD
even if they would have wrote me a ticket the officer quoted me 110. now if they went back and changed that would that get thrown out?

Havasu1986
Did you being a firemen have anything to do with it.:idea:

LAFD
12-27-2006, 03:51 PM
You should have thanked his bull dyke partner for not writing you up for 85.
Sounds like a rookie trying to prove himself. They're the most dangerous.
i did thank her was gunna ask her about what the hell her partners problem was but i shut my mouth and took off.

RitcheyRch
12-27-2006, 03:51 PM
I always thought going over a 100 was considered reckless driving and they are supposed to arrest you.

LAFD
12-27-2006, 03:52 PM
was the bull-dyke hot ??? :rolleyes: (nice stereo-type) :)
no not even really butch hair cut and ugly.

HMF'er
12-27-2006, 03:53 PM
Did you have your fireman helmet sticker in the back window?

LAFD
12-27-2006, 03:54 PM
I always thought going over a 100 was considered reckless driving and they are supposed to arrest you.
i did to so clearly i wasnt doin 110 or i would have been in some shit.

Kilrtoy
12-27-2006, 03:54 PM
Where do you guys come up with these things

LAFD
12-27-2006, 03:55 PM
Did you have your fireman helmet sticker in the back window?
dont have any fire stickers i think the rookie just got alittle hyper and his partner had to put him in check.

LAFD
12-27-2006, 03:55 PM
i also heard this can you clarify if this is not true.

dumbandyoung
12-27-2006, 03:59 PM
i got a seatbelt ticket from a rookie.. and i had it on!. i was learning over to close my glove box he said that not possible with a seat belt on .. i was like what?!?!.. and to make it more interesting.. i had a black shirt on .. with black interior. i have dark skin.. and i have limo tint.. wtf!?!?.. oh well $90 down the drian..

LAFD
12-27-2006, 04:04 PM
do you give out speeding tickets to kids, when the're running in the hallways :o ??? (i had to) :) keyes
took longer than i thought it would.

Kilrtoy
12-27-2006, 04:05 PM
do you give out speeding tickets to kids, when the're running in the hallways :o ??? (i had to) :) keyes
Like candy on halloween

Kilrtoy
12-27-2006, 04:09 PM
i also heard this can you clarify if this is not true.
It is one of the most expensive infractions
You can not be arrested for an infraction. Now granted you are driving like a fool at speeds greater than 100, then it can tiurn into a 23103 VC and yes you can be arrested
22348. (a) Notwithstanding subdivision (b) of Section 22351, a person shall not drive a vehicle upon a highway with a speed limit established pursuant to Section 22349 or 22356 at a speed greater than that speed limit.
(b) A person who drives a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than 100 miles per hour is guilty of an infraction punishable, as follows:
(1) Upon a first conviction of a violation of this subdivision, by a fine of not to exceed five hundred dollars ($500). The court may also suspend the privilege of the person to operate a motor vehicle for a period not to exceed 30 days pursuant to Section 13200.5.

JetBoatRich
12-27-2006, 04:09 PM
we make up random things to make the cops look bad:jawdrop:

LAFD
12-27-2006, 04:11 PM
It is one of the most expensive infractions
You can not be arrested for an infraction. Now granted you are driving like a fool at speeds greater than 100, then it can tiurn into a 23103 VC and yes you can be arrested
22348. (a) Notwithstanding subdivision (b) of Section 22351, a person shall not drive a vehicle upon a highway with a speed limit established pursuant to Section 22349 or 22356 at a speed greater than that speed limit.
(b) A person who drives a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than 100 miles per hour is guilty of an infraction punishable, as follows:
(1) Upon a first conviction of a violation of this subdivision, by a fine of not to exceed five hundred dollars ($500). The court may also suspend the privilege of the person to operate a motor vehicle for a period not to exceed 30 days pursuant to Section 13200.5.
thanks for the info now would the ticket of been thrown out in court if they wrote it for anything but 110? say if they wrote it for 85 like i was going.

RitcheyRch
12-27-2006, 04:12 PM
That's what was always told to me.
Didnt say that you were. My point was that if what was told me was true that by going over 100 you would have been taken to jail.
i did to so clearly i wasnt doin 110 or i would have been in some shit.

