PDA

View Full Version : Does Villaraigosa really think the CITIZENS of L.A. are this stupid

Kilrtoy
01-03-2007, 08:35 PM
Mayor backs 2nd term for chief
Villaraigosa endorses Bratton, citing five-year drop in crime to levels last seen in 1956. Gang violence remains a troubling exception.
By Patrick McGreevy and Tony Barboza, Times Staff Writers
January 3, 2007
Graphic
L.A. crime statistics
click to enlargeCiting a dramatic reduction in crime in Los Angeles, Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa said Tuesday that he supports giving Police Chief William J. Bratton a second five-year term.
Standing beside the sometimes outspoken chief during a police roll call at the Central Division station, Villaraigosa gave Bratton a surprisingly early endorsement, considering that the Police Commission won't formally take up the issue until March, although it recently gave him its highest possible rating in an annual performance review.
Bratton's current term ends in October.
If he is retained, Bratton would be the first chief to be kept on since the 1992 revisions of the City Charter, which gave the civilian Police Commission power to reappoint the chief.
The progressive Latino mayor's backing of a tough-on-crime chief is all the more meaningful because Bratton was appointed by former Mayor James K. Hahn, whom Villaraigosa defeated in the 2005 election.
The mayor made his comments at a news conference, noting that the overall 7.7% reduction in serious crime marked the fifth consecutive year of decline — now to a rate last seen in 1956.
Gang-related crime increased about 14% through November, and Bratton said he intends to make that a department focus in the year ahead.
"I think the numbers speak for themselves," Villaraigosa said. "The fact that morale is up in the department. Crime is down in almost every category. The fact that we are the second-safest big city in America with only half the resources that New York has. The fact that we haven't been, on a per-capita basis, as safe as we are in Los Angeles since I was 3 years old in 1956. So I can tell you I do support another five-year term for Chief Bratton."

Misogynist
01-03-2007, 09:12 PM
Wasn't Villaraigosa an accountant for Enron before he was elected Mayor?... Nice way to skew the figures... :mad:

JB in so cal
01-03-2007, 09:15 PM
Soooo... being an outsider, you don't like your boss, KToy!???

SHOTKALLIN
01-04-2007, 02:21 AM
there are burglar bars everywhere in L.A. its for a good reason too.

RitcheyRch
01-04-2007, 04:55 AM
Been hearing crime is down for the past few years. The news this morning said some crimes was down but overall violent type crimes were up.

Waist Deep
01-04-2007, 05:06 AM
LA is always going to be a shithole no matter who is in charge. All these guys are full of crap.
Do they really think gang banging is controllable? Should have started to think about this years ago before they let em all in.

Huckleberry
01-04-2007, 10:16 AM
Crime stats are just numbers, and anyone who is good with numbers can make them say anything they want to. Is Slick Tony saying it is safe to walk the streets of South Central on Friday night wearing your brand new Rolex? Back in 1956 you could. Today it'll get ya jacked or shot! I don't care what crap they spew...LA is a shiathole.

Get415
01-04-2007, 10:26 AM
huckleberry has got it!!!
Thats is exactly what they are doing. Fugging #'s to be what they need. BTW why is it that West bureau officers are here in the valley tryin to help the good fight and reduce crime as promised by the chief. Don't think folk that live over there would be to happy to know they have fewer officers in their area because of some B.S. numbers game. Stats are at the hands of some creative person down town and the direction of crime input by records clerks...:idea:

HALLETT BOY
01-04-2007, 10:58 AM
I have never seen any other politician pose for as many photo ops as Villaraigosa...actions speak louder than words .Unforntunatley most people in
LA will believe him...

Big Warlock
01-04-2007, 11:52 AM
What's the problem? Does the police union endorse the guy?

Kilrtoy
01-04-2007, 04:20 PM
What's the problem? Does the police union endorse the guy?
WHY would anyone with a 1/8th of a brain support a ACLU lawyer

YeLLowBoaT
01-04-2007, 04:36 PM
Damn, so we are talking smaller then a bb?? :D

roostwear
01-04-2007, 05:36 PM
Why would anyone with 1/8 of a brain have VOTED for Villaraigosa? Never mind. I forgot the makeup of LA......

echo
01-04-2007, 05:43 PM
would not have guessed you are 53 years old miguel.

echo
01-04-2007, 05:46 PM
now i see it is antonio who is 56, not to swift at my reading.

LaveyOne
01-04-2007, 06:07 PM
I have never seen any other politician pose for as many photo ops as Villaraigosa...actions speak louder than words .Unforntunatley most people in
LA will believe him...
Jeez, NO KIDDING !!! :mad:
Can't stand the guy ... I think he's running neck-and-neck in a publicity contest w/ Queen B*TCH, Gloria Allred. :rolleyes:

HM
01-04-2007, 06:10 PM
Don't forget, he cleans our toilets.:rolleyes:

Flyinbowtie
01-04-2007, 07:30 PM
Several years back, while working a crank task force, my team had wound up putting together "several" warrants for sales/poss4sale/and other related offenses, in a singular jurisdiction that didn't participate in the task force or support it.
Over the period of about 14 days, we made a bunch of arrests, and the local paper got hold of it; the sweep made the front page of the paper in that town.
As supervisor of the task force, my boss always kept me up to speed on what was being said on the local rubber-chicken circuit.
He told me that the mayor of the town had approached him. He said he expected the guy to thank him, but the guy was angry, and said, "Your narcs are making my town look like the meth capitol of this area"
My boss just grinned, and replied, "Well, it seems to be, doesn't it?"
Politicians prioritize only one thing, getting re-elected.
It is going to take a major shift in priorities, funding, judicial predisposition, and direction before any major dent is made in crime in this state, let alone its largest city.
I don't see that coming anytime soon.