PDA

View Full Version : Tragedy.

NOTALENT
01-22-2007, 10:37 AM
Well we were at ButtonWillow Raceway (Motorcylcle Track) this past saturday. During inspection/sign ups the guy next to our garage made in error somehow in the pits. His engine reved high and he wadded up somehow on a turn (in the pits)......6 Paramedics 2 Firetrucks 2 CHP's and a Helicopter later he was airlifted out. I remember him doing this as he left his garage on the way to inspection. Thinking he was going to do something and crash. Come to find out this morning that his injuries were life threatening. He ended up dying in the hospital. From what I have heard is his peg punctured his head. He was wearing NO HELMET while cruising through the pits! This is a reminder to wear your gear. It can happen anytime, anywhere, doing anything! My condolances go out to the family and friends. This is such a horrilble loss and a bad way to go.

Devil's Advocate
01-22-2007, 10:48 AM
Very sad..

Racer277
01-22-2007, 10:52 AM
Track days are very dangerous.
Not enough tech and safety inspections.
All levels of riders at one time.
Very poor mix...
Your much safer (and cheaper) going racing.

shockwaveharry
01-22-2007, 10:53 AM
You don't really think about it until you see it up close or it happens to you... Then your eyes are opened. Bike accidents happen WAY more often than I ever thought, I guess I'm just hyper-sensitive now but thats all I ever hear on the traffic reports anymore. :(

NOTALENT
01-22-2007, 10:56 AM
Track days are very dangerous.
Not enough tech and safety inspections.
All levels of riders at one time.
Very poor mix...
Your much safer (and cheaper) going racing.
The few Street ones I have been to are well organized. Pretty strict on inspections, but could be better. Different classes for the riders. And for newbies or people who havent rode there they do 3 parade laps to show them the course. They also only allow so many riders on at once. If they think your to quick for the group or to slow they black flag you and either advance you or bump you down.

Racer277
01-22-2007, 11:00 AM
I know they try.
But,
I've seen coolant in radiators, corners without workers, idiots showing off in the pits, shortages of ambulances, it goes on and on.
Go racing, it's cheaper and safer.
How did you like BW's whoop sections?

Mrs.Racer277
01-22-2007, 11:26 AM
those of you who know me, know the preaching i do about "wearing your helmet" .... all of the freaking time .... :confused: god speed brother - d-no
I agree 100%
Such sad news.

NOTALENT
01-22-2007, 01:26 PM
I know they try.
But,
I've seen coolant in radiators, corners without workers, idiots showing off in the pits, shortages of ambulances, it goes on and on.
Go racing, it's cheaper and safer.
How did you like BW's whoop sections?
Whoops section?? Are you talking about the Street track??? There are no whoops on that... One of our buddies started leaking oil from the crank case on our 5th session...they black flaged him quick and got him off to the dirt. The workers here were on top of things. All corners were covered too. The ambulances were not there, but did get there suprisingly really quick as well as the helicopter.

NOTALENT
01-22-2007, 01:30 PM
those of you who know me, know the preaching i do about "wearing your helmet" .... all of the freaking time .... :confused: god speed brother - d-no
Im always a stickler for the helmet...since I have gotten heavily into street I have become a sticler for all gear now. Full suit, boots, back protector etc.. I finally got my MotoGP Kangaroo suit in a couple weeks ago. After going down myself and a few people I know, now this guy...it really hits home. You cant put a price on safety.

Racer277
01-22-2007, 02:15 PM
Whoops section?? Are you talking about the Street track??? There are no whoops on that....
When the track gets warm (125+) the big cars start making braking bumps and whoops sections into and out of the corners.
No big deal here, I'm not raggin on you.
Track days are cool, I'm just not impressed with the cost vs. track time vs. safety issue of most of the track day promoters.
I've seen it's cheaper (if you follow the tech rules...) to sign up to race, then go to the practices prior. Even if you don't race, it's cheaper than a track day, you get more laps, and you are in a much safer environment.
If you don't fully wire your bike, change the coolant, remove the lights (tape doesn't do it) etc, then it may be cheaper to do track days, but never as safe.
Peace.

Morg
01-22-2007, 03:34 PM
Sad to here of this.
When I was racing AFM it was a very common thing for someone to crash either the night before, going out for a quick test run, or getting in a hurry & crashing in the pits in the morning. Saw a guy at Laguna AMA races crash real hard in the pits when his throttle stuck open.
A good friend of mine at the time was paralized when he did not tighten the throttle on the bars. While wide open through the s's at Sears point the throtle twisted on the bars & stopped his front brake lever from being pulled, Entering turn 11 hairpin he had no front brake.
Just a reminder, Always wear your safety gear & make sure your bike is prepaired.

Morg
01-22-2007, 03:40 PM
When the track gets warm (125+) the big cars start making braking bumps and whoops sections into and out of the corners.
Track days are cool, I'm just not impressed with the cost vs. track time vs. safety issue of most of the track day promoters.
I've seen it's cheaper (if you follow the tech rules...) to sign up to race, then go to the practices prior. Even if you don't race, it's cheaper than a track day, you get more laps, and you are in a much safer environment.
If you don't fully wire your bike, change the coolant, remove the lights (tape doesn't do it) etc, then it may be cheaper to do track days, but never as safe.
Peace.
I was working a riding school years ago put on by a famous road racer type. They supplied kawi's for the students. They asked us to blend in & show the students the lines of the track & we would get some laps in while the students were in the classroom. All was ok until I noticed one of the students bikes rear tire was green from anti-freeze. One guy went down but no biggie. Started looking at the bikes, nothing safety wired & all I checked had anti-freeze.

Trailer Park Casanova
01-22-2007, 03:47 PM
Helmet, chest protector,, and if you do go to the hospital,,, make sure tests are done for internal bleeding.
Yea, you can slowly internally bleed to death sitting there drinking a beer watching the tube.
A person in our group died just that way last month.
A little girl killed last year at the whoop at Dumont when she crushed her tiny chest on the handelbars.
A good quality, comfortable/liteweight chest protector is $49 at any Honda/Yami dealer.
Maynard, pictured in my Avatar regularly gets launched at 45mph,, and walks away.

NOTALENT
01-22-2007, 05:13 PM
Peace.
Hmm...the track was suprisingly smooth. Maybe it was repaved since your last visit?? A few small bumps in the straight, but thats about it. Im not to the point to get my racers license yet, so thats not an option. $130 got us 8 20 minute sessions. Would have been more but got delayed bigtime because of this accident and another. Im not worried about the money. As long as there are no cars crossing the line or dirt in the road im happy.:D I was satasfied with it...and was definatley tired at the end of the day.

SoCalHD
01-22-2007, 05:21 PM
Couple of my bros and I have been thinking about renting one of the local tracks for a weekday.......That would be the ideal-having a track to yourself with people you are used to riding with.

NOTALENT
01-22-2007, 05:23 PM
Couple of my bros and I have been thinking about renting one of the local tracks for a weekday.......That would be the ideal-having a track to yourself with people you are used to riding with.
Have you looked into costs?? I would be interested and have a some other buddies as well (if you wanted to cut down on costs).

RidinRed
01-24-2007, 12:36 AM
Terrible news! what screwed up way to go, in the pits. I have a friend who also grew tired of the street and took to track days and eventually AFM. Saw lots of stuff at the track. Usually in the accidents on the track, rider will come out on top though. Thanks to all the gear and saftey precautions.