PDA

View Full Version : Check it...

UnionJack
01-04-2007, 05:20 PM
Ken is the guy trying to Sail around the world, and he is now in Distress and they are getting ready to rescue him, I thought the ***boat family would like to know. Both of his Daughters have worked for DCB at one time, and there family is a big Havasu Family. So check out his website....
www.kensolo.com

Kilrtoy
01-04-2007, 05:31 PM
As in Taryns father
Wow I have been following this story

UnionJack
01-04-2007, 05:39 PM
Yep, he's the dad of both :D

UnionJack
01-04-2007, 05:40 PM
Hello, my name is Ken Barnes. I am 47 years old. I was born and raised in Southern California and no, I am not crazy. I suppose the question I am asked most after the “what” is understood -and believe me that takes a few minutes to be understood- “Is why do you want to do this?”
I have tried to figure it out myself because when that question is posed so many times even I get to thinking there must be a deeper reason than “because I want to.”
When talking to people, I can see in their eyes many of them have dreams and desires that they never attempt because of stuff. Stuff like kids, wife, obligations, debts, responsibilities and career tracks. But mostly fear, not of what they want to do, but of what the consequences in their lives will be if they attempt it.
About 12 years ago, I faced the same question and started to direct my life to a point where on October 28th, 2006 hopefully I will be ready. I did not wake up one day and say “hey, everyone watch this.” For many years, probably from the age of 10, I have liked the solitude of sailing, the adventure, the adrenaline associated with the chance encounter of the unknown.
I have been actively preparing for this personally and financially for several years. My son, Dayne is 22 and 3 + years into a 5 year enlistment in the Navy as a master at arms. I also have twin daughters who are 21and are recent graduates of The Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising (FIDM).
My daughter, Teryn currently travels around the country helping set up motorcycle stunt events and hopes to pursue a career in her major, merchandise marketing after she has seen the country a bit. My daughter, Brittney recently started a job as a wardrobe stylist for a new show starring Bo Derek. The show is produced in San Diego.
I am divorced, nothing to do with this attempt, honest. So that poses no problems. I have over the years whittled my financial obligations down to-taxes. It took me years to be debt free, but I don’t believe in leaving someone else holding the bag for my dreams. That includes the boat and everything on it should things not go as planned.
As for career, well I did not really see my pool business as something that would shake financial markets around the world to their core if sold. So, over the past 20 years I built it up, let it pay my way and sold it.
More>>>

GrapeApe
01-04-2007, 05:40 PM
Ken is the guy trying to Sail around the world, and he is now in Distress and they are getting ready to rescue him, I thought the ***boat family would like to know. Both of his Daughters have worked for DCB at one time, and there family is a big Havasu Family. So check out his website....
www.kensolo.com
I hope it all turns out well, so he may Sail another day..
I have met one of the daughters at the River.. She was very nice..
*** Grape Ape ***

UnionJack
01-04-2007, 05:43 PM
Yes, Teryn and Brittney

GrapeApe
01-04-2007, 05:44 PM
Yes, Teryn and Brittney
Thanks.. I changed the ? after I saw your post..
*** GrapeApe ***

HocusPocus
01-04-2007, 06:01 PM
i saw that one the news last night, hope he makes it home safe.

UnionJack
01-04-2007, 06:15 PM
I think he will be rescued tonight

Phat Matt
01-04-2007, 06:18 PM
Is that why "Kachina Ken" hasn't posted lately? :D

UnionJack
01-04-2007, 06:23 PM
I think a Kachina would of broken down much sooner.

Phat Matt
01-04-2007, 06:30 PM
I think a Kachina would of broken down much sooner.
:eek:
:D