HOTPURSUIT
12-27-2006, 04:15 PM
Radar can be used stationary and while moving.
Quotas are illegal.
It appears as if you did not get a ticket, so thats good.
Quotas are illegal, but take for instance the CHP.. They are not required to, but it is pretty much an un-written rule amongst the officers that they write 5 tickets a day during a regular 8-hour shift. That keeps them on track for satisfactory performance reviews at the end of each month. Those tickets could be for anything, tint, no front plate, trailer ball blocking the plate, etc.. just as long they get em... but of course there are those dorky CHP guys that write a gazillion tickets anyway

LAFD
12-27-2006, 04:19 PM
Quotas are illegal, but take for instance the CHP.. They are not required to, but it is pretty much an un-written rule amongst the officers that they write 5 tickets a day during a regular 8-hour shift. That keeps them on track for satisfactory performance reviews at the end of each month. Those tickets could be for anything, tint, no front plate, trailer ball blocking the plate, etc.. just as long they get em... but of course there are those dorky CHP guys that write a gazillion tickets anyway
it wasnt a chp it was a street cop he actually said i did a couple things one i passed a car on the right and doing a 110. now i passed the car on the city streeta i told him i passed the car in a legal lane and there was no signs saying no passing aloud.and than he quoted me the 110 on the freeway but he said he was following me for about 3 to 4 miles. cop was just an idiot his partner put him in check.

Kilrtoy
12-27-2006, 04:21 PM
20 a day seems about right

b's sanger
12-27-2006, 04:25 PM
thanks for the info now would the ticket of been thrown out in court if they wrote it for anything but 110? say if they wrote it for 85 like i was going.
The Rookie was trying to see if you would admit to 85. Officers can lie to you all day long, it's not illegal.

wolfie
12-27-2006, 04:27 PM
If you could prove that you were going a different speed other than what was written on the ticket it could be thrown out, but in order to prove that you weren't going the written speed you could be admitting to another infraction. If for example, they wrote you for 85 and you were going 95, at some point you were going 85 (in order to get to 95) and the procecutor would argue that you were in fact going 85.
The only chance you really have is if you could prove that you were driving the speed limit and that they wrote you for more.
Iyou were above the speed limit and they wrote you for less, take it and pay it. You've lucked out.
If you were going over the speed limit and they wrote you for more than you were going you can always plead it down.
I may be wrong and if I am, I'm sure there will be plenty of people in line to correct me.

LAFD
12-27-2006, 04:33 PM
If you could prove that you were going a different speed other than what was written on the ticket it could be thrown out, but in order to prove that you weren't going the written speed you could be admitting to another infraction. If for example, they wrote you for 85 and you were going 95, at some point you were going 85 (in order to get to 95) and the procecutor would argue that you were in fact going 85.
The only chance you really have is if you could prove that you were driving the speed limit and that they wrote you for more.
Iyou were above the speed limit and they wrote you for less, take it and pay it. You've lucked out.
If you were going over the speed limit and they wrote you for more than you were going you can always plead it down.
I may be wrong and if I am, I'm sure there will be plenty of people in line to correct me.
well i know i was speeding and i know i got lucky i was just wondering about the misquoted speed.

HOTPURSUIT
12-27-2006, 04:35 PM
it wasnt a chp it was a street cop he actually said i did a couple things one i passed a car on the right and doing a 110. now i passed the car on the city streeta i told him i passed the car in a legal lane and there was no signs saying no passing aloud.and than he quoted me the 110 on the freeway but he said he was following me for about 3 to 4 miles. cop was just an idiot his partner put him in check.
I dont know of any VC where it says you cant pass on the right.. Unless there is a posted sign stating that.. and he would of had to pace you to get you for speed.

LAFD
12-27-2006, 04:39 PM
I dont know of any VC where it says you cant pass on the right.. Unless there is a posted sign stating that.. and he would of had to pace you to get you for speed.
there was no sign and it was an actual lane so he couldnt of got me for that and i have no idea where he got the speed he got cause there aint no way i was goin 110. but its all good i got lucky on this one.

