PDA

View Full Version : Built 496 Mag HO ???

ULTRA26 # 1
01-18-2007, 09:39 PM
Has anyone built and/or supercharged a 496 to near 600 HP and had it be turnkey for any length of time?? How long and with what??
Are stock bottom ended Raylars holding together? Whippled?? Procharged?? I'd love to hear the good and the bad. (w/o bashing) Thanks
John M

Pussywhippled
01-18-2007, 09:42 PM
LOL... Better buy a smaller wallet because you won't need as much room when your done...

moneypit
01-18-2007, 09:44 PM
oh boy.. here we go
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Kilrtoy
01-18-2007, 09:46 PM
LOL... Better buy a smaller wallet because you won't need as much room when your done...
I disagree ,
Buy a bigger wallet for all the Service shops business cards your gonna need to hold in it

shockwaveharry
I think Pussywhippled is running Whip on his 496 and he seems happy from his sig line and all...
I dig the whole Raylar thing. There is a Lavey racing with one of their motors, I believe.
There are more than a few guys running 3 lbs ProCharger systems, I'd like to hear how they're doing too.

ULTRA26 # 1
What are you using for a rotating assembly? Heads??

INSman
I have (2) Raylar 600's, but not stock bottom ends or much else stock for that matter. Aside from a rocker nut failure on 1 motor that could have been avoided, the motors have run flawlessly.

shockwaveharry
01-18-2007, 09:47 PM
You're unhappy??

ULTRA26 # 1
01-18-2007, 09:48 PM
Raylar bottom Ends?

ULTRA26 # 1
01-18-2007, 09:49 PM
You're unhappy??
Not at all.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
01-18-2007, 11:37 PM
Has anyone built and/or supercharged a 496 to near 600 HP and had it be turnkey for any length of time?? How long and with what??
Are stock bottom ended Raylars holding together? Whippled?? Procharged?? I'd love to hear the good and the bad. (w/o bashing) Thanks
John M
I had the first WhippleCharged 496 MAG HO......
Made 625 HP....
Put about 125 hours on it, then sold it....
Built my WhippleCharged 565........
CJG
:D

shadow
01-19-2007, 06:17 AM
Raylar bottom Ends?
Call Chris @ Prestige 928-680-3344 he just installed the lastest Raylar on a 496 ho mot mag and picked up i belive 15 or 20mph.
Aaron @ Absolute is also one of the most familiar with Raylar.Like INSman said they had some issues in the earlier days with rocker nuts,but i belive they have that ironed out.
I've had my Raylar for a couple of seasons and has been Turn Key and i use my boat just about every weekned..I don't think anyone can tell you how long stock merc cast pistons will last.Thats the luck of the draw and imho the weakest link.
Personally i'd sell the 496 take the money and apply all the $$ towards a
new power plant.Not because of reliability or any thing like that .Because
a little taste of 100hp or so wears off soon.

Not So Fast
01-19-2007, 07:00 AM
Call Chris @ Prestige 928-680-3344 he just installed the lastest Raylar on a 496 ho mot mag and picked up i belive 15 or 20mph.
Aaron @ Absolute is also one of the most familiar with Raylar.Like INSman said they had some issues in the earlier days with rocker nuts,but i belive they have that ironed out.
I've had my Raylar for a couple of seasons and has been Turn Key and i use my boat just about every weekned..I don't think anyone can tell you how long stock merc cast pistons will last.Thats the luck of the draw and imho the weakest link.
Well Said !! And unless you have unlimited funds DO NOT FORGET ABOUT INSURANCE!!!:idea: NSF

INSman
01-19-2007, 07:36 AM
If I am not mistaken, Ray has a core swap program where he will take your 496 block and sell you a built one so you don't take the huge hit of buying an entirely NEW motor. You also keep all of your factory Merc wiring harnesses, marine crap and all of your stock "Guardian" systems. :D

Dave C
01-19-2007, 08:49 AM
I checked into this quite a bit and I have done builds like this in the past with older 454's.
The entire 496 is a boat anchor. But its fine up to 500-550 hp. I think Raylar upgrades the bottom end for their 600 hp.
IMHO... either build a Raylar and be happy with the power that you get from the kit. Otherwise sell the motor and buy something else.
I would not supercharge a 496. All of the cost of the blower to only turn it 3lbs. Thats a complete waste. You can't turn up the boost on a 496 and expect it to live.
The 496 was never built to accept a blower unlke the previous generation VI motor (i.e. 502). That is why the blower kits for a 496 only come with low boost.
The previous Gen VI 502 had forged pistons, 4 bolt, good crank and rods, decent head for a blower, etc. The 496 has crap, crap and more crap in it. (496=cast pistons, cheap crank & rods, non-siamesed block :yuk: :yuk: )
If you want a blower, your money would be better spent on something else which you will have more options on.

