PDA

View Full Version : 2500HD lifted truck owners!

AZJD
01-17-2007, 04:53 PM
I will be lifting my truck in the next couple of weeks and I am having a hard time deciding between going with a 10" lift and 40's or an 8" lift and 37.5's!
Any input on ride and comfort would be appreciated. I drive quite a bit so I already know I will be dropping $$$$$ on tires, I would just like some input or opinions on the overall satisfaction of comfort!
Thanks

UnionJack
01-17-2007, 04:57 PM
I had the same truck on 40's on 22's and I think you will be happier with 37's on 22's. The 40's are great for show, but 37's will keep the truck more practical, if you can call it that

GETSOME
01-17-2007, 05:04 PM
I will be lifting my truck in the next couple of weeks and I am having a hard time deciding between going with a 10" lift and 40's or an 8" lift and 37.5's!
Any input on ride and comfort would be appreciated. I drive quite a bit so I already know I will be dropping $$$$$ on tires, I would just like some input or opinions on the overall satisfaction of comfort!
Thanks
Whatever you do.. Do not go 10 inch. I have the cognito 7 inch kit with green keys in the front. Making a total for 8-9 inch in front. Running on 37x12.50s. With that said and done being lifted for over a year this way. I am planning on lowering it back down to just plain 7 inch and running a 35x12.50.
Why?
Because the ride sucks. The tires are noisy as all hell. Sucks to park. Can not go into any parking structures. Tires are $$$$$$. lose alot of preformance even with attitude tuner. Hard to wash. Pain to load things.
But the perks.
Looks bitchin. Gets tons of looks! Chicks flock to it. :D
Going to be a hard choice to lower mine down again but then again i can always lift it back up if i get tired of it.

Cole Trickle
01-17-2007, 05:07 PM
Whatever you do.. Do not go 10 inch. I have the cognito 7 inch kit with green keys in the front. Making a total for 8-9 inch in front. Running on 37x12.50s. With that said and done being lifted for over a year this way. I am planning on lowering it back down to just plain 7 inch and running a 35x12.50.
Why?
Because the ride sucks. The tires are noisy as all hell. Sucks to park. Can not go into any parking structures. Tires are $$$$$$. lose alot of preformance even with attitude tuner. Hard to wash. Pain to load things.
But the perks.
Going to be a hard choice to lower mine down again but then again i can always lift it back up if i get tired of it.
Puss....Your not the same person since the knee injury;):D
where is this flock of girls you speak of?:jawdrop: :idea:

GETSOME
01-17-2007, 05:15 PM
Puss....Your not the same person since the knee injury;):D
where is this flock of girls you speak of?:jawdrop: :idea:
I guess i am getting old at 23. 2 knee rebuilds and you would be the same way. I want somthing fast with a roll cage now.
And the girls. Its called dream job and they come running.

AZJD
01-17-2007, 05:20 PM
Why?
But the perks.
Thanks, thats what I need to hear.........:D I am probably going to go with the Fabtech 8" and 37.5x13.50 R22 Toyo muds....but that 10" with 40's looks damn good!

GETSOME
01-17-2007, 05:25 PM
Thanks, thats what I need to hear.........:D I am probably going to go with the Fabtech 8" and 37.5x13.50 R22 Toyo muds....but that 10" with 40's looks damn good!
Take a look at Coginto and CST before you go with fabtech. I have nothing against fabtech just the build strength of the other 2 is insane compared to fabtech. And you can get it powder coated any color you want. I got mine to match the color of my truck that gives it a clean look.:D
And cognito has a nice pitman idle arm set up that is hard to break along with there bitchin tie rods. Ohh and traction bars too.

INSman
01-17-2007, 05:33 PM
I like the 6' CST, RCD and Cognito kits. Anything above that is pretty much a waste in my own opinion. The CG get's too damn high on some of these things and I can't figure out why :confused: :D

ultra27jay
01-17-2007, 05:38 PM
I like the 6' CST, RCD and Cognito kits. Anything above that is pretty much a waste in my own opinion. The CG get's too damn high on some of these things and I can't figure out why :confused: :D
GEE THANKS!!!!! FRIEND........:D

AZJD
01-17-2007, 05:42 PM
I am for sure doing 8" or bigger. I just don't want to have a 6" like everyone else! Fabtech has been reccomended by several different shops I have gone to for that size! The CST 6" - 8" just isn't big enough IMO to stuff 37.5" tires under!

BadKachina
01-17-2007, 05:51 PM
If you like buying 1600.00 dollars worth of tires every year, go with the 40's. I'm tired of it. I should have gone with something that would let me run BFG All-Terrains.........

