PDA

View Full Version : I quit smoking!

shadow
12-27-2006, 06:47 PM
I've got 18 days in cold turkey.Smoked for over 25yrs a pack a day.
My question is to those of you that have quit,does it get any easier?some days are very easy and others are like day 1 all over.
I'm hoping it's gonna get alittle easier & easier.

Mandelon
12-27-2006, 06:52 PM
C'mon, nobody likes a quitter. :devil:

Nord
12-27-2006, 06:53 PM
Better throw a diet in there somewhere. I have had multiple customers quit and the results are all the same. Most of them gain a little weight since your metabolism will change. You also might get congested for about a month and cough up some nasty stuff while your lungs clear.
As far as the good and bad days.......That can last a LONG time:(
However, if you can deal with it, the postives outweigh the negatives by a landslide. Since your veins will slowly grow back to regular size, things like your skin will look healthier. Your face might look a little "fuller" because of this. Smoking actually shrinks things like veins and arteries, so there will be some changes in look and the way you feel when they are at normal non smoking size again
Congrats!!

Cheap Thrills
12-27-2006, 06:53 PM
I quit every time I put one out. Haven't noticed any difference in level of difficulty.
T.

shadow
12-27-2006, 06:54 PM
C'mon, nobody likes a quitter. :devil:
You mean quit quitting :confused: or
quitting smoking?:)

acatitude
12-27-2006, 06:56 PM
way to go shadow thats on my agenda for the new year, any hints how you made it threw the first week???? seems like that will be the toughest

DILLIGAF
12-27-2006, 06:56 PM
Good job Darryl. Just keep your mind/body occupied so you don't think about it. You will become more sensitive to others smoking the longer you quit.
Keep going strong. Very hard to quit

shadow
12-27-2006, 06:58 PM
Better throw a diet in there somewhere. I have had multiple customers quit and the results are all the same. Most of them gain a little weight since your metabolism will change. You also might get congested for about a month and cough up some nasty stuff while your lungs clear.
As far as the good and bad days.......That can last a LONG time:(
However, if you can deal with it, the postives outweigh the negatives by a landslide. Since your veins will slowly grow back to regular size, things like your skin will look healthier. Your face might look a little "fuller" because of this. Smoking actually shrinks things like veins and arteries, so there will be some changes in look and the way you feel when they are at normal non smoking size again
Congrats!!
Haven't been hacking up any lungs yet,but my sinus's already feel clearer.
Have noticed i've been eating a bit more but not wooried too much cause i'm regular at the gym.looking forward to the benifits since i haven't experienced any that i hear of for 25 plus yrs.I know i'm saving $$.

buzzaro
12-27-2006, 06:58 PM
way to go shadow thats on my agenda for the new year, any hints how you made it threw the first week???? seems like that will be the toughest
Ive got a buddy that chews (copenhagen) to quit smoking....
and smokes to quit chewing. Not sure if this helps.

acatitude
12-27-2006, 07:05 PM
lol sounds perfect to me :D

HCS
12-27-2006, 07:07 PM
Way to go!
My dad quit smoking cold turkey after 30 years of smoking. One day 3 years after he quit he sparked up one of my moms cigs without thinking about it.
Then he thought about it and said to himself, what the hell am I doing?
He put it out in disbelief. He couldn't believe after 3 years he naturally grap a smoke and lit it up.
It's a dirty habit.

shadow
12-27-2006, 07:11 PM
Thought about my children and i want to see them grow up and get married and have families of thier own.
My luck i'll get over smoking and get hit by a car.
First week i had 1 smoke in the am and none the rest of the day.After the first week no smkes at all.
Good luck!!

DILLIGAF
12-27-2006, 07:11 PM
I am totally opposite and really need to quit the Skoal. Been doing it for about 20 years now :(

rrrr
12-27-2006, 07:12 PM
Ive got a buddy that chews (copenhagen) to quit smoking....
I quit smoking and went to Skoal Bandits....duh. Twice as much nicotine. Quit after 8 years of those things, and had to carry sugar free Breath Savers with me at all times. I finally quit needing the Breath Savers this year. The oral fixation and cravings is wacky, definitely a big part of quitting along with the nicotine withdrawal.
As for the dieting thig, I did notice after I quit my shirttail was untucked a lot....gained 50 lbs, lost 20 and stil carrying the rest......but I ain't using tobacco and that's what counts. Keep working it, shadow.......

JB in so cal
12-27-2006, 07:17 PM
Thought about my children and i want to see them grow up and get married and have families of thier own.
My luck i'll get over smoking and get hit by a car.
First week i had 1 smoke in the am and none the rest of the day.After the first week no smkes at all.
Good luck!!
See if you can make a deal to replace smokes with BJ's. Lose weight and not smoke all in one...:)

dumbandyoung
12-27-2006, 07:27 PM
good job man!!!!! keep it up you can do it.. everytime you feel like a smoke punch yourself in the dick.. it helps.

jammin
12-27-2006, 07:31 PM
I quit a year ago, I still get the same urges as the day after I quit. One day at a time, one day at a time. Good luck!

angry dad
12-27-2006, 07:33 PM
Good job bro!!! I quit 4 years ago
after 30 years!! Cold turkey. I will never smoke again!!
Smoking ig Nasty!!

MRSDRMCAT
12-27-2006, 07:36 PM
Thats awesome!!! Keep it up!!! :D

shadow
12-27-2006, 07:38 PM
Glad to hear from all of you that have suceeded.Thanks to everyone for the words of support.:)
Dumbandyoung thanks for the idea:idea: ,but i think i'll pass on punching myself in the dick.

