PDA

View Full Version : Video Editing: MiniDV to DVD.

dmontzsta
01-23-2007, 09:36 PM
So here is my dilemma. I have around 3 hours of footage on MiniDV. I want to transfer it on my computer, so I have a digital archive as well. Then I will save it on my computer and burn a DVD copy. So eventually I will have the footage on MiniDV, HardDrive (For Viewing Whenever) and a DVD in case my drive fails or MiniDV gets damaged. Also, so I can watch it on the DVD player, without hooking up the camcorder.
Any of you went through this yet?
The camcorder came with a program, but when I edit it to .avi, it is HUGE. Plus, for some reason it looks darker once it is edited (a good bit darker). When I watch it on the camcorder directly or with the camcorder hook into the TV, it is alot brighter and crisp.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Kindsvater Flat
01-23-2007, 09:42 PM
ask Jerry.

dmontzsta
01-23-2007, 09:43 PM
ask Jerry.
I did. He said he transfers it to DVD, then he keeps it on a miniDV. He is also on a MAC.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
01-23-2007, 10:46 PM
So here is my dilemma. I have around 3 hours of footage on MiniDV. I want to transfer it on my computer, so I have a digital archive as well. Then I will save it on my computer and burn a DVD copy. So eventually I will have the footage on MiniDV, HardDrive (For Viewing Whenever) and a DVD in case my drive fails or MiniDV gets damaged. Also, so I can watch it on the DVD player, without hooking up the camcorder.
Any of you went through this yet?
The camcorder came with a program, but when I edit it to .avi, it is HUGE. Plus, for some reason it looks darker once it is edited (a good bit darker). When I watch it on the camcorder directly or with the camcorder hook into the TV, it is alot brighter and crisp.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Get a MAC.;)
Forget about storing it on the hard drive, what's the point? If you're so worried about archiving. Make another mini DVD copy from firewire, burn an editied and unedited DVD or 2 and make an edited copy to dvd vhs and 8mm. Hell, you can even take a still picture of every frame and save it on a picture disc.:hammer2:
Maybe you could talk one of your friends who has a Mac into helping you for that Banner you've been promising him for like 4 months....:eek:

FryJet
01-23-2007, 10:56 PM
Im not really familiar with mini DVD's but will it play on your puter just like a full size?
F.J.

dmontzsta
01-23-2007, 10:57 PM
Get a MAC.;)
Forget about storing it on the hard drive, what's the point? If you're so worried about archiving. Make another mini DVD copy from firewire, burn an editied and unedited DVD or 2 and make an edited copy to dvd vhs and 8mm. Hell, you can even take a still picture of every frame and save it on a picture disc.:hammer2:
Maybe you could talk one of your friends who has a Mac into helping you for that Banner you've been promising him for like 4 months....:eek:
Get a Mac? lol. So I can spend $300 every couple of months for an "upgrade". :D
The question now is, what format should I use to get the most accurate and highest quality transfer?
Also, I am not printing a banner of Santa's sack haning out of his tighty whiteys, keep that shit to yourself and stop sending me the nudes. :jawdrop:

dmontzsta
01-23-2007, 10:58 PM
Im not really familiar with mini DVD's but will it play on your puter just like a full size?
F.J.
I am not dealing with miniDVDs, there is no point. :)

Beer-30
01-23-2007, 11:19 PM
I have two brother-in-laws that use this for all their Camcorder to DVD editing.
They swear there is nothing else to use but this:
http://www.digitalriver.com/v2.0-img/operations/pinncle/site/353004/1_studio-chart.html

FryJet
01-23-2007, 11:20 PM
I am not dealing with miniDVDs, there is no point. :)
Whoops, I thought you said MiniDVD but now I see its MiniDV. I guess its time to take a nap.
F.J.

Havasu Hangin'
01-24-2007, 07:10 AM
The question now is, what format should I use to get the most accurate and highest quality transfer?
The Mini DV tape creates a very big (AVI) file, because it is very high resolution- it's as high as it's gonna get.
I use Pinnacle 10 (http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer+Products/Home+Video/Studio+Family/) software to capture and edit. It's around $100.

Craig
01-26-2007, 07:01 AM
I user Pinnicle Studio 10 as well. I'm just learning how to transfer from my DV camcorder to the hard drive and then to DVD. It's a good program. I dump the tape to the harddrive, edit out any bs and then to DVD. The avi format is large but you keep the quality.
Craig

Never Too Old
01-26-2007, 08:40 AM
The easiest way I have found is to not use a computer.
Bought a DVD player/recorder with a 160GB harddrive. Transfer from camcorder to HD with one button; dub to a DVD with one button. Done.
Plus, it's so easy to record from TV. Again, just one button. No media to insert.

cxr133
01-26-2007, 09:37 AM
what OS does oyour computer have?
Just use windows movie maker and save as mpeg2... that will compress the files to make them more manageable and still give you good quality.
Then use your DVD burner software to make DVD movies.
This is the cheapest... quickest way... most user friendly way that i have found to do it and i do alot of video editing.
Another solution is to buy ULEAD Videostudio.. it will transfer.. make MPG2 and make DVD all from the same software package