THOR
01-19-2007, 09:41 AM
I had the first WhippleCharged 496 MAG HO......
Made 625 HP....
Put about 125 hours on it, then sold it....
Built my WhippleCharged 565........
CJG
:D
How hard did you drive the HO Chris? For instance, when I am cruising it is around 3600-3900 rpm. But, I have friends that run full throttle.
Were the 125 hours fairly easy hours?

Pussywhippled
01-19-2007, 09:46 AM
The entire 496 is a boat anchor. The 496 has crap, crap and more crap in it. (496=cast pistons, cheap crank & rods, non-siamesed block :yuk: :yuk: )
Dave, what motor are you running in your boat?

beaverretriever
01-19-2007, 09:50 AM
I know someone with the Raylar kit. He beats the hell out of it and has not had one problem with over another 100+ hrs since the kit. Im not quite sure, but I believe he is still retains the stock bottom end.
If you want to go big, I heard the king of the hopped up 496HO is Larry Peto in AZ. Everything I heard about his rebuild/blown power package is extremely positive; although spendy. Don't hold me to it but I believe it is around 12-15k for a pretty high HP, bulletproof setup (over the cost of the factory engine).
Good luck

Cole Trickle
01-19-2007, 09:57 AM
Leave it alone;)
It's an awesome performing 80mph deck boat that is easy to insure.
Drive it for 2 years and sell/trade in for an infused 26' Deck with a 525 or 625Illmor that has a warranty. (Stock powered boats sell way better than boats with huge worked engines):) :D

Not So Fast
01-19-2007, 10:03 AM
Leave it alone;)
Drive it for 2 years and sell/trade in for an infused 26' Deck with a 525 or 625Illmor that has a warranty. (Stock powered boats sell way better than boats with huge worked engines):) :D
Couldnt have said it better myself!!!!!!! NSF

01-19-2007, 10:18 AM
I would not supercharge a 496. All of the cost of the blower to only turn it 3lbs. Thats a complete waste. You can't turn up the boost on a 496 and expect it to live.
I humbly disagree. The key to supercharging the 496 in in the enginge management. If you keep it from detonation, it will do just fine. I run 5.5lbs with a Whipple and have 95 hours on it. It has been completely turn-key. I do have a "worry factor" that I know I wouldn't have with a different bottom end. I don't plan to run the set-up past 200 hours at which time I'll either upgrade the bottom end, or go bigger. The other things to consider is the rest of your set-up (steering, drive, etc.). You don't run 600+HP without stepping up those items too.
-----Rob

beaverretriever
01-19-2007, 10:32 AM
Leave it alone;)
That thing will run 80 with HO power? Thats pretty darn good.

Cole Trickle
01-19-2007, 10:48 AM
That thing will run 80 with HO power? Thats pretty darn good.
Pretty sure he is seeing right at 82mph with an HO and CMI headers. the new Ultra Deck is pretty light and runs hard.
They are now infuing the boat and shaving about 30% of the hull weight. I think an infused 26 deck with a HO would be about perfect for reliability and performance.:D:D :idea:

phebus
01-19-2007, 10:49 AM
I think an infused 26 deck with a HO would be about perfect for reliability and performance.:D:D :idea:
And insurance costs.

Cole Trickle
01-19-2007, 10:54 AM
And insurance costs.
If I had as much $$ as you I would throw a TPI 848 in it and call it a day!!!:D :devil:
Hows the yard...any progress pics?:)

phebus
01-19-2007, 11:02 AM
If I had as much $$ as you I would throw a TPI 848 in it and call it a day!!!:D :devil:
Hows the yard...any progress pics?:)
Upper yard is done with the exception of the Palapa I am going to build over the spa, and all the decorator stuff we are going to toss around. I will take some pictures, and post them.
If I were to get a custom motor TPI would be at the top of my list. Quality build, by a quality person.

shadow
01-19-2007, 11:10 AM
Upper yard is done with the exception of the Palapa I am going to build over the spa, and all the decorator stuff we are going to toss around. I will take some pictures, and post them.
If I were to get a custom motor TPI would be at the top of my list. Quality build, by a quality person.
Rick,let me know when you are ready for Palapas.I know the Palpa/Tiki king & Queen.
Remember the brady Bunch in Hawwaii?Only certain peopls can handle this Tiki type of stuff or the gods will get you.:jawdrop:

phebus
01-19-2007, 11:12 AM
Rick,let me know when you are ready for Palapas.I know the Palpa/Tiki king & Queen.
Remember the brady Bunch in Hawwaii?Only certain peopls can handle this Tiki type of stuff or the gods will get you.:jawdrop:
I need to build a four post Palapa, approx. 8X14' over the spa.
Do they do custom stuff, or is it just kits?