TrojanDan
12-27-2006, 08:01 PM
Cool deal Big D! Keep it up. Cigarettes suck! :cool:

HavasuHome
12-27-2006, 08:10 PM
Glad to hear you are stopping. Keep it up. I quit over 35 years ago cold turkey. Hopefully your wife and friends will give you plenty of support. Your health is more important than smoking is.

dicudmore
12-27-2006, 08:11 PM
buncha quitters around here :rolleyes:
good job Darrell :D

selfmade
12-27-2006, 08:16 PM
Good luck bro

EAZYKILLER2006
12-27-2006, 08:24 PM
Good job Darryl. Just keep your mind/body occupied so you don't think about it. You will become more sensitive to others smoking the longer you quit.
Keep going strong. Very hard to quit
lol good job dude! ...its the hardest habit to break...good luck~~~:) hey:confused: not trying to be funny here...but seriously they say to "keep your hands busy"...so... anyone know the date /time frame ya have to get passed before...a habit is concidered broke???? just curious...if someone can come up with that...it might help ya ~~just thinking that "u have to get passed just a few more days" ...could help...(guess it could be different for every one)~~~ WELL there should be and "average" time frame???...guess i shouldnt say this ...but if ya dont make it ..."no one i know has":jawdrop: ...hope you do it!;)

beerjet
12-27-2006, 08:25 PM
I kicked the non-filtered lucky strikes by focusing in on the things that I didnt like and only those. It was real easy for me .
Good luck.

TRUMP TIGHT
12-27-2006, 08:40 PM
I think im gonna take the leap but i know thoughts like i think are symptoms of failure.

DILLIGAF
12-27-2006, 08:58 PM
I think im gonna take the leap but i know thoughts like i think are symptoms of failure.
Tell you what Justin.....I totally understand what you are saying. You know I have been chewin' for 20+ years. I will give it an attempt and we could help each other out. What do you think?

SHAKEN Not Stirred
12-27-2006, 09:03 PM
Great.........Darryl quit smoking.....:rolleyes:
Now half of Havasu will get beaten up this month during a nicotine deprived fit of rage….:mad:
Happy New Year you Havasu punching bags……:idea:
Hahahahahahahahaha……:)
Good luck with it man…..;)
Later,
CJG
:)

TRUMP TIGHT
12-27-2006, 09:07 PM
Tell you what Justin.....I totally understand what you are saying. You know I have been chewin' for 20+ years. I will give it an attempt and we could help each other out. What do you think?
Done!
Jan. 1
and here is to the coffeycup

TRUMP TIGHT
12-27-2006, 09:08 PM
Whats with the new editing Sh!t?!

DILLIGAF
12-27-2006, 09:08 PM
Done!
Jan. 1
and here is to the coffeycup
Coffeecup?
So, you want to start 1-1-07 at 12AM with no tobacco products?

TRUMP TIGHT
12-27-2006, 09:10 PM
Coffeecup?
So, you want to start 1-1-07 at 12AM with no tobacco products?
Ill tell you later.
Yeah!

SHAKEN Not Stirred
12-27-2006, 09:18 PM
C'mon...
You know you two can't stop that easy.....:idea:
Why start when you KNOW your gonna' fail....:rolleyes:
It wont last 30 days....;)
Oh yeah.....Happy New Year to the both of you....:)
Later,
CJG
:D

DILLIGAF
12-27-2006, 09:19 PM
C'mon...
You know you two can't stop that easy.....:idea:
Why start when you KNOW your gonna' fail....:rolleyes:
It wont last 30 days....;)
Oh yeah.....Happy New Year to the both of you....:)
Later,
CJG
Thanks for the encouragement...friggin' bonehead. Tim was right :)

FREIND OF AA AND TA
12-27-2006, 09:22 PM
Great.........Darryl quit smoking.....:rolleyes:
Now half of Havasu will get beaten up this month during a nicotine deprived fit of rage….:mad:
Happy New Year you Havasu punching bags……:idea:
Hahahahahahahahaha……:)
Good luck with it man…..;)
Later,
CJG
I was just thinking that too!! Poor Wifey!!! Tell her good luck from me!!!

SHAKEN Not Stirred
12-27-2006, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the encouragement...friggin' bonehead. Tim was right :)
Hahahahahahahah....
He puts that nasty shiat in his mouth too.....
Smoking is bad enough, but chewing....man, that's one filthy habit....
I REALLY do hope that you two...and Tim, stop before they have to surgically remove the lower parts of your faces....
Good luck...
CJG

DILLIGAF
12-27-2006, 09:30 PM
Hahahahahahahah....
He puts that nasty shiat in his mouth too.....
Smoking is bad enough, but chewing....man, that's one filthy habit....
I REALLY do hope that you two...and Tim, stop before they have to surgically remove the lower parts of your faces....
Good luck...
CJG
If I don't quit I admit to accepting my fate. My Grandfather chewed until his death at 97. Of course he would just go out on the farm and grab tobacco to chew off the plant. Didn't have all the different chemicals involved though.

Mandelon
12-27-2006, 09:35 PM
Maybe buy some bubble gum. You know, for that oral fixation.... :idea: :D
Good Job D, you know its the right thing to do.

Mandelon
12-27-2006, 09:52 PM
Things You May or May Not Know
Someone probably told you what happens when you quit smoking, but did you know that the benefits begin almost immediately?
Time Since Quitting
Health Changes that Take Place
20 minutes
Blood pressure and pulse rate return to normal.
8 hours
Nicotine and carbon monoxide levels in the blood are cut in half. Oxygen levels in the blood return to normal.
24 hours
Carbon monoxide is completely eliminated from the body. Lungs start to clear out the mucus and other debris of smoking.
48 hours
Nicotine is completely eliminated from the body. Your sense of taste and smell greatly improve.
72 hours
Breathing becomes easier. Energy levels increase. Bronchial tubes relax.
2-12 weeks
Circulation improves.
3-9 months
Lung function improves up to ten percent. Breathing problems (i.e. coughing and wheezing) are reduced.
1 year
Risk of heart attack falls by half.
10 years
Risk of lung cancer falls by half.
15 years
Risk of heart attack falls to the same level as someone who never smoked before.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
12-27-2006, 10:10 PM
Things You May or May Not Know
Someone probably told you what happens when you quit smoking, but did you know that the benefits begin almost immediately?
Time Since Quitting
Health Changes that Take Place
20 minutes
Blood pressure and pulse rate return to normal.
8 hours
Nicotine and carbon monoxide levels in the blood are cut in half. Oxygen levels in the blood return to normal.
24 hours
Carbon monoxide is completely eliminated from the body. Lungs start to clear out the mucus and other debris of smoking.
48 hours
Nicotine is completely eliminated from the body. Your sense of taste and smell greatly improve.
72 hours
Breathing becomes easier. Energy levels increase. Bronchial tubes relax.
2-12 weeks
Circulation improves.
3-9 months
Lung function improves up to ten percent. Breathing problems (i.e. coughing and wheezing) are reduced.
1 year
Risk of heart attack falls by half.
10 years
Risk of lung cancer falls by half.
15 years
Risk of heart attack falls to the same level as someone who never smoked before.
Tom....
No need for you to read past the "72 Hour" information.....
At your age, you may not make it to the "2-12 Week" point....
Lets just get to the "72"....then we'll see about the long term planning....
baby steps man.....baby steps.....
Later,
CJG

