PDA

View Full Version : Tandem or Triple axle

Wild Horses
01-26-2006, 11:36 AM
What are the real benefits of a triple over a tandem.
33' Outlaw 7500 lbs.
If I get a 10400 lb tandem axle is it any worse than a 13000 triple for this application.
Thanks for any and all input.
Clint

dirty old man
01-26-2006, 11:43 AM
trips

LAFD
01-26-2006, 11:43 AM
not an expert in any means but my thoughts are a triple axle has better weight distribution and tows really straight. no sure but might even be a little lighter in the tonge weight but that is just a guess..

Tom Brown
01-26-2006, 11:45 AM
Tripples scrub the front tires in extremely few miles and they are really hard to turn tightly.
I'd go with double.
Of course, if you want to look like a baller... the more axles the better. :cool:

Liquid Courage
01-26-2006, 11:46 AM
Go tripple. I've had both and LAFD is correct. The main thing is that if you get a blow out and don't have the spare or blow a barring you can still get to your destination with relative ease.

Sleek-Jet
01-26-2006, 11:47 AM
In the immortal words of RiverDave...
Go triples or go home... :D

Froggystyle
01-26-2006, 11:52 AM
What are the real benefits of a triple over a tandem.
33' Outlaw 7500 lbs.
If I get a 10400 lb tandem axle is it any worse than a 13000 triple for this application.
Thanks for any and all input.
Clint
For a boat that size, triples are actually applicable. They distribute the load over six tires and not four, so there is a lower load per tire.
Most boats running triple axle tires certainly don't need them however, and there are a lot of problems associated with triples.
They are heavier, with more moving parts. You add 1/3 to your trailer tire cost and maintenance. They radically wear the front or rear two tires when maneuvering and fatigue the sidewall getting dragged around. They are MUCH harder to maneuver in tight spaces, and nearly impossible by hand. If you blow out a middle tire, it is very difficult to jack that axle up because of the reach from the outside of the other tires. Contrary to popular belief, you cannot remove a wheel altogether and keep on truckin, so there is no redundancy advantage.
Advantages? Look pretty cool. Allows a lower load rating tire (20" rims for example" to be used instead of trailer rated tires.
I have been conflicted as hell as to what to do on our boats stock. Tandem is a better choice for us because of the extremely light weight of the boat, but triples look bling. People for some reason expect triples on a boat this expensive even though there is nothing but downside to running them.
I dunno....

Froggystyle
01-26-2006, 11:54 AM
Go tripple. I've had both and LAFD is correct. The main thing is that if you get a blow out and don't have the spare or blow a barring you can still get to your destination with relative ease.
How? The axle will lay on the ground on one side with a standard spring setup, and a torsion axle will articulate all the way to the ground.
Unless you chain it into the up position, there is no moving it with the wheel gone. If you can chain it up, you can do that with a tandem.

LAFD
01-26-2006, 11:56 AM
For a boat that size, triples are actually applicable. They distribute the load over six tires and not four, so there is a lower load per tire.
Most boats running triple axle tires certainly don't need them however, and there are a lot of problems associated with triples.
They are heavier, with more moving parts. You add 1/3 to your trailer tire cost and maintenance. They radically wear the front or rear two tires when maneuvering and fatigue the sidewall getting dragged around. They are MUCH harder to maneuver in tight spaces, and nearly impossible by hand. If you blow out a middle tire, it is very difficult to jack that axle up because of the reach from the outside of the other tires. Contrary to popular belief, you cannot remove a wheel altogether and keep on truckin, so there is no redundancy advantage.
Advantages? Look pretty cool. Allows a lower load rating tire (20" rims for example" to be used instead of trailer rated tires.
I have been conflicted as hell as to what to do on our boats stock. Tandem is a better choice for us because of the extremely light weight of the boat, but triples look bling. People for some reason expect triples on a boat this expensive even though there is nothing but downside to running them.
I dunno....
you should run a triple axle with all the axles on airbags. than when time comes for tight turning lift an axle. that would be sick. i havent forgot about the pics froggy my home computer took a dump. sorry i didnt contact you about it...

Havasu Hangin'
01-26-2006, 11:58 AM
That boat will weigh closer to 9,000lbs with gas, and 12,000lbs with the weight of the trailer.
Triples (or you will be going through bearings and/or tires).

