PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Know the Story on Down Town Long Beach?

shockwaveharry
01-23-2007, 09:45 PM
Like on Ocean near the Convention Center? I see lots of improvments going on but are there big plans for the future? How's the night life? Looks like lots of restaurants, I've seen a few bars. If it's not upscale now, do you think it ever will be? It looks like there is money in the area, especially being so close to the harbor. My experience there is limited to the Grand Prix and a few trips to the Queen Mary.

Trailer Park Casanova
01-23-2007, 10:02 PM
What you see is classic smoke and mirrors.
If the developers get too high profile with what their plans are, the old timers who have some juice in City politics show up and stand in the way of it.
Doesn't matter what you want to build, they're against it.
If the old geezers get their way or not, they will cost you plenty in dealing with their interferance.
They stand in the way of development because they feel like it, and have nothing but time to do so.

andy01
01-23-2007, 10:26 PM
They have tried to make it like the old "Pike" it is okay until later at then it is just Long Beach again. Not bad ealier in the night though. The yardhouse and such goes off pretty late. You down this way now Harry?

shockwaveharry
01-23-2007, 10:33 PM
They have tried to make it like the old "Pike" it is okay until later at then it is just Long Beach again. Not bad ealier in the night though. The yardhouse and such goes off pretty late. You down this way now Harry?
I was in the neighborhood and noticed how nice it looked. Had the classy "big city" feel to a point and it's a hell of a lot shorter drive to Newport than I have right now. Just trying to get an idea of what to expect in the future. If the city is planning major renovations that is always a good thing.

djunkie
01-23-2007, 10:44 PM
Lots of good restauraunts but don't go walking around there too late in the evening. Especially around Gameworks. My g/f and I go to eat at the Pike a lot. PF Changs, Yardhouse, Outback, Cal Pizza Kitchen, Islands, Bubba Gump (which sucks by the way, but the g/f likes it)

andy01
01-23-2007, 10:44 PM
I was in the neighborhood and noticed how nice it looked. Had the classy "big city" feel to a point and it's a hell of a lot shorter drive to Newport than I have right now. Just trying to get an idea of what to expect in the future. If the city is planning major renovations that is always a good thing.
It's been on a clean up for about 5 years now, but it is just really starting to show in the last couple. Not to bad a place. You could look into Belmont Shore/2nd street area. That is nice and in between there and your work.

GrapeApe
01-23-2007, 11:01 PM
My Buddy owns a Nightclub there V20. One of his Security Guards has been stabbed, and they have been shot at when closing, trying to clear out the Parking Lots.. :eek:
*** Grape Ape ***

bchbum
01-24-2007, 05:50 AM
Long Beach is trying to become big time . They arejust finisning a $ 34 millon redo of the marina downtown . There are restants everywhere ,But no parking (metered only ) .Condos are allover ,starting at about $ 400,000 to over $ 1.5 mil. Five minutes away is the low low income area . There,s alot of really good places to go , just need to keep your eyes open .
I have worked for L.B. for over 24 years , so I have seen alot of changes most good a few bad .

HavasuSelect
01-24-2007, 06:41 AM
You gotta remember Downtown Long Beach is just a 5 min trip from San Pedro (No offense Djunkie:D ). Try Belmont Shores, it's a little further South. I'll take the nightlife there over "The OC" any day of the week.

djunkie
01-24-2007, 06:53 AM
You gotta remember Downtown Long Beach is just a 5 min trip from San Pedro (No offense Djunkie:D ). Try Belmont Shores, it's a little further South. I'll take the nightlife there over "The OC" any day of the week.
Luckily I live in RPV. :D

HavasuSelect
01-24-2007, 07:19 AM
Luckily I live in RPV. :D
LOL, then you're ok. But here's the real question. Do you own a shirt that says "San Pedro"?

yopengo
01-24-2007, 08:05 AM
I’ll take the Belmont/ 2nd street area over downtown any day. My wife’s family has two businesses on 2nd street. Fun place and some cool bars. Murphy’s Pub is a cool place to hang. They all love to go to downtown LB and I can’t stand it. Good food but I hate the parking and the city vibe (any city).