INSman
12-27-2006, 10:17 PM
Never started so don't know what it is like trying to quit, but I would start chewing the shit out of gum to keep you mouth busy and hopefully your mind off of them nasty coffin nails.

havifun
12-28-2006, 12:12 AM
My question is to those of you that have quit,does it get any easier?some days are very easy and others are like day 1 all over.
Hope you make it, let us know

BUSHWACKER
12-28-2006, 01:30 AM
Why die healthy???? :D
Just kiddin good luck to ya.

h2oski2fast
12-28-2006, 02:14 AM
Smoking what?

purrfecttremor
12-28-2006, 04:23 AM
I also quit 6 years ago and smoked for 30. It took many trys but here I am today a none smoker. One think to remember You can NEVER cheat or it just aint going to happen. One day you will look back an all the positives will be obvious and you wont believe how much better You feel. It just takes a long time but its worth it!;) ;) ;)

shadow
12-28-2006, 04:42 AM
Thanks again for all the words of encouragement!:)
Trump & Dilligaf good luck top you guys!The reason i quit before new years is because i didn't want it to be one of those new years resolutions that only last a week.If you are going to do it there is no better time than now.
Like someone said in an earlier post just one day at a time,hopefully it gets easier,i know i think about having a smoke less ans less.

Desert Rat
12-28-2006, 06:47 AM
What I did was change up my life style a bit. I would have a smoke right after dinner and found this to be a difficult time during the quitting process. I found if I went right to doing something after a meal it helped. My dog got more exercise as I would just get up from the dinner table hook up his leash and take a 2+ mile walk. It helped that I quit for a VERY good reason, my oldest had breathing problems and a doctor informed me my smoking had ALOT to do with it. I quit that day!! I haven't had a cig in 20 years! I do however smoke a cigar from time to time. Just remember if you don't succeed the first time keep trying!! Good luck

framer1
12-28-2006, 07:16 AM
Smoked for 18 years, quit for 3 years. Started up again and smoked for around 5 years.... quit again and started smoking cigars, that was even worse because I inhaled them. Quit those and haven't smoked for seven years but to answer your question I found at about 2 to 3 weeks I was pretty good with quiting. The whole secret to quiting is really wanting to quit and no excuses like I will only smoke when I'm drinking or after a meal or with coffee etc. Good luck Bruce

SHAKEN Not Stirred
12-28-2006, 07:44 AM
www.mytimetoquit.com
CJG

DILLIGAF
12-28-2006, 07:55 AM
Tom....
No need for you to read past the "72 Hour" information.....
At your age, you may not make it to the "2-12 Week" point....
Lets just get to the "72"....then we'll see about the long term planning....
baby steps man.....baby steps.....
Later,
CJG
LOL.....Either I quit or not. If my son wants to try together I will give it my best shot.

Mandelon
12-28-2006, 08:14 AM
D, every time you feel like having a cig, run to the bathroom and go rub one out, but you are not allowed to use lotion or even spit. Don't even wash your hands first.
Within a few days your dick will hurt so bad you'll forget all about smoking. :D

chub
12-28-2006, 08:32 AM
It took my Dad 1 day to stop smoking.
The day after his first open heart surgery at 45 years old.
He's never touched one since.
Food for thought!
Good luck and be strong!:D

SurfOnH20
12-28-2006, 08:58 AM
Good job Shadow !! My father is now dying of lung cancer because of his years of smoking. He tells me he has a lot regret because he has much more living to do. He is even more sadden by the fact he has many young grandchildren that he wont see grow up. I will never understand why people smoke. It can do nothing but shorten your life and cause you and your family pain seeing the cancer rot away at your body. He finally stopped smoking now that death is knocking at his door.What a shame. So those of you who are smoking do yourself and your family a favor and stop this selfish destructive habit. Yeah, we will all die someday but lets grow old with our families first.. Sorry for carrying on..I am happy for you Shadow, you will never regret stopping. Just think of it of one less cigarette butt :idea: floating in the lake or lying along side the highway...

edog_103
12-28-2006, 09:18 AM
I'm 4 yrs into quitting now. Everytime I think of smoking I think back to seeing my dad in the hospital for 5 days dieing from Pneumonia. He lost 20% lung compacaty after that. The doctor said if he had not been smoking he would never had gotten to that point. His lungs were so full of tar they could not fight the sickness. Then walked right out of the hostpital and lit up a smoke, and almost choked to death. I told myself I will not let something have that much control over me. I stop right then and there.

shadow
12-28-2006, 11:15 AM
These are all the stories that are keeping me strong.I feel like i'm pretty much over smokes on a day to day basis.BUT SOMETIMES for some reason i'll get a craving from nowhere.
already went through drinking and not lighting up last weekend.Wasn't as tough as i thought.

CornWater
12-28-2006, 11:19 AM
Nice job... I quit 3 years ago and feel much better...

shadow
12-28-2006, 11:26 AM
Nice job... I quit 3 years ago and feel much better...
When you bringing your Rhino out this way?

Keith E. Sayre
12-28-2006, 11:38 AM
I heard that is the hardest thing on the planet to quit doing. With that in mind--hats off to you for conquering
the demon!
I watched a great aunt live the last 6 months of her life in
a hospital bed in the living room of their home in Venice Ca. with emphysema. The last couple months with an oxygen tent on the bed. All from smoking and not a pretty way to die. Her daughter (my aunt) stood by her side the
entire time and swore she would quit smoking after witnessing her months of agony and suffering. 20 years
later I watched the aunt die in the same bed in the same
living room in Venice California from the same disease due
to smoking. She tried 1000 times to quit. Couldn't do it.
Keep with it. My dad quit one day when he was 24 years old and never picked up another one. He said it was easy
once he decided that he was really going to quit.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats

CornWater
12-28-2006, 11:56 AM
When you bringing your Rhino out this way?
Hopefully soon.... Glamis this weekend. We need to get you to tow yours out to Glamis, we'll be out again in two weeks..

