PDA

View Full Version : Choice between two boats, which one...

bigq
01-18-2007, 08:44 AM
If you had a choice between a Nordic 25 Rage or a DCB\Ultra 247 what would you choose?
The Rage might even turn out to be the Scandia ( same boat less step bottom). The Nordic just seems like a deeper boat and I think they should run about the same speed wise.
I like the Euro swimstep design of both boats. Not a big plexi glass fan on the Nordic or the seat bases, but I love the lines and the bigness of it.
The 247 has great line also and it would appear to be a little more nimble to drive.
Any thoughts?

DMOORE
01-18-2007, 08:50 AM
I have never driven in either. So with that ,I would say get a test drive in both before laying down the duckets. You never know, I have been in a few boats that I thought I would just love, and turned out I didn't care for the way the handled at all. They will both be made well, so it comes down to which one you like being in more.
Darrell.

blown dough
01-18-2007, 09:03 AM
Dcb For Sure

jbtrailerjim
01-18-2007, 09:10 AM
I've never driven the Nordic but I love the way my 247 drives. It's a lot of fun to drive and it handles awesome. I like the size of the Nordic 25 Rage but I prefer the lines of the 247 a lot more.

riverracerx
01-18-2007, 09:12 AM
Um....
Nordic!

wildbillg
01-18-2007, 09:16 AM
If you wanna talk about the Nordic give me a call.
or you can stop by the Nordic booth at the boat show and Ill talk to you there..
Here is my phone
928-230-1198
800-488-0258 ext 232
Bill Gardner
The Boat Brokers & RV
Lake Havasu City Az

shockwavebd
01-18-2007, 09:18 AM
Nordic!
UM.................
ULTRA......................:D

Big Kahunaa
01-18-2007, 09:18 AM
i'm looking at a nordic right now and i don't like the plexi but i think you could paint it match the boat and it would look good
but jbtrailerjim's boat looks good to

wildbillg
01-18-2007, 09:24 AM
i'm looking at a nordic right now and i don't like the plexi but i think you could paint it match the boat and it would look good
but jbtrailerjim's boat looks good to
Actually its not plexi glass its much much stronger it is lexan, plexi is not half as durable. Have not heard of anyone painting it but first time for everything. If you are thinking about a new one I know of a few we have done in white.

Cole Trickle
01-18-2007, 09:26 AM
Tough decision
I think the lines on the Ultra look better but I am almost positive that the 25' Rage is the fastest V in that size range.
If the Rage had good graphics and a smoking price I would probably go that route.
Both nice boats.

Tremor Therapy
01-18-2007, 09:32 AM
I've got friends with both, and I have ridden in both. The Ultra does not have as much freeboard, but like many have said, they like the syling better. The Rage seems like a much bigger boat (just spend some time in the cuddy cabin of both), and it did seem to have a lot more storage. I wouldn't hesitate to take the Rage out on a windy choppy day, while the lower Ultra/DCB might worry me a little. If you were going to be a river runner I would take the Ultra, but if you are a lake dweller, I'd take the Rage....my friends will find my opinion funny, because I'd own a Shockwave Tremor before I'd ever buy either of the other 2!

catman-do
01-18-2007, 09:38 AM
Never riden in either, but with the ultra atleast you can do standard custom graphix. When i was looking at Nordics they handed me a book and told me to choose a graphic, which none of them i liked. I could do a custom graphic for a substantial fee. By that time i could have gone somewhere else and done upgrades on the motor. I dont know about the service at Nordic, but do like that they have a place in Havi for the "just in case" moments. However, John and his boys at Ultra have EXCELENT customer service and i couldnt be happier with my boat! Well, i could, but that would include a 525, supercharger, and hugh hefners girlfriends bent over the helm. :idea:

