PDA

View Full Version : Rumor control at work...

Mattman
01-19-2007, 05:41 PM
Let's say you have been out of work for quite some time due to an on-duty injury. You are currently battling worker's comp and a few others over whether it's a work related injury or not. You get a call from a co-worker telling you how bad the rumors are about your situation and the co-worker asks you to clarify some things. So you do and the co-worker tells you the rumors are the complete opposite of what you have just told them. This would then explain why the phone calls have stopped, e-mails etc. However, the calls were only coming from a select few anyway. Do you get ahold of those select few to dispell those rumors to set the entire organization straight? Or since it's been so long and seems like nobody would give a fuk about what you have to say anyway, you let it go and wait until the courtroom trial stuff is over???:idea:

Ziggy
01-19-2007, 05:43 PM
IMHO, its best to keep the mouth closed when in litigation............

YeLLowBoaT
01-19-2007, 06:19 PM
IMHO, its best to keep the mouth closed when in litigation............
What he said...

RUCAV
01-19-2007, 06:20 PM
If is just your reputation, with no legal/criminal consequences, it might not be a bad idea to communicate with a select few to tell them your side of the story. If it is legal/criminal, get yourself an LDF attorney.
Are we talking Law Enforcement or private sector. The term on duty and reference to court led me to believe is LE related.

Mattman
01-19-2007, 06:22 PM
Yes it's LE but has nothing to do with legal/criminal

YeLLowBoaT
01-19-2007, 06:29 PM
When it comes to getting your bennies it can turn in to litagation really fast.
its better to let them think what ever they want. If you tell some one what happend then the person handling your claim could talk to them. Which would be bad... Now if they talk to them and they say "I heard yadda yadda, form a little bird" it will most likly be taken with little reguard...

Flyinbowtie
01-19-2007, 07:00 PM
I'm on this trail myself, just a few years further down it.
Listen closely.
GET AN ATTORNEY.
Rumors are going to be generated by people you don't trust in the first place.
Taking your time to dispell them can become a full time job.
If you are in local L.E., remember this: while you may work for a P.D. or an S.O., somewhere else in the bureacracy of the entity (city/county) there is a personnel dept and a risk manager who are contracting with a company that handles W.C. claims.
They ain't your friend. They don't give a damn about you, your injury, or if you ever heal, or even if you return to work, ever. They are singularly interested in not paying you money for anything. They will lie, mislead, and cheat you to the best of their ability, and drag this thing out for years to avoid spending a nickel.
While the chief or sheriff might love to have you back, and be damned pissed about how you are being treated and the o/t they are running up to cover you, they really don't have a lot of juice. The insurer is at the controls, and while they do listen to some input, they don't give a damn about you.
The work comp laws in this state have been in total upheaval since Arnie got control, and there are several issues that are L.E. and Fire specific that are going to be settled at the U.S. Supreme Court.
If you want to have a conversation with your boss, discuss the subjects yo wish to address wth your attorney before you have that conversation. You won't believe how quickly you can screw yourself if you don't.
And you go directly to screwed if you assume that "They're gonna take care of me, I'm a good guy"
Get an attorney. If you already have a work comp attorney, and he/she isn't already telling you this, fire him/her and get another one.
Now.

ratso
01-19-2007, 07:07 PM
I've heard of people in these type situations finally losing it and going into the workplace and just start blowing people away...:jawdrop:

vdrivenman
01-19-2007, 07:13 PM
1st is get good represntation either through your union or an independent comp/injury trial certified attorney.
keep making and scheduling your dr.,therapy appointments.
keep your prescriptions filled and don't be doing anything you shouldn't.
those that are complaining and running their heads are probably jealous and think your getting a free ride !
never settle for closed medical!

vdrivenman
01-19-2007, 07:14 PM
1st is get good representation either through your union or an independent comp/injury trial certified attorney.
keep making and scheduling your dr.,therapy appointments.
keep your prescriptions filled and don't be doing anything you shouldn't.
those that are complaining and running their heads are probably jealous and think your getting a free ride !

Flyinbowtie
01-19-2007, 07:16 PM
I've heard of people in these type situations finally losing it and going into the workplace and just start blowing people away...:jawdrop:
I would never, ever do that.
But, there is a female who works for my former employer's work comp carrier who I am not pleased with. not becasue she is doing her job, I understand all that. I am not pleased wth her because she has lied repeatedly to me, then become angry when I got an attorney, then lied to me again, and called me a liar, which, left me greatly disturbed.
In this particular case, I have, perhaps once or twice, envisioned someone placing a monster choke on her neck, and envisoned the feeling that someone might have experienced when his/ her fingers slowly moved closer together, until they touched, forming a circle around said neck.:D

Arkansas
01-19-2007, 07:17 PM
Shhhh....remember...lie to your attorney..tell your doctor the truth...

scooooter7
01-19-2007, 07:25 PM
Never ever!!

Mattman
01-19-2007, 08:51 PM
I hear what all of you are saying. My attorneys have been in place since day one. I'm coming up on two years now for being on unpaid leave and I have learned a ton about how wonderful :mad: the system is!!!

C-2
01-19-2007, 09:15 PM
I hear what all of you are saying. My attorneys have been in place since day one. I'm coming up on two years now for being on unpaid leave and I have learned a ton about how wonderful :mad: the system is!!!
Never underestimate the power of behind the door city politics, especially if you are engaged in litigation with them. Be careful when responding to any employees, current or past, especially as you move closer to trial. Rumors are a great tool to sway opinion, but not facts.
Remember, out litigating the opposing side is an effective, first-line of defense for cities. Why? Cuz it works.
If you're dealing with contract city attorney's, make sure your attorneys are on top of their game. Trust me, while there might be an Ivy-league educated associate doing all the talking, there's probably a very wise old badger making all the decisions.
Good luck and follow your gut instinct; it's usually correct.

Huckleberry
01-19-2007, 11:31 PM
In our line of work there's always the rumor mill to stir the pot. Those who know you and truly know what happened will stay in contact with you. The others who speculate and fabricate stories are a$$holes anyway and aren't worth the effort to try to straighten out. As has been said, anything you say to them, or others, to try to clear your name will only come back to haunt you. Be silent. Be patient. Have your day in court. When you're victorious and re-instated, you'll go back to work and still have those few close friends who were by your side all along. FOCK the others. The truth will eventuyally come out after you've been back for a while and all will be good. Hang in there!
PD or SO???

Mattman
01-20-2007, 06:44 AM
P.d.

centerhill condor
01-20-2007, 07:30 AM
we have a no gossip policy. makes it easier to get the work done.