Baja Big Dog
01-24-2007, 08:16 AM
And Long Beach likes Harley's, not asshooles like Huntington...we want to be like Newport...Beach!!

djunkie
01-24-2007, 11:00 AM
LOL, then you're ok. But here's the real question. Do you own a shirt that says "San Pedro"?
Yes, quite a few, since I'm friends with the owner of the surf shop. I grew up a Pedro boy but my adress is RPV.

gqchris
01-24-2007, 11:23 AM
And Long Beach likes Harley's, not asshooles like Huntington...we want to be like Newport...Beach!!
Quite the contrary actually, drive your scoot down there on the weekend, and you WILL net yourself a loud pipe ticket that is non-correctable. I live downtown, they have signs now stating "Loud Pipes will be cited". This is only downtown and tourist areas. Anywhere else in city, they are too busy fighting real crime to care about it.

unleashed
01-24-2007, 11:36 AM
Hey what about Seal Beach??? It still has that small town feel and the freeway isnt to far!
Deano
UnleashedHardcoreApparel (http://www.unleashedclothing.com):devil:

gqchris
01-24-2007, 11:41 AM
I have to chime in here, because Downtown Long Beach holds a "special" place in my heart.
I used to own a smaller italian restaurant on Pine Avenue. We were open from 1998 to 2003. In 1998, Downtown was just being revitalized. Mums was really the ground breaking restaurant to start our whole "restaurant row". Lots of broken promises were made by the commision and the Mayor then, Beverly. We were told of the potential it had and the city would back us up for whatever need be.
So, fast forward 4 years later. 09/11 happens, conventions stop coming. Restaurants start closing, mine included. My business was 95% tourist. Why? Because the same reason every local tells you, and as evident here, NO parking, and dont walk alone at night. We fought EVERY inch of the way against the PIKE, and the chains. Who is going to try a family owned local restaurant when PF Changs, Islands and Chilis is right next door? Disney wanted to put an amusement park in that space, tidelands complained, city backed them. So how is this new complex any different? City called me on my last days asking, "What can we do to help, we have a designated 09/11 fund to assist?". I asked, lets work out something on these yearly fire, dance, and health permit fees, totalling over 15k a year. Their answer? Sorry cant help with those.
Anyways, sorry for the rant. Please when us locals do go down and check out downtown, please support some of the great local restaurants down there. They are owned by peeps like us trying to make a living and barley hanging on. YOu can eat Chilis in any city. For the true flavor of what we tried to pioneer down there, walk up the "hill"
Chris

Baja Big Dog
01-24-2007, 12:15 PM
Quite the contrary actually, drive your scoot down there on the weekend, and you WILL net yourself a loud pipe ticket that is non-correctable. I live downtown, they have signs now stating "Loud Pipes will be cited". This is only downtown and tourist areas. Anywhere else in city, they are too busy fighting real crime to care about it.
Now that really sucks...I thought it was too good to be true, looks like we will have to stick to Joe Josts...nothin better than a Pabst and a special

gqchris
01-24-2007, 12:25 PM
Now that really sucks...I thought it was too good to be true, looks like we will have to stick to Joe Josts...nothin better than a Pabst and a special
I have to agree with ya on this one!:)

01-24-2007, 01:44 PM
L.b. Sux

HavasuSelect
01-24-2007, 04:11 PM
Yes, quite a few, since I'm friends with the owner of the surf shop. I grew up a Pedro boy but my adress is RPV.
Nice. You're talking about Pedro Surf N Sport? I bought my bodyboard and a Pedro shirt from them. It's a cool little shop.

Faceaz
01-24-2007, 08:35 PM
I just spent a couple of years there, constructing 2 of the towers downtown. The night life is great, definately a younger age group. There is a substantial amount of homeless people though. During construction, we were constantly chasing hookers, taggers & homeless out of the parking garage. They'de always leave behind a nice present like a crack pipe, drug needles or a pile of shit for the laborers to clean up.

bchbum
01-24-2007, 08:41 PM
Now Long Beach has radar on Shoreline Dr. everyday , in the morning heading toward the freeway . Later it's on Ocean heading both ways . Got to pay that LARGE pay raise they got .

shockwaveharry
01-24-2007, 08:54 PM
I just spent a couple of years there, constructing 2 of the towers downtown...
Did you build the two "Aqua" towers?