Beer-30
12-28-2006, 12:01 PM
My father in law went cold turkey after 40 years of it. Tried multiple times. Now been off of them for 3 years. What did it for him? 5 year old grandson hears a guy in the next room of a hotel caughing and spitting up lung meat. He says "that guy coughs like grandpa". He quit the next week.
My 92 year old great grandmother watched her 75 year old daughter die of Emphysema. Parents aren't supposed to outlive their children.
Healthy lung:
http://www.quitsmokingsupport.com/hlung.jpg
Emphysema:
http://www.quitsmokingsupport.com/elung.jpg
Keep it up, Shadow. Don't let a tiny piece of paper with some ground up leafy substance rule your life!

Punkard
12-28-2006, 12:30 PM
Hey all,
I am what you sort of a lurker (been so for a few years).... but come on this stuff is great and I do have some friends that are members with boats so ya...
I had to post on this thread seeing I have first hand experience, I have smoked and quit, with family members and friends doing the same. We all learned the best way to help ........SUNFLOWER SEEDS!
i found out that it works great every time i had an urge for a cig threw a hand full of seeds in my mouth by the time I was done the craving was gone
Good luck with the every thing Shadow, the cravings will pass!

Rattle Can Lou
12-28-2006, 12:48 PM
This February 12 will be two years. I still get the cravings but they come about once a week now instead of 10 times a day. Here's what I know you need to do. Drink as much water as you can. The body is sluffing toxins continually. Especially the first three weeks. The water helps flush everything out. I stopped drinking for two months after I quit just to gain the willpower that I knew I needed. I knew if I drank that I would light up due to lack of willpower. There are several web sites that help you quit. I joined a couple of them and could not believe the support that I got. I am 53 years old and had smoked a pack a day for a long time. If I went out on the town it would go to two packs a day. I am so angry with myself that I smoked all those years. I hid from my kids and tried to hide it from eveybody else. Even my parents never saw me smoke. Horrible habit and you should be proud of yourself.

Beer-30
12-28-2006, 01:07 PM
Punkard, welcome to ***boat. This is not a personal attack, because I know you mean well.
DON'T switch addictions to SUNFLOWER SEEDS. A few of my crew are addicted to those damn things, and they get EVERYWHERE. Jesus Christ, just when you think you have vacuumed out all the fly-aways, they just pop up somehwere else. Another nasty habit.

shadow
12-28-2006, 04:06 PM
My father in law went cold turkey after 40 years of it. Tried multiple times. Now been off of them for 3 years. What did it for him? 5 year old grandson hears a guy in the next room of a hotel caughing and spitting up lung meat. He says "that guy coughs like grandpa". He quit the next week.
My 92 year old great grandmother watched her 75 year old daughter die of Emphysema. Parents aren't supposed to outlive their children.
Healthy lung:
http://www.quitsmokingsupport.com/hlung.jpg
Emphysema:
http://www.quitsmokingsupport.com/elung.jpg
Keep it up, Shadow. Don't let a tiny piece of paper with some ground up leafy substance rule your life!
Thats a nasty picture!!!!!:eek:
I should use that as a screne saver and garauntee success with non smoking!

purrfecttremor
12-28-2006, 05:17 PM
It only gets easier from this point on! Hang in there Darrel.

Forkin' Crazy
12-28-2006, 06:04 PM
good job man!!!!! keep it up you can do it.. everytime you feel like a smoke punch yourself in the dick.. it helps.
Are you speaking from experience?:jawdrop:
This coming April it will be two years for me. Finally I can get a disount on my med insurance. LOL! :D
Kick it man! You can do it. WILL POWER!!!!! :D

slowinhavasu
12-28-2006, 06:47 PM
I quit a lot of things in my life...smoking is tough...be strong bro...you can do it....

Mrs 2LKHVSU
12-28-2006, 06:58 PM
You can do it, you can do it, YES you can!! :) :) :)

Midlife Advantage
01-02-2007, 06:40 PM
Tom, Justin? did you quit? Darrell, how did NYE go? Hope you all are hanging in there, I am a nicotine addict like Chris said, but have only dipped twice in the last 11 months, one was at my birthday party and Tom is the guilty contributor! the worst times are when you're drinking for sure. for one, somehow the alcohol brings on the urge, second, your will power is WAY down. So now I am pretty much hooked on the nicotine gum, but when I get those urges, it shuts them up. I will quit the gum someday, I have been saying that for a while now...
Good luck dudes, smokes and dip will kill us....

DILLIGAF
01-02-2007, 06:44 PM
Tom, Justin? did you quit? Darrell, how did NYE go? Hope you all are hanging in there, I am a nicotine addict like Chris said, but have only dipped twice in the last 11 months, one was at my birthday party and Tom is the guilty contributor! the worst times are when you're drinking for sure. for one, somehow the alcohol brings on the urge, second, your will power is WAY down. So now I am pretty much hooked on the nicotine gum, but when I get those urges, it shuts them up. I will quit the gum someday, I have been saying that for a while now...
Nope...Justin never made a move :). I was willing to quit to give him some support and all. He will give it a try at some point though and I will be there to support him.
Did you get that recall notice in your mailbox?

My Man's Sportin' Wood
01-02-2007, 07:04 PM
Good luck!

wildbillg
01-02-2007, 07:05 PM
Congrats on quitin Shadow!!
If you have the will to say your going to quit just keep the will to stay true to your orginal thoughts.
I quit over 17 years ago, crumpled up the pack and tossed it in the lake.
I know you can do it...;)

shippingguy
01-02-2007, 07:07 PM
Congrats Darrell! That is awesome. Keep it up.

shadow
01-02-2007, 08:08 PM
Have over 3 weeks smoke free now.Quit on the 10th of Dec,couple of urges
while drinking over the Holidays but none strong enough to make me give in.
getting easier each day.:)

shadow
01-02-2007, 08:08 PM
Congrats Darrell! That is awesome. Keep it up.
Thanks Mike!:)

shadow
01-02-2007, 08:10 PM
Congrats on quitin Shadow!!
If you have the will to say your going to quit just keep the will to stay true to your orginal thoughts.
I quit over 17 years ago, crumpled up the pack and tossed it in the lake.
I know you can do it...;)
Bill was that your old pack i saw floating in the lake the other day?:D

purrfecttremor
01-02-2007, 08:21 PM
The urges will always be there. Just easier every day ....Stay tough Iv'e see You in the channel and I know you'r tough and in shape so dont quit!!!! Smoking in a nasty habbit and you will understand shortly what I mean.