Enen
01-17-2007, 05:53 PM
I am running a CST 9-11 on my 2500, with the keys set at 11" and 37" tires. I chose BFG's because of their road noise, or lack thereof. I reasearched the design of Contigo, Full Throttle, CST. and Fabtech. I chose CST because of the way their lifts are built. CST lowers the front differential, and places it in a steel cage. This allows the CV joints to maintain the stock angles. All of the geometry in CST's lift is the same as stock. That translates into a great ride ( for a 3/4 ton truck)
I would also reccomend replacing the rear springs. Avoid lifting the rear with blocks, especially if you are towing a boat. Good luck in your search.
Just my .02
Aaron

GETSOME
01-17-2007, 05:58 PM
Cognitos lift:
This lift system is designed like no one else’s. Cognito goes the extra mile to build customers a tubular front crossmember for a custom look. The design also incorporates a new spindle engineered to offer the best of all worlds in strength, flexibility, and ease of installation. On 4 wheel drive models, there is one simple cut to make on the frame to clear the front differential, not necessary on 2 wheel drives, and 4 holes to drill and the rest is a bolt on installation. This 7” system comes standard with our revolutionary Pitman/Idler arm support kit that eliminates the premature wear found in the GM pitman and idler arm design that is present even on stock vehicles.
Flexibility to get an extra 2” out of this system is built in, just add the tubular upper control arm kit and you will be able to run up to a 37” tall tire. On 4 wheel drive models, the front differential is dropped down a full 7 inches to avoid severe CV axle angles. Other companies only drop the front differential about 75% the amount of the lower control arm, introducing poor CV axle angles. These companies manufacture 6” lift kits that claim to run 35”x12.5” tires, but you have to run an 8” wide wheel with 4 5/8” backspacing. 95% of vehicle owners lifting their trucks want to run wider than an 8” wheel, so Cognito Motorsports takes a step outside of the normal to build a lift system one inch taller to clear the wheel and tire combination that the majority of enthusiasts want to run.
Strength:
The Cognito lift system comes standard with compression struts. Cognito also uses sub-frame connectors to connect the front crossmember to the rear crossmember. Many other companies fail to provide some kind of sub-frame connection. This is essential to prevent bending to the factory lower control arm mounts, and they help provide the Cognito system with a rigid sub-frame to position the lower control arms and front differential. With the replacement spindle design, and the upper control arm remaining in the factory location, the control arms are spread further apart by 7 inches. This provides more leverage on the larger wheels thus increasing ball joint life and retaining front-end alignment much better. Lift kits that drop the upper control arm along with everything else are overwhelmed by the added leverage of larger tires, straining upper ball joints and knocking front-end alignments out easily.
With there 7inch kit with green keys i can easily clear 37s with no problem. Even with it fully turned i clear by 3 inchs. Set next to fabtechs lift which my friend has taller by at least 2-3 mirror to mirror

Bense468
01-17-2007, 05:58 PM
Don't go fabtech. Go CST, and you have made up your mind on minimum lift. Don't go 40's. SUCKS after a while. even up in 37.5 is going to get old. go for clean and quality.

INSman
01-17-2007, 06:03 PM
GEE THANKS!!!!! FRIEND........:D
DEFINITELY give Jason a call at Extreme Trucks to give you some pricing on whatever option you choose :D
opinions are like a$$holes, every has one and they all stink ;)

Havasu Hangin'
01-17-2007, 06:04 PM
Chicks flock to it.
I am for sure doing 8" or bigger.
He needs all the help he can get...
...better go 12".
:D

GETSOME
01-17-2007, 06:06 PM
...better go 12".
Have not heard that one before:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

AZJD
01-17-2007, 06:07 PM
...better go 12".
Funny you should mention that Jeff.....the lic. plate will say CMPNS8N:D

AZJD
01-17-2007, 06:08 PM
Thinkin of naming the boat Compensation aswell! :D :D :D

Jordy
01-17-2007, 06:09 PM
...better go 12".
Do they make a 16M5"??? :idea: :D

AZJD
01-17-2007, 06:11 PM
Do they make a 16M5"??? :idea: :D
You know how I know your gay? Your typing skills have decreased while using one hand!:D

Jordy
01-17-2007, 06:12 PM
Your typing skills have decreased while using one hand!:D
Do you know how I know you're gay? You're imagining me typing with one hand. FAG!!! :D :D :D

Jordy
01-17-2007, 06:13 PM
You know how I know your gay?
And I'm sure you meant YOU'RE in this case, Lefty... :idea: :jawdrop:

AZJD
01-17-2007, 06:14 PM
Do you know how I know you're gay? You're imagining me typing with one hand. FAG!!! :D :D :D
Well your truck is lifted so it can't be big enough to use two hands!:eek:

AZJD
01-17-2007, 06:16 PM
And I'm sure you meant YOU'RE in this case, Lefty... :idea: :jawdrop:
Can we go drink now?

dumbandyoung
01-17-2007, 06:16 PM
i have a 2006 ford f250. just bought a pro-comp 6" lift for it.. i need it installed. who can do it. and do it right?...and for a good price. i need it done in 1 day too because i dont have a spare car to drive around.