Froggystyle
01-26-2006, 12:04 PM
That boat will weigh closer to 9,000lbs with gas, and 12,000lbs with the weight of the trailer.
Triples (or you will be going through bearings and/or tires).
Agreed. Like I mentioned, his is one of the applications where a triple axle is appropriate.
From now on, when I see a 26 on triples, I am going to think about how heavy that boat must be to need them... ;)

Big Warlock
01-26-2006, 12:05 PM
Triples run better, no sway, weight distribution and better control. Tire wear is a problem and the only disadvantage I have found. But I won't do a double axle trailer anytime soon.

Froggystyle
01-26-2006, 12:05 PM
you should run a triple axle with all the axles on airbags. than when time comes for tight turning lift an axle. that would be sick. i havent forgot about the pics froggy my home computer took a dump. sorry i didnt contact you about it...
No drama... I have been totally covered up and forgot about it altogether.
:cry:

Wild Horses
01-26-2006, 12:09 PM
Thanks for all of the input so for. I have seen people knock tires off of there rims when running triples turning corners and hitting curbs.
My trailer house weighs 12000 lbs and is a tandem, it tows great and I have never had any problem with tires or bearings. I have towed it from Calgary to Puerto Penasco so I'm just not sure about the added expense of the purchase price and maintenance.
Clint

Havasu Hangin'
01-26-2006, 12:10 PM
Agreed. Like I mentioned, his is one of the applications where a triple axle is appropriate.
From now on, when I see a 26 on triples, I am going to think about how heavy that boat must be to need them... ;)
Yeah...that funny.
Chopper gun = triples
Froggycraft = single
:D
Most of the standard axle setups I see are rated between 3,500-5,000 lbs. Many people forget that a trailer that size will weigh around 3K lbs...which has to be factored in.

Wild Horses
01-26-2006, 12:13 PM
Most of the standard axle setups I see are rated between 3,500-5,000 lbs. Many people forget that a trailer that size will weigh around 3K lbs...which has to be factored in.
What about an all aluminum and powder coated metal trailer. What are the benefits either way.
How much less will an aluminum trailer weigh in at.

Havasu Hangin'
01-26-2006, 12:22 PM
What about an all aluminum and powder coated metal trailer. What are the benefits either way.
How much less will an aluminum trailer weigh in at.
The benefits of aluminum are less corrosion and weight savings.
I'm not an expert, but an aluminum trailer will probably knock 1K lbs off (or so). Many guys report triple axle aluminum trailers floating, but I think that depends on the size.
If you are having no issues with a 12K double trailer, it's probably just got the beefy axles- they do make them.
Hell, how about a double axle set of duals?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2595MEAD2005_005_Large_.jpg

Wild Horses
01-26-2006, 01:21 PM
Hell, how about a double axle set of duals?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2595MEAD2005_005_Large_.jpg
I actually like the look of those. :crossx:

Run_em_Hard
01-26-2006, 01:25 PM
Ye Haw :rolleyes:

Wild Horses
01-26-2006, 01:27 PM
Dik :220v: :argue:

Wild Horses
01-26-2006, 01:30 PM
This from a kid that wants to put exhaust pipes up through the bed of his diesel truck. :hammerhea

Flashover
01-26-2006, 01:34 PM
This from a kid that wants to put exhaust pipes up through the bed of his diesel truck. :hammerhea
Hey clint, so does this mean your sellin the 22' ? :crossx: :crossx:

Havasu Hangin'
01-26-2006, 01:34 PM
Hey...it's only money.
Also, I think E-rated tires (with enough load capacity for a 12K dual trailer) will be a little pricey.

Wild Horses
01-26-2006, 01:52 PM
Hey clint, so does this mean your sellin the 22' ? :crossx: :crossx:
I'm just doing some checking first, But it might be possible. :cry:

Flashover
01-26-2006, 01:54 PM
Going to a 33' is quite the step up.. If you are going to sell PM the info... :crossx: Good luck.. :crossx:

Run_em_Hard
01-26-2006, 01:57 PM
:crossx: 7" duals :crossx: but I am not going to, Black soot all over the truck doesn't sound fun. but black soot all over everyone elses does.

Wild Horses
01-26-2006, 01:59 PM
Going to a 33' is quite the step up.. If you are going to sell PM the info... :crossx: Good luck.. :crossx:
Will do. First chance will have to go to my son, I don't know why I don't even like him.

Flashover
01-26-2006, 02:01 PM
Right on.. :crossx: And I would go with triples in that size and weight as well.. :crossx: Later..

