PDA

View Full Version : question

dumbandyoung
01-14-2007, 10:40 PM
my friend wants to grab a 19 bahner project boat off this guy who owns a salon. the boat has been there ever since the guy bought the property(10+ years). but he doenst own the boat. the guy said he'd give it to him for free. problem is.. how would he register it if the boat once belonged to someone else? could he even put a new serial # on it and say it was home built?

BadKachina
01-14-2007, 10:42 PM
my friend wants to grab a 19 bahner project boat off this guy who owns a salon. the boat has been there ever since the guy bought the property(10+ years). but he doenst own the boat. the guy said he'd give it to him for free. problem is.. how would he register it if the boat once belonged to someone else? could he even put a new serial # on it and say it was home built?
He would prbably have to put up a bond and file for an abandoned title.

QuickJet
01-14-2007, 11:01 PM
The owner of the Salon could probably put a 30 day lean on the boat using storage fees as the reason.

dumbandyoung
01-14-2007, 11:22 PM
not a bad idea

Cas
01-14-2007, 11:57 PM
the boat probably isn't even in the system any longer and the trailer is questionable. 10 years is a long time for a boat, especially a Bahner, to be sitting outside. Has the deck sunk down?

wright27
01-15-2007, 07:26 AM
Years back my dad and I bought a 68 Camaro off of some guys lot that he owned and restored. Problem was the guy sold about 10 cars closed up shop and split turning in no release of liability and no pinkslips were ever sent to the new owners of the cars. Went to the DMV and they told us we had to wait for 7 years for the car to drop out of the system, and then come in with the VIN. My father passed away about 8 years after that and his girlfriend went into the DMV with nothing more than the VIN , and they registered the car in her name and sent her the pinkslip.
The boat should be out of the system. Take in the HID number and see what the DMV says.

dumbandyoung
01-15-2007, 12:06 PM
the boat probably isn't even in the system any longer and the trailer is questionable. 10 years is a long time for a boat, especially a Bahner, to be sitting outside. Has the deck sunk down?
he said its in great shape. theres an old carport out back of this huge lot. its underneath.

dumbandyoung
01-15-2007, 12:07 PM
Years back my dad and I bought a 68 Camaro off of some guys lot that he owned and restored. Problem was the guy sold about 10 cars closed up shop and split turning in no release of liability and no pinkslips were ever sent to the new owners of the cars. Went to the DMV and they told us we had to wait for 7 years for the car to drop out of the system, and then come in with the VIN. My father passed away about 8 years after that and his girlfriend went into the DMV with nothing more than the VIN , and they registered the car in her name and sent her the pinkslip.
The boat should be out of the system. Take in the HID number and see what the DMV says.
i will tell him to try that out. thanks. sorry to hear about your ad