AZJD
01-17-2007, 06:17 PM
i have a 2006 ford f250. just bought a pro-comp 6" lift for it.. i need it installed. who can do it. and do it right?...and for a good price. i need it done in 1 day too because i dont have a spare car to drive around.
Dammit! Where did this ford post come from?

Jordy
Dammit! Where did this ford post come from?
Tell him to get his own focking thread, this one is about your shortcomings!!! :D :D :D

AZJD
What part of town? My mapquest won't help me with 236 miles from river! :D

AZJD
01-17-2007, 06:18 PM
Tell him to get his own focking thread, this one is about your shortcomings!!! :D :D :D
Ya but look it says "I've seen bigger!"

dumbandyoung
01-17-2007, 06:21 PM
I knew i was gonna piss you Bowtie Lovers off with the ford question... but hey i figured while we are on lifts:D
Azusa CA

AZJD
01-17-2007, 06:23 PM
I knew i was gonna piss you Bowtie Lovers off with the ford question... but hey i figured while we are on lifts:D
Azusa CA
Ya I saw that. I was on your website spending my lift money on new houses! The only person I could reccomend is in Murrieta....kinda far from you!

Havasu Hangin'
01-17-2007, 06:23 PM
Thinkin of naming the boat Compensation aswell! :D :D :D
Better step up to an 18' Bayliner bowrider first...
:eek:

dumbandyoung
01-17-2007, 06:25 PM
yah a little farther than i wanna drive.. pm me his info anyways.. I have a good friend that lives out there. maybe i could do it next time im out there for the day.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
Call John Kirsch....
He's "BlackedoutF250" here on the boards....
He just re-did my suspension in my Excursion.....
See this thread.....
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132676
Great guy and you may save yourself a bit of $$....
www.uniqueperformancewest.com
Later,
CJG

AZJD
Better step up to an 18' Bayliner bowrider first...
:eek:
Then I would have to use supersized lettering and then it looks like I am being obvious!:)

AZJD
01-17-2007, 06:27 PM
yah a little farther than i wanna drive.. pm me his info anyways.. I have a good friend that lives out there. maybe i could do it next time im out there for the day.
Wired for Sound Motorsports! Adam has always done good work and I am sure everyone here will agree! I am tossing around buying a Full Throttle lift and having it shipped to me due to a pretty good hook up I have on them and driving to Cali to have him install it!

SHAKEN Not Stirred
01-17-2007, 06:30 PM
Same thing......
Call John Kirsch....
See this thread.....
Later,
CJG

dumbandyoung
01-17-2007, 06:38 PM
Call John Kirsch....
See this thread.....
Later,
CJG
thanks . I sent a pm to him

rdcjuanb
01-17-2007, 06:44 PM
The CST kit will not widen the front trackwidth like some other kits will.. Call up Extreme and talk to Jay.

Southwest47
01-17-2007, 07:26 PM
I just had my '06 2500HD lifted a few weeks ago at White Motorsports in Murrieta. I am extremely happy with the look and the ride, in fact, it rides better than stock now! What I got:
8" CST lift
dual Fox reservoir up front, single in rear
37" Toyo Mud's
18" Diamo's
Amp steps
Just a few thoughts...I had a tough decision when deciding between the 6" and 8" lift, but everybody's got the 6", so I went with the 8". The 37's are surprisingly quiet. I can hear a faint hum while driving, but with the radio on you can't even hear them. If you have a significant other, get side steps. If you want to pimp it, get the Amp Research power steps. Everybody loves the steps, definitely worth the money (for the wife that is;) ).

plaster dave
01-17-2007, 07:36 PM
I have the CST 11" deul hoop deaver springs and it rides better than stock. I am on 38" tires and love it.