Kilrtoy
12-27-2006, 05:02 PM
Really??????
Passing on the Right
21754. The driver of a motor vehicle may overtake and pass to the right of another vehicle only under the following conditions:
(a) When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn.
(b) Upon a highway within a business or residence district with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving vehicles in the direction of travel.
(c) Upon any highway outside of a business or residence district with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width and clearly marked for two or more lines of moving traffic in the direction of travel.
(d) Upon a one-way street.
(e) Upon a highway divided into two roadways where traffic is restricted to one direction upon each of such roadways.
The provisions of this section shall not relieve the driver of a slow moving vehicle from the duty to drive as closely as practicable to the right hand edge of the roadway.
AND
Pass on Right Safely
21755. The driver of a motor vehicle may overtake and pass another vehicle upon the right only under conditions permitting such movement in safety. In no event shall such movement be made by driving off the paved or main-traveled portion of the roadway.

HOTPURSUIT
12-27-2006, 06:21 PM
Really??????
Passing on the Right
21754. The driver of a motor vehicle may overtake and pass to the right of another vehicle only under the following conditions:
(a) When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn.
(b) Upon a highway within a business or residence district with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving vehicles in the direction of travel.
(c) Upon any highway outside of a business or residence district with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width and clearly marked for two or more lines of moving traffic in the direction of travel.
(d) Upon a one-way street.
(e) Upon a highway divided into two roadways where traffic is restricted to one direction upon each of such roadways.
The provisions of this section shall not relieve the driver of a slow moving vehicle from the duty to drive as closely as practicable to the right hand edge of the roadway.
AND
Pass on Right Safely
21755. The driver of a motor vehicle may overtake and pass another vehicle upon the right only under conditions permitting such movement in safety. In no event shall such movement be made by driving off the paved or main-traveled portion of the roadway.
YES REALLY KILRTOY!!!!!
you can pass on the right as desribed in the section 21754 VC.... and section 21755 has nothing to do with this at all................. all that is, is for idiots who like to drive on the right shoulder of a freeway or highway. That is the section you write.......

acatitude
12-27-2006, 06:26 PM
when you mentioned quotas reminded me of some yahoo who was mouthin off about his ticket and made some remark about me not gettin my quota yet for the month.... I just told him nope no more quotas, I can write as many as I want :D , do you drive this road every day on your way to work? said with a little smile and chuckle as I handed him back his license and citation and said see ya tommorrow about the same time, lol...... he was so pissed

Mattman
12-27-2006, 06:30 PM
I also tell them I can write as many as I want. Then I tell them it's because of them I am in the running to win the Golden Toaster for the month!:)

Kilrtoy
12-27-2006, 07:00 PM
YES REALLY KILRTOY!!!!!
you can pass on the right as desribed in the section 21754 VC.... and section 21755 has nothing to do with this at all................. all that is, is for idiots who like to drive on the right shoulder of a freeway or highway. That is the section you write.......
It just described that you can pass on the right, you are correct and it also described the conditions. that does not only apply to the freeway.
So what section would you use for people who pass on the right in a turn lane.

HMF'er
12-27-2006, 07:12 PM
That's a trick question.

PBOCOP
12-27-2006, 07:45 PM
When I was on motors, I probably wrote more tickets than anyone. If you were going 110, I can write you for anything I want up to the 110. If I want to write you for 110, I can. If I want to write you for 80 so that it's 15 over, I can. It's just based on my mood. I can also take you to jail or cite you for a misdemeanor at 110.
On a freeway, it's usually unsafe passing. This has to do with passing in an unsafe manner which can be based on my opinion of your passing, affecting other vehicles flow, no signals, etc.
There is a thing called a performance standard. It's not a quota. But if a guy is working traffic all day and writes zero tickets, what was he doing ? So if he is working 10 hours, he better produce or have a reason he didn't. Just like any other job. Not a quota, but if he can show he was working, zero tickets in some situations can be sufficient.
You got lucky. Probably a training car where they might have been working on pacing and traffic stops and just decided to train off the stop, and not write. Happens here and there.
Good luck.
PBO

HOTPURSUIT
12-27-2006, 08:02 PM
It just described that you can pass on the right, you are correct and it also described the conditions. that does not only apply to the freeway.
improper turning postion?? I think off the top of my head its 22100 or 22101

wolfie
12-27-2006, 08:11 PM
well i know i was speeding and i know i got lucky i was just wondering about the misquoted speed.
Are you county or city???