Faceaz
01-24-2007, 09:08 PM
That would be it, what a nightmare. I was brought in after the water damage hit. The buildings were essentially done when a Fire Sprinkler broke on the 18th floor & flooded the East Tower.

bwillieb
01-24-2007, 09:34 PM
..........I lived aboard in the area mid 70's to mid 80's........the different towns, Long Beach and south were quite distinguishable.........my last trip through my old haunts left me with the feeling that Long Beach to the Mexican border is a continuim the same town, virtually uninterrupted except for the traffic lights.............

Misogynist
01-24-2007, 09:46 PM
Burbank did a good job of screwing up their downtown with overbuilding and promising all these good things, only to have the redevelopment stall after they built a 14plex theater WITHOUT PARKING. They are finally finishing the parking structure 6 years after the fact. If you went up there on a weekend you couldn't find a place to park without a hassle.

Never Too Old
01-25-2007, 06:39 AM
Los Angeles County has about 225 single family houses with their own boat slips. They're all in Long Beach. That is, IMO, Long Beach's redeeming quality.

boatnam2
01-25-2007, 08:11 AM
It's been on a clean up for about 5 years now, but it is just really starting to show in the last couple. Not to bad a place. You could look into Belmont Shore/2nd street area. That is nice and in between there and your work.
belmont and 2nd yea right better like smoking pole.buy a place at aqua towers sweet place,walk to night life.nice view of ocean and shore line village and catalina,best seat for the gran prix.your own walk way to convention center.i would buy there but im scared of heights!

NOTALENT
01-25-2007, 08:19 AM
They are trying to get rid of the projects....buy out everyone, improve it and make there money. They just bough two of my buddies apartment buildings right there. They paid him $500k over what they were worth and told him they want to bring the place back. (city bought them)
The night life is great as long as your inside a restaurant or club. The thugs chill on the streets...I havent seen any problems with them though. Other than some of the clubs being filled with thugs...

NOTALENT
01-25-2007, 08:21 AM
belmont and 2nd yea right better like smoking pole.buy a place at aqua towers sweet place,walk to night life.nice view of ocean and shore line village and catalina,best seat for the gran prix.your own walk way to convention center.i would buy there but im scared of heights!
Have you checked out the Aqua tower??? I sent out for information on buying there, but havent checked where it was located yet or anything like that.

yopengo
01-25-2007, 08:30 AM
Man a beer and a JJ "special" that is exactly what I need today.

boatnam2
01-25-2007, 08:30 AM
yea we went and checked it out,very nice...the 14 floor the on the corner was bad ass,your own deck all the way around,10ft ceiling.if your single and a player cant go wrong.can get a city veiw pretty cheap.

boatnam2
01-25-2007, 08:33 AM
it is straight across from the building with all the whales.race cars go by at the bottom of the tower.pool is on the 2nd floor about ocean blvd.nice little gym,can buy a garage for 35k.i have been looking at the vue in san pedro also but not the night life and things going on like LBC.and whos cares about crime you in your secruity watched high rise.might get the occasional bum pissing on your way into the parking structure lol

NOTALENT
01-25-2007, 09:01 AM
yea we went and checked it out,very nice...the 14 floor the on the corner was bad ass,your own deck all the way around,10ft ceiling.if your single and a player cant go wrong.can get a city veiw pretty cheap.
Do you remember what they were going for?? I dont....:D

boatnam2
01-25-2007, 09:23 AM
probaly less then when we were looking.city view was around 300k ocean 450 or so up to 1 million.

boatnam2
01-25-2007, 09:28 AM
http://www.aqualb.com/news.php?page=10

boatnam2
01-25-2007, 09:29 AM
they use to list what was available but i guess not no more.www.aqualb.com is the web site.

Faceaz
01-25-2007, 10:21 AM
They are trying to get rid of the projects....buy out everyone, improve it and make there money. They just bough two of my buddies apartment buildings right there. They paid him $500k over what they were worth and told him they want to bring the place back. (city bought them)
The night life is great as long as your inside a restaurant or club. The thugs chill on the streets...I havent seen any problems with them though. Other than some of the clubs being filled with thugs...
Let me guess, the apartments are close to 10 yrs old? If so, this is becoming very common. Developers are coming in, converting apartments to condos, then suing the original builder for construction defects. There's one guy in Phoenix, where that's all he does. Aqua started out as apartments & was converted to condos during construction by the owner. In doing so, he can sell the condos individually & make his money back quickly. When he did it, we insisted he carry an OCIP (owner carried insurance) policy for any claims on construction defects.