Keith E. Sayre
01-18-2007, 09:57 AM
I've sold a couple used DCB/Ultra 24's and lots of new and
used Nordic 25's. Liked them all except the Scandia, which was built without the step, actually it's a completely different bottom. Fairly fast but difficult to drive. It uses
almost no trim EVER and tabs are a must. In plain English
it's a boat that is difficult to drive without porpoising.
The tough thing is knowing the difference between the Rage and the Scandia because they look alike . The Rage
has a stepped bottom with different strakes and is extremely fast for how big it is and it's easy to drive without tabs.
I consider all three manufacturers listed to be at
the top of the game on the west coast and most would like
the DCB24, Ultra 24 and the Nordic 25 Rage.
Good luck, like others have previously stated, go drive them!
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats

rivercrazy
01-18-2007, 10:02 AM
The 25' Rage is a much larger boat with more length, freeboard, and beam. The Ultra 247 is really only a 22 foot boat.

Big Kahunaa
01-18-2007, 10:13 AM
Actually its not plexi glass its much much stronger it is lexan, plexi is not half as durable. Have not heard of anyone painting it but first time for everything. If you are thinking about a new one I know of a few we have done in white.
no it's a 1990 23 foot i want to re gel the boat in all white and fill the windows in the cuddy i just can't muster up the ball's to drop that much coin on a boat but if i did the nordics would be one of the first i'd look at my buddys 05 28 foot heat is a nice boat

acatitude
01-18-2007, 10:26 AM
I'd take the HOWARD:D

dumbandyoung
01-18-2007, 10:45 AM
I've been in the Ultra and the Nordic.. I'd say go with the ultra... The Ultra looks a lot nicer to... i think:D
Good Luck

moneypit
01-18-2007, 10:52 AM
Um Nordic..
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/84cingle01.gif
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/403025_22.JPG
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/403027_24.JPG

YeLLowBoaT
01-18-2007, 10:53 AM
Um Nordic..
I can't seem to find the boat in that picture... :D

bigq
01-18-2007, 11:58 AM
Um Nordic..
I was looking at used ones,but if that is an option on the new Nordic I would go new!!:D

bigq
01-18-2007, 12:01 PM
I've sold a couple used DCB/Ultra 24's and lots of new and
used Nordic 25's. Liked them all except the Scandia, which was built without the step, actually it's a completely different bottom. Fairly fast but difficult to drive. It uses
almost no trim EVER and tabs are a must. In plain English
it's a boat that is difficult to drive without porpoising.
The tough thing is knowing the difference between the Rage and the Scandia because they look alike . The Rage
has a stepped bottom with different strakes and is extremely fast for how big it is and it's easy to drive without tabs.
I consider all three manufacturers listed to be at
the top of the game on the west coast and most would like
the DCB24, Ultra 24 and the Nordic 25 Rage.
Good luck, like others have previously stated, go drive them!
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
I will be looking at used for sure so what year did the Rage start? 2000? Sounds like I should stay away from the scandia bottom.

spectras only
01-18-2007, 12:36 PM
Chris Hall's [ Hall-n-Ass ] 25 Nordic is a great boat in the rough . He lives on Vancouver Island and uses his boat in the ocean , participating in the Sidney poker runs. The fastest [ 80 ] single engined V bottoms in the run .
http://www.vipr.ca/2005_7.htmHe is in the 3rd picture of this link .
Haven't been in an Ultra on the water ,but I know their boats .Their fit and finish is better than Nordic IMO . If you like the Ultra's look better , I'd get the 28 ;) , that's my favorite.

riverracerx
01-18-2007, 01:03 PM
I know where a very nice 28' Heat is for sale!!! :D

HatenWinter
01-18-2007, 01:17 PM
Were coming up on our third season with our Nordic Rage. I really like it and I'm happy with our decision. A couple of the downsides are the amount of bowrise when taking off and slowing down, you pretty much lose site of the horizon for a few seconds. Also, they are limited in their gel designs, you will probably see your exact boat or one very similar everytime you are out in Havasu. The things I really like about them are the deep V-bottom, lots of free board, and they are pretty stable in rough water. Personally I like the way it sits in the water and I really like the look of the windshield. The fastest I've had mine on GPS was 70, that was with half tanks and a couple of people running a Bravo 24 pitch (not labbed), middle of summer. I have 2 young kids so the way the boat handled the Havasu chop was very important to us. The kids have plenty of room in the cuddy to takes naps in too which is a huge plus.
I definately would look at each boat very closely, both great in their own ways. I would also probably stay away from the Scandia, just my opinion though. Best of luck in your decision!:)

