PDA

View Full Version : Snow chains...where can I get a quick set for 35's?

DILLIGAF
01-12-2007, 02:11 PM
Need to get them today. If someone nearby has a pair I can borrow that would be great. I am heading to Big Bear tomorrow and want to have them just in case.
Thanks

DILLIGAF
01-12-2007, 02:26 PM
Help!
:)

BIGJOEDUCKSLAYER
01-12-2007, 02:33 PM
D truck stops have them, good luck. I am in norcal or I would let you borrow mine.
BIG JOE SSMF:D

DILLIGAF
01-12-2007, 02:36 PM
D truck stops have them, good luck. I am in norcal or I would let you borrow mine.
BIG JOE SSMF:D
Thanks...not a lot of truck stops around here though.
Doesn't Walmart carry them?

ChumpChange
01-12-2007, 02:38 PM
Doesn't Walmart carry them?
Let us know when you find out. :D

wright27
01-12-2007, 02:45 PM
When I go to Big Bear I just put it in 4 wheel drive, never needed chains.
With 35's I am assuming you have a 4x4.:D

AvengerBabe
01-12-2007, 02:46 PM
I got mine at Sports Chalet... they were cheap and they work great. Got the cables...

djunkie
01-12-2007, 02:47 PM
Whether you have 4 wheel drive or not you still have to carry chains. And yes they do check. Not always but they do.
Hey Tom, 4 Wheel Parts Wholesalers may have them.

BajaMike
01-12-2007, 02:48 PM
With mud & snow tires you usually don't need them, although sometimes they want you to show you have them.
Even without 4WD, you probably have a "limited slip" rear end, and you really shouldn't need chains. I was at Tahoe last year in a pretty good snow storm, and was going through 6 to 8 inches of snow without a problem....never slipped at all.
At this late date, I would check with the local big tire and 4X4 stores in Corona/Riverside. Most of them should have them. I make sure the put them on at the shop just to make sure they fit.
:idea:

BajaMike
01-12-2007, 02:49 PM
I don't think Tom has 4WD......
:idea:

wright27
01-12-2007, 02:49 PM
Whether you have 4 wheel drive or not you still have to carry chains. And yes they do check. Not always but they do.
That is good to know. I have been stopped and checked for chains or 4x4, but never have been told I need chains and 4x4.
I guess I need to get a set also.

jbtrailerjim
01-12-2007, 03:00 PM
What he said, Tom. I would think they carry them. They have a location not too far from you.
3382 Tyler St.
Riverside, CA 92503
Phone:951-359-0111

djunkie
01-12-2007, 03:00 PM
That is good to know. I have been stopped and checked for chains or 4x4, but never have been told I need chains and 4x4.
I guess I need to get a set also.
Its the law. Granted I have been let through with my 4x4 but they can ticket you for not carrying them.

tcook33
01-12-2007, 03:01 PM
If you need chains with a 4wd, you shouldn't be driving in the snow.

djunkie
01-12-2007, 03:01 PM
I have BF Goodrich AT tires, got me through snow up to my hubs no problem.
I was warned by a local in Colorado to SLOW DOWN YOU F"KIN IDIOT a few times. I was going up and down some switchbacks that are 15 miles an hour zones. He pointed out carefully that that was the speed limit without the ice on the road and the blinding snow.
If you're 2wd then you'd want the chains. Pep boys, REI, Sport Chalet, maybe Big 5...
I doubt those places sell them for 35" tires. The only place that had them when I was looking was 4 Wheels Parts.

wright27
01-12-2007, 03:02 PM
Its the law. Granted I have been let through with my 4x4 but they can ticket you for not carrying them.
Good to know , Thanks

DILLIGAF
01-12-2007, 03:02 PM
Ya, I am one of those dumb asses with 35's on a lifted 2WD :)
My other truck had 4WD and that is what I used up in Tahoe. I just want to have thme just in case they tell me they have to go on. I don't think they will have that size on the side of the road from the monkeys.

dumbandyoung
01-12-2007, 03:03 PM
Tom walmart doesnt have them. i tried that before. call outlaw offroad. thats near you!

djunkie
01-12-2007, 03:04 PM
If you need chains with a 4wd, you shouldn't be driving in the snow.
Buying the chains might be cheaper than the price of the ticket for not carrying them.

