PDA

View Full Version : DUI's in AZ are going to get more harsh...

DILLIGAF
01-19-2007, 07:44 AM
Tougher DUI Bill
PHOENIX, AZ - The state legislature is looking at another measure to stiffen penalties for DUI offenders. A new proposal by State Senator Jim Waring would call for a new blood-alcohol content classification for the most extreme DUI cases. His bill would force first-time extreme offenders to serve a full 30 or 45 days in jail with no reduced time for attending treatment programs. Waring emphasized he is not going after most DUI offenders, who serve their time and do not repeat their offense, just the most extreme ones.
Statistics in Arizona show, drivers with blood-alcohol levels, or BACs, nearly double the legal limit. At least 0.15%, accounted for nearly two-thirds of all alcohol-related vehicle deaths in 2005. Previous legislative action knocked the BAC limit to 0.08% from 0.10% and defined extreme DUI as 0.15% from 0.18%. Waring would like to create a new DUI classification of 0.20%. The senators on his Public Safety Committee unanimously approved Waring's bills yesterday. Also, the Senate Transportation Committee unanimously endorsed the bill earlier this month. It would still need approval from the full Senate, House of Representatives and Governor Janet Napolitano.

Boozer
01-19-2007, 08:17 AM
Tougher DUI Bill
PHOENIX, AZ - The state legislature is looking at another measure to stiffen penalties for DUI offenders. A new proposal by State Senator Jim Waring would call for a new blood-alcohol content classification for the most extreme DUI cases. His bill would force first-time extreme offenders to serve a full 30 or 45 days in jail with no reduced time for attending treatment programs. Waring emphasized he is not going after most DUI offenders, who serve their time and do not repeat their offense, just the most extreme ones.
Statistics in Arizona show, drivers with blood-alcohol levels, or BACs, nearly double the legal limit. At least 0.15%, accounted for nearly two-thirds of all alcohol-related vehicle deaths in 2005. Previous legislative action knocked the BAC limit to 0.08% from 0.10% and defined extreme DUI as 0.15% from 0.18%. Waring would like to create a new DUI classification of 0.20%. The senators on his Public Safety Committee unanimously approved Waring's bills yesterday. Also, the Senate Transportation Committee unanimously endorsed the bill earlier this month. It would still need approval from the full Senate, House of Representatives and Governor Janet Napolitano.
This is good news in my opinion. If the government wants DUI's to stop they need to make the penalties for doing so so harsh that noone will want to risk it. Personally I think a DUI should be considered attempted murder.
A friend of mine got a DUI on New Years and blew a .22 and this is his second offense. When the cop asked him how he got to where he was (his car was stuck in a snow drift) he told the cop he didn't know. According to his attorney he's only going to do 15 days in jail for this and I think that is way to light of a sentence. What if he had driven his car into a minivan full of kids or something?
If you knew that getting a DUI meant facing charges for attempted murder would you chance it?

Trailer Park Casanova
01-19-2007, 09:22 AM
Just a short while back, an ex brother-in-law ran from the cops in AZ, went the wrong way on the highway near Phoenix for over 6 miles into on coming traffic, totaled his truck,, then assaulted the officers,, tested extreme DUI,,, and for about $22 grand, his DUI atty got him off,, no record,, no time,,,, nothing.
This guy is a complete A hole, and walked.
I gotta problem with that.

dumbandyoung
01-19-2007, 02:16 PM
This is good news in my opinion. If the government wants DUI's to stop they need to make the penalties for doing so so harsh that noone will want to risk it. Personally I think a DUI should be considered attempted murder.
true that

No Name
01-19-2007, 02:22 PM
Tougher DUI Bill
I know of an easy way to get around that.
DON”T DRINK AND DRIVE>>>>>>>>>>AZZ-HOLES:D :D

460 jus getn it
01-19-2007, 02:34 PM
I got a dui, costed me a career and 10k. Got 5 days and had to do 16 hours of school. I know guys who blew well over a .15 and walked away with nothing.

djunkie
01-19-2007, 02:40 PM
A friend of mine got a DUI on New Years and blew a .22 and this is his second offense. When the cop asked him how he got to where he was (his car was stuck in a snow drift) he told the cop he didn't know. According to his attorney he's only going to do 15 days in jail for this and I think that is way to light of a sentence. What if he had driven his car into a minivan full of kids or something?
If you knew that getting a DUI meant facing charges for attempted murder would you chance it?
I agree for stiffer punishments but attempted murder sounds a little extreme to me. Now if you caused and accident or something than thats a different story.