BRSTQUEST
01-18-2007, 01:24 PM
I have the 247 and love it. I have had no problems with the boat which were not driver error. I would highly recommend this Ultra. Mine is an '02 with about 140 hrs on it. I have a 496 mag and it is right at 70 with a 24" bravo. I have only been on the Nordic at the boat show. I did ride on the 28 Nordic and was a nice boat. With my limited exposer to the Nordic I can't say anything bad. Owning an Ultra I can only say great things. My next boat will be a 28 Stealth for sure.

RiverDave
01-18-2007, 01:28 PM
Keith's advice is pretty sound. The rage has a fast bottom on it, the Scandia porpouses a bit from what I've been told.
I've been in a 247 in rough conditions and was very impressed with how the boat ran.
RD

Kilrtoy
01-18-2007, 01:48 PM
That is not even a hard one...
ULTRA

syke-o
01-18-2007, 02:12 PM
you need to pm FastFreddy on the boards, as he has a nordic i believe.. he has the fastet one on the planet and really knows how to get the most out of it with his driving expertise..

Jyruiz
01-18-2007, 02:35 PM
you need to pm FastFreddy on the boards, as he has a nordic i believe.. he has the fastet one on the planet and really knows how to get the most out of it with his driving expertise..
Even with the bimini up.:D

RUCAV
01-18-2007, 03:26 PM
As an owner of a 247, i'd say definitely GO ULTRA. Very good ride, easy to handle and a good looking boat. Good luck.

BajaMike
01-18-2007, 03:34 PM
If you wanna talk about the Nordic give me a call.
or you can stop by the Nordic booth at the boat show and Ill talk to you there..
Here is my phone
928-230-1198
800-488-0258 ext 232
Bill Gardner
The Boat Brokers & RV
Lake Havasu City Az
Does Nordic make a walk-thru, mid-cabin, open bow??
:confused:

mbrown2
01-18-2007, 03:36 PM
Ridden in both....the Nordic handled the bigger stuff better....I would get the Nordic.

BajaMike
01-18-2007, 03:39 PM
If you had a choice between a Nordic 25 Rage or a DCB\Ultra 247 what would you choose?
Why do you call it a "DCB\Ultra" ??? :confused:

Todd969
01-18-2007, 04:02 PM
I have a Rage collecting dust in my garage. Poor thing only saw the lake 3 times last year:(

voodoomedman
01-18-2007, 04:07 PM
Why do you call it a "DCB\Ultra" ??? :confused:
Because he is looking at used boats and the Ultra 247 was a mold that was purchased from DCB. It was the DCB Extreme 24 mold. Now all the Ultra's are tooled and designed for them and the 24 is a 24 Stealth. Totally different boat. So basically he is asking between the Nordic or a DCB Extreme 24 or Ultra 247.

riverracerx
01-18-2007, 04:37 PM
Does Nordic make a walk-thru, mid-cabin, open bow??
No, just the 22' Sprint which is a walk-thru open bow. No mid cabin. Nice little boat though. It was my first and I loved it!!
http://www.azdiscountmarine.com/used_boats_july_2005/2000%20NORDIC%2022%20SPRINT_Large.jpg
The Nordic's are HUGE on the inside too! I have the 28' and it has the biggest mid cabin I have ever been in for that size boat. Very family friendly!

CornWater
01-18-2007, 04:59 PM
Ridden in both....the Nordic handled the bigger stuff better....I would get the Nordic.
Wow, and disagree with Kilrtoy... the gods must be crazy...
:jawdrop:

TOBTEK
01-18-2007, 05:21 PM
have a buddy selling a newer 03 ( I think) Nordic 25 for the mid 50K's I'll get his # for you if interested.