Kilrtoy
12-27-2006, 08:35 PM
improper turning postion?? I think off the top of my head its 22100 or 22101
I guess if they were making a turning movement, you maybe just on to something..
But they are passing , KEEP TRYING

HOTPURSUIT
12-27-2006, 08:41 PM
I guess if they were making a turning movement, you maybe just on to something..
But they are passing , KEEP TRYING
At this point I would kick them, cause I dont have the patience to look up all those damn sections...

Kilrtoy
12-27-2006, 08:49 PM
At this point I would kick them, cause I dont have the patience to look up all those damn sections...
The section you qouted is correct, it just boils down to which is the techincally correct
like 21658 or 22107
22350 or 22349
They all work, I was just busting your balls

EAZYKILLER2006
12-27-2006, 08:50 PM
yepper and if they did that...u would have your car impound...so... that is probably why "they didnt" ...i had the same thing happen to me ...they also let me go~~~lol YEA WELL ..."i was doing 110".:eek: ..thru the pass... theY caught me in redlands...lol~~~they were in a camero...darn i was watching for the cops TOO...it came out of nowhere...:sqeyes:

Kilrtoy
12-27-2006, 08:55 PM
Oh and welcome to the boards HOTPURSUIT

Kilrtoy
12-27-2006, 08:56 PM
yepper and if they did that...u would have your car impound...so... that is probably why "they didnt" ...i had the same thing happen to me ...they also let me go~~~lol YEA WELL ..."i was doing 110".:eek: ..thru the pass... theY caught me in redlands...lol~~~they were in a camero...darn i was watching for the cops TOO...it came out of nowhere...:sqeyes:
I wonder why they let you go:D

little rowe boat
12-27-2006, 08:59 PM
Are you county or city???
LAFD is LA City Fire.

HOTPURSUIT
12-27-2006, 09:05 PM
thanks kilrtoy...

wolfie
12-27-2006, 09:05 PM
LAFD is LA City Fire.
Just making sure. I've a number of friends with county.

Baja Big Dog
12-27-2006, 10:15 PM
Ive got friends in county also, and hey they also put out fires!!!! When they arnt picking up trash.

havifun
12-28-2006, 12:14 AM
You we're doing 110?:(

BUSHWACKER
12-28-2006, 01:27 AM
Many years ago my uncle & I left Buckeye for LHC, when we got to the left onto I10 here's a Camero flyin west unk says his 460 Ford truck can catch it, away we go, I'm his 260Z, we caught up with him down the road a bit around a bend, hello johnny law, he does a ubee. The Camero desides left turn Clyde, don't the law go for the 1 "runner" we had AZ HP lifetime stickers, but I don't think he ever close enuf to see them. Away we go... FAST. When we got there unk says how fast were we going when we saw him? Speedo's broken in the Ford. I said 125mph by the Z's speedo. Guess ya had to be there.

EAZYKILLER2006
12-28-2006, 01:57 AM
Many years ago my uncle & I left Buckeye for LHC, when we got to the left onto I10 here's a Camero flyin west unk says his 460 Ford truck can catch it, away we go, I'm his 260Z, we caught up with him down the road a bit around a bend, hello johnny law, he does a ubee. The Camero desides left turn Clyde, don't the law go for the 1 "runner" we had AZ HP lifetime stickers, but I don't think he ever close enuf to see them. Away we go... FAST. When we got there unk says how fast were we going when we saw him? Speedo's broken in the Ford. I said 125mph by the Z's speedo. Guess ya had to be there.
lol well, we all know... when we speed , we keep a look out...i just wasnt looking for the camero cop car...darn so i got caught...but no ticket...lucky... that time...i need some of them there "stickers"...lol