Cole Trickle
01-19-2007, 11:16 AM
Sounds cool.
<-----not mad you stole my idea kinda;):D
I have two bitchen Palapas and now can't aford a jacuzzi to put under it:( :mad: :D

shadow
01-19-2007, 11:17 AM
Yeah Rick,I think they do it all.I'm heading out of town in a few minutes but when i get back i'll exchange #'s with you and you can see if they have anything that fit's your needs.

Cole Trickle
01-19-2007, 11:17 AM
Shhhhh:D
Don't tell people or they will become so rich and famous they won't party with us anymore!!!:( :D
Got any of those sweet Shadow shirts in a Large:D :devil:

ULTRA26 # 1
01-19-2007, 02:24 PM
Thanks all. As I mentioned to Bobby, (NSF), in a PM I have little intention of messing with my 496 any time soon. The reason for the post was to see if anyone was having any good luck with building the 496. If I ever did build a 496 it would not be the one in my boat. While the 496 has weak points it also has striong ones like its closed cooling for a controled burn and it's FI system Don't think I would want to push a 496 beyond 700 Whippled HP, even with a forged bottom end. For now, I extremely happy with how my 26 performs with stock power and I love the insurability factor. The HO with CMI's is a great package. I'm just one of those people who is always considering going faster but don't have the coin for Teague power. Again, thanks for everyone's input.
John M

Havasu1986
01-19-2007, 02:42 PM
I'm just one of those people who is always considering going faster but don't have the coin for Teague power. Again, thanks for everyone's input.
John M
The only person in a deck boat that wants to go faster is the driver. Not fun for the passengers.:(

ULTRA26 # 1
01-19-2007, 02:53 PM
The only person in a deck boat that wants to go faster is the driver. Not fun for the passengers.:(
You're right about that one. Windy!!!!
John M

dumbandyoung
01-19-2007, 03:15 PM
have a friend who custom builds them for his bbq island company. there made from scratch. no kits

dumbandyoung
01-19-2007, 03:25 PM
Thanks all. As I mentioned to Bobby, (NSF), in a PM I have little intention of messing with my 496 any time soon. The reason for the post was to see if anyone was having any good luck with building the 496. If I ever did build a 496 it would not be the one in my boat. While the 496 has weak points it also has striong ones like its closed cooling for a controled burn and it's FI system Don't think I would want to push a 496 beyond 700 Whippled HP, even with a forged bottom end. For now, I extremely happy with how my 26 performs with stock power and I love the insurability factor. The HO with CMI's is a great package. I'm just one of those people who is always considering going faster but don't have the coin for Teague power. Again, thanks for everyone's input.
John M
I just read in Feb ***boat that a 26 deck with a 525 was getting 79. what are you getting?

Beer-30
01-19-2007, 03:55 PM
The HO with CMI's is a great package. I'm just one of those people who is always considering going faster but don't have the coin for Teague power. Again, thanks for everyone's input.
John M
I am currently collecting parts to do a moderate mod to mine. I had spoke earlier about adding roller rockers, but needed to do some more research. My wife and make a very comfortable living, but I am just not going to throw thousands of dollars at the boat for no reason. Other than exhaust, there is very little info on other mods other than a full Raylar package.
So, that being said, I have collected so far:
1.15" valve cover spacers (those are the shortest I could find).
1.75 ratio Scorpion roller rockers (to put lift at .525" from .510").
ARP 135-7201 conversion rocker studs (from metric to 7/16").
I am also going to collect a set of beehive valvesprings and associated retainers and locks. Probably CompCams #26120 springs.
I plan to pull the stock exhaust, put on the valvesprings and rockers, and re-install the stock exhaust. I want to see how this package improves the motor (or doesn't). I will keep everyone updated.
After I see the results of this setup, I will see what is new in exhaust. If nothing superior has materialized, I will add Lighnings. It seems a little crazy to pull the stock exh and put it back on, but I want to provide results - step by step.
I plan to then go to Whipple and re-program the ECM. I would only do this after these mods. It would be crazy to re-cal and then modify the motor.

INSman
01-19-2007, 07:26 PM
Rick, DO NOT even consider building one of these without contacing my guy Chris @ www.bajapalapas.com/
One of the most honest, knowledgeable, hard working guys you will ever meet. He will not just sell you and install some off the shelf kit. I could go on an on about his product and sevice, but check him out for yourself. ;)

Pussywhippled
01-19-2007, 09:37 PM
If you want to go big, I heard the king of the hopped up 496HO is Larry Peto in AZ. Everything I heard about his rebuild/blown power package is extremely positive; although spendy. Don't hold me to it but I believe it is around 12-15k for a pretty high HP, bulletproof setup (over the cost of the factory engine).
Good luck
Oh yeah... Larry is the King...