shadow
01-02-2007, 08:27 PM
The urges will always be there. Just easier every day ....Stay tough Iv'e see You in the channel and I know you'r tough and in shape so dont quit!!!! Smoking in a nasty habbit and you will understand shortly what I mean.
Thanks!!;) After going this long i don't want to fail after all the encouragement from you and others.This year when you see me in the channel there will be no cig in my hand.:)

DILLIGAF
01-02-2007, 08:34 PM
Good job....Keep it up D :)

Miss Jackie
01-02-2007, 08:39 PM
My hat goes off to you for doing this. I am sure it's really hard so I wish you strength in getting through it all.

Throttle
01-02-2007, 09:00 PM
you have got to feel better, stick to it...

INSman
01-02-2007, 09:06 PM
Thanks!!;) After going this long i don't want to fail after all the encouragement from you and others.This year when you see me in the channel there will be no cig in my hand.:)
Hopefully, just a beer or 2 :D

stoker22405
01-02-2007, 09:09 PM
[QUOTE=shadow;2313476]I've got 18 days in cold turkey.Smoked for over 25yrs a pack a day.
I'm hoping it's gonna get alittle easier & easier.[/
The hard part is over.....It is now Mind Over Matter...

watergun4u
01-02-2007, 09:35 PM
well let me first start by saying congrats on the not somking, but let me kinda fill you in on some insight, it only take 3 days for the nicatine to be out of your system, and then after that the craving start to go away faster, the reason, i am 100% sure on this, is i have had a quaddropple heartpass
surgey done, and i was only 36 at the time it was done, it was all caused from smoking, i am 42 now, and feel great, and have no problems since my surgery, but that is something i wish on know body, its a long surgey, and sometime, you dont make it out! So if you can keep yourself from smoking, and not go back to it thats great, and i wish you the best, but if you do go back to smoking, you no that you will be playing with your life, and if you care about your life and family, you will understand you have to quit for them as well as yourself, OPEN HEART SURGERY IS NO FUN, LET ME TELL YOU!!!!!!!!!!! NOT SOMETHING YOU WANT TO TO DO SO I HOPE THAT QUIT FOR GOOD, MY PRAYERS WILL BE WITH YOU! Thanks Tye

OutCole'd
01-02-2007, 09:40 PM
Congrats Darrell! Keep up the good work, I'm sure it will only get easier as time goes on.

YeLLowBoaT
01-02-2007, 09:45 PM
Thats a nasty picture!!!!!:eek:
I should use that as a screne saver and garauntee success with non smoking!
When I was in elementry school, we had a dr come in with one hleathy lung and a smokers lung... we all had to put gloves on as they were passed around in a circle. That did it for me.
GL

Midlife Advantage
01-02-2007, 10:23 PM
Nope...Justin never made a move :). I was willing to quit to give him some support and all. He will give it a try at some point though and I will be there to support him.
Did you get that recall notice in your mailbox?
Yup I did, thanks.

Midlife Advantage
01-02-2007, 10:26 PM
well, I am very honored. You quit on my birthday! Way to go bro, I got faith in ya.

acatitude
01-02-2007, 10:30 PM
well i cut my smoking way down.... said I was only going to smoke after sex, then my g/f left oh well just need to know if bj's count or not?:D

No Name
01-03-2007, 12:25 PM
Congratulations Shadow…..I’ll be joining you in about ten days. And at almost $6.00 a pack, I think it’s going to make it that much easier......this time. :D

shadow
01-03-2007, 05:13 PM
Congratulations Shadow…..I’ll be joining you in about ten days. And at almost $6.00 a pack, I think it’s going to make it that much easier......this time. :D
I think i'm at about 25 days now and it's pretty easy (knock on wood).every now and then i get the urge and just tell myself i'm a non smoker and move on.
The cost of smokes now a days makes it that much easier,thinking about how much i spent and could be spending,probablly over $150 per month.
The other helping factor is the people here who have quit and remind me it can be done along with encouraging words from others here on HB.
Good luck if you decide to quit!:)

Brady Bunch
01-03-2007, 05:42 PM
Life is too valuable to shorten it with smoking! To die from Lung Cancer or Heart Disease because of something that you willfully took part in is insane. Like Stoker said, "It's mind over matter." The weak will always go back to smoking and the strong will succeed!
Congrats and stay strong.....:D

SinCal
01-03-2007, 07:11 PM
Good for you Darrell. It's the best thing for your long term health:eek:

Boozer
01-03-2007, 08:18 PM
Congratulations on making it this far and Good luck making it all the way! I have been smoke free for about the same amount of time as you now. I'm hoping I can stay smoke free for good this time around. I can't tell you how many times I have quit for 2-3 months then gone back to the smokes. I'm hoping this time is different though because this time around I can get drunk and be around smokers and still fight the urge.
Best of Luck to the both of us!

shadow
01-04-2007, 06:08 AM
Congratulations on making it this far and Good luck making it all the way! I have been smoke free for about the same amount of time as you now. I'm hoping I can stay smoke free for good this time around. I can't tell you how many times I have quit for 2-3 months then gone back to the smokes. I'm hoping this time is different though because this time around I can get drunk and be around smokers and still fight the urge.
Best of Luck to the both of us!
Best of luck to you as well! I've been around the drinking and drinking myself and so far so good.
Keep us posted on your progress.:)

shadow
01-07-2007, 03:29 PM
30 DAYS!:)

Jordy
01-07-2007, 03:41 PM
Good job!!! :D :D :D

My Man's Sportin' Wood
01-07-2007, 04:25 PM
Keep it up Darrell! From what I understand, the urge will always be there. My dad started again after 10 years. :mad: I was so upset with him. He originally quit because his dr told him he was at risk for a stroke (I'm not supposed to know about that). So he gets scared and quits, then after 10 years, starts again. Why would someone put themselves through that torment again?
Glad I never started because I have no willpower, I would have never been able to quit.
The hardest part is over, from what I understand. Good luck!

