PDA

View Full Version : Glad they let the public know about this CHANNEL SIT IN

Kilrtoy
01-08-2007, 01:49 PM
Boaters discuss channel politics
BY MICHAEL HAYS
Sunday, January 7, 2007 7:12 PM MST
Members of the boating community exercised their First Amendment rights on Sunday afternoon and staged a "boat-in" in the Bridgewater Channel.
About 30 residents huddled together on the western side of the waterway and spoke about boaters' rights and the year ahead for City Council.
Jim and Carol Richardson of Lake Havasu City sat on their "Channel Bum" city bench, named after their boat and dedicated to the Parks Department.
"We want to save the channel," Jim said.
This past summer, local officials passed several new laws dealing with the channel. Among them was a broad "behavior ordinance" banning public intoxication, violent behavior, abusive or offensive language and indecent exposure from public places, including the channel. Most of these restrictions exist elsewhere in city and state statute.
Several Sunday participants thought Lake Havasu City Police should have just enforced the rules already on the books, instead of convincing council to pass new ones.
Robert Watson thought the mooring ordinance was the worst water-related rule passed in 2006. It prohibits mooring, idling or standing within 25 feet of the eastern channel "sea board." On the east side, mooring tie downs are spaced every 15 feet.
"To us, it's a ridiculous law," Watson said. "You want to be with your friends, and you can't stay in groups with the spacing."
Watson took issue with religious leaders creating a stir about the behavior of visitors during busy holiday weekends.
"They say they want their channel back. The threats are mostly from rightwing, religious conservatives," he said. Watson feels many of the people making such a fuss about drinking and indecent exposure in the area do not visit the area often enough and don't know what they are talking about.
Gregg and Tiana Staples attended the boat-in. She came up with the idea last year after former Mayor Harvey Jackson brought up the possibility of shutting down traffic to the channel on busy weekends.
"She said, 'We should have some kind of demonstration,'" Gregg said. "The climate was a little more politically charged then."
Staples, along with several others at the event, said they agree some visitors display poor behavior. But all residents shouldn't suffer the consequences, Dave Schab said.
He feels under-age drinking is the major problem on summer weekends.
"I think they should just leave it alone. Go after the people causing the problems," he said.
Ron Moyes of Magic Power Boats pointed out the boating industry's positive impact on the economy.
"It brings in some of the highest wages in town," Moyes said. He feels the city needs to embrace its culture, instead of running from it.
"We are what we are ... boating," Moyes added.
Last year marked the first boater demonstration, one that about 100 residents attended, said Staples.
Since the summer, Lake Havasu City elected a new mayor (Mark Nexsen) and two new council members (Brian Wedemeyer and David McAtlin). Among all seven members, only one (Wedemeyer) said he or she would like to repeal the behavior ordinance in response to a questionnaire. At the time, Nexsen said council might revisit it.
Carl Flusche hopes for smoother sailing with the reshaped local government.
"Hopefully, the controversy is over with ... just wait and see what City Council is going to do."
You may reach the reporter at hays@havasunews.com

Trailer Park Casanova
01-08-2007, 02:30 PM
Yeah,, WTF???

shueman
01-08-2007, 02:48 PM
Guess they don't visit ***boat.Com.....:)
http://www.havasunews.com/content/articles/2007/01/08/news/news01.jpg

No Name
01-08-2007, 02:50 PM
Fock the city council, fock the channel, and most of all……..Fock Havasu.:D

phebus
01-08-2007, 02:57 PM
Fock the city council, fock the channel, and most of all……..Fock Havasu.:D
Amen :D

No Name
01-08-2007, 03:07 PM
Amen :D
The place really sucks azz!
See you the first week of March……..:D :D

Racey
01-08-2007, 03:14 PM
No more intoxication or indecent exposure in the channel?!?!? Might as well fill it in with dirt then!!! hahahahah

bignet
01-08-2007, 10:38 PM
Anyone know the arrest stats from last season?? Was there a significant decline or even a staggering number of arrests to support the city's claims?? :confused: I say leave the frickin Channel alone! I went to every big weekend, and other than the traffic in the Channel, I didn't see any outrageous behavior, or nakedness! I wish I did, cuz man was I lookin! :jawdrop: :D
:devil:
bignet

Kilrtoy
01-08-2007, 11:27 PM
help a playa out here :idea: :jawdrop: . "what's a boat you'all" :confused: :jawdrop: ;) keyes
MAGICMOUNTAINDAN
is that you