Run_em_Hard
01-26-2006, 02:24 PM
Will do. First chance will have to go to my son, I don't know why I don't even like him.
You should be a real nice dad and give it to him... :)

djunkie
01-26-2006, 02:29 PM
Triples all the way. Tows better and looks better :D
I love mine and i'll never buy another new 2 axle boat trailer again. :rollside: :rollside:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1768labor_day_2002_099-med.jpg

WILDERTHANU
01-26-2006, 02:30 PM
Appropriate???
http://myspace-004.vo.llnwd.net/00417/40/04/417504004_l.jpg

Froggystyle
01-26-2006, 03:56 PM
Appropriate???
Yeah... that looks like it would need the extra two axles...

phebus
01-26-2006, 04:24 PM
Appropriate???
If that's appropriate, I need a tandem axle wheelbarrow. :rollside:

25Elmn8r
01-26-2006, 04:44 PM
How? The axle will lay on the ground on one side with a standard spring setup, and a torsion axle will articulate all the way to the ground.
Unless you chain it into the up position, there is no moving it with the wheel gone. If you can chain it up, you can do that with a tandem.
Froggy, on a standard spring setup the center wheel will not (or I should say did not) lay on the ground. 2 years ago when I went to pull my boat out of storage the middle tire on one side had picked up a nail and was flat. I was able to run in to Parker to have it fixed without the center tire. The only place I had an issue was going over the speed bump getting out of the park.
Tire wear is a big issue, like others have stated the front and rear tires drag excessively around corners. I wouldn't do a triple unless it was needed for carrying a very heavy boat.
I am wishing my trailer was a dual instead of a trip, It's time for tires :mad:
It does look good though!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2049825daytona3.jpg

HOSS
01-26-2006, 05:00 PM
Tripples scrub the front tires in extremely few miles and they are really hard to turn tightly.
I'd go with double.
Of course, if you want to look like a baller... the more axles the better. :cool:
And this cat knows balls bro!

Liquid Courage
01-26-2006, 05:04 PM
Done it on three seperate occassions w/three seperate trailers (all torsion style). My Top gun trailer, a Tiger trailer and a Cafe Racer trailer. All on the way back from Havasu. It'll hang low but wont touch and will still let you run 55 or so. Leaf spring style sux! Had them on my last twin axle and almost didn't make it home. Even with chaining the axle up it was still about 4" from the roadway.
Oh, and I'm still on my original tires that came with the trailer after a year and being towed back from Florida and several trips to Havasu. No wear yet. But then again, I think it's worth having to buy a couple of tires quicker than worry about how it tows, flats, etc.

Biglue
01-26-2006, 05:08 PM
I have actually had a boat saleman throw that at me about upgrading to a tripple axle trailer. HMMMMM.

Froggystyle
01-26-2006, 05:12 PM
Well, I stand corrected. Sounds like some are getting them to stay off the ground, but I never have. I have tried too. I tried switching them around so that the center was missing, or the front or rear was missing etc... Nothing I did got them to stay high enough to tow with any confidence. The torsion hung down the worst of the bunch on mine. Additionally, I think it unloaded the other side.
To each their own. There are a lot of hangups with triples that you don't have with doubles. It sounds like people are getting triples to track straighter, but I would wager that isn't with a comparison of the same wheelbase trailer as a tandem or triple, but rather with a shorter double. The increased distance between the axles and your pin will create a straighter pull regardless of axle number.
After this thread I have made my decision on ours... I am going to do doubles with a pair of spares. I would rather spend the money and weight on spare wheels and tires than an extra axle to swing around for image reasons.
Thanks for all of the input folks.

Froggystyle
01-26-2006, 05:15 PM
Froggy, on a standard spring setup the center wheel will not (or I should say did not) lay on the ground.
Mine not only hit the ground, but the other two axles, now unbalanced on those little articulating shackles actually hit the fenders as well.
Extreme has told me flat out that you can't tow with theirs missing any wheel. I asked if they could include some way to strap or bolt a wheel into the up position if shit hit the fan and they had no interest.

blackcloud75
01-26-2006, 05:19 PM
Questions to ask yourself:
How far do I commute while towing?
While storing the boat/trailer , Is it tight space to "pinch" into?
4 tires/wheels vs. 6= $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
If you tow great distances Trips. are the only way!!!!!!!!!
For example I opted w/ triples for resale purposes and to be live DJUNKIE....
It would have been better for me to go doubles because for last year I may have put no more than 100 miles on my trailer. I never have to bring home. Plus my garage is tight to where I use a front hitch on my truck and it looks like a snake when I am putting it away.........My own opinion...
Did I mention Triples look BITCHIN'!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1453schiada.JPG

Froggystyle
01-26-2006, 05:23 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1453schiada.JPG
What a great looking boat man....
Well done..