DILLIGAF
What he said, Tom. I would think they carry them. They have a location not too far from you.
3382 Tyler St.
Riverside, CA 92503
next call after this Walmart guy comes back and tells me they don't have the size I need.
thanks

YeLLowBoaT
Don't forget to stop by some where and pick of 3- 4 bags of sand... and put them right over your axle...

yopengo
01-12-2007, 03:05 PM
I have 35 BFG's and got them at 4 Wheel Parts Wholesalers. (chains)

DILLIGAF
01-12-2007, 03:08 PM
3382 Tyler St.
Riverside, CA 92503
They got em and I am on my way to pick a pair up. $79....
Thanks

laurieh
01-12-2007, 03:22 PM
Dude Hope You Don't Have A Hummer Because I Could't Get Chains For Mine When I Went To Oregon. All The Tire Shops Laughed At Me And Said Your S.o.l!!!!!!!!!!! We Don't Carry Chains That Big!!!!!!! Good Luck Getting Home.

BajaMike
01-12-2007, 03:23 PM
Have fun Tom.....take some pics for us!:idea:
:)

Riomouse911
01-12-2007, 03:25 PM
I've been turned around for not having chains over Conway Summit (395 near Mono Lake) even with snow tires and 4x4. I can say this from years of motoring around the Sierras and lower Cascades, 4x4 isn't the panacea for driving in snow/ice, but it helps. I always had 2 sets of rims for my old Toyota and Suburban, one with my regular tires and one with studded snow tires for wintertime driving. With cables/studs/chains, you can actually get some purchase on ice, with snow/mud tires even in 4WD it's damn easy to end up needing to get pulled out of a ditch because you skated off the road...

ParkerRat
01-12-2007, 04:29 PM
I am pretty sure I have a pair sittin in my garage that have never been used. i bought them after being turned around at the top of the mountain going to Big Bear. I had 35 BFG Mudders on a Full size Dodge 4x4 and they sent me all the way back down the mountain. My last two trucks have 37" tires on them so if anyone needs them I'll give em a smokin deal. I'm in Oceanside though. good luck

lalhc
01-12-2007, 04:32 PM
Later tonight CalTrans may make EVERY car including 4x's put on chains. The conditions are supposed to get windy up here in the mountains tonight that will freeze over the roads. The high in Arrowhead today was 25 degrees.

riverbound
01-12-2007, 04:37 PM
I have always carried chains in my 4x4 vehicles to avoid the ticket (they werent the right size for the vehicle though).
Tom, as has been said a couple times, the only place you will find them is off road shops, and get ready to pay. :(

77charger
01-12-2007, 04:56 PM
I bought a pair a few years ago for my truck that had 33s at walmart for like 60 bucks.never used them either but didnt want to get turned around goint to the mtns either(Seems like in so cal when they get a drop of snow you have to carry chains or put them on even if 4x4) That morn drivng up they were required on all vehichles no matter what 5 minutes before i got there no longer needed for 4x4 but still had to show chians and i have been checked evrytime i have gone usually after a snowstorm.
which reminds me i have to get them back form my cousin i loaned them too :mad: that was 3 years ago too
oh yea i thouhgt it was cheaper to buy chains before trip vs geeting turned around for no chains going and trying to find some locally(which are probably way overpriced)and time wasted or wasted gas just to come back home so 60 bucks you decide(well maybe more in your case)But ask for the senior discount tom.LOL