shadow
01-07-2007, 04:45 PM
Keep it up Darrell! From what I understand, the urge will always be there. My dad started again after 10 years. :mad: I was so upset with him. He originally quit because his dr told him he was at risk for a stroke (I'm not supposed to know about that). So he gets scared and quits, then after 10 years, starts again. Why would someone put themselves through that torment again?
Glad I never started because I have no willpower, I would have never been able to quit.
The hardest part is over, from what I understand. Good luck!
Thanks & hopefully after this long i'll stay strong enough to stick with it.
Maybe it's just in my head but i already feel better.Sometimes i get an urge and thats way i drag up this post again to remind me.:)

shadow
01-07-2007, 04:45 PM
Good job!!! :D :D :D
Thanks Jordy!:)

MRSDRMCAT
01-07-2007, 05:46 PM
Thanks Jordy!:)
I am soooo proud of you! I don't know from personal experience but from what I have heard it is the hardest thing to kick. Not to offend anyone who does smoke, but it is a disgusting habit that also effect others around you!!!

Trailer Park Casanova
01-07-2007, 06:23 PM
I remember my dad quit smoking when it hit 25 cents a pack.
"Too expensive, but they've done something to them to make it harder to give it up" - he mentioned way back then.
He was right, and is still living into his late 80's.
You can too.
He quit drinking and driving when the fine hit $71 BTW.

shadow
01-07-2007, 06:36 PM
I remember my dad quit smoking when it hit 25 cents a pack.
"Too expensive, but they've done something to them to make it harder to give it up" - he mentioned way back then.
He was right, and is still living into his late 80's.
You can too.
He quit drinking and driving when the fine hit $71 BTW.
Shit i can only imagine how much i've spent over the past 25 plus years:eek:
If i can remember right i was about 13 or 14 when i started and at that time they were like 55 cents a pack.Saved about $150 just this past month.
Thanks MRSDRMCAT!:)

Member: 7673
01-07-2007, 06:41 PM
Congratulations Shadow, first couple of days are the hardest.

Brian
01-07-2007, 07:09 PM
I just spent the weekend visiting my Mother @Desert Regional Med Center in Palm Springs. She quit smoking some years ago but much too late and 55+ years of the habit has left her with emphysema and hugely reduced lung capacity. This time, a simple cold turned into an infection that turned into pneumonia that nearly killed her before getting her to the hospital. As far as I can tell, it really sucks to nearly suffocate in your own bed (or anywhere for that matter). She will be on O2 for the rest of her life, which is very sad because other than the emphysema and resulting chronic bronchitis, she's really quite healthy. For Shadow and others that are taking the steps to quit, congrats, hang in there, and you will be better off for your efforts. For the others out there that haven't, please consider the long term effects of smoking before it's too late...
:(

framer1
01-07-2007, 07:15 PM
30 DAYS!:)
Keep it up....it will only get easier:) After awhile you won't even think about it. Good job.

GHT
01-07-2007, 07:46 PM
Congrats Darrell!!! My wife hasn't hasn't had one in almost a year...
Stick with it...:D

Beer-30
01-07-2007, 08:17 PM
Thinking of others and your kids/grandkids as the reason for quitting is really good of you. Those of us that are bothered by second hand smoke really appreciate people who give it up and stick to it. You're a grown man that could just as easily continued to be selfish and do whatever you want regardless of family/other people. You chose to give it up for others, and that's huge. Two thumbs up.

purrfecttremor
01-07-2007, 09:12 PM
30 Days makes You a non smoker:wink:

shadow
01-08-2007, 05:47 AM
Thats what i'm thinking!;) Thanks again to you and all the others i keep referring back to this thread.It gives me a some daily encouragement.Although
now i'm going for if not a whole day at a time without an urge,almost all day without urges.

YeLLowBoaT
01-08-2007, 05:51 AM
Thats good.... So have you noticed that you have more cash in your wallet yet?

shadow
01-08-2007, 09:22 AM
Thats good.... So have you noticed that you have more cash in your wallet yet?
I always heard married men aren't allowed to carry cash.:D
Haven't noticed any huge savings yet.

Mr. Naudio
01-08-2007, 10:04 AM
I always heard married men aren't allowed to carry cash.:D
Haven't noticed any huge savings yet.
Keep it up D
Quit after 20yrs about 4 years ago only get the urge now when I drink beer good thing thats not to often,(he he he)
You con do it maan

shadow
01-12-2007, 07:39 PM
Well past 30 now.;) You said in a earlier post you saw me in the channel last summer.Stop by next time and say hello next time.:)

My Man's Sportin' Wood
01-12-2007, 08:08 PM
Have you noticed how strong the smell is on smokers yet? When I worked at the grocery store, I could tell when someone had smoked before they entered the store. . . and I was at the check out line. I would trip people out when I would ask if they wanted cigarettes. They would say, "How'd you know I smoke?" And I'd just shake my head.

2LKHVSU
01-12-2007, 08:23 PM
Well past 30 now.;))
Congratulations! keep it up! Be proud of yourself..we are all very proud of you! Nothing better than a bunch of HB'ers on your side!

purrfecttremor
01-12-2007, 08:28 PM
Well past 30 now.;) You said in a earlier post you saw me in the channel last summer.Stop by next time and say hello next time.:)
I was two boats away from you and tried to come over to ya a couple of times and got side tracked and then you were gone.Last year i said i owed you a beer for ah i cant remember but now i owe you many as you have inspired a friend to quit you dont eved know. Stay tough !!!:cool:

No Name
01-12-2007, 08:38 PM
Well past 30 now.;)
Right on brother, congratulations. I start Monday morning.

purrfecttremor
01-12-2007, 08:45 PM
I bet you can do it!!!!