ChumpChange
01-26-2006, 05:28 PM
Did I mention Triples look BITCHIN'!!!!!!!!!!!
So does the rest or your boat. That's a sweet ride.

25Elmn8r
01-26-2006, 05:41 PM
Mine not only hit the ground, but the other two axles, now unbalanced on those little articulating shackles actually hit the fenders as well.
Extreme has told me flat out that you can't tow with theirs missing any wheel. I asked if they could include some way to strap or bolt a wheel into the up position if shit hit the fan and they had no interest.
I hear ya. I would only do it for short distances myself. I wasn't happy when I did it, but what are you gonna do.
BC75, that's a sweet ride you got!

No Ka Oi
01-26-2006, 06:45 PM
Based on my recent experience, I was able to drive home approximately 5 miles (side streets) when I pinched my front tire on my tripple axel trailer. My trailer is an Extreme and tows (with 27 footer) at approx. 6,500 lbs. While I wouldn't recommend it, I did manage to get home with no further damage to the tire or rim, eventhough I had to dispose of the tire anyway. The tire was flat but did not ride on the rim.

RiverDave
01-26-2006, 06:57 PM
In the immortal words of RiverDave...
Go triples or go home... :D
Triples.. always Triples.. Unless it's so small that you can't fit triples. Then it's tandom.. Never "gasp" single. ;) (Of course I'm joking here, not trying to offend those with single axle trailers)
Incidentally I disagree with Froggy's post earlier. Most slammed torsion trailers (I.E. low profile pkg extreme trailers) I "believe" you can in fact take a wheel off, and the torsion will not articulate to the ground. Of course it would be beneficial to rachet strap it up as high as you can get it, but in a pinch I "believe" that you could just pull a wheel and run it as is to get you into a town somewhere..
As well, With triples and a standard leaf spring setup, I don't believe that it would be anymore bothersome to jackup / tieup / ratchet strap up an axle then it would be on a tandom trailer.
With regards to moving them around by hand, they are next to impossible, and as well in tight turning situations they made alot of racket.. On the bright side of that though, any moron should be able to back one down a ramp becuase they tend to forceably want to take a straight line.
RD

Mandelon
01-26-2006, 08:47 PM
Triples...and......duallies
:crossx:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/24March_17_2004_053-med.jpg

Sotally Tober
01-26-2006, 09:06 PM
I like triples for the brakes. I'm pulling 12,000 lbs and 20,000 overall in a 1ton dually. In an emergency I want to stop. I had them put disc brakes on every axle. I could not imagine trying to stop with just 2 axles with brakes. I do pull the miles every year. I also put a compression brake on the diesel. It all helps.
I also went with 2 spares. It is 2200 miles round trip to Powell for me twice a year. I do not want any problems.

Froggystyle
01-26-2006, 09:14 PM
To each their own. This is why it has been difficult for me to decide what to have as OEM on our ride.
I have never seen torsion bars not scrape, but then I always run small rims and tires on mine. I bet they would clear with a larger tire/rim combination.
The discussion continues.

Patyacht
01-26-2006, 10:39 PM
Sure would like to see Extreme get off the dime and start making aluminum I beam trailers. My aluminum powder coated trailer (tandom, torsion, discs and oil bath hubs) for 28' only weighs 900 lbs. Never has floated, tires show like new and I trailer 1000's of miles a year.

ChumpChange
01-27-2006, 08:24 AM
And this trailer is only for a 24' boat.
Triples...and......duallies
:crossx:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/24March_17_2004_053-med.jpg

Wild Horses
01-27-2006, 08:48 AM
And this trailer is only for a 24' boat.
33' baja Outlaw.

ChumpChange
01-27-2006, 08:59 AM
33' baja Outlaw.
I was talking about the picture posted with the triples with dualies. A cat of some sort so I through out a 24' which would make that trailer pretty much the extreme overkill..

Cole Trickle
01-27-2006, 09:05 AM
To each their own. This is why it has been difficult for me to decide what to have as OEM on our ride.
I have never seen torsion bars not scrape, but then I always run small rims and tires on mine. I bet they would clear with a larger tire/rim combination.
The discussion continues.
I would go with a hook and ladder set-up!!!
That would be an industry first and with a uber hot bikini model driving the ladder you would get alot of positive attention :crossx: (Of course she might get a little wet launching the boat;))

Wild Horses
01-27-2006, 09:54 AM
I was talking about the picture posted with the triples with dualies. A cat of some sort so I through out a 24' which would make that trailer pretty much the extreme overkill..
Gotcha, I can't see Pic's at work.