SJP
01-12-2007, 05:03 PM
Buying the chains might be cheaper than the price of the ticket for not carrying them.
Its not the price of the ticket - its the brain damage (after being turned around at the checkpoint in a 4wd with 35's) of driving down the mountain to walmart to pick up a set of chains to show at the checkpiont for round 2 while ruining your early start / hitting traffic.:mad:
So I have heard:D

DILLIGAF
01-12-2007, 07:45 PM
I bought a pair a few years ago for my truck that had 33s at walmart for like 60 bucks.never used them either but didnt want to get turned around goint to the mtns either(Seems like in so cal when they get a drop of snow you have to carry chains or put them on even if 4x4) That morn drivng up they were required on all vehichles no matter what 5 minutes before i got there no longer needed for 4x4 but still had to show chians and i have been checked evrytime i have gone usually after a snowstorm.
which reminds me i have to get them back form my cousin i loaned them too :mad: that was 3 years ago too
oh yea i thouhgt it was cheaper to buy chains before trip vs geeting turned around for no chains going and trying to find some locally(which are probably way overpriced)and time wasted or wasted gas just to come back home so 60 bucks you decide(well maybe more in your case)But ask for the senior discount tom.LOL
I guess they did give me the senior discount. Only paid $79. for them and they are chains. Leaving early in the AM and hope not to use them but of course you should carry them.
Thanks everybody.............

whiteworks
01-12-2007, 09:32 PM
Heres a little trick I learned in my travels, take a block of wood with you
4"x6"x8" lay out the chain on the ground and place the block of wood in the middle of the chain grid, pull the vehicle forward and up on the block of wood. this makes it really easy to get your chains adjusted tight and fast. should take no longer than five minutes.

BOBALOO
01-12-2007, 10:26 PM
Good thing you picked up the chainsTom. I have been working in Big bear on and off the last few weeks and got turned around at Snow Valley by the CHP. Luckily the tires on my work truck are common and the hardware store had them for only 107$:mad:
2 days later It had snowed overnight and I saw a car spin out in front of me, luckily he went towards the hill and not the CLIFF:eek:
Watch out for ice, and bring patience for the traffic and restaurants up there, they are busy as hell and Slooooooooow as molasses in the service dept.
Have fun. The lake has lots of ice so unless you have a bardge with an ice breaker you wont be able to post any of those " see what you losers that are stuck working during the week " pictures:D

4DAY4PLAY
01-12-2007, 10:43 PM
I guess they did give me the senior discount. Only paid $79. for them and they are chains. Leaving early in the AM and hope not to use them but of course you should carry them.
Thanks everybody.............
The trick is if you dont use them....take em back!!!! Have fun in da snow!

DILLIGAF
01-12-2007, 10:46 PM
Good thing you picked up the chainsTom. I have been working in Big bear on and off the last few weeks and got turned around at Snow Valley by the CHP. Luckily the tires on my work truck are common and the hardware store had them for only 107$:mad:
2 days later It had snowed overnight and I saw a car spin out in front of me, luckily he went towards the hill and not the CLIFF:eek:
Watch out for ice, and bring patience for the traffic and restaurants up there, they are busy as hell and Slooooooooow as molasses in the service dept.
Have fun. The lake has lots of ice so unless you have a bardge with an ice breaker you wont be able to post any of those " see what you losers that are stuck working during the week " pictures:D
Thanks for the advice.
Laughing at the last part...I am taking the camera :)

New Login
01-12-2007, 11:43 PM
I would test fit those things, it is a bitch out on the road.

River918
01-13-2007, 03:34 PM
I didn't know they came in different speeds ("Quick set")...How fast are the ones you got?......:D

lawbreaker2
01-13-2007, 05:11 PM
Chains??? I don't even know how to put a set on.:eek: I don't think they even sell something like that over here.:confused:

John.
01-13-2007, 05:38 PM
well, you already found them so I'm late in telling you this. but, I picked up chains for 37" tires at Les Schwabb. and they are real chains. not the pu$$y chains that you get at Walmart.