PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever gone to the Houston Boat show?

HTRDLNCN
01-04-2007, 08:16 AM
Starts this friday, since I just moved out here never been myself,
being spoiled by going to the Miami and Ft Lauderdale boat shows all my life
I am wondering if its worth the 3hour drive to hit this one?
http://houstonboatshows.com/2006_boat_shows_welcome.html

brianthomas
01-04-2007, 08:56 AM
Just got back from Houston on Monday. Could not stay for the boat show but wanted to. We have a place in Galveston and a boat on Clear Lake but it is for sale and has been for a year now.
What do you think of Lake Travis? We are 10 years from retirement and are planning to visit Austin and the lake this fall to look at lots. I hear great things about this lake and we want something at least this far south and have always loved Texas. Is it too busy in the summer?

HTRDLNCN
01-04-2007, 09:27 AM
Travis is pretty nice, about 60 miles long,plenty of coves,nice scenery.
The drought this year has really lowered the lake,happens in 5 year cycles more or less. Its about 30-40ft lower than the avg right now but seeing as
the lake typically tanges in depth from 50 to over 150ft its not a big deal. What is a big deal is for trailered boats. Right now there are no public ramps that are usable. I keep mine at a slip right down the block from my house so Im lucky . Its gets busy on holiday weeknds in the summer. I typically avoid going out on the big weekends. During the week and winter its deserted. Lots of the big dogs go out during this time , you can hear the roar of them going down the lake from my house.
I have been coming here every august last ten years,after seeing prices go up I bought property here 4 years ago and finally Florida property taxes,insurance and overcrowding made me move here 6 months ago.
I live on the north shore in Lago Vista , its hilly and much less populated than the south shore but further from the center of Austin.
Because of the changing lake levels there arent many places to park and party on the lake, Carlos and Charlies is the biggest but their docks are out of the water half the timelike now, You have Johnny Fins, Shades which is only open in the summer and little else. Coming from Florida where you cant move your boat with hitting a bar or restaurant this has been the biggest adjustment i had to make.
Lots of huge+great state parks around lake where you can camp out as well.
Lastly if you plan on buying close or on the water I suggest you look NOW.. Land is being gobbled up quickly and prices go up daily. Taxes are also rather high though not as bad as Florida. I pay $4600 on $300k of property. Most of that in my area is for schools, and we have some damn good ones and the ratio of teachers per student are among the highest I have seen.
Even if you need schools it does bring a much nicer quality of people to live here.
If you can live with being 60min drive from Downtown Austin I highly reccomend the Lago Vista and Point Venture area..
go here to get a lot of city stats:
http://www.bestplaces.net/city/profile.aspx?city=Lago_Vista_TX

brianthomas
01-04-2007, 10:42 AM
The drought this year has really lowered the lake,happens in 5 year cycles more or less. Its about 30-40ft lower than the avg right now but seeing as
the lake typically tanges in depth from 50 to over 150ft its not a big deal. What is a big deal is for trailered boats. Right now there are no public ramps that are usable. I keep mine at a slip right down the block from my house so Im lucky . Its gets busy on holiday weeknds in the summer. I typically avoid going out on the big weekends. During the week and winter its deserted. Lots of the big dogs go out during this time , you can hear the roar of them going down the lake from my house.
I have been coming here every august last ten years,after seeing prices go up I bought property here 4 years ago and finally Florida property taxes,insurance and overcrowding made me move here 6 months ago.
I live on the north shore in Lago Vista , its hilly and much less populated than the south shore but further from the center of Austin.
Because of the changing lake levels there arent many places to park and party on the lake, Carlos and Charlies is the biggest but their docks are out of the water half the timelike now, You have Johnny Fins, Shades which is only open in the summer and little else. Coming from Florida where you cant move your boat with hitting a bar or restaurant this has been the biggest adjustment i had to make.
Lastly if you plan on buying close or on the water I suggest you look NOW.. Land is being gobbled up quickly and prices go up daily. Taxes are also rather high though not as bad as Florida. I pay $4600 on $300k of property. Most of that in my area is for schools, and we have some damn good ones and the ratio of teachers per student are among the highest I have seen.
Even if you need schools it does bring a much nicer quality of people to live here.
If you can live with being 60min drive from Downtown Austin I highly reccomend the Lago Vista and Point Venture area..
Sounds like what we are looking for. We thought Galveston was the place for us but salt boating is just not what we want. We are used to the Mississippi River and not endless expanses of water. What makes the lake level change so much? Are they letting water out for irrigation or hydroelectric?

rrrr
01-04-2007, 09:27 PM
I have. The Dallas Boat Show is MUCH better. Prolly twice as big and lots more cool stuff too.

ratso
01-05-2007, 01:32 PM
One of my best friends lives in Lago Vista... about 5 minutes from the boat ramp... Pretty decent area.

Old Texan
01-05-2007, 01:57 PM
Unless you are going to buy and looking for a deal, it really isn't anything that special. Certainly nowhere in the league of Miami and Lauderdale.
90% trailer boats- ski, fishing, etc. There'll be a few "***boats" and medium sized cruisers, sailboats, etc.
If you like fishing, lots of electronics, tackle, salt water fishing seminars and guide services it could be worth the trip.
I agree that Dallas is better but it still ain't Miami.