PDA

View Full Version : 2500 HD transfer case problem!

AZJD
01-14-2007, 04:06 PM
I recently had a leak from the transfer case of my 2002 2500HD. I took it to a friend who owns a Cottman Transmission for the hook up on price.
The original diagnosis was gasket leaking! After dropping transfer case things got a little more costly! The ATF pump inside the transfer case rides un a machined slot which also has a clip (for lack of part name) kinda like a u shaped spacer or washer! This piece failed and allowed the pump over time to wear a hole in my transfer case, resulting in a leak!
Has anyone else had this problem, or does anyone know if this is something I might be able to get parts cost back out of the dealer? I have had the truck since new in 02' and do not have the extended warranty!
This is pretty cool! Now I dont have to ask Jeeves, I can ask Jay!

PHOTOGLOU
01-14-2007, 05:32 PM
I recently had a leak from the transfer case of my 2002 2500HD. I took it to a friend who owns a Cottman Transmission for the hook up on price.
The original diagnosis was gasket leaking! After dropping transfer case things got a little more costly! The ATF pump inside the transfer case rides un a machined slot which also has a clip (for lack of part name) kinda like a u shaped spacer or washer! This piece failed and allowed the pump over time to wear a hole in my transfer case, resulting in a leak!
Has anyone else had this problem, or does anyone know if this is something I might be able to get parts cost back out of the dealer? I have had the truck since new in 02' and do not have the extended warranty!
Vin # please and miles and then I can look into it without a problem..... Jay 714 552 0300

AZJD
01-14-2007, 06:09 PM
Thanks Jay, I will give ya a shout tommorow!
Justin

PHOTOGLOU
01-15-2007, 05:31 PM
Did Miguel get in touch with you today???? The vin# I got wasn't coming up....

Jordy
01-15-2007, 05:37 PM
Did Miguel get in touch with you today???? The vin# I got wasn't coming up....
Justin isn't very good with numbers, especially when you throw a few letters in with it!!! :D :D :D

Trailer Park Casanova
01-16-2007, 05:42 PM
Outta curosity, what does a re-built transfer case cost?
Just the unit, no labor.

shadow
01-16-2007, 06:02 PM
Out of curiosity since when did Transfercases have ATF pumps?
Maybe i'm out of touch with the newer GM stuff?:confused:

AZJD
01-17-2007, 12:52 PM
Out of curiosity since when did Transfercases have ATF pumps?
Maybe i'm out of touch with the newer GM stuff?:confused:
Jay, no body got in touch with me I will get that # for you!
ATF pump might not have been the right part name, however there is a pump inside the transfer case to circulate ATF. That is what caused the hole in the case!
One half of the transfer case was 600.00 and some change!

LHC30Victory
01-17-2007, 01:53 PM
The pump retaining clip is a WELL KNOWN PROBLEM with these transfer cases. Just go to Dieselplace.com and search...you will find way too many issues. There is a guy there that has a fix but it's expensive. IMHO GM should step up and fix it w/o charge....I am just waiting for mine to go out - then the fireworks begin at the local dealer :eek:

PHOTOGLOU
01-17-2007, 02:06 PM
Jay, no body got in touch with me I will get that # for you!
ATF pump might not have been the right part name, however there is a pump inside the transfer case to circulate ATF. That is what caused the hole in the case!
One half of the transfer case was 600.00 and some change!
Miguel just stopped by and said he talked to you... Is that correct?

AZJD
01-17-2007, 05:01 PM
Miguel just stopped by and said he talked to you... Is that correct?
Ya he called! He gave me some info on how to go about it. I appreciate all the help Jay!
Just so everyone knows if you feel a gringing under heavy braking have the transfer case checked!

JakeC.
01-17-2007, 06:52 PM
this is a known problem with the transfer cases. I have done a few hand full of the cases for this problem. it is a little tiny clip that brakes off on one end and just starts to bang around in that one little spot and eventualy cracks or wears a whole in the case. there is no real way of preventing it. it just happens or it doesnt. it is just the weaker of the parts in the case and the weakest link usually goes. just the same for any other part of any machanical divice.

AZJD
01-18-2007, 02:11 PM
this is a known problem with the transfer cases. I have done a few hand full of the cases for this problem. it is a little tiny clip that brakes off on one end and just starts to bang around in that one little spot and eventualy cracks or wears a whole in the case. there is no real way of preventing it. it just happens or it doesnt. it is just the weaker of the parts in the case and the weakest link usually goes. just the same for any other part of any machanical divice.
I have been reading up on this problem and just hope it doesnt happen again. I got lucky and have a friend that hooked me up on the repair....I have heard repair costs as high as $2300...ouch! I got away for $1500 with an oil change!

JakeC.
01-18-2007, 09:21 PM
I have been reading up on this problem and just hope it doesnt happen again. I got lucky and have a friend that hooked me up on the repair....I have heard repair costs as high as $2300...ouch! I got away for $1500 with an oil change!
I dont actually know how mutch it costs, I am just the guy who fixes them for a living. I have heard that they are expensive but i do not know. If it makes you feel any better, I have never done it twice on the same truck.

rdcjuanb
01-19-2007, 10:58 AM
Wouldnt an 02 still be covered by the manufacturer? I was under the impression my truck(drivetrain Duramax/Allison) is covered for 100k miles with a $100 deductible. I did not purchase anything after the original 36k was up.

PHOTOGLOU
01-20-2007, 10:09 AM
Wouldnt an 02 still be covered by the manufacturer? I was under the impression my truck(drivetrain Duramax/Allison) is covered for 100k miles with a $100 deductible. I did not purchase anything after the original 36k was up.
My understanding is the transfer case is not part of the Allison Trans and that the factory 100k warranty on a 02 is just the motor.....

IMPATIENT 1
01-20-2007, 10:30 AM
i replace cases all the time for this reason. after alum shaving bury into the gears and clutches in the tcase, its cheaper in the long run to install a reman transfer case with a 3yr/50k warranty.
i've also had alot of adapters on the back of the allison crack and leak badly due to excessive slack in u-joints. the slack will pop the trans hard and snap the rear adapter into pieces.check the u-joints alot or have your maintance place check them at every service interval.

IMPATIENT 1
01-20-2007, 10:33 AM
as far as warranty, the transfer case falls under the bumper to bumper warranty that ends at 36k/3yr., the allison has a seperate special policy that covers it for additional mileage, not the t-case. only way to get a longer warranty is to buy a additional aftermarket warranty like gmpp or something like it.(i'm a gm mastertech/shop foreman/asst. service mgr.)

rdcjuanb
01-20-2007, 01:02 PM
Thank you very much for your answers on the warranty stuff. Looks like I need to get a newer duramax with everything under warranty, perhaps a dually.

AZJD
01-20-2007, 08:45 PM
Unfortunately Allison did not make the transfer case!

IMPATIENT 1
01-21-2007, 01:07 PM
Unfortunately Allison did not make the transfer case!
ah, but if they did:devil: we'll start seeing more allison built parts making to the hd trucks in the future from what i hear at the gm training center.