BadKachina
01-14-2007, 11:30 PM
Right on brother, congratulations. I start Monday morning.
I'm at 2 weeks tommorrow Mark. Hitting the weights hard and walking with the wife every other night. I'm actually feeling really good at this point. I'm done with those nasty things. I didn't want to post anything for the first couple of weeks because I didn't think I could do it. Every day gets easier and easier. F those nasty things.

shadow
01-15-2007, 06:26 AM
I'm at 2 weeks tommorrow Mark. Hitting the weights hard and walking with the wife every other night. I'm actually feeling really good at this point. I'm done with those nasty things. I didn't want to post anything for the first couple of weeks because I didn't think I could do it. Every day gets easier and easier. F those nasty things.
Congrats and keep it up! It only gets easier everyday:)

andy01
01-15-2007, 08:49 AM
Congrats man, I go back and forth. I quit for four months..... now I am having a couple here and there, then none for a couple of days. Chewing gum/ with 2mg nic. and then a couple days later a couple of smokes. Went four months and then hit a wall in space, it never gets easier. I think it gets easier then harder. I don't know, but I know it is fooked. I watched my grandfather die from it last year, you would think I would learn. Oh well I'll get over it sooner or later. BUt a huge congrats! BTW just some thoughts it takes the average person 7 times to quit before it sticks, most people have no clue that it is harder to quit then haroin (sp). It is terrible, and people that smoke thier cloths stink like shit after you quit. But if you are standing in a parking lot and smell someone smoking it smells great, and how about the car five cars up at the light that the guy is smoking in and it smells like he is sitting next to you.
Andy

Debbolas
01-15-2007, 09:01 AM
Congrats on quiting smoking!!
Keep it up :D

Cole Trickle
01-15-2007, 09:46 AM
Congrats!!!
If you can go a whole year without smoking I say you reward yourself with a new Shadow/1000hp motor package:D
Now if we could just give up the whole beer thing;):devil: :jawdrop:

Focker
01-15-2007, 10:33 AM
Ya Being A Bitch To Live With? With No Smokes?

shadow
01-16-2007, 06:11 AM
Congrats!!!
If you can go a whole year without smoking I say you reward yourself with a new Shadow/1000hp motor package:D
Now if we could just give up the whole beer thing;):devil: :jawdrop:
Consider it done if thats the reward!;)

shadow
01-16-2007, 06:16 AM
Ya Being A Bitch To Live With? With No Smokes?
No amazingly enough i go all sometimes all day even thinking about a smoke now.Sometimes when i smell people smoke it's just kind of Neutral,they don't smell good to me like they used to and don't smell bad.
My sniffer seems to be working better though cause now i can smell a smoker
after they have already put out thier last smoke.

purrfecttremor
01-16-2007, 11:32 AM
And it only gets better;)

No Name
01-16-2007, 09:52 PM
Congrats Paul, now that smokes are almost 6.00 a pack everyone needs to quit. Lets put those bastards out of business…..lol. :D
Day two for me and already feeling better, lots more energy. Do yourself a favor and ride your mountain bike for 10 to 15 miles before your workouts it always makes mine much better after a nice ride. ;)

havifun
01-17-2007, 08:15 PM
So how many days are you at now? Without cheating?

shadow
01-18-2007, 06:27 AM
So how many days are you at now? Without cheating?
Like i said Earlier or somewhere else,I'm not one to hide and puff behind closed doors or when noone is looking.Haven't cheated once.;)
I quit December 10th so i've got somewhere around 40 days now. "If" i do break and start up again i will just do it and and not hide.:)

Not So Fast
01-18-2007, 08:53 AM
Like i said Earlier or somewhere else,I'm not one to hide and puff behind closed doors or when noone is looking.Haven't cheated once.;)
I quit December 10th so i've got somewhere around 40 days now. "If" i do break and start up again i will just do it and and not hide.:)
Words to live by Shadow, My doctor told me that quiting smoking is the single best decision I could make so in 1991 I quit after smoking for, I dont want to say how long. Keep at it!! NSF

purrfecttremor
01-31-2007, 05:48 AM
How Ya doing Darrel ?Hang in there:D :D

ILUVTHECOUCHEEEE
01-31-2007, 05:51 AM
I have 9 days :D

shadow
01-31-2007, 06:07 AM
Good for you!!!!!:)
It only gets easier and easier each day.Now i go all day with out even thinking about a smoke.
sometimes still think i like the smell of smoke and other times i smell ash tray on people and understand how rank smelling it really is.
Stay strong you can do it.
I'm closing in on 2 months now and only slipped up once with a couple of puffs from a smoke and was really disapointed with myself.I won't do it again.

GHT
01-31-2007, 06:25 AM
Still sticking with it, Darrell? That good. It's a good thing you decided to quit because I heard the Moderators are going to make ***boat Smoke Free..
Congrats and stick with it.... Think of all the extra gas for the toys you will be able to afford with all the extra money from not smoking cigs at amost $5 a pack..:D

purrfecttremor
01-31-2007, 11:27 AM
You sound like a non smoker now!

shadow
01-31-2007, 11:40 AM

shadow
02-08-2007, 07:42 PM
You sound like a non smoker now!
Now i'm feeling like a non smoker and i'd like to apologize to all the people that had to smell my ash tray smell.
Now that i quit i can smell the ash tray smell that everyone talks about.
Smoking for 25yrs+ i never noticed the stench until now.It's still not easy but i sure don't want to start up again.

EAZYKILLER2006
02-08-2007, 07:44 PM
not one lil sneak? a lil cheat ...yet? dang you r good!!! congrat!!!! hear its the hardest habit to break

BoatFloating
02-08-2007, 07:45 PM
D good to hear. My dad quit drinking and smoking cold turkey.... Now that makes what your doing look easy....

squirt'nmyload
02-08-2007, 07:49 PM
i have 4:) .......the only time i know that i'll want to have a smoke will be when i'm out boozin......this weekend will be the test!!!

shadow
02-08-2007, 07:51 PM
not one lil sneak? a lil cheat ...yet? dang you r good!!! congrat!!!! hear its the hardest habit to break
I did one time about 3 weeks ago not even a whole smoke,a feww hits.
I was pissed at myself for even doing that and haven't touched one since.
So yes i slipped once but am not even tempted to do it again.It aint gonna happen now that i've made it this far.

shadow
02-08-2007, 07:54 PM
D good to hear. My dad quit drinking and smoking cold turkey.... Now that makes what your doing look easy....
Yeah probablly after i called you and said i heard your dad died that time.:redface: probablly thought i better quit.:)
Who would have known there was 2 Rockys.:confused:
Great news for him and i wish him the best for all of your sakes,Trev will get to enjoy his Grandpa for more years now.:)

shadow
02-08-2007, 07:58 PM
i have 4:) .......the only time i know that i'll want to have a smoke will be when i'm out boozin......this weekend will be the test!!!
You can do it! stay strong.
I didn't drink for the first few weeks cause i knew that would be the toughest time.

