PDA

View Full Version : Fords.....Boss is Back?

cc322
01-16-2007, 07:01 PM
Ford Boss engine
Ford Boss V8
Also called: Ford Hurricane V8
Manufacturer: Ford Motor Company
Production: 2008–
Predecessor: 385 V8
Triton V8
Class: V8
Engine: 6.2 L - 7.0 L
Similar: Chrysler Hemi
GM Vortec
The Boss is a forthcoming large-displacement V8 engine project at Ford Motor Company. The engine project was reportedly cancelled in 2005 as the company focused on its existing Triton V8 and V10, but was reportedly[1] revived in early 2006 by Mark Fields. The large engine will compete with DaimlerChrysler's new Hemi and General Motors' large Vortec engines. Ford is currently unable to compete with these large V8 engines in the pickup truck, SUV, and luxury car markets with its 5.4 L Modular V8.
The Boss engine will reportedly displace 6.2 L, with the ability to exceed 7.0 L in future applications, and produce more than 425 hp (317 kW) and 425 ft·lbf (576 N·m). It will be built at Cleveland Engine in Cleveland, Ohio. The first application will be Ford's F-Series pickup trucks produced at Dearborn Truck. It has been rumored that the Hurricane will retain many of the Modular V8 design cues such as a deep skirt block with cross bolted main caps, oiling system design, and multivalve overhead camshaft valve train arrangement but it will have much wider bore spacing and bearing surfaces.
The engine was initially called the "Hurricane", but this was changed in mid 2006 to the storied Boss name[2] in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

angry dad
01-16-2007, 07:06 PM
Sweet!!! Go Ford!!!

SB
01-16-2007, 10:28 PM
Odd. Cheby canceled the 454 and went to 496 cuz Ford and Chrysler had
V-10s

EAZYKILLER2006
01-16-2007, 10:31 PM
Ford Boss engine
Ford Boss V8
Also called: Ford Hurricane V8
Manufacturer: Ford Motor Company
Production: 2008–
Predecessor: 385 V8
Triton V8
Class: V8
Engine: 6.2 L - 7.0 L
Similar: Chrysler Hemi
GM Vortec
The Boss is a forthcoming large-displacement V8 engine project at Ford Motor Company. The engine project was reportedly cancelled in 2005 as the company focused on its existing Triton V8 and V10, but was reportedly[1] revived in early 2006 by Mark Fields. The large engine will compete with DaimlerChrysler's new Hemi and General Motors' large Vortec engines. Ford is currently unable to compete with these large V8 engines in the pickup truck, SUV, and luxury car markets with its 5.4 L Modular V8.
The Boss engine will reportedly displace 6.2 L, with the ability to exceed 7.0 L in future applications, and produce more than 425 hp (317 kW) and 425 ft·lbf (576 N·m). It will be built at Cleveland Engine in Cleveland, Ohio. The first application will be Ford's F-Series pickup trucks produced at Dearborn Truck. It has been rumored that the Hurricane will retain many of the Modular V8 design cues such as a deep skirt block with cross bolted main caps, oiling system design, and multivalve overhead camshaft valve train arrangement but it will have much wider bore spacing and bearing surfaces.
The engine was initially called the "Hurricane", but this was changed in mid 2006 to the storied Boss name[2] in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.
THANKS FOR THE INFO..YEA!!!

axkiker
01-17-2007, 05:28 AM
I like the idea cause I love big CI engines, but dont see it going over very well with the crazy oil prices. I thinks most who want that much power in a truck are prolly going to go diesel. It would make a good engine for the lighting if they still made that truck.

Wet Dream
01-17-2007, 06:48 AM
I like the idea cause I love big CI engines, but dont see it going over very well with the crazy oil prices. I thinks most who want that much power in a truck are prolly going to go diesel. It would make a good engine for the lighting if they still made that truck.
In case you haven't noticed, diesel is higher than gas, has been for many years, and will continue to be that way most likely for life.

axkiker
01-17-2007, 07:20 AM
In case you haven't noticed, diesel is higher than gas, has been for many years, and will continue to be that way most likely for life.
Yeah but here its only around 25 or so cents higher than reg unleded. So yeah you pay a little more but a diesel has such a better tq curve for pulling and a lifespan that generally cant be touched by a gas engine. Plus they get roughly 30% better fuel ecconomy. So in the end you see better towing capabilities, longer lifespan and a lower fuel bill.
Now if its a hotrod like the lightning etc the gas engine will be the way to go. Cant beat the sound of a big V8 and higher rpms. Plus a higher tq curve for top end speed etc.

Big Kahunaa
01-17-2007, 08:48 AM
Yeah but here its only around 25 or so cents higher than reg unleded. So yeah you pay a little more but a diesel has such a better tq curve for pulling and a lifespan that generally cant be touched by a gas engine. Plus they get roughly 30% better fuel ecconomy. So in the end you see better towing capabilities, longer lifespan and a lower fuel bill.
Now if its a hotrod like the lightning etc the gas engine will be the way to go. Cant beat the sound of a big V8 and higher rpms. Plus a higher tq curve for top end speed etc.
better fuel ecconomy yes
more expensive fuel and intal cost to
if i were to buy a new truck i would have to figuer out how long it would take for a diesel to pay off but i think keap my old crew cab that truck fits me well a is a pulling sumbitch

havifun
01-17-2007, 08:10 PM
There's a nice truck!