No Name
01-19-2007, 02:44 PM
I got a dui, costed me a career and 10k.
OUCH….picked one up myself 4 years ago. Blew right at the limit so was able to get it dropped to a reckless. Still cost me 5K for a lawyer, 750.00 in fines and 20 hours of community service, not to mention the insurance hike for the next three years.:cry: :cry:
Lesson learned…..never again.

Jordy
01-19-2007, 02:45 PM
costed me a career and 10k.
I bet that magazine that you were proof reading for really misses you too!! :D :D :D

460 jus getn it
01-19-2007, 02:50 PM
I bet that magazine that you were proof reading for really misses you too!! :D :D :D
Yep, told them i was going to get a job posting in non correct grammer on ***boat.

460 jus getn it
01-19-2007, 02:52 PM
OUCH….picked one up myself 4 years ago. Blew right at the limit so was able to get it dropped to a reckless. Still cost me 5K for a lawyer, 750.00 in fines and 20 hours of community service, not to mention the insurance hike for the next three years.:cry: :cry:
Lesson learned…..never again.Yep, i was in my final month of my years probation with the fire dept. Lesson learned, i wont ever do it again.

djunkie
01-19-2007, 02:52 PM
Yep, told them i was going to get a job posting in non correct grammer on ***boat.
A career you do so well too. :D

460 jus getn it
01-19-2007, 02:55 PM
A career you do so well too. :DThat's right. Why start typing and spelling right now. No need for it, i use caps sometimes.

djunkie
01-19-2007, 03:10 PM
That's right. Why start typing and spelling right now. No need for it, i use caps sometimes.
NO!!!!!! Not the caps!!!!!!:devil:

460 jus getn it
01-19-2007, 03:11 PM
NO!!!!!! Not the caps!!!!!!:devil:
LMAO.............................................. ..............................................

dumbandyoung
01-19-2007, 03:33 PM
we should try to pass a bill that all boat cops must be women, have huge tits and were small swim suits.

GRUNION
01-20-2007, 08:14 AM
Just went to a memorial service for a friend that was killed by a drunk driver.

KreatinKaos
01-20-2007, 09:23 PM
we should try to pass a bill that all boat cops must be women, have huge tits and were small swim suits.
Good idea :devil:

Forkin' Crazy
01-20-2007, 09:55 PM
Just a short while back, an ex brother-in-law ran from the cops in AZ, went the wrong way on the highway near Phoenix for over 6 miles into on coming traffic, totaled his truck,, then assaulted the officers,, tested extreme DUI,,, and for about $22 grand, his DUI atty got him off,, no record,, no time,,,, nothing.
This guy is a complete A hole, and walked.
I gotta problem with that.
A perfect example of "If you have enough money, it will buy you out of anything."
It has been .08 here for some time now, and if .06, it is up to the officer's discretion.

BoatPI
01-21-2007, 05:21 AM
Good. I was ran over from behind on a motorcycle years ago and could have been killed. he got NO jail time. Things have changed.

Moneypitt
01-21-2007, 10:48 AM
It is, and has been a never ending battle to keep drunk drivers off the roads in this country. Some Central and South American countries have extremely severe punishments for 1st time offenders, years in prison, even without tragic results like death or injury. This country still has a problem, and drunk drivers are less than half of it. Percentage wise, SOBER drivers KILL more people than drunk drivers. (Don't get me wrong here, one person hurt or killed by a drunk driver is one too many), but what possible excuse does a sober driver have? When a sober driver has an "accident" and the results are death and destruction, the court systems have a totally different attitude about it. Why? Why not prosecute bad sober drivers, (we've all seen them on the road, people that just have no clue.), with at least the same zest as we prosecute an impared driver that hasn't hit anything or anyone, but is .08 or higher? As our system stands now, an arrest for .08, just .08, will be punished more severely than a sober driver that kills someone in an "accident". Maybe our system of driver training/evaluation needs to get on the same page as the war on imparied drivers. Also, how many alcohol related accidents are, in fact, a bad, sober driver's fault? This is something that none of the current systems take into consideration. Impared driving is wrong, but bad sober driving is just as wrong, and something we never hear about.......MP

SHOTKALLIN
01-21-2007, 11:15 AM
if they used to be swim suits what are they now?:D

Jrocket
01-21-2007, 12:07 PM
Harsher the penalty the better.

dumbandyoung
01-21-2007, 12:07 PM
hairy men in ups shorts

ratso
01-21-2007, 02:46 PM
Lesson learned…..never again.
...so, the little lady drove you to drinking huh?http://***boat.com/ubb/graemlins/idea_2.gif :D