BajaMike
01-17-2007, 08:43 PM
Thanks
Don't lift it.....it just F-s up a nice truck......:idea:
:) :D :) :D :eek:

SoCalHD
01-17-2007, 09:20 PM
The CST 6" - 8" just isn't big enough IMO to stuff 37.5" tires under!
I ran37x12.50 PJ's on my 2500HD with the CST 6-8 for a year until putting 35's on the truck for better towing. The 37's fit fine, even on my 10" wide rims....didn't even rub when 4byin

selfmade
01-17-2007, 11:26 PM
I have a cst lift 14 inches total with spindles on 40in toyo mt's and 22in wheels. I drive it everyday and it is not bad at all. The tires are quiet i can't hear them at all over the stereo and the ride is smooth. The only thing about my truck is the rear end is stiff because of the deaver leafs, but i only feel it on rough roads. IMO i would go with the 9-11 CST adjustable because it seems you always want more and this gives you some room to play with. And by the way call Jason at extreme trucks he is a cool dude

DMOORE
01-18-2007, 08:44 AM
10" lift and 40" tires says REDNECK. Don't over do it. At a certain point it just looks stupid. 37's are huge tires and will not give it that cartoon look.
Darrell.

AZJD
01-18-2007, 09:17 AM
Thanks everyone for your input. I have researched and called a bunch of places and I think I will be throwing the CST9-11" on with dual fox resevoirs and 37.5's on 22's. CST sold me with the spring packs for the rear. Not to mention I got a good price from....WIRED FOR SOUND MOTORSPORTS! Enough to burn a few tanks of fuel to drive out and get it done! Thanks ADAM!

Jordy
01-18-2007, 09:24 AM
Enough to burn a few tanks of fuel to drive out and get it done! Thanks ADAM!
Get enough fuel together and take me to lunch focker!!! I'm hungry. :D

Cole Trickle
01-18-2007, 09:35 AM
I have some nice 20" wheels and 37" Nitto Tera Grapplers for sale that will fit a 8 lug GM HD.:D:)
They need to leave and $1500.00 is the new magic number!!!!(5wheels/tires)
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127204&highlight=Helo
<---- Feels like Crazy Gideon:D :devil: :eek:

riverbound
01-18-2007, 09:38 AM
I have some nice 20" wheels and 37" Nitto Tera Grapplers for sale that will fit a 8 lug GM HD.:D:)
If these would fit on a dodge I would be all over them.

Cole Trickle
01-18-2007, 10:03 AM
If these would fit on a dodge I would be all over them.
Should have bought a GM;)
Shot...buy them as a present for your brother!!!:D

dumbandyoung
01-18-2007, 10:47 AM
Don't lift it.....it just F-s up a nice truck......:idea:
:) :D :) :D :eek:
Thats something my grandma would say:D

AZJD
01-18-2007, 11:18 AM
Thanks bro, but I am getting Toyo muds and 22's for 2,000.00 new

Cole Trickle
01-18-2007, 11:35 AM
Thanks bro, but I am getting Toyo muds and 22's for 2,000.00 new
Thats a smoking deal!! you must have a deep hook up on the package.:) :D

AZJD
01-18-2007, 02:07 PM
Thats a smoking deal!! you must have a deep hook up on the package.:) :D
Ya but he told me to bring a thick pillow?????:confused:

Cole Trickle
01-18-2007, 02:14 PM
Ya but he told me to bring a thick pillow?????:confused:
Take 2 for the team and grab me a set for a Ford f350:D
I hope your buddy is really short;):devil:

Deano
01-18-2007, 02:17 PM
good choice on the cst. I have a 8" fabtech on my truck. Unless you like replacing idler and pitmans every time you change your oil, don't go with fabtech. Thats not an opinion, it is FACT. I am on my fourth set. :devil:

Brewzed
01-18-2007, 04:07 PM
I am running a CST 9-11 on my 2500, with the keys set at 11" and 37" tires. I chose BFG's because of their road noise, or lack thereof. I reasearched the design of Contigo, Full Throttle, CST. and Fabtech. I chose CST because of the way their lifts are built. CST lowers the front differential, and places it in a steel cage. This allows the CV joints to maintain the stock angles. All of the geometry in CST's lift is the same as stock. That translates into a great ride ( for a 3/4 ton truck)
I would also reccomend replacing the rear springs. Avoid lifting the rear with blocks, especially if you are towing a boat. Good luck in your search.
Just my .02
Aaron
I have the same lift with 38's. Rear springs are the only way to go. Blocks are gay

