PDA

View Full Version : Question for you Jeep guys

monkey rage frank
12-28-2006, 05:00 AM
I just bought a jeep and want to tow it to glamis. I know of a few ways to tow it, what to you guys normally do? I see a lot of jeeps behind mohomes and am wondering if all these guys disconnest their drivelines or not? My jeep has a tow bar and is hooked up with running lights, the previous owner did not tow it, but the jeep came with these towing tools. Frank

phebus
12-28-2006, 06:44 AM
You just have to put the tranny, and the transfer case in neutral. It's covered in the owners manual if your Jeep came with it.

NdaWind
12-28-2006, 07:39 AM
Some jeeps have different set ups but the tranny, and the transfer case in neutral is the most widely used. If we flat tow our 97 TJ I put transfer in neutral and tranny in Park (auto). Could do the neutral eutral thing but this way if anything goes wrong with tranfer case only the transfer case is hosed.

Mandelon
12-28-2006, 08:04 AM
I tow mine flat too. I had to get an adjustable hitch that would bring the tow ball up a foot or so to reach the height of my Jeep's tow bar.
I put the transfer case in neutral and leave the stick shifter in neutral as well. I hear you are supposed to put it in gear to keep the unit together, but I worry it could engage and cause more issues.
Make sure you leave the key in it and turned enough to disengage the steering lock!!! But not all the way on.
So far no problems.
Don't try to back up more than two feet or so though, the wheels want to turn.
I bought a set of magnetic trailer lights. The stick on the back corners and work great. I was worried they'd fall off, but they hold on for offroad towing and 75 mph winds...

Wet Dream
12-28-2006, 08:18 AM
What year is the Jeep, and what setup do you have? Disconnecting the driveline is the best way to go. 4 bolts, strap it up and its done. Putting it in neutral does not protect it. Even though the transfer case might be in neutral, you could damage the bearings. Transmissions (manual) and transfer cases use the rotation of the gears to splash the oil and keep the bearings and gears lubed and cooled. When you are towing, the rear driveline is still spinning, and its spinning inside the transfer case. If there isn't enough oil to bathe the output shaft bearings seals, you will fry your X-er case. Get a disconnecting driveline, or locking hubs for the rear, or crawl underneath and start wrenching.

TCHB
12-28-2006, 08:27 AM
What year is the Jeep, and what setup do you have? Disconnecting the driveline is the best way to go. 4 bolts, strap it up and its done. Putting it in neutral does not protect it. Even though the transfer case might be in neutral, you could damage the bearings. Transmissions (manual) and transfer cases use the rotation of the gears to splash the oil and keep the bearings and gears lubed and cooled. When you are towing, the rear driveline is still spinning, and its spinning inside the transfer case. If there isn't enough oil to bathe the output shaft bearings seals, you will fry your X-er case. Get a disconnecting driveline, or locking hubs for the rear, or crawl underneath and start wrenching.
Yes I agree and my father in law found out the hard way$$$$$$$$$$$$

Wet Dream
12-28-2006, 08:32 AM
Yes I agree and my father in law found out the hard way$$$$$$$$$$$$
I have yet too see a Jeep manual that says you'll be ok with neutral/neutral.
Maybe for a short tow (5 miles or less), but never for long distances.

NdaWind
12-28-2006, 08:50 AM
I have towed both ways thousands of miles and have had no problems. Now we tow with flat bed trailer and its the easiest way to do it especially for desert where parking is plentiful. Know the info about your jeep and call All 4 Wheel Drive at 951.277.1037. He has a shop over in Corona for years and knows his shiat.

Snoseal
12-28-2006, 08:55 AM
I pull my '01 Wrangler behind the Motor coach all the time. I put the transfer case in Neutral and the Transmission in 5th. I have the Tow Master towing package with the four pin light adapter going out the grill. I have towed it thousands of miles. For long trips, I start the Jeep when we stop every 200-300 miles. This provides sufficient lubricant.
If you want additional sourcesÂ’ of information, contact an RV supply place or Motorhome Magazine has a Dingy (tow vehicle) issue every year that provides a plethora of information.

monkey rage frank
12-28-2006, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the info. I have a 1954 willys dana 44 rear end 32 inch bfgs three speed trans. 350 chevy small block. I will look into a flat bed and or disonnecting the driveline. I just see a lot of people towing with mohomes and wondered if everyone disconnected or not. Thanks again Frank

My Man's Sportin' Wood
12-28-2006, 05:58 PM
Sportin' Wood here,
If you have a Dana 300 TC in that rig, disconect the driveshaft. They do not allow oiling with out a modification which I believe Jason Bunch from Tri county gear came up with. I'm not sure on other models, I always discountect the driveshaft when flat towing. 4 small bolts and a bungie cord.

Wet Dream
12-28-2006, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the info. I have a 1954 willys dana 44 rear end 32 inch bfgs three speed trans. 350 chevy small block. I will look into a flat bed and or disonnecting the driveline. I just see a lot of people towing with mohomes and wondered if everyone disconnected or not. Thanks again Frank
Definately disconnect!!!! That Jeep was not made for towing. I used to have a 1950 CJ-3A, with a 307, 4 speed and 33" Mickeys, and a full cage on it and a 2 1/2" Rancho lift. I could burn rubber in 1st and 2nd and chirp the hell out of 3rd and 4th. Super light Jeeps with alot of power, and could hammer that throttle and fly through the worst bogs.

work2play
12-28-2006, 09:06 PM
To tow your jeep. Turn the key to the on position. This unlocks the steering. Then accidently knock the trany into first gear. When you get up to 5 mph the engine will start. When you get up to 40 you will throw a rod through the block. Then when you get to your distination you have no need to go to all the work of unhooking your jeep. My elderly parents did this one.

sintax
12-29-2006, 12:48 AM
For long trips, I start the Jeep when we stop every 200-300 miles. This provides sufficient lubricant.
We hit the nail on the head here. Any time you are going to flat tow you want to remember to do this. The transfercase in ALL late model jeeps (made after 86 for CJs and 84 for Cherokee) are NOT oil slinging transfercases, this means they have a pump that runs off of the drive that flows oil to all of the bearings. If they are not started every 150-250 miles they rear output bearing will cook in the transfercase.
How often you want to stop and fire it up will depend on how much you want to change that bearing =)
I have a few spare housings w/ bearings laying around if anyone makes a mistake.

superdave013
12-29-2006, 02:18 AM
something like that would be nice to have locking hubs on the rear too. And not just for flat towing on the road.

YeLLowBoaT
12-29-2006, 03:13 AM
Some of the the newer jeeps have you start them up, warm it up and drive it for a mile, then tow it. it is something you have to do every X ammount of miles.

monkey rage frank
12-29-2006, 04:54 AM
Thanks guys I will go with disconnecting. Most people I have talked to have said disconect due the equipment that i have. The jeep is a hell of a lot of fun, cherpin the tires in all gears is a blast, especially next a rice burnner.