PDA

View Full Version : Focken Theives...Dodge question

Outnumbered
12-27-2006, 10:17 PM
Forgot to lock the Durango and some dirt bag rummaged through it and took my radar detector. No biggie, it was a 15 year old model anyway. I luckily do not leave the garage opener in it so that was cool too.
What I am most worried about is them making a key for the truck. They went through my owner's manual and that seemed odd to me. I know GM used to have those plastic keys in the manual. Does Dodge put those in their new trucks? What about key codes? Are they somewhere in the new car paperwork? Fock, this shit pisses me off.
Thanks!!!

YeLLowBoaT
12-27-2006, 10:59 PM
they could have a key made with just the vin number...If they want in your truck... they will get in.

Outnumbered
12-27-2006, 11:22 PM
they could have a key made with just the vin number...If they want in your truck... they will get in.
That's right. The VIN can be seen from the outside on the dash and with a connection inside the dealer the key could be made. I guess it would be a good idea to cover up the dash VIN for future reference.

YeLLowBoaT
12-27-2006, 11:34 PM
That's right. The VIN can be seen from the outside on the dash and with a connection inside the dealer the key could be made. I guess it would be a good idea to cover up the dash VIN for future reference.
That's not a good idea, my point was if they want your truck... thier going to take it. even if they don't have key... there are plenty of windows for them to break.

Outnumbered
12-27-2006, 11:39 PM
That's not a good idea, my point was if they want your truck... thier going to take it. even if they don't have key... there are plenty of windows for them to break.
I know. You just made me think of another way they could get it that would not attract much attention--walk up with a factory key and drive away.

YeLLowBoaT
12-27-2006, 11:46 PM
most car manufactors only make like 15-20 keys a year. so if some one has a master set( which is not hard to get your hands on) there going to take it anyways. Best thing to do is just INS it. I've been hit by ppl having master keys and getting in a car( trunk) My grandfather has gotten into the wrong car more then once with his keys. ( Hes no longer 100% there)

MudPumper
12-27-2006, 11:52 PM
Master Key = Screwdriver

JAY4SPEED
12-27-2006, 11:54 PM
We have a policy at my dealership that you have to show proof of ownership to get a master key cut for a vehicle (GM). I can't get a key cut from the master code for my own vehicle without documents and I work there...LoL. I hope they didn't steal the registration. That and a picture ID is what we need for the proof of ownership.
Jay

Outnumbered
12-28-2006, 12:29 AM
We have a policy at my dealership that you have to show proof of ownership to get a master key cut for a vehicle (GM). I can't get a key cut from the master code for my own vehicle without documents and I work there...LoL. I hope they didn't steal the registration. That and a picture ID is what we need for the proof of ownership.
Jay
Nope, they didn't find it. Thanks for the info.