Havasu1986
02-08-2007, 08:00 PM
Good job Darrel. Don't sweat the couple of hits. It's not like AA where you have to start your sober birthday over again.:D Still looking for that bar in Havi called "The Gym". Gotta go ..out a Coors Lite.:mad:

EAZYKILLER2006
02-08-2007, 08:00 PM
So yes i slipped once but am not even tempted to do it again.It aint gonna happen now that i've made it this far.
so what do u think is harder to quit smoking or drinking...i am suppose to be "a quitter" the drinking thing...doesnt seem to be working lol:(

squirt'nmyload
02-08-2007, 08:01 PM
You can do it! stay strong.
I didn't drink for the first few weeks cause i knew that would be the toughest time.
i'm thinking i might have to do that too:)

shadow
02-08-2007, 08:03 PM
Good job Darrel. Don't sweat the couple of hits. It's not like AA where you have to start your sober birthday over again.:D Still looking for that bar in Havi called "The Gym". Gotta go ..out a Coors Lite.:mad:
Went to that bar tonight and after an hr with free weights hit the tread mill.;)

squirt'nmyload
02-08-2007, 08:04 PM
so what do u think is harder to quit smoking or drinking...i am suppose to be "a quitter" the drinking thing...doesnt seem to be working lol:(
i could stop drinking without blinking an eye:)....for me smoking is way harder:)

shadow
02-08-2007, 08:05 PM
I don't think i could quit both especially at the same time.Took me 25yrs+
to even think about quiting smoking.

Havasu1986
02-08-2007, 08:06 PM
Went to that bar tonight and after an hr with free weights hit the tread mill.;)
What kind of beer is "Free Weights" and why are you hitting a treadmill. Is that slang for shuffell board.

ULTRA26 # 1
02-08-2007, 08:08 PM
That is way cool. It's a good thing when you get pissed at youeself. Shows you really want it

shadow
02-08-2007, 08:10 PM
What kind of beer is "Free Weights" and why are you hitting a treadmill. Is that slang for shuffell board.
Lmao:D
Bobby you keep me laughing!

Havasu1986
02-08-2007, 08:12 PM
Lmao:D
Bobby you keep me laughing!
Mission Acomplished. Tech boy.:D

EAZYKILLER2006
02-08-2007, 08:35 PM
i could stop drinking without blinking an eye:)....for me smoking is way harder:)
to quit drinking FOREVER? naw drinking is way harder... think about it "forever"

squirt'nmyload
02-08-2007, 09:08 PM
to quit drinking FOREVER? naw drinking is way harder... think about it "forever"
ok ok....you didn't say forever:D :D :D

ULTRA26 # 1
09-11-2007, 08:17 AM
Darrel,
Not sure how you are doing with not smoking. I was a 40 year pack a day smoker until a month ago. There is a new medicine called Chantix to help with cravings. You take the med a week before our quit date. So far I have had no desire to smoke. Of course I have had smoking thoughts, but real desire. I don't drink any more so I don't have the have a beer have a smoke issues To anyone out there that wants to quit, this stuff makes it much less painful.
John M

Mrs. 20
09-11-2007, 09:00 AM
20" Guns and I quit cold turkey 4 years ago. We both used to smoke over a pack a day. It took a long time, but I can honestly say now I have NO URGE to smoke anymore. The smell really bothers both of us now. Keep strong. You will not miss it, I promise.:)

Pheelin Phroggy
09-11-2007, 09:01 AM
after 24 years of smoking...both my wife and I went to a little chinese guy in Orange for Acupuncture.... drove home with a pack of smokes next to me through O.C. traffic.. never picked one up... 6 years later.. still have not picked one up. Only hard part was changing after meal routines.. Find a hobby, ours was building a nice oak bar in the house a little at a time.

Pheelin Phroggy
09-11-2007, 09:06 AM
however, it did not help my spelling one bit!

ck7684
09-11-2007, 10:48 AM
My grandpa quit smoking cold turkey and it never seemed to bother him. He even kept a pack in his shirt pocket just in case he wanted one. My dad tried everything, and the nicotine inhaler worked for him. Got to where he had the thing with none of the inserts, but it kept his nerves in check...

photo chick
09-11-2007, 10:55 AM
Darrel,
Not sure how you are doing with not smoking. I was a 40 year pack a day smoker until a month ago. There is a new medicine called Chantix to help with cravings. You take the med a week before our quit date. So far I have had no desire to smoke. Of course I have had smoking thoughts, but real desire. I don't drink any more so I don't have the have a beer have a smoke issues To anyone out there that wants to quit, this stuff makes it much less painful.
John M
My mom and my husband both quit by taking Chantix. I continue to smoke infront of him and in the five weeks since he quit he's never had the urge to have one...guess it's my turn!

shadow
09-11-2007, 11:02 AM
funny this thread should come up again.
Sorry to say i made it 4 months and got weak when summer kicked in,
Although i've got a couple days down now and am trying again.I think if i would have had 6 months down before summer kicked into gear i could have made it.
Quitting has proven to be the hardest thing i've ever done.

photo chick
09-11-2007, 11:05 AM
I quit for a year once......I'm an idiot to have started back up!!

ULTRA26 # 1
09-11-2007, 12:15 PM
My mom and my husband both quit by taking Chantix. I continue to smoke infront of him and in the five weeks since he quit he's never had the urge to have one...guess it's my turn!
Seriously, this stuff is amazing.
John M

ULTRA26 # 1
09-11-2007, 12:20 PM
funny this thread should come up again.
Sorry to say i made it 4 months and got weak when summer kicked in,
Although i've got a couple days down now and am trying again.I think if i would have had 6 months down before summer kicked into gear i could have made it.
Quitting has proven to be the hardest thing i've ever done.
Darrel,
I was thinking of you this morning. Last time I saw you, you were just smoking again on weekends and we both know that wouldn't last. Chantix, which is a new medicine, made quiting at least for me, not that difficult.
I learned of if from friend that used it and he too was 35 to 40 year smoker.
If you find yourself struggling again, I recommend this new aid.
John M