AirtimeLavey
01-18-2007, 05:42 PM
Hard to go wrong w/either of those....if you just can't find a Lavey. :D Love the way my step V handles, and I have yet to put on tabs. I bought used and saved a ton. Almost bought a Nordic Rage, but glad I found the Lavey. Probably good time in the market to be buying. Good luck. :cool:

ULTRA28
01-18-2007, 07:14 PM
I don't think you could go wrong with either. I would suggest taking your time to find the best deal. There are going to be a lot more used boats on the market as soon as the weather warms up a bit. I don't have any of either in on trade right now, but I do have two 247s and one 25 rage coming in on trade in April once I get the new 26 Stealth finished.
http://www.ultraboats.com/instock_images/217.jpg

bigq
01-18-2007, 08:56 PM
I don't think you could go wrong with either. I would suggest taking your time to find the best deal. There are going to be a lot more used boats on the market as soon as the weather warms up a bit. I don't have any of either in on trade right now, but I do have two 247s and one 25 rage coming in on trade in April once I get the new 26 Stealth finished.
http://www.ultraboats.com/instock_images/217.jpg
OH Great now ya did it... that looks sweet:D How close will that be to the drawing,looks like a total step way from the current stealth design?

Redwing247
01-18-2007, 09:18 PM
Make sure to add the "after-burner" option. Come handy when you encounter some Cigs and other big baller's boat in Havasu during the Desert Storm Poker Run :D

Grinnin'B
01-18-2007, 09:48 PM
I love the nordic, and might have an option for you.
Check this out. http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138338 maybe the perfect deal and an almost new boat.
Grinnin'

Redrider
01-18-2007, 10:02 PM
No, just the 22' Sprint which is a walk-thru open bow. No mid cabin. Nice little boat though. It was my first and I loved it!!
http://www.azdiscountmarine.com/used_boats_july_2005/2000%20NORDIC%2022%20SPRINT_Large.jpg
The Nordic's are HUGE on the inside too! I have the 28' and it has the biggest mid cabin I have ever been in for that size boat. Very family friendly!
I remember that boat Chris!!! As for what I would buy, well... 25 Howard!:jawdrop:

cc322
01-18-2007, 10:04 PM
Hard to go wrong w/either of those....if you just can't find a Lavey. :D Love the way my step V handles, :cool:
That is priceless right there gotta love the Laveys:D IMO I have always liked the lines of the Nordics, just look like a very stout boat, also I believe the statement back says the 247 is not really a true 24 foot boat but a 22 measured by the true running surface, my vote goes to the Nordic a true 25' boat.

shockwaveharry
01-18-2007, 11:19 PM
Um....
Nordic!
UM.................
[B]ULTRA......................:D
Um...
Shockwave! :D Just foolin'.
The Nordic is a much bigger boat, has a fast bottom and handles big power well. I think both boats look great. How fast is the Ultra with a 496HO? When I was considering a new boat a couple years ago, I remember the Rage was the fastest with the HO in it's size class.

Mad Props
01-19-2007, 08:55 AM
I would go test drive a Shockwave, I have driven several 25's and always been impressed. I had the 29 and loved it.

bigq
01-20-2007, 09:27 AM
That is priceless right there gotta love the Laveys:D IMO I have always liked the lines of the Nordics, just look like a very stout boat, also I believe the statement back says the 247 is not really a true 24 foot boat but a 22 measured by the true running surface, my vote goes to the Nordic a true 25' boat.
I really like the 21' Lavey a lot, but for some reason the wife doesn't:rolleyes: and since it's my only path to ever having sex again i need to run with that.:D

IT'SONLYMONEY
01-20-2007, 10:09 AM
The Rage might even turn out to be the Scandia ( same boat less step bottom). The Nordic just seems like a deeper boat and I think they should run about the same speed wise.
I like the Euro swimstep design of both boats. Not a big plexi glass fan on the Nordic or the seat bases, but I love the lines and the bigness of it.
The 247 has great line also and it would appear to be a little more nimble to drive.
Any thoughts?
i would save a ton of money and get one that is already tricked out to the hilt like my 27 advantage victory open bow make you a great deal:)