ULTRA26 # 1
01-20-2007, 07:59 AM
I just read in Feb ***boat that a 26 deck with a 525 was getting 79. what are you getting?
My best GPS speed is 80.6, up river with a serious headwind, HO with CMI's, and a Merc labbed 28, at 5000 rpm's When HB tested JW's 26, it was the first time the boat had been in the water, no dial in time at all. I've been told that JW's 26 with a 525 runs 85 and his boat I believe is somewhat heavier than mine.
John M

Escape Velocity
01-20-2007, 10:34 AM
I have (2) Raylar 600's, but not stock bottom ends or much else stock for that matter. Aside from a rocker nut failure on 1 motor that could have been avoided, the motors have run flawlessly.
Blane,
Please check the PM I sent you on Jan. 5. Curious about how things are working without ebox and about your new organization.
Randy

DAB
01-20-2007, 10:42 AM
My best GPS speed is 80.6, up river with a serious headwind, HO with CMI's, and a Merc labbed 28, at 5000 rpm's When HB tested JW's 26, it was the first time the boat had been in the water, no dial in time at all. I've been told that JW's 26 with a 525 runs 85 and his boat I believe is somewhat heavier than mine.
John M
Ultra 26#1, nice speeds with the HO/CMI package...
JW said previously that his was infused, sometime in the October HB evaluation thread so I don't think it should be heavier than yours...

ULTRA26 # 1
01-20-2007, 02:37 PM
Ultra 26#1, nice speeds with the HO/CMI package...
JW said previously that his was infused, sometime in the October HB evaluation thread so I don't think it should be heavier than yours...
I don't believe that John's 26 in infused. As I recall, the 1st infused 26 was the one built after John's. I was told that my 26 was a light lay-up as non-infused 26's go. However, I don't believe that my boat has ever been weighed, so who knows. I do know that I really like the boat and can't wait to see it with the painted rubrail and the new power wind deflectors. I'm scheduled to get my boat back from Ultra this Wed. I also had the carpet changed out to a med gray. The dark gray was way to hot. Thanks for the complment.
John M

nodigg
01-20-2007, 03:23 PM
John M
Yank it out and buy a built motor now, or yank it out later and build it after you break it. I know a guy with a fresh 540 for sale.....:D

KingTUT
01-27-2007, 08:30 AM
Do yourself a favor, talk to HTM, Arizona speed and marine, Boostpower about pistons first. The can help you out with some GOOD pistons. Not the cheap and fragile Mahle pistons Raylar are trying to push. As for the crank,rods,heads, Raylar is selling appear to be good quality. Just research your piston choice carefully. I would suggest CP pistons.

Pussywhippled
01-27-2007, 08:34 AM
I would suggest JE Pistons, but mine are custom built...

Raylar
01-28-2007, 10:51 AM
Kingtut:
Sorry you supposedly had a problem with Mahle beautiful forged piston for the 496 in your "someone" else built 496 motor. The one that dissapeared by the way. At current count we have over 68 - 496 engines out there in the world running the Mahle pistons in 550HP to 825HP N/A and blown 496's and they are all still running flawlessly with some over 300Hrs. We know the Mahle 496 pistons which we helped design are some of the best in the world. Ask CP how many total sets of 496 pistons they have built to date?
Quit your bashing and get busy boating!
Ray @ Raylar

Beer-30
01-28-2007, 11:06 AM
Ray, that was a nice, short post - but the original Tut post was unworthy of any response. That horse has been beat beyond recognition. Judging by the lack of response, I think everyone here (except one) knows better. :)

Not So Fast
01-28-2007, 11:21 AM
I got to look at the RayLar 525 buildup that Chris at Prestige just finished and it looked very cool, nice job done. He said they hit 83mph in a 28 Cobra V (I think thats what it was) Damn impressive!!!!!! NSF

driverno8
02-06-2007, 04:33 PM
Boost mentioned reprograming the ECM. Any body done this or have thoughts on it? Is it worth the $700?

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
02-06-2007, 04:51 PM
so when do you tell us what speed you are getting now

Beer-30
02-06-2007, 06:02 PM
Boost mentioned reprograming the ECM. Any body done this or have thoughts on it? Is it worth the $700?
It's not $700, it's $849 (stage-I). I plan to do it after roller rockers, performance valvesprings, and then headers. After those things are done, I plan to have Whipple (the only ones with the rights to PCM555 reprogramming) tune up the ECM.

dicudmore
02-06-2007, 07:46 PM
so when do you tell us what speed you are getting now
that information is highly classified it seems :D