PDA

View Full Version : California Carbon Monoxide Stickers!

Boatcop
01-27-2006, 03:05 PM
I got the definitive answer to the question about the CO stickers, a lot of you got with your registration. Straight from the California Boating Law Administrator.
A California dealer who sells a boat in California has to affix the sticker(s) to the stern and to an area around the helm. (Steering wheel for you land-lubbers)
A current boat owner is under no legal obligation to affix the decals, nor is a buyer of a used boat who gets the decals with their registration required to put them on.
There is no "in-the-field" enforcement authority tied to the decals or lack thereof. California Officers will not be using the lack of a sticker to stop boats, nor will they be issuing citations.
Authorities will, however, be actively looking for, citing and/or arresting people who are "Teak Dragging" or are otherwise engaging in boating activities where a person is being towed in close proximity to the stern of a running vessel.
The purpose of the decals is to raise awareness of the CO problem, and the potential for serious injury or death from Carbon Monoxide inhalation. Their use and display is voluntary and ENCOURAGED.
For more info on Carbon Monoxide and boating, please check out this link:
The Silent Killer (http://www.uscgboating.org/articles/boatingview.aspx?id=22)

RiverDave
01-27-2006, 03:07 PM
Would you put those stickers on your boat? (Wearing the hat as Alan owner of Strip Search, not BoatCop)
RD

riverracerx
01-27-2006, 03:12 PM
Get two and use them as pasties.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
01-27-2006, 03:13 PM
i don't get "teak surfing". :confused: what and why ??

riverbound
01-27-2006, 03:16 PM
i don't get "teak surfing". :confused: what and why ??
Basically the idea is to hang on to the swim step and breath as much CO as you can. :rolleyes:
Alan, do AZ boats get the stickers??

riverbound
01-27-2006, 03:17 PM
Get two and use them as pasties.
God Idea....and it comes with 2 (one for the stern and one fro the helm) :D

Mrs. Bordsmnj
01-27-2006, 03:17 PM
[QUOTE=riverbound]Basically the idea is to hang on to the swim step and breath as much CO as you can. :rolleyes:
QUOTE]
I still don't get it, why???

RiverDave
01-27-2006, 03:21 PM
[QUOTE=riverbound]Basically the idea is to hang on to the swim step and breath as much CO as you can. :rolleyes:
QUOTE]
Apparently people are / where hanging onto the swim steps of wakeboard boats and jet boats and getting dragged through the water.. Why? To cool off, or maybe it sounded like a good idea at the time.
I guess nobody realized, that the exhaust of the boat comes out right there, and people inhale CO pass out and sink to the bottom..
CO is colorless and odorless so the theory is they didn't see it coming.
In REALITY though, boat exhaust is made up of alot more then Carbon monoxide. So it is not odorless to say the least. How these people could not know they were sucking fumes is beyond me.
RD

YeLLowBoaT
01-27-2006, 03:23 PM
they had some 13 y/o kid die last year... it was what started this whole shbang. teak surfing is like valley surfing with out a surf bored.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
01-27-2006, 03:25 PM
Apparently people are / where hanging onto the swim steps of wakeboard boats and jet boats and getting dragged through the water.. Why? To cool off, or maybe it sounded like a good idea at the time.
I guess nobody realized, that the exhaust of the boat comes out right there, and people inhale CO pass out and sink to the bottom..
CO is colorless and odorless so the theory is they didn't see it coming.
In REALITY though, boat exhaust is made up of alot more then Carbon monoxide. So it is not odorless to say the least. How these people could not know they were sucking fumes is beyond me.
RD
You would think the fact that there is a prop spinning back there would be enough to keep people inside the boat while running????
Stupid people.

riverbound
01-27-2006, 03:25 PM
Basically the idea is to hang on to the swim step and breath as much CO as you can. :rolleyes:
Darwinism at its best :D

RiverDave
01-27-2006, 03:26 PM
WakeBoard Boats and Jets.. Not so much on I/O's.. ;) :D From the prop perspective on a wakeboard boat it's actually pretty safe to be back there. From the exhaust perspective, not so much. :D
RD