Uniqueperformancewest
01-18-2007, 04:50 PM
Hey I would recommend the CST 9-11 kit, that way you have the adjustability to go up to 10" but your over 8" at its lowest level. The CST kit is awesome and rides great, this kit will allow you to run the 40's aswell. I would recommend the toyo tires aswell if your looking for something quiet or the new Kumho's are really nice aswell and quiet. The other thing is if you are pulling a boat and concerned about weight both the Toyo's and the Kumho's offer a great load range on the tire. If you have any questions feel free to give me a call or shoot me an email.
Thanks John
Unique Performance West, Inc.
714-865-3502

me4drvr
01-18-2007, 05:21 PM
I have the same lift with 38's. Rear springs are the only way to go. Blocks are gay
Same lift... had to lower mine back down 2" for the 5th wheel, but the ride is not bad for an HD... had a Fagtech before and will NEVER buy one again.
will probably step down to 37" once the 38's wear out...
http://www.alssurvey.com/PICT2910.JPG

jojoshow
01-18-2007, 08:32 PM
I have a 2500HD with cst 6" and run 37 all terrains and it drives good and rides good no rub what so ever.

Pussywhippled
01-18-2007, 09:09 PM
I wants them there wheels & tires... PM sent

duffster
01-18-2007, 09:22 PM
If you like buying 1600.00 dollars worth of tires every year, go with the 40's. I'm tired of it. I should have gone with something that would let me run BFG All-Terrains.........
Dude 37/17 BFG All-Terrains still run about 1200.00 a set. My be we need to go back to the day's when we all had 85 Toyotas with 33's and a 3-inch Rancho lift.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1355P1010009.JPG

Pussywhippled
01-18-2007, 09:37 PM
I've been running 37" Goodyear MTR's... Tired of the rough and loud ride. If I don't get the Helos listed above, I might have to go with some BFG AT "girl truck" tires...

Charley
01-19-2007, 08:47 AM
9/11 CST
38" Toyo MT
18" Helos
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/38Truckchev056.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/38Races_078_web.jpg

GETSOME
01-19-2007, 08:55 AM
How is everyone liking there Toyo M/T? or A/T I am in need of new tires shortly but i want to find some that are quiet. I have PJs right now that are very noisy and make the steering wheel shake because they are cupped.

Cole Trickle
01-19-2007, 08:59 AM
How is everyone liking there Toyo M/T? or A/T I am in need of new tires shortly but i want to find some that are quiet. I have PJs right now that are very noisy and make the steering wheel shake because they are cupped.
Don't worry about tires....
We know your thinking of trading in that gas guzzler on a new toy.:D
http://www.bme.unc.edu/~rlg/rehabDesign/images/2001/jeepcolor_sm.jpg

GETSOME
01-19-2007, 09:01 AM
Don't worry about tires....
We know your thinking of trading in that gas guzzler on a new toy.:D
http://www.bme.unc.edu/~rlg/rehabDesign/images/2001/jeepcolor_sm.jpg
Ya hard choice either that. Or a brand new tahoe.

Cole Trickle
01-19-2007, 09:05 AM
Ya hard choice either that. Or a brand new tahoe.
Keep the truck
Lower it a smidge and get some decent on road tires and you will be golden.Don't forget to upgraded to bypasses with the double shock hoop in the front.:D
One of these days your gonna want to pull or haul something.

GETSOME
01-19-2007, 09:11 AM
Keep the truck
Lower it a smidge and get some decent on road tires and you will be golden.Don't forget to upgraded to bypasses with the double shock hoop in the front.:D
One of these days your gonna want to pull or haul something.
That right now is my plan. Then when i can get the money and do it right it will go back up with dual kings in the front and deavers in the rear. But right now i can hardly afford my bar tab. Let alone 2, 30 packs for the river and hard alky. But then again i will moe the lawn for that one.

lurid
01-19-2007, 09:14 AM
carry extra tie rods with you if you take it off road or hit a curb. had to get a buddy's truck fixed at the dunes (Yuma). the parts girl gave us a set of old take offs from a sheriffs tahoe. She said they can not keep those in stock.
Same buddy broke the front end 6 times before going with the second one down here on the website.
http://www.fstmotorsports.com/steering.htm
this is what can happen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iErHPe7L_zo

INSman
01-19-2007, 10:24 AM
The Toyo AT's are great tires and prtty darn quiet, comfortable and reliable. Not cheap however, but you usually get what you pay for

AZJD
01-19-2007, 01:36 PM
Thanks for putting up the pics. I cant beat the price on the CST and from what I hear from everyone it is a better lift. Thanks for the input, I will post some pics when I get it done.

dschifan
01-19-2007, 01:59 PM
my 06 gmc 2500hd on 37 bfg all terrains. handles good, glad i did not go bigger due to wear and tear and tire cost
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b102/buffguy22/1055589110_l.jpg

Force This
01-19-2007, 02:40 PM
CST 9-11 on 38s MTZ
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=22354&stc=1&d=1169246081