Mrs. Bordsmnj
01-27-2006, 03:29 PM
WakeBoard Boats and Jets.. Not so much on I/O's.. ;) :D From the prop perspective on a wakeboard boat it's actually pretty safe to be back there. From the exhaust perspective, not so much. :D
RD
Oooooooooooh, ok. I am used to Io's so the thought never crosses my mind to sit on the step while running.
Didn't someone on here once tell a story about the mishaps of tinkling off the transom while the boat was running, I believe a late night trip home from Roadrunner???? Sound familiar???? :D

riverbound
01-27-2006, 03:30 PM
Oooooooooooh, ok. I am used to Io's so the thought never crosses my mind to sit on the step while running.
Didn't someone on here once tell a story about the mishaps of tinkling off the transom while the boat was running, I believe a late night trip home from Roadrunner???? Sound familiar???? :D
lmao :D

RiverDave
01-27-2006, 03:33 PM
Yep.. someone did. LOL
RD

Mrs.Racer277
01-27-2006, 03:34 PM
Thank you very much for the information Boatcop. :) :)

Mrs. Bordsmnj
01-27-2006, 03:35 PM
Yep.. someone did. LOL
RD
:D
Luv ya Dave!

Boatcop
01-27-2006, 03:47 PM
Would you put those stickers on your boat? (Wearing the hat as Alan owner of Strip Search, not BoatCop)
RD
As Alan, I haven't got any of the stickers from the State of California. If I ever do, I'll put them on. ;)
As BoatCop, they are already in place on our Official boats, and have been for more than 2 years.
In all reality though, since I've had to investigate a number of boating CO poisoning deaths, you could say that I am already very aware of the problem.

RiverDave
01-27-2006, 03:50 PM
:D :D I love your responses.
What I was pointing out, is they do tend to take away some of the aesthetic appeal of the boat. The Cop Boats are a look all there own so it fits right in on them.. LOL
Personally I think I'd rather be the smart guy that sais. Everyone in the boat when it's moving. :D Or just not start the motor when it's not. Loud music (while important) isn't worth dieing over.. ;)
RD

Mandelon
01-27-2006, 08:09 PM
As Alan, I haven't got any of the stickers from the State of California. If I ever do, I'll put them on. ;)
As BoatCop, they are already in place on our Official boats, and have been for more than 2 years.
In all reality though, since I've had to investigate a number of boating CO poisoning deaths, you could say that I am already very aware of the problem.
Alan I am going to mail you mine.....what's the address there? And I'll be checking them too!!!! :cool:

HCS
03-20-2006, 12:18 PM
It says right on the back of these stickers that.
(1) California law requires owner to place decal in a location
that is immediately visible to the vessel operator.
(2) California law requires owner to place decal facing out
on the exterior of the stern.
Glad you clearified how they were going to enforce this Alan.
Thanks.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/637sticker.jpg

Havasu_Dreamin
03-20-2006, 12:23 PM
Authorities will, however, be actively looking for, citing and/or arresting people who are "Teak Dragging"
So they finally made being stupid a crime? :p

572Daytona
03-20-2006, 12:57 PM
Real men teak surf behind this. At least you won't die of CO poisoning. :220v:
http://home.alltel.net/jthieme/mvc-915f.jpg

NautiTwins
03-20-2006, 01:04 PM
You would think the fact that there is a prop spinning back there would be enough to keep people inside the boat while running????
Stupid people.
I am going to answer this even though I may catch some flake!
Have you ever body surfed in the ocean?? It is sort of the same idea. Take the boat 8-10 mph, hold on the handle and jump into the wake. You can use your feet and hips to go back and forth over the wake. Yes it is very fun, yes it can kill you unless you have side exhaust and yes you usually do this after heavy consumption of your favorite beverage.

Lightning
03-20-2006, 01:12 PM
I'd agree...additionally, the prop seems to be relatively forgiving.

wsuwrhr
03-20-2006, 01:19 PM
You are my hero, I had been looking all over for this picture. I gave up a year ago.
Brian

roostwear
03-20-2006, 01:24 PM
The signs of carbon monoxide poisoning sound an awful lot like a typical boater's party. :idea:

572Daytona
03-20-2006, 01:32 PM
You are my hero, I had been looking all over for this picture. I gave up a year ago.
Brian
Here's more info on the boat:
http://home.columbus.rr.com/ckg/

Dave C
03-20-2006, 01:52 PM
good one, bravo!
So they finally made being stupid a crime? :p